OFFICIAL Hsu MBM-12 thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 472 Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here is a site done by DrPainMD for setting up a home theater. It covers just about everything you would want to know: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554.

Bill
bsoko2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all.

i'm not getting much midbass from my infinity beta 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers. shocking i know.

would i be better off buying three towers for LCR (i've heard them and they seem good for midbass) for almost $1k total or buying the mbm-12 for $500?

room is small. about 120 sq feet but it's only for HT
union1411 is offline  
post #123 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
weverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

hi all.

i'm not getting much midbass from my infinity beta 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers. shocking i know.

would i be better off buying three towers for LCR (i've heard them and they seem good for midbass) for almost $1k total or buying the mbm-12 for $500?

room is small. about 120 sq feet but it's only for HT

My vote goes for a MBM. No $1k tower will move as much air as a MBM. In addition, a MBM can be placed nearfield (tower cannot) for even more impact.

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
weverb is offline  
post #124 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's $1k total for 3 towers (each with dual 8 inch woofers; the Beta 50s), but thanks for the post. i'll give the mbm-12 a try. i should doing some measurements with REW but i've been lazy. definitely will try the mbm-12, esp since it has 30 day money back. thanks.
union1411 is offline  
post #125 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
thsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

hi all.

i'm not getting much midbass from my infinity beta 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers. shocking i know.

would i be better off buying three towers for LCR (i've heard them and they seem good for midbass) for almost $1k total or buying the mbm-12 for $500?

room is small. about 120 sq feet but it's only for HT

I not heard the the towers you reference but I have Polk RTi8s and before I received my second MBM I ran one upfront and the true sub behind LP. It was a huge improvement in mid-bass, adding the second made it insane and I have over 4200cf in my room.

I did not like the MBM behind LP, too localized and could not feel the deep bass with true sub upfront.

Settings now are AVR xo at 120hz, MBMs xo set to out and true sub xo set to 60 hz(sometimes set it to 45hz, depends on what I am listening to)

I would think 1 MBM in your room would give you the mid-bass you desire. If you do not like it I am sure you will have no problem selling it. I know a guy chomping at the bit to buy a used one but if one does not come along soon he will most likely buy a new one.
thsmith is offline  
post #126 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks. what does LP mean? where do you have your MBMs located now?
union1411 is offline  
post #127 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
weverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

what does LP mean?

LP = Listening Position

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
weverb is offline  
post #128 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
thsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

thanks. what does LP mean? where do you have your MBMs located now?

sweetspot aka Listening Position. I have 1 MBM up front with each main.
thsmith is offline  
post #129 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been reading and thinking about this unit for more than a year, and finally gave in late last night and placed the order. Just as HSU says, in my room I find the best sub placement for deep bass is the left front corner but this has proven to not be the best for the 'slam' region from 40-80hz. I think having a midbass module with separate level control is going to be the solution to getting the 'punch' I'm craving.

I'll try the MBM-12 centered between my mains about 7ft from the listening position which will keep it pretty close to time alignment with the sub and speakers and will allow experimentation with a higher crossover, and will also try it directly behind my listening chair with an 80hz crossover since this is how the Dr. had it set up at the shows that have elicted rave reviews.

I mentioned in the order notes the returning customer discount on the MBM-12 (purchased dual VTF-3.3's and Turbos in 2006/07) that I've read about in the forums, hope that is still going on

Cheers,
Ross
rossandwendy is offline  
post #130 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
King_David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elkins Park PA
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Been reading and thinking about this unit for more than a year, and finally gave in late last night and placed the order. Just as HSU says, in my room I find the best sub placement for deep bass is the left front corner but this has proven to not be the best for the 'slam' region from 40-80hz. I think having a midbass module with separate level control is going to be the solution to getting the 'punch' I'm craving.

I'll try the MBM-12 centered between my mains about 7ft from the listening position which will keep it pretty close to time alignment with the sub and speakers and will allow experimentation with a higher crossover, and will also try it directly behind my listening chair with an 80hz crossover since this is how the Dr. had it set up at the shows that have elicted rave reviews.

I mentioned in the order notes the returning customer discount on the MBM-12 (purchased dual VTF-3.3's and Turbos in 2006/07) that I've read about in the forums, hope that is still going on

Cheers,
Ross

Good choice. I have mine set up the same way.
King_David is offline  
post #131 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ribbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
rossandwendy,
what are your mains subs now?

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
ribbit is offline  
post #132 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone running the mbm and buttkickers? i'm wondering if one will make the other somewhat redundant.

also, how would i wire the mbm and buttkickers from the receiver's LFE out? Y splitter to another Y splitter?
union1411 is offline  
post #133 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

rossandwendy,
what are your mains subs now?

Currently running a Conquest and really liking it, but still have dual PB13's here and may try those with the MBM also.

Cheers,
Ross
rossandwendy is offline  
post #134 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ribbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

Currently running a Conquest and really liking it, but still have dual PB13's here and may try those with the MBM also.

Cheers,
Ross

thanks, please keep us up to date on how the MBM affects your listening. like you, i'm looking for that "punch"

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
ribbit is offline  
post #135 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My duel MBM-12's are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I will be trying them out with my current pair of HGS-18's. According to the shipping company my Conquests have an estimated delivery of the 18th.

First I will be trying them out placed up front with my mains since I am using Buttkickers for the seating.

I have the tactile transducers fed from one of the 2 auxilliary programmable channels of a Parasound C2. The channels can be fed a user-selectable mix of signals from the other 7.1 channels. Each has independently adjustable duel high-pass and duel low-pass filters in 5 Hz increments, delay, gain and provision for deriving content from any or all of the other eight channels, mixed in any proportion and configuration in or out of phase.
The TT's are receiving signals from all channels lowpassed at 20 Hz with an independent delay from my subwoofers..

I am thinking about using the 2nd programmable channel to feed the MBM's. This will give me a considerable amount of flexibility.

John
John H is offline  
post #136 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My duel MBM-12's are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I will be trying them out with my current pair of HGS-18's. According to the shipping company my Conquests have an estimated delivery of the 18th.

First I will be trying them out placed up front with my mains since I am using Buttkickers for the seating.

I have the tactile transducers fed from one of the 2 auxilliary programmable channels of a Parasound C2. The channels can be fed a user-selectable mix of signals from the other 7.1 channels. Each has independently adjustable duel high-pass and duel low-pass filters in 5 Hz increments, delay, gain and provision for deriving content from any or all of the other eight channels, mixed in any proportion and configuration in or out of phase.
The TT's are receiving signals from all channels lowpassed at 20 Hz with an independent delay from my subwoofers..

I am thinking about using the 2nd programmable channel to feed the MBM's. This will give me a considerable amount of flexibility.

John

That's some nice flexibility you got there John. Looking forward to your comments on both the Conquests and the MBM's.

Cheers,
Ross
rossandwendy is offline  
post #137 of 472 Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

thanks, please keep us up to date on how the MBM affects your listening. like you, i'm looking for that "punch"

Will do. It's interesting to me that even with really good subs such as the Ultra and Conquest, there is still a desire for more of that chest-pounding slamming midbass...I think that is a key aspect in an HT system that has truly high impact, more important for sure than the sub-20hz stuff IMO. I hope the MBM12 can provide this...

Cheers,
Ross
rossandwendy is offline  
post #138 of 472 Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My duel MBM's arrived this afternoon and I positioned them up front with my mains. One just inside each main. I am currently using them with a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's. Duel Conquests are scheduled for delivery on the 18th.

Connection configuration - Processors Sub Out --> Anti-Mode 8033B --> MBM-12's/HGS18's

I began the setup process with the crossovers in both MBM-12's and both HGS-18's bypassed.
Turning them on and off one at a time I set each of their gains to match using pink noise.
I engaged the lowpass crossovers on the HGS-18's at 50hz. I left the MBM-12's crossovers bypassed.
Turning them all on I then used the Anti-Mode 8033B to correct the room.
Finally I set the entire MBM-12's/HGS-18's groups combined gain to match the rest of the channels.

I haven't experimented with nearfield placement or connecting them to a programmable channel yet.

I have a very diffucult room that is basically square.
15' 8" D x 15' 11" W x 8' H Sealed
Carpet over cement, drywall, 2 walls are insulated exterior. The window well is stuffed with 3" of foam
and covered with solid panel shutters. LP is 3' from rear wall.

John



John H is offline  
post #139 of 472 Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
weverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John, that is absolutely beautiful! I am very jealous. Have tried bypassing the 8033 to see how much it helped?

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
weverb is offline  
post #140 of 472 Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ribbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
very nice John!

your initial comments?

the HGS-18's you have are right smack in the corners, no space from the walls? did you ever try to move them away from the corners?

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
ribbit is offline  
post #141 of 472 Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the compliments.

weverb,

I haven't had much time to experiment with the 8033's bypass since I added the MBM's this afternoon.

ribbit,

The HGS-18's have been up front in the corners for a few years. It use to be

The Bedroom HT

I will definitely have to rearrange them when the Conquests arrive.

John
John H is offline  
post #142 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
weverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John,

Tell me more as you get to play. I am very interested in the same unit. I am still tweaking my current set-up before introducing some type of BFD. I may not need it, but still want to hear your impressions.

Thanks.

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
weverb is offline  
post #143 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pharcyde23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: az
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My duel MBM's arrived this afternoon...

What is you center channel sitting on? I have a DT 2300 and would love to get it angled in a similar way.
Pharcyde23 is offline  
post #144 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
King_David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elkins Park PA
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My duel MBM's arrived this afternoon and I positioned them up front with my mains. One just inside each main. I am currently using them with a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's. Duel Conquests are scheduled for delivery on the 18th.

Connection configuration - Processors Sub Out --> Anti-Mode 8033B --> MBM-12's/HGS18's

I began the setup process with the crossovers in both MBM-12's and both HGS-18's bypassed.
Turning them on and off one at a time I set each of their gains to match using pink noise.
I engaged the lowpass crossovers on the HGS-18's at 50hz. I left the MBM-12's crossovers bypassed.
Turning them all on I then used the Anti-Mode 8033B to correct the room.
Finally I set the entire MBM-12's/HGS-18's groups combined gain to match the rest of the channels.

I haven't experimented with nearfield placement or connecting them to a programmable channel yet.

I have a very diffucult room that is basically square.
15' 8" D x 15' 11" W x 8' H Sealed
Carpet over cement, drywall, 2 walls are insulated exterior. The window well is stuffed with 3" of foam
and covered with solid panel shutters. LP is 3' from rear wall.

John




What kind of mains are those?
King_David is offline  
post #145 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pharcyde23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: az
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

What kind of mains are those?

Def Tech BPs
Pharcyde23 is offline  
post #146 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MBM has officially shipped. i feel like i'm now part of a small family of midbass freaks there can't be that many of us in the world.
union1411 is offline  
post #147 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
weverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

MBM has officially shipped. i feel like i'm now part of a small family of midbass freaks there can't be that many of us in the world.

Let the addiction begin! Fortunately we have a very good support group you are joining. You will know that you have a real problem you start talking about adding a second, third,......

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
weverb is offline  
post #148 of 472 Old 08-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

Def Tech BPs

Yes BP2000 TL's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

What is you center channel sitting on? I have a DT 2300 and would love to get it angled in a similar way.

Lovan M2



That's a Def Tech C/L/R 3000 on top.

John
John H is offline  
post #149 of 472 Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
union1411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so, my svs pb10 doesn't have a crossover on it. hsu mentioned that a F-Mod might work. anyone know if there are any significant downsides to that approach? i plan on upgrading to a new true sub soon, but for now it's the svs.
union1411 is offline  
post #150 of 472 Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have done a little more experimenting with placement. As metioned I started out with the MBM's up front with my mains. In this position I actually heard them struggling a bit on demanding material. I listen to all my material
-7 dB below reference.

This evening I placed them nearfield directly behind the listening position. I engaged the internal lowpass at 80 hz. I used a programmable channel and was able to take advantage of a separate delay.

Then I pulled my HGS-18's out of the corners and placed them up front with my mains with the MBM's still nearfield.

Currently I am testing eveything in the rear of the room. The MBM-12's are still behind the listening position lowpassed at 80 hz and the HGS-18's are on each side lowpassed at 55 Hz.

Each time something was moved I matched the 4 subwoofers gain levels and re-ran the anti-mode 8033B room correction. Then recalibrated subwoofer levels to match the system.

I still need to do some more experimentation. I do like this last configuration the best. Even in the first configuration it did smooth out the bass in the room. No more localization issues I was experiencing.

This leaves the front corners open for the Conquests when they arrive early this week. Due to their size it might be the only place for them.

I plan on removing that recliner platform and staining it Bombay Mahogany.

John



John H is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off