Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Good to here that you are happy with the results of your AS-EQ1 Fatawan,

Would you say that your system as A whole sounds better now/rest of your speakers ??

It sounds like the Audyssey XT built into the PRE-PRO works better with the AS-EQ1 in the chain because the PRE-PRO's XT does'nt have to calculate filters for the Subs.....

Cheers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Any official specs? Link?

It is the same except for the capability of using the Pro Kit mic. It will be sold to their Pro Installers.
post #903 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
For those of you setting up your AS-EQ1s over the next few days, here's an interesing post over at HTS from Ed Mullen.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post169402

Cheers,

Doug
post #904 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

It sounds like the Audyssey XT built into the PRE-PRO works better with the AS-EQ1 in the chain because the PRE-PRO's XT does'nt have to calculate filters for the Subs.....

Cheers....

?? It may work faster because it does not have to calculate filters for the subs at all but it should not work "better" since the filters/DSP allocated to each channel are fixed. Freeing up one should not have any effect on the others.

I might work "better" simply because the the DSP allocated to the sub is significantly greater in the As-EQ1 than in MultEQXT.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #905 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Wireless member

Wouldn't it be nice if . . MultEQ XT became AS-EQ1-aware and reallocated filters and filter resolution for the main channels.
post #906 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if . . MultEQ XT became AS-EQ1-aware and reallocated filters and filter resolution for the main channels.

Yes!
How would that work?
FW update, or even possible?

Mike
post #907 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Yes! How would that work? FW update, or even possible?
Mike

I would think that [they] might not go for [becoming AS-EQ1 aware] so much as identifying that 1) there is no sub to correct or 2) the sub response is perfect and needs no correction (i.e. AS-EQ1 feedback loop). Then re-allocate the processing resources appropriately. But unless this is already part of the construct for other 'missing' channels (~2.0/3.1/5.1) -- this probably would take a big change in the program structure. It might greatly increase the size of the program code if it involves completely different sub-routines for the expanded fidelity on the remaining channels...

v/r,
C-F
post #908 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

I would think that [they] might not go for [becoming AS-EQ1 aware] so much as identifying that 1) there is no sub to correct or 2) the sub response is perfect and needs no correction (i.e. AS-EQ1 feedback loop). Then re-allocate the processing resources appropriately. But unless this is already part of the construct for other 'missing' channels (~2.0/3.1/5.1) -- this probably would take a big change in the program structure. It might greatly increase the size of the program code if it involves completely different sub-routines for the expanded fidelity on the remaining channels...

Hi C-F, your musings seem plausible for the next step; rather than be - specifically - AS-EQ1-aware, sense no sub or no sub to correct and reallocate on the fly. Musings though, all of it.
post #909 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Would you say that your system as A whole sounds better now/rest of your speakers ??

That's hard to answer. I can definitely hear the other parts of the music more clearly, and I am also noting an expanded soundstage out beyond the main speakers, but I am not sure if that is because the bass has been cleared up so well or I am just looking for it or ????
post #910 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

That's hard to answer. I can definitely hear the other parts of the music more clearly, and I am also noting an expanded soundstage out beyond the main speakers, but I am not sure if that is because the bass has been cleared up so well or I am just looking for it or ????

Well, cleaning up the bottom can typically allow one to hear other things - subtleties - that were not discernible before. I'd say that other parts more clearly and an expanded soundstage qualifies as "better."
post #911 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

It is the same except for the capability of using the Pro Kit mic. It will be sold to their Pro Installers.

They are producing a totally different version of the AS-EQ1 just to allow the Pro mic to be used? Wow. You would have thought a simple switch on the unit to tell it what type of mic is being used would have worked just as well.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #912 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

They are producing a totally different version of the AS-EQ1 just to allow the Pro mic to be used? Wow. You would have thought a simple switch on the unit to tell it what type of mic is being used would have worked just as well.

It is the same except for the capability of using the Pro Kit mic.

Not totally different . . same . . except for . . .

The Pro Kit mic is a calibrated mic with a calibration file, and that implies that there is a way to load the calibration file into the AS-EQ1. Logically, that would be into the software on the PC.

Sooo, the hardware is identical with only the software being slightly different . . I guess.
post #913 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

You were joking, right?
post #914 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The Pro Kit mic is a calibrated mic with a calibration file, and that implies that there is a way to load the calibration file into the AS-EQ1. Logically, that would be into the software on the PC.

Sooo, the hardware is identical with only the software being slightly different . . I guess.

What I meant by "a totally different version of the AS-EQ1" is that they are putting a totally different unit into production just to allow for the use of the Pro mic. I am thinking about economies of scale here.

Yes, I understand the Pro mic has it's own calibration file, but all that logic is on the PC, not the AVR. The AS-EQ1 already requires a PC, so why not have the PC use the pro mic calibration file? There is a disconnect here. I just don't know what it is right now. Maybe the pro kit preamp/soundcard isn't compatible with the AS-EQ1. The AS-EQ1 has a USB port. I was just thinking the calibration file for the pro mic could be uploaded to it.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #915 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Okay. I think I finally understand. You are thinking it is the exact same hardware with different firmware that allows installers to use their pro mic.

This makes a lot more sense. No need for the little switch I was mentioning!!!

Counsil Basement HT
post #916 of 6280 Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Okay. I think I finally understand. You are thinking it is the exact same hardware with different firmware that allows installers to use their pro mic.

This makes a lot more sense. No need for the little switch I was mentioning!!!

post #917 of 6280 Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I was thinking could be happening Pepar, thus why I was asking Fatawan about his results as A whole after adding the AS-EQ1 into his system....

Cheers...
post #918 of 6280 Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the Reply Fatawan, you have noted some interesting points such as Expanded soundstage, and hear other parts of the
music more clearly....

Cheers....
post #919 of 6280 Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be great, shame it doesn't work like that. All those filters sitting there doing nothing seems a waste...

Adam
post #920 of 6280 Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Finished setting up the AS-EQ lastnight. But for some reason i had to skip the step level match the SAT section. I had the SAT hooked up to the MULTI FR Channel but would not produce a signal. Im using a pioneer SC07. even though i skipped this step i managed to get a flat response. any ideas why it didn't work? will post the results tonight.
post #921 of 6280 Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazay View Post

Finished setting up the AS-EQ lastnight. But for some reason i had to skip the step level match the SAT section. I had the SAT hooked up to the MULTI FR Channel but would not produce a signal. Im using a pioneer SC07. even though i skipped this step i managed to get a flat response. any ideas why it didn't work? will post the results tonight.

It is possible to foce SubEQ to skip level matching/measuring the Sat but not a good thing if you want all channels to be the same (at least at the beginning) which IS a good thing. How did you level match or did you just blow it off?

Your graphs just represent the sub(s).

Did you try another input on the Multi channel complex? Are you sure you have the complex assigned to the input you selected on your Pio? Did you try using a two-channel analog input (white/red) to see if the AS-EQ1 was producing tone?

Doug
post #922 of 6280 Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Doug--are you affiliated with SVS or Audyssey???
post #923 of 6280 Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Doug--are you affiliated with SVS or Audyssey???

SVS - I've been working with Ed and Ron on getting the AS-EQ1 into your hands. They do all the real work and I try to help where I can.

Doug
post #924 of 6280 Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM

thanks for the reply doug yes i did skip the sat level measurement but managed to set both subs A&B to 75.5 i using the gain knob in the rear. I will go through the process again tomorrow to see if i did something wrong. Also my pio did not detect subs i had to manually set to yes. I pretty much followed the directions word for word so not sure what went wrong. Still i ended up with good results.

edit:heh. going through the inputs i see theres one for multichannel in guess i needed to be on that to hear the tone. will try tommorrow.
post #925 of 6280 Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:

thanks for the reply doug yes i did skip the sat level measurement but managed to set both subs A&B to 75.5 i using the gain knob in the rear. I will go through the process again tomorrow to see if i did something wrong. Also my pio did not detect subs i had to manually set to yes. I pretty much followed the directions word for word so not sure what went wrong. Still i ended up with good results.

edit:heh. going through the inputs i see theres one for multichannel in guess i needed to be on that to hear the tone. will try tommorrow.

alazay - what kind of subs are you running?
post #926 of 6280 Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcbride View Post

alazay - what kind of subs are you running?

Dual PB-13U's
post #927 of 6280 Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

WOW...........
Now that's an impressive improvement
Obviously this unit does the job right!

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #928 of 6280 Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 AM

I am using the AS EQ1 with a HSU MBM 12 and a PB 13 Ultra. While calibrating for the first time, I used the EQ Assist feature with the loop back to the receiver and noticed that my sub was not detected. As I found out later, the reason for this is that my laptop's screen saver came on, thus the EQ assist stopped working. After shutting off the screen saver and starting a new calibration, I was able to get the sub recognized again.

How does it sound? Well after my first run, I could tell right away that this unit made a significant improvement, but I still had a -6db dip at 40hz. After a few emails to the kind folks at SVS, I was informed that the MBM and Ultra had a phase cancellation issue causing this dip. They told me to separate the two subs and give it another run. PRESTO! I am now completely flat all the way to 120hz!

As Fatawan mentioned a couple pages back, The Police:Certifiable blu ray is simply stunning! The mid bass hits on Wrapped Around My Finger not only vibrate your face, but if you look at the screen, the camera gets vibrated as well. At first I thought my subs were vibrating my tv, but after listening at a lower volume, I noticed that the image was actually vibrating. I now have that grin that everybody keeps talking about!

Up next: The Hulk, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Dave Matthews....
post #929 of 6280 Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Talk about torture... I've got my EQ1 but no sub The guy that was building mine has dropped off the face of the earth in the last week. Grrrrr.
post #930 of 6280 Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgump44 View Post

Up next: The Hulk, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Dave Matthews....

I have found that Iron Man is very challenging for my sub(s) - co-located, dual powered Hsu TN1220 HO's - and am interested in hearing your comments after watching it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page