SVS AS-EQ1 Thoughts... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6280 Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure if this has gotten discussed before or where, but couldn't find a thread about it... So I thought I would start some discussion...
http://www.svsound.com/CES2007/SVS_AudyessyRelease.pdf

Any thoughts, said to handle up to 2 subs, coupled with Audyessy engineering..
I know it wasn't been released yet, but thought maybe someone in the know would have a bit more info on it or thoughts...
Is there anything else out there that will compete with it, with ease of setup troubles.

thanks

Warp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6280 Old 01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Velodyne SMS-1 currently available and handles 3 subs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, let's get a compare and contrast, b/c the Velo is cheaper and available now.

When is the SVS unit planned for and how does it improve on the Velo?

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #4 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think the SVS unit will be out before summer.

The main difference is Audessey's technology. Whereas the SMS-1 unit optomizes bass for one position, the SVS unit uses logic to simultaneously optomize the bass for up to 8 locations.

Now not all 8 locations will be EQ'd flat, some tradeoffs will need to be made, but the logic creates a best scenario for those locations.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #5 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 AM

Also the SVS unit appears to enable additional functionality via connectivity to a PC via the USB port (hmm, custom crossovers etc?).
post #6 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The main difference is Audessey's technology. Whereas the SMS-1 unit optomizes bass for one position, the SVS unit uses logic to simultaneously optomize the bass for up to 8 locations.

Now not all 8 locations will be EQ'd flat, some tradeoffs will need to be made, but the logic creates a best scenario for those locations.

This is correct. Even though the SMS-1 has 3 ouputs, they are all summed together. It does one eq for the room.

The SVS can take into account 2 subs in 2 different locations and send each one an optimized curve.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #7 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

It can also time correct the two subs independently

Thomas. Rated R for non-stop dumbness, language and some nudity
post #8 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also the SVS unit appears to enable additional functionality via connectivity to a PC via the USB port (hmm, custom crossovers etc?).

You can also better customize the settings on the SMS-1 using PC software like the free Room EQ Wizard software. Hopefully, SVS will work with the author of that program to ensure that it is compatible.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
post #9 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here. It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.

It is different than the SMS-1, but I don't know if it is better.

Randy
post #10 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here. It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and HK AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.

I am not sure about the current version of the upcoming offering, but I definitely see the possibility of more potential with the Audessey unit. I am guessing the Audessey will be more upgradable and customizable in the long term via firmware/software updates and changes. It certainly seems like the muc more sophisticated of the two. But, I have been wrong before...

post #11 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
any idea about a rumble filter on the SVS? I have an SMS1 I am going to sell because it limits my subs (DIY) ability in the 10-5Hz range.

post #12 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That is a significant feature and it will be interesting to see how well it tradeoffs equalization over several seats. A big negative though is it lacks the display feature of the SMS which is essential for fine tuning and manual tweaking. I put away a Behringer DEQ2496 which arguably had more sophisticated features but couldn't compete with the Velo's ease of use. I'm looking forward to a side by side review between the SMS and the Audessey.

John
post #13 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies View Post

any idea about a rumble filter on the SVS? I have an SMS1 I am going to sell because it limits my subs (DIY) ability in the 10-5Hz range.

I believe Velo has the firmware upgrade you can download. It let's the Velo EQ down to 5hz.

Evil is Good
post #14 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeman View Post

That is a significant feature and it will be interesting to see how well it tradeoffs equalization over several seats. A big negative though is it lacks the display feature of the SMS which is essential for fine tuning and manual tweaking. I put away a Behringer DEQ2496 which arguably had more sophisticated features but couldn't compete with the Velo's ease of use. I'm looking forward to a side by side review between the SMS and the Audessey.

Yes...a comparison of the end result will be interesting. Ease of use I think will be a key feature.

One thing though, the street price of the SMS-1, and the direct price of the SVS/Audessey unit will be fairly different.....but to some, chump change.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #15 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you mean 10-15Hz? What subs do you have that go that low with any useable output? Whoops, I just saw they were DIY
post #16 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

Yes, let's get a compare and contrast, b/c the Velo is cheaper and available now.

I am curious about the cost...has it been mentioned anywhere?
post #17 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post

I am curious about the cost...has it been mentioned anywhere?

It is mentioned in the PDF file in the first post. It is expected to be $750

Randy
post #18 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the current software for my SMS that allows the rumble filter to be set at 5Hz. However it's still down 30dB. 25dB at 10Hz. Not sure why they released it like that.

post #19 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the current software for my SMS that allows the rumble filter to be set at 5Hz. However it's still down 30dB. 25dB at 10Hz. Not sure why they released it like that.

Who wants to pick the code apart?

-Eli

AV Nut
post #20 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

If you want to read more on the Audyssey technology, go here. It sounds like the SVS will deploy the MultiEQ XT. On this site, it appears to say that XT will only be available to trained professional installers. There is a proprietary PC client for XT that allows for all the mods to be set and then uploaded to the device. This technology is also built into some of the high end Denon, Onkyo, and HK AVRs. Looks like Denon is the only one using the XT version.

I think you are confusing XT with Pro. The latter is only available to professional installers. The XT is used in Denon, NAD and, perhaps, other components but, afaik, no Audyssey in HK.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #21 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wrong. It is Marantz not HK. I believe Marantz is owned by HK. If you go to the link, they list the manufacturers models and what level of Audyssey are integrated.

The SVS device does say XT though, so not sure how they handle any of the integrated XT devices if their policy is that it is for trained installers only.

Randy
post #22 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

not sure I ever tried picking the code apart. You obviously are more intelligent than me

post #23 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:

I believe Marantz is owned by HK.

Marantz is owned by D&M Holdings, the same company that owns Denon.
Quote:

The SVS device does say XT though, so not sure how they handle any of the integrated XT devices if their policy is that it is for trained installers only.

As Kal mentioned in the post right before your's, Audyssey Pro is for trained professional installers only; Audyssey XT (like the kind that will be on the SVS unit) is available on consumer gear.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #24 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I was wrong. It is Marantz not HK. I believe Marantz is owned by HK. If you go to the link, they list the manufacturers models and what level of Audyssey are integrated.

Marantz is part of D&M Holdings, as is Denon.

Quote:

?? XT is usually an autosetup as it is in the AVRs. Only the Pro is restricted to professional installers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #25 of 6280 Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, now I see it. MultiEq XT, MultiEq, Eq2, and Eq are different levels of the same autoeq application/appliance. MultiEq Pro is the PC client software, for trained installers only, that let you perform more than just the autoeq functions.

Randy
post #26 of 6280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, look how this thread ran away...
Forgot about it, and plenty of chat rollin on in here...

When on the phone with SVS before I ordered my Plus/2, I asked them about an Velo SMS/1, and they said that they weren't that happy with that unit..
Now if all of those people that are really satisfyied with SMS, What do you suppose they have up their sleeves with this unit, to make a statement like that...

Im really curious about what the intricasies of this unit will show...

I know I will be in the need of something, but I wanted to hold off until more light is shed on SVS.... I can't imaging that they wouldn't make it so it would be tweakable with http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ That would be silly, knowing how much people like the flexibility of personal tinkering..

post #27 of 6280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Wow, look how this thread ran away...
Forgot about it, and plenty of chat rollin on in here...

When on the phone with SVS before I ordered my Plus/2, I asked them about an Velo SMS/1, and they said that they weren't that happy with that unit..
Now if all of those people that are really satisfyied with SMS, What do you suppose they have up their sleeves with this unit, to make a statement like that...

Im really curious about what the intricasies of this unit will show...

I know I will be in the need of something, but I wanted to hold off until more light is shed on SVS.... I can't imaging that they wouldn't make it so it would be tweakable with http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/ That would be silly, knowing how much people like the flexibility of personal tinkering..

This is a funny post. The SMS-1 is one of those groundbreaking devices that has improved the sound of most subs and especially those with mediocre FR such as found in most SVS designs. Rather than see Velo continue to accrue that benefit, SVS joint ventured with Audessey to try and capture back some of that lucrative market from Velo. Its not that complicated why they're not happy with it.

John
post #28 of 6280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

What would you expect as an answer. I'm sure they were already aware they had the new device in the pipeline and the SMS-1 is direct competition. It is like asking Ford if a Chevy truck is a good choice.

Randy
post #29 of 6280 Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess I was just curious, seeing that Sonnie Parker, was all over Behringer to make a BFD and incoporate some build designs of the professionals in the Sub forums, and I watched that and those discussions for a while, and didn't see it through... Looked like behringer wasn't interested in going any further with it... but Im not entirely sure.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-consumer.html
It just seemed like there was alot of complicated setup and tweaking to be done with that initial behringer type of setup...

And I thought maybe SVS picked up when that stuff left off.. Making the unit to have the ability for more tweakablility... with easier GUI interfaces, or who knows what...
Sorry if all this sounded stupid, but How long ago were the SMS-1's made, and could it be possible to make something better... I mean with a price like that, I would expect the best here, unless its all just smoke and mirrors.

Warp

post #30 of 6280 Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the Audyssey is an AutoEq device, but it will smooth response for multiple locations and multiple subs. It also looks like you need to be trained/certified to purchase the Pro software to be able to tweak it beyond the auto setup function.

I'm not a skeptic of what appears to be new technologies, but I never jump on board until others prove it will float.

Randy
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page