post #421 of 472 Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

hey WTF, what is your take on what I am trying to achieve?

What AVR and L/R speakers are you using again?

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 472 Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Paradigm Signature S4 version 2
post #423 of 472 Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Pioneer Elite SC-27
Paradigm Signature S4 version 2

What you are talking about amounts to augmenting your L/R speakers with 12" woofers and adding 2 power amplifiers. What's not to like about that?

The MBMs are really cool toys, but can be tricky and/or time-consuming to implement properly. Although, inserting them into the chain as you're proposing may be pretty straight forward. I believe you would want to go for the MK2 version, with its sealed mode, to integrate easily with the sealed ULS-15s. You then may consider calibrating the MBM-12s and your S4s first (as one) to get the smoothest transition and response to around 50 Hz and then add in the ULS-15s for the material 50 Hz and below. I would suggest placing the MBMs up front, next to your S4s.

Your Paradigm speakers might be a little undersized to reproduce the mid-bass I think you're looking for and from the graph you posted, there may be an issue or two with the interaction of your speakers and subwoofers currently (e.g., crossover, phase, distance.) You might continue to play with placement, seating, and phase first. Depending on your room though, you just may be throwing more money at the problem.

Hope this helps a little.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #424 of 472 Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have two MBM-12 mk2's and recently moved to a new house. I have been experimenting with them and have found that one gives the desired effect in my new room which is smaller than the old one. If anyone is interested in a mk2 shoot me a pm. It's satin black. I have the box, packing, etc. and will ship. It's in the classified section. $435 shipped to lower 48. Saves over $100 from buying a new one.
post #425 of 472 Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talmadge View Post

I have two MBM-12 mk2's and recently moved to a new house. I have been experimenting with them and have found that one gives the desired effect in my new room which is smaller than the old one. If anyone is interested in a mk2 shoot me a pm. I have the box, packing, etc. and will ship. It's in the classifieds.

I sent you a PM.
post #426 of 472 Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is anyone using a MBM in a primarily music setup... be it two channle or hi-res surround? Most references in the thread are to HT and MBM enhancement to the sound of bullets. :-)

I just placed the order for an MBM yesterday. Any music recommendations that will really show off what the MBM can do?
post #427 of 472 Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Guys

I just bought a MBM12 to complement my VTF15. Right now in the midst of calibrating and positioning.

Am I right to say that the recommended setup is to use XO of the true sub and bypass XO of MBM12? Then set the XO at true sub at around 50hz level.

In that case, mbm12 will take care of anything from 50hz onwards. Do I set my AV receiver XO to be 60, 80 or 100hz?

Another question, do you guys prefer mbm to be in the front or nearfield? I want that in the chest upfront thumping so I thought I placed the mbm in front.

Thx
post #428 of 472 Old 08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
post #429 of 472 Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

--With the sub off, calibrate the MBM to the same level as the speakers
--With the MBM off, and the sub's xo switched off, calibrate it to the same level as the MBM and the speakers
--The above two steps match the level of the two subs to the same level, because you are matching their output at the same frequencies in the sub test tone
--Engage the sub's xo, turn both subs on, and calibrate the combined output of the sub and the MBM to match the level of the speakers

hi bsoko2

Can I clarify a few more points pls?

For the 1st two calibration, do I adjust using the sub gain knob or adjust the level of the sub via my AVR?

For the last step, am I right I adjust the output via my AVR level gain?

Thanks
post #430 of 472 Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

hi bsoko2

Can I clarify a few more points pls?

For the 1st two calibration, do I adjust using the sub gain knob or adjust the level of the sub via my AVR?

For the last step, am I right I adjust the output via my AVR level gain?

Thanks

Basically, one at a time set the subwoofer gains via the reciever pink tone with a spl meter:

Set the MBM gain at 72-73 Db. The MBM has a builtin 50 Hz high cutoff.

Set the True Sub gain at 72-73 Db. Then turn the sub crossover to 50 Hz.

With both subwoofers on, set the receiver sub channel level at 72- 73 Db for a flat output or hot. For this to be effective, you want the MBM nearfield and the Tru Sub at the front. When I ran this combo som time back, I had the dual HSU 3.3's in the corners, and the dual MBM's at the front, one with each main. Try it both ways and see which one you like.

Bill
post #431 of 472 Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Does it make gunshots more impactful n quicker if set mbm to sealed mode instead of ported?

Any other settings to fine-tune this ?
post #432 of 472 Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Liked: 22
when people have used the MBM Mid Bass Module, has anyone actually noticed any delay issues? I hear people talk about it but I would like to know if anyone actually has hooked this up to existing subs that are playing everything below 80
If you did , did it work? can you notice any delay issue; of course this is in milliseconds
I see that the Behringer 2024 is no longer made as well
would like to hear about others experience with this and if they did buy a delay unit, which one?
post #433 of 472 Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

when people have used the MBM Mid Bass Module, has anyone actually noticed any delay issues? I hear people talk about it but I would like to know if anyone actually has hooked this up to existing subs that are playing everything below 80
If you did , did it work? can you notice any delay issue; of course this is in milliseconds
I see that the Behringer 2024 is no longer made as well
would like to hear about others experience with this and if they did buy a delay unit, which one?

I have 2 true subs in farfield and the MBM nearfield. The best way I can describe my experience with the delay would be - playing them all together you dont really notice an audible delay. However, when I turn off the MBM, the bass is more fluid and balanced. If you are considering an MBM for nearfield placement, just get it. It will take some work to integrate it, but it's well worth it in the end.
post #434 of 472 Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM

I have owned my HSU VTF-15H & the MBM-12 MK2 for about 4 months now. I have spent a hand full of evenings trying different placement locations, bass crawling, adjusting, measuring, re-adjusting etc!!! I have been able to get my bass (16hz-250hz) with no more than 2dBs of variation. The results have been nothing short of AMAZING!!

I have a livingroom that is 2,500cuft but it opens up to approx another 4,500cuft. I have owned 6 previous subs from Sony, B&W, MartinLogan, Klipsch & Earthquake. With each purchase the bass was an upgrade for sure. But my last sub upgrade were these HSU subs & the leap in bass was huge!

With my speakers crossed over at about 90hz the MBM is handling 90-50hz (Nearfield) & the VTF-15H is handling 50hz & below (Farfield). I have the MBM in sealed mode & the 15H in MaxOutput mode Q .4. Both subs phase are set to 0.

I dont get any hint of delay whatsoever!! Im wondering if your Phase is set wrong. Ever room & placement is different so you need to try all 4 Phase options between the 2 subs. Have someone else flip the Phase switches while you set & listen. If possible, have an SPL meter in hand when you do this. Listen for the bass to be more powerful & smoother. Try each sub set to 0, both set to 180 & both options of them set opposite.

I have always been intrigued by the idea of splitting up the bass frequencies ever since i first read about it a few years ago. We do this for all the other frequencies by using tweeters, mid drivers & bass drivers so why not do it with sub-bass frequencies. I can personally vouch that 12" subs hit hard & clean but 15" subs dig deep. The combo of the MBM & a true sub of choice works so d@mn well i love it. Problem is however, that mow i want to save so i can get another MBM & another VTF-15H so i can have the MBMs in the back 2 corners & the 2 15Hs up front. Haha thatd be nice!!

For anyone considering the MBM-12, i personally recommend it very highly!!
Well done HSU!!
post #435 of 472 Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Hi everyone, It looks like there are many happy campers here, very satisfied with the MBM. I have e-mailed back and forth with Pete at HSU and think the MBM would greatly enhance my system. Does HSU ever put the MBM on sale? I only see specials from time to time on other products. Thanks.
post #436 of 472 Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM

Thinking about making the leap for the MBM MK2!. Want to upgrade my receiver to something with MultEQ XT (from 2EQ) first, then perhaps integrate an MBM with with VTF3 MK3! Is it going to Blow my MIND!!!!?!?!
post #437 of 472 Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arigg View Post

Thinking about making the leap for the MBM MK2!. Want to upgrade my receiver to something with MultEQ XT (from 2EQ) first, then perhaps integrate an MBM with with VTF3 MK3! Is it going to Blow my MIND!!!!?!?!

I have an MBM and 2 MK3's. I first bought an MK3 and then added an MBM.

Integration is tricky with Audyssey. I finally got another MK3 to match for even calibration. So I run the MK3's through MultEQ XT 32 and then use a splitter to attach the MBM to one of the MK3's ( AVR port). It's not ideal, but works the best for my set up and I also have the crossover set on the MBM with the MBM directly behind the LP.

The MBM's are sweet, but tricky. I recommend dual MK3's.....can't go wrong
arigg likes this.
post #438 of 472 Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM

I just put in my order for a MBM and looking forward to achievement in the quest of the higher bass!

I have an outlaw 990 and will be using the Velodyne sms-1 to smooth things out with the LFM-1 Plus.

Pete said to use the 990 to set the distance but use the nearfield MBM to integrate distance then the farfield LFM with that setting. I suppose if the MBM is delayed its more evident, but if the LFM is delayed at frequency below 50 then its not as apparent.

Ordered a Radio Shack meter and between the Outlaw 990, SMS-1 and the meter Im sure to mess it up many times but I'll get an education.

I guess in order I should:

1. Use the sound meter to get the output level.

2. Use the outlaw calibration to measure distance but I think it will also adjust output per channel?

3. Then use the SMS to smooth out the bass.

Any thoughts? I'll be going to page 33 of the HSU forum for sure!

If anyone has used an outlaw 990 mic'd up I'd enjoy reading the comments!
post #439 of 472 Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have had success integrating the MBM into my HT system with the JL Audio F 113, by using a Denon 4520 equipped with XT 32 and sub Eq...

Happy with the results:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2012/12/getting-that-rumble-in-sofa-and-thump.html
post #440 of 472 Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Got the unit and sent it back.

reason?

My MK set up is covering the 50-80 just fine without it and it was not adding much.

I played with it, moved it around. had it next to the couch, everything properly set up and just could not get it to add much to what I already had. No timing issue and calibrated everything just fine. I calibrated the time using the MBM as primary so there was no issue. It blended in well but was not giving me anything I did not already have.

To get it to give more "kick" it became directional and it was annoying.

I have 6 bass shakers in the 2 sofas giving me the gratuitous kick if I want it. .

Instead I found more benefit to playing with the acoustic nature of the room and using some crude riser/isolator and traps with some success. Im considering the ASC bassTrap for a more elegant solution. Im graduating to understanding shaking the room and house is cool but "less might be more". By turning off my second OutLaw LFM-1Plus I was using for more (is better right?) low end I realized that brute was nice for the heavy slamming and while I had calibrated the room with my Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ I just have too much going on. Basically it was all so impressive but I was not paying attention to the acoustic properties of and what it was doing.

By starting over and using just one sub and revisiting things at lower listening volume things the sound is really quite stunning and detailed. Maybe not as "in your face impressive" for when company comes over and wants that "U571" experience which is fun, but fatiguing over the course of 2 hours.

So what now? Stack my two MK 860's? ( I have another). I have three locations in the room I can bring in the second sub to and have to do a crawl test to see if they work with just using "Subdudes". Maybe get the ASC trap and use just one, or both in that coupled configuration? More is better but tighter is now the goal.

The MBM is nice concept and I can see in large spaces this is a good unit to have in place. My room is 20x16 with 8 foot ceilings with just one permanent opening. My other house had a 20x20 room with three large openings and 9 foot ceiling with a wall of glass. .

I can't say I'd discourage anyone from buying one as every system is different and each room has unique properties. The 30 money back guarantee HSU has is nice. I gave it a try. Without the guarantee I would not have "experimented" . It cost me about $100 to ship it both ways which I am not happy spending but it was worth it. Its a great concept and do wonder why there is not a lot of other manufacturers who make a similar product. Either its a great idea not yet copied by others or not much demand for it.
post #441 of 472 Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone have an MBM for sale? Curious about trying one out then maybe getting a 2nd one. I have a BP7000SC which have great lower bass but seem to lack a bit in the upper bass. HSU is recommeding 2, one for each side eek.gif So many boxes!

Thanks!
post #442 of 472 Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Anyone have an MBM for sale? Curious about trying one out then maybe getting a 2nd one. I have a BP7000SC which have great lower bass but seem to lack a bit in the upper bass. HSU is recommeding 2, one for each side eek.gif So many boxes!

Thanks!

Sent you a PM.

post #443 of 472 Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have dual Epik Legends. Obviously they are sealed. I was thinking about adding an MBM nearfield behind my back row. I'm assuming I would need to use the sealed mode with the MBM correct? Also, would I disable the Legends' crossover entirely so it can reproduce 20Hz-80Hz while the MBM is also reproducing 50Hz-80Hz. Or do I set the Legends' xo to reproduce 20Hz-50Hz and let the MBM handle 50Hz-80Hz on its own? I guess in other words, do I split the frequency ranges up between the subs?
post #444 of 472 Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

I have dual Epik Legends. Obviously they are sealed. I was thinking about adding an MBM nearfield behind my back row. I'm assuming I would need to use the sealed mode with the MBM correct? Also, would I disable the Legends' crossover entirely so it can reproduce 20Hz-80Hz while the MBM is also reproducing 50Hz-80Hz. Or do I set the Legends' xo to reproduce 20Hz-50Hz and let the MBM handle 50Hz-80Hz on its own? I guess in other words, do I split the frequency ranges up between the subs?

Here is the site for proper setup of a MBM-12 with a subwoofer, http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showpost.php?p=33939&postcount=33.

More info on setting up a HT room, http://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101
post #445 of 472 Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I sold an mbm and the gentlemen is saying that the volume knob makes noises when turning it up or down...I have several of them and they all do it...is this an issue? He also states the rca jack is dead...wasn't when I shipped it...can he use the other jack thats above the input? kinda upset considering the unit was functioning properly when I sent it.

Thanks
post #446 of 472 Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

I sold an mbm and the gentlemen is saying that the volume knob makes noises when turning it up or down...I have several of them and they all do it...is this an issue? He also states the rca jack is dead...wasn't when I shipped it...can he use the other jack thats above the input? kinda upset considering the unit was functioning properly when I sent it.

Thanks

Could be oxidation and dust. The contacts might need to be cleaned on the Volume control.

Either input will work, I believe.

post #447 of 472 Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I have two VTF 2 MK4s. If I get an MBM-12 is it possible to keep my low pass crossover at 90hz on my VTFs instead of setting it to 50hz and having MBM do all the midbass from 50-100hz? I have my LFE crossover on my subs at 90hz and my LCR crossover at 80hz. I want to get midbass from the MBM and my current subs. Thanks

JBL Pro Cinema
post #448 of 472 Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 447
It's possible, but its not necessary. Part of the charm of the MBM is by dedicating certain parts of the frequency bandwidth to each of the subs, the amplifier on each has less to deal with and can devote more power to a narrower frequency segment thereby raising headroom overall. You would get more out of your system as a whole if you just had the VTF2s take the low bass and the MBM take the mid and upper bass. If you have the VTF2s do the whole range along with an MBM, you will have a ton of mid and upper bass. Anyway, if I were you, I would try it both ways and keep whatever you prefer. It's going to sound pretty massive either way.
post #449 of 472 Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It's possible, but its not necessary. Part of the charm of the MBM is by dedicating certain parts of the frequency bandwidth to each of the subs, the amplifier on each has less to deal with and can devote more power to a narrower frequency segment thereby raising headroom overall. You would get more out of your system as a whole if you just had the VTF2s take the low bass and the MBM take the mid and upper bass. If you have the VTF2s do the whole range along with an MBM, you will have a ton of mid and upper bass. Anyway, if I were you, I would try it both ways and keep whatever you prefer. It's going to sound pretty massive either way.

Thanks alot shadyJ. Looks like I need to place an order for one of these. I will try the the traditional way at first as you and everyone recommends. I will have the MBM nearfield to the left of my couch as an end table from 50-90hz and my two VTF-2.4s in each corner behind my AT screen handling 50hz and below.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #450 of 472 Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi does anyone have a MBM they would like to sell? I am looking to buy a used.one. Thanks
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page