Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet View Post

r u serious? my theater is 240 and I want to have another one damn...

Are you looking at (L x width) only or (ht x w x l) which is what he calculated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post

Can any owners of the H-100 comment on whether the sub is sufficient for a room that is 2000-2500 sq feet. My room is currently about 1600sq ft but I want a little room for error if I move.

I have a 2000 sq ft with openings to kitchen,hallway and stairs. I placed it
nearfield in a corner next to my seating position and it is fabuluous.
post #183 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

I have a 2000 sq ft with openings to kitchen,hallway and stairs. I placed it
nearfield in a corner next to my seating position and it is fabuluous.

My fault I was looking at the HSU faq where they made recommendations based on cubic feet. My actual square footage of my living room is only 250 at most. The cubic footage is about 2000, so what I meant to ask was is this sub good for a room in the 2000-2500 cubic foot range.
post #184 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
without breaking a sweat.
-Rich

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT!
post #185 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Are you looking at (L x width) only or (ht x w x l) which is what he calculated?

ok gotcha... I am over 2k so yes it will fill it up nicely

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
post #186 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Can any owners of the H-100 comment on whether the sub is sufficient for a room that is 2000-2500 sq feet. My room is currently about 1600sq ft but I want a little room for error if I move.

As you can tell from the mixed responses that's a loaded question. It depends on how much of a bassaholic you are and what your looking for. For me I would say "HELL NO" and you aren't going to find a sub sufficient for an area that size at this price point. If you're looking at something to fill out the low end and get you good HT effects then it should satisify you and placing it nearfield(close to the listening position) will help if that's possible.

Bottom line is you're not going to fill that space like most of us think it should be at this price, however the H-100 will do it as well or better than anything at it's price point. Being sufficient for that large of an area is another issue and if that's what your looking for you need to be ready to lay down some serious bucks with much higher priced and preferably multiple subs.

Ok as I was typing this correct measurements were posted. In a 250sf room you'll get much better results. Damn, all them keystrokes for nothing haha. Good Luck!!!
post #187 of 407 Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 PM

I created confusion by initially saying square feet when I meant cubic feet. Only place that used cubic feet as reference was the HSU faq. For my purposes, I'll estimate 250 sq feet so it looks like this will do the job.
post #188 of 407 Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

Ok I'm ready to jump in for the H-100, seems awesome. Been reading all these posts and trying to get the lowest price on Ebay, which appears to be $239 shipped. Been trying to get a little less but no way!

Anyway I read one post that talked about how the H-100 doesn't do real well with music, so I wanted to see what othrs think?? In my case it will be used for HT about 30% and music 70%. I really want to deep rumble for HT but don't want to be annoyed with music.

Any and all thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!
post #189 of 407 Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harle View Post

I recently bought the Onkyo ht-s790s, and I believe that this is the sub that came with it. Ive tried placing it in different parts of the room, changing the crossover, etc. Its pretty maddening that it feels like i get almost no output from it when listening to music or watching movies. Well, thats not entirely true. Some movies and music seem to have incredible bass, but the majority of music has a flat, muddy sound from the bass.

Ive been looking into getting a $250-300 sub, and was wondering if the H100 would be a big step up from my current sub, or if something like the A2-300 would be worth the extra $100.

I also bought an Onkyo HT and the sub is less then stellar. As you mention some movies seem to rock but then others have nothing. During music it's only really there if the music is very loud, then it's muddy as you say.

Just ordered the H-100, can't wait. Did you end up buying one??
post #190 of 407 Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebomber View Post

Ok I'm ready to jump in for the H-100, seems awesome. Been reading all these posts and trying to get the lowest price on Ebay, which appears to be $239 shipped. Been trying to get a little less but no way!

Anyway I read one post that talked about how the H-100 doesn't do real well with music, so I wanted to see what othrs think?? In my case it will be used for HT about 30% and music 70%. I really want to deep rumble for HT but don't want to be annoyed with music.

Any and all thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!

I picked up the H-100 back in January (matched with the Panny XR-57) and I think it is superb for the money. As far as people saying it is better for movies than it is for music. Let's look at the big picture. Look at what you are paying I think we are splitting hairs. Some people maybe notice the difference. If you can maybe you should be going up another step to an SVS or HSU. For the money it is unbeatable.

T

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #191 of 407 Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM

for the price, why not buy 2?
post #192 of 407 Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi,
Perhaps you guys can help me with a decision. I am currently running a Denon 2808ci with Paradigm Cinema Series 70 speakers in a 13x15 room. These speakers were used previsouly in a much smaller room and the sub (8") had much more punch upstairs. Now they are downstairs in my HT room on a cement floor with carpet and underlay. The bass is there, but not what I want. In this new room, I find the bass lacking. Would this sub be a big upgrade to what I currently have? Does anybody know how would it compare to a Paradigm PDR-10 or PDR-12? Also there is a listing on Craigslist of somebody selling a Paradigm PW2200 v.1 for 350.00. Only catch is that it's 8 years old now. Do subs go bad with age? Should I stay away from this deal?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Phil
post #193 of 407 Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
suzook11,

I definitely suggest NOT buying 2 of these subs. Unless the price has come down substantially since I got mine (have since sold it and upgraded), for the price of 2 H-100s you could step up to the next level of subwoofer and get better, deeper, and more bass.

plouie10,

Before you look to upgrade, you should figure out what your current problem is exactly. The room is bigger now, and that could be it. But you say the new room has a cement floor (with carpet on top), and concrete helps with bass.

There are many factors that affect how a sub sounds and how much bass you hear. As an experiment, play some bass-heavy music (or bass test tones if you have them) and walk around the room with the volume turned up. You'll notice that it seems like the bass gets louder or quieter depending on where you are in the room. That's because the bass bounces off of the floor, ceiling, and walls many times before it reaches your ear. Sometimes the bass "collects," like in corners or near walls. Sometimes it cancels out, like when bass comes from 2 walls and sort of overlaps out of phase and "sucks the bass out."

If your current issue, lack of bass, is due to placement of the sub and your seating location, as opposed to the sub itself, then you could spend money on a better sub and still have the same problem. One way to check for best placement is to place the subwoofer where you sit, and then crawl around the room with your ears at the height of the sub when it's on the floor, and see where along the walls you get the "best" bass. Best being smoothest, not necessarily loudest. Smoothest as in you can hear bass across all frequencies, and no notes or bass frequency regions overpower other notes or sound way louder. Corners are good for reinforcing bass and maximizing sound. Depending on the room and the placement of your seating position, you may actually get very "boomy" or one-noted bass. You can try bringing the sub out a 2-4 feet along the wall in either direction.

Play around with location until you find the spot that seems to sound the best to you. Once you find that spot, calibrate the sub's volume level to match the speakers (by ear with receiver test tones, or preferably with an SPL meter and receiver or setup DVD test tones), and see if the bass is still lacking. If it is, then you decide whether you want to upgrade or not.

Coincidence -- Just saw this posting about placement:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980726
post #194 of 407 Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Ive had the sub for 6 months or so and gotta say for the money or even double the money that these can be had for, you aint gonna do any better. But I Recently bought a vtf-ho and no longer need mine.
If anybody is interested in a mint conditon Bic-100 with orginal box, Id sell it for 200.00 shipped ( only in the Cont US of course )... Id much rather somebody from Northern Va. pick it up in person for 165.00 though.
Oh yea, and one great thing about this sub is the looks of it, very classy and I love how the top looks !
post #195 of 407 Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

Thanks I will try this. I went ahead and ordered one anyways. Couldn't resist after reading all the great reviews.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

suzook11,

I definitely suggest NOT buying 2 of these subs. Unless the price has come down substantially since I got mine (have since sold it and upgraded), for the price of 2 H-100s you could step up to the next level of subwoofer and get better, deeper, and more bass.

plouie10,

Before you look to upgrade, you should figure out what your current problem is exactly. The room is bigger now, and that could be it. But you say the new room has a cement floor (with carpet on top), and concrete helps with bass.

There are many factors that affect how a sub sounds and how much bass you hear. As an experiment, play some bass-heavy music (or bass test tones if you have them) and walk around the room with the volume turned up. You'll notice that it seems like the bass gets louder or quieter depending on where you are in the room. That's because the bass bounces off of the floor, ceiling, and walls many times before it reaches your ear. Sometimes the bass "collects," like in corners or near walls. Sometimes it cancels out, like when bass comes from 2 walls and sort of overlaps out of phase and "sucks the bass out."

If your current issue, lack of bass, is due to placement of the sub and your seating location, as opposed to the sub itself, then you could spend money on a better sub and still have the same problem. One way to check for best placement is to place the subwoofer where you sit, and then crawl around the room with your ears at the height of the sub when it's on the floor, and see where along the walls you get the "best" bass. Best being smoothest, not necessarily loudest. Smoothest as in you can hear bass across all frequencies, and no notes or bass frequency regions overpower other notes or sound way louder. Corners are good for reinforcing bass and maximizing sound. Depending on the room and the placement of your seating position, you may actually get very "boomy" or one-noted bass. You can try bringing the sub out a 2-4 feet along the wall in either direction.

Play around with location until you find the spot that seems to sound the best to you. Once you find that spot, calibrate the sub's volume level to match the speakers (by ear with receiver test tones, or preferably with an SPL meter and receiver or setup DVD test tones), and see if the bass is still lacking. If it is, then you decide whether you want to upgrade or not.

Coincidence -- Just saw this posting about placement:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980726

post #196 of 407 Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 PM

Hi,
Okay just received this sub and hooked it up. I am running it with a Denon AVR-2808ci. I do have base management in my receiver. Should I be setting the Digital setting to 5.1?
Thanks
Phil
post #197 of 407 Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouie10 View Post

Hi,
Okay just received this sub and hooked it up. I am running it with a Denon AVR-2808ci. I do have base management in my receiver. Should I be setting the Digital setting to 5.1?
Thanks
Phil

yes
post #198 of 407 Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanks,
Whoa, just tested a couple of movies with this baby!! It ROCKS!!! Really fills my 13x15 room. I will be tweaking this weekend!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

yes

post #199 of 407 Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I know there's a lot of placement threads around, but please stick with me. I want to try and clear up a few things before I lug the h100 around my apartment.

Here's a picture of my floorplan.

Now I started with the sub at 3 but I could tell where the bass was coming from. So I moved it to 2. I had it facing towards the TV because it sticks out about 6 inches from that little L part of the wall if I have it facing out like 1. I now have it at position 1. I have it about 8-10 inches from the wall which makes it stick out about 6 inches.

A few quick questions.
Is 8-10 inches far enough away from the wall?
Does anyone think it would be better to be pointing towards the tv and be totally in the little corner, or would be facing more towards the couch but sticking out a little bit be better?
Or would the back corner be the best position?
Is there much besides position and crossover settings I can do to affect the sounds with out an EQ?

Sorry these are kinda newbie questions. It's my first sub and it doesn't sound quite right to me right now. I know it can't get really low, but it seems like theres a spike at a certain frequency. I know the best thing I could do is get a SPL and do some frequency sweeps, but the sub and Beta C360 has set me back a little bit and I can't be spending money on things I don't absolutly need.

Right now I've got a H/K AVR 235 and I've got the crossover set at 80.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #200 of 407 Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Most if not all rooms are going to have problems with spikes and nulls in the frequency range it just takes some time to find out which placement effects it the least.

That's a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE area to fill. If your Living Room is indeed open to the kitchen, Breakfast Area and Dining Area as it look in the diagram then those areas should be counted also and that's asking a lot from 1 $200 sub.

If you can place it on either end of the couch and use it as an end table that would be your best bet, that should give you the best impact at your seating position while keeping you from having to run the gain as high. If you have to put it in position 2 then yes you want it facing the couch, 8" for the rear ports should be enough room. If possible you might want to try placing it on the other side of the tv also to see if that gives you better results.

Position 3 looks like the worst placement for getting it dialed in with the mains, anywhere between your front speakers or either end of the couch should give you the best results.
You can also try playing a dvd with good strong bass lines that you know well and putting the sub in your seating position and then crawling on the floor to see where the bass sounds the tightest and even.

Keeping the crossover in the receiver set to 80 or below will help as much as anything with the localization issues.
post #201 of 407 Old 02-02-2008, 08:49 AM

How does the CSX-15 measure up with the Bic Acoustech H-100 Subwoofer?

They both have 500W amps but the H-100 is cheaper.
post #202 of 407 Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLover View Post

How does the CSX-15 measure up with the Bic Acoustech H-100 Subwoofer?

They both have 500W amps but the H-100 is cheaper.

It doesn't nor should it. The CSX-15 has a larger driver in a larger cabinet at aprox 2x the price. It will be able to fill a larger area or smaller area with more headroom.
post #203 of 407 Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM

Question for all the H100 owners out there:

I have a Dayton SUB-100 currently, and my buddy is in dire need of a decent subwoofer(to replace his crappy Kenwood 8" sub) so I was thinking of selling him my Dayton, and using the proceeds to fund my H100 purchase.

Bottom line, is there going to be a noticeable difference? The room is probably 400 sq. ft. The Dayton sounds good, but I think I'm ready for a little more boom.

Worth it to sell the Dayton and pick up a BIC?

Thanks for the help.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
post #204 of 407 Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 AM

yes, absolutly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude
I will never live in an apartment again below someone else, unless they're ninjas. ;)
post #205 of 407 Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 AM

[/quote]
Quote:

Bottom line, is there going to be a noticeable difference?

I would think a big difference.

Quote:

I would I feel its a nice step up going from that Dayton to the BIC
post #206 of 407 Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

After much research... I just ordered my first sub, BIC H-100, and it should be here on Monday.

I cannot wait to get it hooked up!
post #207 of 407 Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD5213 View Post

Question for all the H100 owners out there:

I have a Dayton SUB-100 currently, and my buddy is in dire need of a decent subwoofer(to replace his crappy Kenwood 8" sub) so I was thinking of selling him my Dayton, and using the proceeds to fund my H100 purchase.

Bottom line, is there going to be a noticeable difference? The room is probably 400 sq. ft. The Dayton sounds good, but I think I'm ready for a little more boom.

Thanks for the help.

I don't have any experience with the Dayton Sub-100 but I did try the Sub-120 for a while and have installed several H-100s. If the 120 is any indication in comparison then yes. It's a very nice upgrade. IMO the H-100 is a better sub all the way around, sound quality, low extension and much more articulate in comparison, not to mention it looks better. If someone can use your 100 and you upgrade to the Bic that sounds like a win win situation for both of you.
post #208 of 407 Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 AM

My neighbors are REALLY going to kill me in my sleep now. I suppose though, it's just payback for having to endure her kids screaming at 4 AM.

Ahh, the joys of home theater.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
post #209 of 407 Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 AM

Bought one of these from one of the two main suppliers on the bay (AcousticSoundDesign I think), back in November. Awesome and enjoying it everyday! However I have yet to get billed for it.

Has anyone else experienced a long delay with billing?
post #210 of 407 Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebomber View Post

Bought one of these from one of the two main suppliers on the bay (AcousticSoundDesign I think), back in November. Awesome and enjoying it everyday! However I have yet to get billed for it.

Has anyone else experienced a long delay with billing?

I wouldn't be advertising that lol
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page