OFFICIAL Hsu MBM-12 thread - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #511 of 525 Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Why do you think the MBM-12 is discontinued? Is that what they told you?
As for the filters, do not use those passive in-line filters. Supposedly they change the resistance and mess with the frequency response beyond the stated filtering. An active filter like the Hsu is the correct way to deal with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 525 Old 03-17-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Why do you think the MBM-12 is discontinued? Is that what they told you?
As for the filters, do not use those passive in-line filters. Supposedly they change the resistance and mess with the frequency response beyond the stated filtering. An active filter like the Hsu is the correct way to deal with that.

Yes. I emailed to find out when they would be in stock and received reply:

"Hi Robert,

We are discontinuing the MBM-12 series.

Sincerely,
The Hsu Research Sales Team"

Also, thanks for the info regarding the passive filters. I was unaware.

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
My Previous Non-Dedicated space
post #513 of 525 Old 03-17-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Huh, that is a shame. However, with the massive mid bass that the VTF3 mk5 and VTF15h mk2 provides, I suppose it really isn't needed anymore. Anyway thanks for the heads up.
post #514 of 525 Old 03-17-2015, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It's still a great concept and is very effective once integrated correctly. You'll probably see this concept show up at some point down the road. As for the MBM-12 series, yes we are phasing them out.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #515 of 525 Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
I can see why HSU is phasing them out...they probably do not sell many of them. How many out there would actually take the time to integrate them properly? Most are not willing to measure the in room response to set up multiple Sub's let alone integrating 2 or more subs with vastly differing responses. The concept is solid and I understand why it is there but it is not very practical for most peoples needs.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #516 of 525 Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post
So it appears that Hsu has discontinued the mid bass module. I'm surprised. ...
I am, too. It's still on their site, and I was tempted to get one with a VTF-1, but opted for a VTF-2 instead. Still interested in one if I could have it handle 300Hz - 50Hz and let the VTF handle 80Hz - 16Hz.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #517 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I can see why HSU is phasing them out...they probably do not sell many of them. How many out there would actually take the time to integrate them properly? Most are not willing to measure the in room response to set up multiple Sub's let alone integrating 2 or more subs with vastly differing responses. The concept is solid and I understand why it is there but it is not very practical for most peoples needs.
I have a pair of HSU ULS-15's and a pair of MBM-12 MK2 Mid-Bass Module's in a 2-channel music system that also serves for HT use. IMO HSU needlessly made Mid Bass Module implementation Way To Complicated by refusing to consider and or recommend anything other than Near Field Placement. Near Field Placement has potential phasing & localization issues.

If you do as I did and simply place your Mid Bass Module anywhere between the left & right main you can set the MBM crossover at 150hz (Max) and you will have NO phasing and or localization issues. Furthermore just run your mains full range, adjust the Mid Bass Module volume to suite your room & taste and it will integrate seamlessly. Basically the Mid Bass Module reinforces the mains, this is very simple and works.

For the most seamless integration between Mid Bass Module and Mains use Speaker Level Connections into the Mid Bass Module and or Sub. HSU unfortunately discourages speaker level connections (boggles my mind). Go here and REL will tell you why they recommend speaker level as their first choice.

http://rel.net/support/faq/

HSU makes a great product but they really Blew It with the Mid Bass Module. I never understood how HSU could be so clueless about how easy it is to integrate a product that they manufacture???? It is a shame to see the Mid Bass Module go like this. If anyone is interested I explain here how I set up the Mid Bass Module in my system:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...m=1360355711/0
RobZ likes this.
post #518 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Shark View Post
I have a pair of HSU ULS-15's and a pair of MBM-12 MK2 Mid-Bass Module's in a 2-channel music system that also serves for HT use. IMO HSU needlessly made Mid Bass Module implementation Way To Complicated by refusing to consider and or recommend anything other than Near Field Placement. Near Field Placement has potential phasing & localization issues.

If you do as I did and simply place your Mid Bass Module anywhere between the left & right main you can set the MBM crossover at 150hz (Max) and you will have NO phasing and or localization issues. Furthermore just run your mains full range, adjust the Mid Bass Module volume to suite your room & taste and it will integrate seamlessly. Basically the Mid Bass Module reinforces the mains, this is very simple and works.

For the most seamless integration between Mid Bass Module and Mains use Speaker Level Connections into the Mid Bass Module and or Sub. HSU unfortunately discourages speaker level connections (boggles my mind). Go here and REL will tell you why they recommend speaker level as their first choice.

http://rel.net/support/faq/

HSU makes a great product but they really Blew It with the Mid Bass Module. I never understood how HSU could be so clueless about how easy it is to integrate a product that they manufacture???? It is a shame to see the Mid Bass Module go like this. If anyone is interested I explain here how I set up the Mid Bass Module in my system:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...m=1360355711/0

Very good point. Another use that some may find value in the MBM and the original reason for me purchasing one years ago is the ability to experience tactile midbass or punch without having to listen anywhere near reference level. When I purchased mine, I had a PB13 in the system and experienced plenty of tactile feel in mid bass but only at high volume. At the time I had a newborn in the house and our room was open to the rest of the house. Using the MBM nearfield worked very well though I know many here on avs will say I should have just put subdudes under the baby's crib and give him a pair of ear plugs

My Theater Room JVC RS4910, Panamorph UH480, 148 in. 2.40:1 Dalite HD Pro 1.3, Klipsch THX Ultra II's x 7, Quad JTR Captivator S1 subs
post #519 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 07:32 AM

[corrected, thanks]

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-20-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: missed posts #512 and #514
post #520 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I'm still not sure why any of you think the MBM is being phased out...? The sale price? What am I missing here?

If they mark them down further, I'll buy one. I've found that with my AVR cross over set higher, the VTF-2 provides enough bass that I can turn off any tone controls in my AVR. With an MBM, I could do that but have the VTF cross over a wee bit lower (which I don't need, at my volume levels the thing isnt even breaking a sweat).

They are discontinued (see 514 above). They no longer have black.
ChromeJob likes this.

post #521 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I'm still not sure why any of you think the MBM is being phased out...? The sale price? What am I missing here?

Roll back 7 posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/799936-official-hsu-mbm-12-thread-6.html#post32705121
ChromeJob likes this.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #522 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of MBM, I watched Whiplash last night with my wife and kids. They don't like the system at high levels so we had the Onkyo down to -15. The nearfield MBM really brought extra punch to the movie even though I would have preferred listening closer to -5 on my system.

post #523 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:

If they mark them down further, I'll buy one. I've found that with my AVR cross over set higher, the VTF-2 provides enough bass that I can turn off any tone controls in my AVR. With an MBM, I could do that but have the VTF cross over a wee bit lower (which I don't need, at my volume levels the thing isnt even breaking a sweat).

Perhaps you missed it due to iOS failure? Time for a Android...

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #524 of 525 Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Oops, yeah I missed posts 512 and 514. My bad. The "In stock: No" notation on the product page is so smaaallllll.... I suppose my purchase of a VTF-2 covers mid-bass, at least a little. I find using 120Hz or even 160Hz as the crossover works fine with my aging mains....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Perhaps you missed it due to iOS failure? Time for a Android...
... More like Tapatalk, or more likely high impedance between seat and keyboard. I use it on iOS and Android (currently, mobile arsenal stocked with Nexus 4, Nexus 7, iPod Touch, iPad Mini 2).

Last edited by ChromeJob; 03-20-2015 at 10:21 AM.
post #525 of 525 Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was a early adopter of having a MBM-12 with a Main sub (2008). Here are the directions on how to implement a MBM with a Main sub. http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showpos...9&postcount=33.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page