OFFICIAL Hsu MBM-12 thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #391 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gentlemen i have a Integra 7.2 rec, what is the best way to hook up 2 MBM's and 1 true sub? I would assume to use 1 of the rec. sub outs with a y splitter for the MBM's and just straight out for the true sub, am i correct?..please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdawg View Post

Gentlemen i have a Integra 7.2 rec, what is the best way to hook up 2 MBM's and 1 true sub? I would assume to use 1 of the rec. sub outs with a y splitter for the MBM's and just straight out for the true sub, am i correct?..please help.

That connection will work.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #393 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey guys, I am down-sizing a bit and have two MBM-12's for sale. If anyone is interested, please PM me.
post #394 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Hey guys, I am down-sizing a bit and have two MBM-12's for sale. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

I sent you a PM
post #395 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM

you have pm
post #396 of 506 Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Ported, sealed, or Mk2... Which version?

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #397 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have advice on calibrating the MBM with a receiver (Onkyo 3008) that has dual sub outputs and Audyssey MultEQ XT32? I have a PB13 Ultra as the true sub and the MBM nearfield.
post #398 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm posting in the MBM-12 forum as I believe this is the right audience for what I'm trying to address. I'm looking for any comments on my room situation. Room pic below:

SVS PC13U in back corner
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_3125.jpg

Seating area
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_3126.jpg

My issue:
I currently do not have the "punch" from the SVS, but I do have great deep bass. Using REW, my frequency response is very good, almost flat. But, I do not have the punch from gun shots, etc.

Solutions I have been thinking of:
* Placing dual MBM-12's on either side of the couch
- Placement 1: back wall next to couch about 4 feet from Ultra (this is where I sit)
- Placement 2: side wall at end of couch
- I would split the frequency at 50hz with the Ultra on the first sub (will eventually have an Audyssey XT32 Pre/Pro to EQ the Ultra/MBM & the second MBM indepentantly)
* Add Dual Epik Empires (same placement as the proposed MBM's)
* Single Epik Empire (placement 2)
* Room treatment - I'm not excited about adding panels to the walls/ceiling... Front wall is an option, but back and side walls fail WAF
* I will be replacing current Onkyo receiver (NR807) with an Audyssey XT32 pre/pro (not sure how much improvement this will provide?)

The reason on why I have been looking at the Epik Empire and MBM is because of the reviews I have read on their "punch". Would the Epik's best the MBM's for this purpose (still retaining the SVS)? I'm fine in the low low end. I would prefer not to add 2 Epiks as that is more than I want to spend right now. Would 2 MBM's = 1 Empire (please consider the Empire would be in Placement 2, not nearfield to my seat)? I'm thinking nearfield placement would help with room mode issues while adding impact?

What I have tried:
* Moving the sub - The current location is best (I didn't try along side walls - side wall along couch blocks tv view because of the height of the PC13 & and other side wall fails WAF)
* Moving couch forward and placing behind couch - not much improvement
* EQ - Currently have Onkyo NR807 with Audyssey (REW confirmed flat results)
* SVS's built-in sub EQ (prior to owning the Onkyo)
* Second sub - It isn't another Ultra, rather an Outlaw LFM-1 borrowed from my brother. I have it currently situated in "Placement 2" (gain matched with the Ultra) - not much improvement

Thoughts?
post #399 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

I'm posting in the MBM-12 forum as I believe this is the right audience for what I'm trying to address. I'm looking for any comments on my room situation. Room pic below:

SVS PC13U in back corner
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_3125.jpg

Seating area
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_3126.jpg

My issue:
I currently do not have the "punch" from the SVS, but I do have great deep bass. Using REW, my frequency response is very good, almost flat. But, I do not have the punch from gun shots, etc.

Solutions I have been thinking of:
* Placing dual MBM-12's on either side of the couch
- Placement 1: back wall next to couch about 4 feet from Ultra (this is where I sit)
- Placement 2: side wall at end of couch
- I would split the frequency at 50hz with the Ultra on the first sub (will eventually have an Audyssey XT32 Pre/Pro to EQ the Ultra/MBM & the second MBM indepentantly)
* Add Dual Epik Empires (same placement as the proposed MBM's)
* Single Epik Empire (placement 2)
* Room treatment - I'm not excited about adding panels to the walls/ceiling... Front wall is an option, but back and side walls fail WAF
* I will be replacing current Onkyo receiver (NR807) with an Audyssey XT32 pre/pro (not sure how much improvement this will provide?)

The reason on why I have been looking at the Epik Empire and MBM is because of the reviews I have read on their "punch". Would the Epik's best the MBM's for this purpose (still retaining the SVS)? I'm fine in the low low end. I would prefer not to add 2 Epiks as that is more than I want to spend right now. Would 2 MBM's = 1 Empire (please consider the Empire would be in Placement 2, not nearfield to my seat)? I'm thinking nearfield placement would help with room mode issues while adding impact?

What I have tried:
* Moving the sub - The current location is best (I didn't try along side walls - side wall along couch blocks tv view because of the height of the PC13 & and other side wall fails WAF)
* Moving couch forward and placing behind couch - not much improvement
* EQ - Currently have Onkyo NR807 with Audyssey (REW confirmed flat results)
* SVS's built-in sub EQ (prior to owning the Onkyo)
* Second sub - It isn't another Ultra, rather an Outlaw LFM-1 borrowed from my brother. I have it currently situated in "Placement 2" (gain matched with the Ultra) - not much improvement

Thoughts?

I would say to add 1 MBM. If you can pull the couch off the wall just enough to place the MBM behind it, centered of your couch, if you like the sound and want a little more punch than get a second MBM and try both of them behind the couch and also one one each side of the couch. The other subs you mentioned don't have high pass filtering I don't think so it's not the same as adding a MBM
post #400 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post

I would say to add 1 MBM. If you can pull the couch off the wall just enough to place the MBM behind it, centered of your couch, if you like the sound and want a little more punch than get a second MBM and try both of them behind the couch and also one one each side of the couch. The other subs you mentioned don't have high pass filtering I don't think so it's not the same as adding a MBM

Thanks for your quick response -

I would have to get creative with the high pass filtering if I were to cut the frequencies on the Empires. I was thinking full range sub on those since they are capable, plus have the benefit of the punch.

Unfortunately, I can't pull the couch out. While it would open up placement options, The needs to be to the back wall as it really does impose on the rest of the room (comfort).

The con of 1 MBM, it would be close to the Ultra if I wanted nearfield, which would increase localization.
post #401 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM

It's all about the Setup, mine is sitting Right Against the back of my couch with the Port facing Sideways. No Localization for me.
post #402 of 506 Old 02-26-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdawg View Post

There is only one way to peoperly calibrate a true sub and a MBM. Go to http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showpos...9&postcount=33
scottnv likes this.
post #403 of 506 Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
i'm currently experimenting running dual mbm's, one original version (ported) and one mk2 (sealed). while i have to admit they sound great, i'm wondering if there would be any sonic improvement to be had by running dual mk2's.

anyone had experience with both setups?
post #404 of 506 Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I was here thinking and I have come up with a question which I know has probably been asked but I can't find the answer.

Is it possible, if running dual MBMs to connect the MBMs straight to the left and right main speakers instead of running them through the receiver's crossover and just let the true subwoofers be the only ones to implement the bass management from the receiver?
post #405 of 506 Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

I was here thinking and I have come up with a question which I know has probably been asked but I can't find the answer.

Is it possible, if running dual MBMs to connect the MBMs straight to the left and right main speakers instead of running them through the receiver's crossover and just let the true subwoofers be the only ones to implement the bass management from the receiver?

Yes, I have done it in the past when I had dual MBM's with dual 3.3's.
post #406 of 506 Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

So you are saying that I don't have to run the MBMs through the receiver right? I think another member was saying that the MBM does not have speaker line levels.
post #407 of 506 Old 03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think another member was saying that the MBM does not have speaker line levels.

Well then he was wrong. I have both versions (original and Mk2) of MBM's and they both indeed do have high level inputs with speaker outs. I don't use 'em but they've got 'em.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #408 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

i guess this question is for Bill, as he has done what i would like to do already. If the MBMs are connected directly to the speakers via speaker wire, do both the MBM and the speaker act as ONE TOTAL speaker? By this i mean, would the bass that was going to the speaker initially, now go to the MBM and they all blend as one?

What i am trying to do, is improve my mid bass response without having to crossover at 80Hz. I would like for the MBM and speaker to act as one total full range speaker and have the punch in the 60-90Hz range coming from the MBM rather than the speaker. Is this possible and is it a good thing to do?
post #409 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
^The subsonic filter on the MBM will always rolloff freqs from about 50hz down...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #410 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

thats not what i was asking but thanks for the reply. I will be using the crossover in the AVR to then send the frequencies below 50Hz to the ULS dual drive.

I jus want to know how does the system know what do to (i.e send it to the speaker or the MBM) when it sends out signals to the speaker and the MBM? how does it differentiate between what the MBM will play and what the speaker will play? do i have to bridge it or anything special or do i just hook the MBM to the speaker via speaker levels and it just does its thing.

Because if so, why dont person just hook their subwoofers up to their speakers and run them full range?
post #411 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You control the MBM upper range with your AVR or pre-pro. Then you turn ON the main subwoofer internal xover, and you set the internal x-over dial to about 45-47hz...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #412 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post

^The subsonic filter on the MBM will always rolloff freqs from about 50hz down...

Am I right to say there is already some predefined xover in mbm itself. Even if we set the knob at the amp plate to be OUT.

So my question is which is better? Set to OUT let it auto roll off at 50hz or set to IN and set knob to roll at 50hz?
post #413 of 506 Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale View Post

Am I right to say there is already some predefined xover in mbm itself. Even if we set the knob at the amp plate to be OUT.

So my question is which is better? Set to OUT let it auto roll off at 50hz or set to IN and set knob to roll at 50hz?

The MBM-12 rolls off naturally at 50 Hz. Its frequency response is 50 - 150 Hz +/- 2 dB with a low pass crossover that can be adjusted to 150 Hz.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #414 of 506 Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^Exactly. It has always a ~50hz xover to filter out the deeper bass.

Cacimar Hernandez
post #415 of 506 Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I will be using the crossover in the AVR to then send the frequencies below 50Hz to the ULS dual drive.

you wont be getting much out of your MBM if you do that

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #416 of 506 Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^why is that? would the MBMs not be getting everything above 50Hz up until approx 150Hz?
post #417 of 506 Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^why is that? would the MBMs not be getting everything above 50Hz up until approx 150Hz?

If you set the Xover on the receiver to 50hz, the receiver will only send 50hz to the subs. Meaning, the subs will handle anything from 50hz and lower. Since the Xover on the MBM is set at 50hz at it's lowest, the MBM is pretty much useless because the receiver is not sending anything over 50hz for it to work with. Now, if you set the receiver to 80hz, THEN the MBM has something to play with from 80hz-50hz.

Evil is Good
post #418 of 506 Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i guess this question is for Bill, as he has done what i would like to do already. If the MBMs are connected directly to the speakers via speaker wire, do both the MBM and the speaker act as ONE TOTAL speaker? By this i mean, would the bass that was going to the speaker initially, now go to the MBM and they all blend as one?

What i am trying to do, is improve my mid bass response without having to crossover at 80Hz. I would like for the MBM and speaker to act as one total full range speaker and have the punch in the 60-90Hz range coming from the MBM rather than the speaker. Is this possible and is it a good thing to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

If you set the Xover on the receiver to 50hz, the receiver will only send 50hz to the subs. Meaning, the subs will handle anything from 50hz and lower. Since the Xover on the MBM is set at 50hz at it's lowest, the MBM is pretty much useless because the receiver is not sending anything over 50hz for it to work with. Now, if you set the receiver to 80hz, THEN the MBM has something to play with from 80hz-50hz.

I believe Kimwyn wants to insert Stereo MBMs via Speaker-level inputs. The MBM-12 would not receive an LFE signal and would be a part of a bi-amped, self-powered L/R speaker.

post #419 of 506 Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

I believe Kimwyn wants to insert Stereo MBMs via Speaker-level inputs. The MBM-12 would not receive an LFE signal and would be a part of a bi-amped, self-powered L/R speaker.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. In that case, then it can be done.

Evil is Good
post #420 of 506 Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

hey WTF, what is your take on what I am trying to achieve?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer