SVS AS-EQ1 Thoughts... - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 6280 Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would 'bump' this to the top....hoepfully the AS-EQ1 is still going to be produced...

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6280 Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post

Just thought I would 'bump' this to the top....hoepfully the AS-EQ1 is still going to be produced...

It is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #123 of 6280 Old 02-18-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
I have the latest hardware/software at my place for evals and independent confirmation of correction performance. We're still not ready for external beta testers (we've had dozens of volunteers though), but things are moving quickly as of recent.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #124 of 6280 Old 02-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

I have the latest hardware/software at my place for evals and independent confirmation of correction performance. We're still not ready for external beta testers (we've had dozens of volunteers though), but things are moving quickly as of recent.

Is it still too soon for you to compare this with the Audyssey in the Integra 9.8?

- it's never done!

post #125 of 6280 Old 02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Add me to the list of those beta tester-wanna-be's

creative>energy

post #126 of 6280 Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Is it still too soon for you to compare this with the Audyssey in the Integra 9.8?

This version has proprietary algorithms/sampling rate and can handle dual subs independently. We are designing the product to interface seamlessly with any consumer AVR which is equipped with Audy MultEQ.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #127 of 6280 Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

This version has proprietary algorithms/sampling rate and can handle dual subs independently. We are designing the product to interface seamlessly with any consumer AVR which is equipped with Audy MultEQ.

Cool! Can't wait!!

- it's never done!

post #128 of 6280 Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'd love to be placed on a notification or pre-order list, if any such thing exists yet.
post #129 of 6280 Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM

Just thought I'd check in and see if there are any updates...

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #130 of 6280 Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hey, while you're at it, can you design it to interface seamlessly with MCACC too?

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #131 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Ed, how goes the testing of the AS-EQ1?

Chris

post #132 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

Hey, while you're at it, can you design it to interface seamlessly with MCACC too?

Yes, it will also interface with Pio AVRs equipped with MCACC. The interface is genius - one of those "why didn't I think of that" type designs.

After extensive test/review, we are waiting on the next hardware/software version from Audyssey. There's not much more to report, actually.

I really like this product; it's quite powerful - a PC/laptop is needed for all measurement data crunching, correction algorithms, and filter building. After set-up, the unit operates discretely with no user interface. It's definitely not for the tweaker crowd - it's for the enthusiast who wants a flat/accurate FR from the subwoofer(s) with a minimum of fuss, user interface, or learning curve. It's literally a 'set-it and forget it' piece of equipment, much like modern AVR auto-set-up routines.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #133 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Yes, it will also interface with Pio AVRs equipped with MCACC. The interface is genius - one of those "why didn't I think of that" type designs.

After extensive test/review, we are waiting on the next hardware/software version from Audyssey. There's not much more to report, actually.

I really like this product; it's quite powerful - a PC/laptop is needed for all measurement data crunching, correction algorithms, and filter building. After set-up, the unit operates discretely with no user interface. It's definitely not for the tweaker crowd - it's for the enthusiast who wants a flat/accurate FR from the subwoofer(s) with a minimum of fuss, user interface, or learning curve. It's literally a 'set-it and forget it' piece of equipment, much like modern AVR auto-set-up routines.

Are you saying that a computer is needed for proper set-up of the AS EQ-1? Also, more and more people are using house curves. Are you going to craft the software so that it is easy to include a house curve, not just a flat FR from the sub(s)?
Thanks In Advance
post #134 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Can't recall, has a price point been discussed on this unit yet?

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #135 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...a PC/laptop is needed for all measurement data crunching, correction algorithms, and filter building...

Hopefully you will port the software to Macs, as well.
post #136 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Are you saying that a computer is needed for proper set-up of the AS EQ-1? Also, more and more people are using house curves. Are you going to craft the software so that it is easy to include a house curve, not just a flat FR from the sub(s)?
Thanks In Advance

Yes, a computer is needed to set-up the AS-EQ1, just like the Audyssey Pro software. The calculations would take an inordinate amount of time with an on-board processor.

We will not be building a house curve or any adjustability into the unit. We discussed this extensively both internally and with our target demographic/customer base. The more we listened and measured and compared, the more we preferred the sound of a flat FR, and the less we preferred any DSP type EQ curves or various house curves.

If you want to tweak or build a house curve (and that's perfectly fine), then use REW and a Behringer PEQ - something I frequently recommend to our tweaker customers and will continue to do so. But the vast majority of our customer base are not tweakers and definitely want a 'set-it and forget-it' accurate bass solution with a minimum of user interface. For example, our polls indicated very few users actually manually override the MCACC, YPAO, or MultEQ XT EQ settings after auto-set-up.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #137 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Wireless member

Acquiring an appreciation for truly flat bass is sometimes like acquiring a taste for fine red wine. When I started with both wine and audio, I liked Boone's Farm and fat bass. I found that, with both, I needed to educate myself and taste/listen extensively to come to like the best.

Want fatter, non-flat bass? Crank the tone control.

- it's never done!

post #138 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Ed, thanks for dropping by : )

If you choose to do so at a later point in time, will it be possible to add a house curve and/or manual tweaking in the software running on the PC, or would it require soft and/or hardware modifications in the EQ-1?

And feel free to add me to the list of beta testers ; ) Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but fiddling around with the BFD isn't as fun as it used to be : )

Thomas

Thomas. Rated R for non-stop dumbness, language and some nudity
post #139 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That, or sit against a wall or in a corner
post #140 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Ed... Please correct me if I'm wrong here... this is an Auto EQ, but will it have adjustable Highpass feature like the SMS-1, and will it have the ability for adjustable EQ settings... The way I am reading it here it does everything for you and you have no control to tweak things after its done its thing... I would like to think one could adjust some EQ a bit here and there...

Appreciate you stopping in here as well, people have been patiently waiting your results.

Thanks

Warp

post #141 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Acquiring an appreciation for truly flat bass is sometimes like acquiring a taste for fine red wine. When I started with both wine and audio, I liked Boone's Farm and fat bass. I found that, with both, I needed to educate myself and taste/listen extensively to come to like the best.

While I don't see him much on this side of the forum anymore, it was bossobass who first opined that our relative insensitivity to the deepest bass frequencies is already compensated for in HT source material by the mastering/mix engineers. They mix the audio track so infrasonic (or near infrasonic) content is a level which sounds flat/level/even to our ears, and additional correction/compensation is therefore unnecessary.

The key limitation to the above is that the bass will only sound balanced at a given playback level (typically fairly loud) and won't sound that way at lower volumes, which was the basis for the house curve concept. The problem with a fixed house curve is that it will also only sound correct at a given playback volume.

This limitation of the fixed house curve ultimately spawned the development and release of Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which (as the name implies) has an EQ curve which changes with playback level. Dynamic EQ is very well conceived and works extraordinarily well in actual use; the house curve is always perfect, no matter what the playback level.

So I definitely recognize the need for a house curve as Spyboy suggests, but I eventually found the limitation of a fixed house curve to outweigh its usefulness. Now with Dynamic EQ, consumers can enjoy the benefits of a flat subwoofer response at higher playback levels, and then also enjoy the benefits of a customized dynamic house curve which works equally well at all lower playback levels.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #142 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Hey Ed... Please correct me if I'm wrong here... this is an Auto EQ, but will it have adjustable Hipass feature like the SMS-1, and will it have the ability for adjustable EQ settings... The way I am reading it here it does everything for you and you have no control to tweak things after its done its thing... I would like to think one could adjust some EQ a bit here and there...

Appreciate you stopping in here as well, people have been patiently waiting your results.

Thanks

Warp

Hi Warp:

It will not have any adjustable EQ settings. The unit will be flashable, so the potential does exist for future tweaks/features to be added, but they will not be present in this release, and honestly we don't feel they are needed for this type of product (for the above-discussed reasons).

It also does not have user adjustable high pass filters (nor are they needed). The unit does have a sophisticated roll-off sensing algorithm (for lack of better words) which actually senses the roll-off frequency of the subwoofer and will not attempt to boost below that frequency, but will EQ flat down to the corner frequency of the subwoofer. I've tried to trip-up this algorithm and it refuses to be fooled.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #143 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

That, or sit against a wall or in a corner

Ummm, yeah, that's where I used to sit with the Boone's Farm.

- it's never done!

post #144 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Can't recall, has a price point been discussed on this unit yet?

The PDF linked in the first post says approx $750.

- it's never done!

post #145 of 6280 Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Warp:

It will not have any adjustable EQ settings. The unit will be flashable, so the potential does exist for future tweaks/features to be added, but they will not be present in this release, and honestly we don't feel they are needed for this type of product (for the above-discussed reasons).

It also does not have user adjustable high pass filters (nor are they needed). The unit does have a sophisticated roll-off sensing algorithm (for lack of better words) which actually senses the roll-off frequency of the subwoofer and will not attempt to boost below that frequency, but will EQ flat down to the corner frequency of the subwoofer. I've tried to trip-up this algorithm and it refuses to be fooled.

Well it sounds like a pretty powerful unit, and I appreciate your feedback here.

I guess that with all the auto setup and the Audyssey Dynamic EQ feature, that it probably goes without saying that it will also take care of Phase for multiple subs as well....

Also couldn't remember if it was stated as having Balanced outputs...

post #146 of 6280 Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Bump for update per XLR I/O?

Regards,

Larry

Quote:

Well it sounds like a pretty powerful unit, and I appreciate your feedback here.

I guess that with all the auto setup and the Audyssey Dynamic EQ feature, that it probably goes without saying that it will also take care of Phase for multiple subs as well....

Also couldn't remember if it was stated as having Balanced outputs...

post #147 of 6280 Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

Bump for update per XLR I/O?

Regards,

Larry

I would think that with the Balanced inputs and outputs on the Ultra13, they are adding them to the EQ as well... It just makes sense.....

SVS is a sensible company right...

post #148 of 6280 Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Ed -

After it took me about 5 hours to get my subwoofers calibrated with Room EQ and a Behringer only to discover the two adjoining seats were completely screwed I decided I will only sit in the sweet spot.

Add another hash mark for me in the enthusiast who doesn't want to be a tweaker crowd.
post #149 of 6280 Old 05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I would think that with the Balanced inputs and outputs on the Ultra13, they are adding them to the EQ as well...

There are no balanced ins/outs on this piece.

- it's never done!

post #150 of 6280 Old 05-19-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

Hey Ed -

After it took me about 5 hours to get my subwoofers calibrated with Room EQ and a Behringer only to discover the two adjoining seats were completely screwed I decided I will only sit in the sweet spot.

Add another hash mark for me in the enthusiast who doesn't want to be a tweaker crowd.

Yep, there's something to be said for plug-n-play ease of set-up. You could have set-up the AS-EQ1 and watched two movies in that time frame and had decent bass at all three seats.

Ed Mullen
SVS

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page