Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
ok, these have been out in the wild for at least several days...

any more actual user reports?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #723 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Except that dos pesos don't equal 2 cents.

Literary license. Otherwise, it would have been 0.261798 pesos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

post #724 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Sorry I've been away from this thread for a while; we had a quarterly board meeting recently which put me behind the 8-ball for the better part of two weeks between preparation and decompression/catch-up.

Regarding 4 subwoofers, we've tried dual AS-EQ1 vs. one AS-EQ1 with Y splitters. Frankly the single unit with Y splitters gets a comprehensive look at how all four subwoofers interact in the room when pinged at the same time, which is an advantage over dual units each running just two subs. In that regard, I consider it a superior solution to dual AS-EQ1.

We've also determined that if you are going to run quad subs with one AS-EQ1, the results will be better when each pair of subs are on adjacent walls and not opposite walls.

Regarding MAC users, this is straight from the Audyssey SubEQ code team: "We do not support emulators of Windows. Both MultEQ Pro and SubEQ applications only support Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit). Bootcamp is allowed when XP or Vista (32 bit) is used. But no emulators of Windows (such as Parallels) are supported. They are not tested and should never be used in the field."

Regarding balanced I/O: As others have already stated, we inquired about them early in the development process. They were not a hardware option at the time on the Audyssey external Pro box, on which the AS-EQ1 is based. So the idea was nixed early on. The overwhelming majority of our customers use RCA interconnects, but there remains a small (yet exceedingly vocal) group of balanced users. They can either use a passive adapter (which unbalances the interconnect), or an active unbalanced/balanced converter (like the Behringer unit previously hotlinked) for about $100.

Regarding the Audyssey Subwooofer Equalizer, it is identical in all respects (indeed they are made side-by-side) to the AS-EQ1, except that it is designed to accept the Pro mic from the Installer Kit.

Regarding the differences between the AS-EQ1 and consumer AVRs with MultEQ XT - the AS-EQ1 has more processing power, greater filter resolution, and more sophisticated algorithms. Customers can/will hear an improvement in the bass quality with the AS-EQ1 over a consumer AVR with MultEQ XT. It can also handle dual subs of course. Whether these improvements/advantages are worth the asking price is up to each enthusiasts to decide. We are sold out of the first production run, and have already pre-sold a good portion of the second production run, and early reports from overseas users are all exceedingly positive. So it appears we've struck a chord with this product with respect to price/performance ratio.

If I missed any recent issues, let me know; I'll try to keep a closer watch on this thread.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #725 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Sorry I've been away from this thread for a while; we had a quarterly board meeting recently which put me behind the 8-ball for the better part of two weeks between preparation and decompression/catch-up.

If I missed any recent issues, let me know; I'll try to keep a closer watch on this thread.

We were drifting a bit. Thanks for putting the thread back on track. Lots of nuggets in your post. I'm going to link it in the "guide".

- it's never done!

post #726 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

... there remains a small (yet exceedingly vocal) group of balanced users.

Zing!
post #727 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Wireless member

Are credit cards charged upon the AS-EQ1 shipping?

- it's never done!

post #728 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regarding MAC users, this is straight from the Audyssey SubEQ code team: "We do not support emulators of Windows. Both MultEQ Pro and SubEQ applications only support Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit). Bootcamp is allowed when XP or Vista (32 bit) is used. But no emulators of Windows (such as Parallels) are supported. They are not tested and should never be used in the field."

While they may officially not support emulators I can verify that Parallels running XP sp3 works perfectly with Audyssey Pro v3 software using an Inel MacBook laptop. I've run it in the neighborhood of 10 times and haven't had any problems.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #729 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Are credit cards charged upon the AS-EQ1 shipping?

Yes, only upon shipping.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #730 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

While they may officially not support emulators I can verify that Parallels running XP sp3 works perfectly with Audyssey Pro v3 software using an Inel MacBook laptop. I've run it in the neighborhood of 10 times and haven't had any problems.

I think it was a disclaimer.

- it's never done!

post #731 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Zing!

It really wasn't meant to come off that way - the balanced users are in the distinct minority and we've heard them L&C - it just wasn't in the cards on this release. No product can be all things to all users at a given price point - there are always concessions and compromises and balanced I/O was one of them. As previously stated, there are alternatives and work-arounds.

If we ever do a V2 balanced I/O will get a strong vote, particularly now that Audyssey does have a balanced version of the Pro box, so the hardware/chassis now exists for a transplant where it didn't previously. This is all pure speculation on my part, I'm just trying to be as transparent as possible on the balanced I/O issue and its history on this particular product.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #732 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right - I can only relay the official Audyssey position on MAC emulators as they relate to the AS-EQ1. What may work with Audy Pro may not work with the AS-EQ1 - so proceed at your own risk.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #733 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So Ed, about shipping mine out to me...
post #734 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Ed!

The unit is incredibly good. I have done a 2nd run with 32 positions. The results are awesome! But I need to do a lot more experimentation with sub positions!

I have a few questions, which I hope you could answer:

1. Using the AS-EQ1 mic and software, the FL speaker reads as 75 db during the level check. After doing this, I use the pink noise of my Denon 3808 CI and a Radioshack SPL meter (C-weighting, slow) to set the levels of the other speakers to equal the FL speaker. What I find surprising is that the RS SPL meter reads 69 db, not 75. Could the RS meter be that inaccurate? How accurate is the AS-EQ1 mic?

2. I expected that the sub calibration would involve chirps (or more like thuds) sent to the subs for each measuring position. Actually, a chirp is first sent to the FL speaker and then to the subs. I'm really curious why this is done. Is there some form of triangulation that the software does, for which it needs the chirp of the FL speaker?

Mark

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #735 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

I expected that the sub calibration would involve chirps (or more like thuds) sent to the subs for each measuring position. Actually, a chirp is first sent to the FL speaker and then to the subs. I'm really curious why this is done. Is there some form of triangulation that the software does, for which it needs the chirp of the FL speaker?

Level-matching.

- it's never done!

post #736 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Level-matching.

Pepar, the level matching part happens beforehand. Pink noise is sent to the FL speaker and the subs and then you need to adjust the trim of the FL and the volume knob of the subs to bring them all to 75 db at 0.0 on the master volume of the AVR.

What I refer to happens when chirps are sent to the subs. Chirps are also sent to the FL speaker and I am thinking that this may be a way for the software to determine the exact position of the mic in the room because he gets the distance from the subs and the distance from the FL speaker - triangulation.

Mark

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #737 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Are you using version 4 of Parallels or are you on an earlier version? Hopefully the AS-EQ1 will work on Parallels as well!

Cheers!
post #738 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Hi Ed!

1. Using the AS-EQ1 mic and software, the FL speaker reads as 75 db during the level check. After doing this, I use the pink noise of my Denon 3808 CI and a Radioshack SPL meter (C-weighting, slow) to set the levels of the other speakers to equal the FL speaker. What I find surprising is that the RS SPL meter reads 69 db, not 75. Could the RS meter be that inaccurate? How accurate is the AS-EQ1 mic?

Mark

Mark,

Can't you use the AS-EQ1 mic (move the cable to the other inputs on your AVR/PRE) to do the level matching? I assumed this from the manual but could be wrong. I think the Audyssey mic is much flatter and more accurate than the RS mic. I have 3 SPL meters, the RS being one of them (and the cheapest) and it's always off by about 3-5db compared to my other ones (one of which is a calibrated one). The RS is good for 'relative' levels, but not absolute levels.

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #739 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Mark,

Can't you use the AS-EQ1 mic (move the cable to the other inputs on your AVR/PRE) to do the level matching? I assumed this from the manual but could be wrong. I think the Audyssey mic is much flatter and more accurate than the RS mic. I have 3 SPL meters, the RS being one of them (and the cheapest) and it's always off by about 3-5db compared to my other ones (one of which is a calibrated one). The RS is good for 'relative' levels, but not absolute levels.

Ray

Yes, you can use the AS-EQ1 mic to do the level matching, but its kind of a hassle. You would need to move the cable for each speaker (and maybe switch off the power amp before you do that). Using the RS meter and the internal pink noise of the AVR is much simpler.

Actually, since the AS-EQ1 mic is used to measure the FL speaker and set it at an absolute 75 db at the 0.0 master volume level, all you need to do is use the RS meter and make sure that the other speakers match whatever reading it has with the FL speaker. Therefore, the RS meter is being used for 'relative' levels, which should be fine. I'm just curious why there is such a big difference between the reading of the AS-EQ1 mic and the RS meter.

Another interesting thing is that during one run, I mistakenly used the Audyssey mic of the Denon 3808 for the level-matching of the AS-EQ1 so I had to re-run, using the AS-EQ1 mic. The difference in trim between the Denon 3808 mic and the AS-EQ1 mic was around 2 db. Quite big.

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #740 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"the level matching part happens beforehand."

Beforehand levels will be altered by the EQ.

Noah
post #741 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Hi Guys

I got mine yesterday (thanks Mike),set it up last night ,Onkyo 886 -2 x Velodyne DD15 , and I must say it is a big improvement ,Bass sound much clearer and somehow I would say faster ,I have a acoustically trimmed room and had always a Bass hole at 48 HZ which I never could fix with the velodynes EQ .After the 2 hour procedure I got a total flat bass curve and it sound great ,both music and movies .
My only concern was during the set up ,a chirp is first sent to the FL speaker and then to the subs ,I had some background noise on the FL speaker all the time , at that moment I plugged in the Sub/Sat cable to the Multi channel in on my Amp I got this Ground noise (high pitch) not to loud but I could here it .I unplugged everything used different cables ,nothing was helping .I was surprised as my room is isolated from the rest of the house ,Light -Air con - Sound-Picture -Subs have individual fuses plus stabilizer and electric cleaning filters .Anyhow I continued the set up ,incl. this noise on the FL speaker ,and it seems to me it was not interfering the outcome ,as it sounds just superb .
In case anybody have any idea where this noise is coming from , please let me know .

Herbert
post #742 of 6280 Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"the level matching part happens beforehand."

Beforehand levels will be altered by the EQ.

Yes but only for the sub. That's why at the end of the sub eq, the software gives you the absolute trim level for the sub(s) which you should input to your AVR but you don't change the levels of the other speakers.

The steps are:

1. You go through a level-matching procedure wherein you set the FL speaker to 75 db at 0.0 master volume and you match this to each subwoofer thru the volume knob of the subs. Insofar as the subs are concerned, I would think that the main idea is to get each sub to produce the same SPL at the main listening position.

2. You match the levels of the other speakers to the FL speaker.

3. After the sub EQ is done, you adjust the trim of the sub, in accordance with what the software tells you.

Mark

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #743 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post

Are you using version 4 of Parallels or are you on an earlier version? Hopefully the AS-EQ1 will work on Parallels as well!

Cheers!

I'm using Parallels 3.0

Quote:
post #744 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right, I understand what a disclaimer is. I also understand that a certain software may not be officially cleared to work under another piece of software. If all of us only listened to these 'disclaimers' we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Just think where you'd be if you followed the O/I 'disclaimer' of not performing FW updates except through service centers.

Quote:
post #745 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Right, I understand what a disclaimer is. I also understand that a certain software may not be officially cleared to work under another piece of software. If all of us only listened to these 'disclaimers' we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Just think where you'd be if you followed the O/I 'disclaimer' of not performing FW updates except through service centers.

Then you understand that a disclaimer is really someone saying "don't do it 'cause if you do and screw something up we don't want to hear you whine."

- it's never done!

post #746 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I'm using Parallels 3.0

Thank you!
post #747 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token1 View Post

Hi Guys

I got mine yesterday (thanks Mike),set it up last night ,Onkyo 886 -2 x Velodyne DD15 , and I must say it is a big improvement ,Bass sound much clearer and somehow I would say faster ,I have a acoustically trimmed room and had always a Bass hole at 48 HZ which I never could fix with the velodynes EQ .After the 2 hour procedure I got a total flat bass curve and it sound great ,both music and movies .
My only concern was during the set up ,a chirp is first sent to the FL speaker and then to the subs ,I had some background noise on the FL speaker all the time , at that moment I plugged in the Sub/Sat cable to the Multi channel in on my Amp I got this Ground noise (high pitch) not to loud but I could here it .I unplugged everything used different cables ,nothing was helping .I was surprised as my room is isolated from the rest of the house ,Light -Air con - Sound-Picture -Subs have individual fuses plus stabilizer and electric cleaning filters .Anyhow I continued the set up ,incl. this noise on the FL speaker ,and it seems to me it was not interfering the outcome ,as it sounds just superb .
In case anybody have any idea where this noise is coming from , please let me know .

Herbert

Is the PC you are using with the AS-EQ1 plugged in and grounded? If so, (laptop) try running on battery, or alternatively use a cheater and remove the ground to see if that eliminates the gound loop.
post #748 of 6280 Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Hello dougmcbride

thanks that is a good Idea .PC is a HP Laptop ,I did not thought about it to run it only with the battery ,

Herbert
post #749 of 6280 Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Ed!

The unit is incredibly good. I have done a 2nd run with 32 positions. The results are awesome! But I need to do a lot more experimentation with sub positions!

I have a few questions, which I hope you could answer:

2. I expected that the sub calibration would involve chirps (or more like thuds) sent to the subs for each measuring position. Actually, a chirp is first sent to the FL speaker and then to the subs. I'm really curious why this is done. Is there some form of triangulation that the software does, for which it needs the chirp of the FL speaker?

Mark

The Operator Manual does not say keep the FL/Center RCA connector connected while sub EQ is being performed. Once the speakers are level matched to the sub(s), the FL/Center output does not seem to be needed for the next step of sub eq.

I am curious to know why the FL speaker (and others) is set to LARGE when level matching. Wouldn't the SPL produced from a speaker at any given trim level be different when it is LARGE compared to when it is small? Wouldn't this make a difference then when comparing SPL from any speaker to the SPL from other speakers and the sub? If we level match the speakers to each other and the subs when all the speakers are set to LARGE, the match would not hold when the speakers are then set back to SMALL at various x-overs. Should we not be level matching all speakers at whatever x-over we eventually intend to use them?
post #750 of 6280 Old 04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihifi View Post

The Operator Manual does not say keep the FL/Center RCA connector connected while sub EQ is being performed. Once the speakers are level matched to the sub(s), the FL/Center output does not seem to be needed for the next step of sub eq.

That's what I thought too. That's why I was surprised.

Quote:

I am curious to know why the FL speaker (and others) is set to LARGE when level matching. Wouldn't the SPL produced from a speaker at any given trim level be different when it is LARGE compared to when it is small? Wouldn't this make a difference then when comparing SPL from any speaker to the SPL from other speakers and the sub? If we level match the speakers to each other and the subs when all the speakers are set to LARGE, the match would not hold when the speakers are then set back to SMALL at various x-overs. Should we not be level matching all speakers at whatever x-over we eventually intend to use them?

My understanding is that the pink noise used for setting speaker levels is limited to 500-2000 hz, in which case it doesn't matter if your speaker is LARGE or SMALL cuz no sub xover is set at 500 hz or higher.

My Focal Utopia HT:
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page