Which is better SuperCube I or Sunfire True Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just wondering which is better out of the two. I currently own a Def Tech SuperCube I and planning on replacing it with the Sunfire True Sub. I am looking for something farily smaller, around 12x12x12. I also own a Sunfire Junior and is fairly impressed with its sound for its size, but want bigger. Should I purchase the Sunfire True Subwoofer or just keep the SuperCube I. Let me know what you think is better and if there is something better in that size class? It is used for 70% movies and 30% music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
I wouldn't get rid of a SuperCube 1 for a Sunfire if you already own the Def Tech. A really good choice in the size and price range you are looking at is the Earthquake MK-V10 (piano black finish please). its 12x12x17
post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
For HT use a Sunfire of the same size will outperform a Definitive,for music the Definitive will do better. Find a dealer and listen,if possible get a Sunfire EQ home and audition,just make sure you can get a refund if it is not to your liking.

It is about moving air,and Sunfire has no equal in very small subs(output down deep per cubic foot).

Earthquake,yes they are good.I was never impressed by their subs,besides the largest unit using the 15" unit.The big Earthquake sure can do a great job for HT.

Just my two cents.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post

How about the new sub from SVS.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

You know you're not supposed to recommend sVS subs in non sVS threads right?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem View Post

You know you're not supposed to recommend sVS subs in non sVS threads right?

OK HSU fanboy LOL
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

In tiny subs Sunfire subs move the most air down deep. Take the Sunfire Sig(Sig EQ)and compare it to the Velo SPL1200 or the new SVS microsub. The Sunfire will have the most output under 30hz.

I am ready to bet on it. Bet a week off from AVSforums.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 PM

its funny how opinions can vary so much from listener to listener. I have never been overly impressed with Sunfire subs (and I had several reliability issues too). I would take a EQ MK-V all day over pretty much any Sunfire (and now the MK-VI's are out). They (sunfire) are a technical marvel for sure but I could never get them to perform at a level justifying their cost. To be fair, I have only owned the EQ MK-V12 & 15, but I did audition a 10 incher for a week before I decided to go with the MK-V12. To each his own I guess. are there any graphs plotting the Sunfire THD down low? I sometimes think that people mistake distortion for deep bass down low (below 35hz) and get caught up in the marketing hype that the sunfire brings to the table. possibly I am wrong since there are quite a few Sunfire owners out there that swear by their True subs, I just swore at them
post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

its funny how opinions can vary so much from listener to listener. I have never been overly impressed with Sunfire subs (and I had several reliability issues too). I would take a EQ MK-V all day over pretty much any Sunfire (and now the MK-VI's are out). They (sunfire) are a technical marvel for sure but I could never get them to perform at a level justifying their cost. To be fair, I have only owned the EQ MK-V12 & 15, but I did audition a 10 incher for a week before I decided to go with the MK-V12. To each his own I guess. are there any graphs plotting the Sunfire THD down low? I sometimes think that people mistake distortion for deep bass down low (below 35hz) and get caught up in the marketing hype that the sunfire brings to the table. possibly I am wrong since there are quite a few Sunfire owners out there that swear by their True subs, I just swore at them

Yes check Secrets of High Fidelity,it is clearly shown the SUnfire Signature EQ has very low distortion.near the large SVS in fact,even at 25Hz! People blow up the Sunfire distortion out of proportion. Meaurments speak louder than words(little opinions).

I callenge you to pit Eqrthquake distortion levels against Sunfire(comparable models in size here). We will see how brutal Sunfire distortion is.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM

I had the Sunfire MK-IV True sub and EQ MK-V12 together for a bit and everything from integration, extension, tactile response and musicality to me favored the EQ. The final nail in the coffin was when the Sunfire amp died upon powering up one day. Good-bye tiny bass cube!! Maybe the Sunfire Sig. is an improved transducer, but I learned my lesson on Sunfires before I bought one. Doesn't matter really, their performances have both gone the way of the Dodo now that JL's adorn my listening rooms.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

I had the Sunfire MK-IV True sub and EQ MK-V12 together for a bit and everything from integration, extension, tactile response and musicality to me favored the EQ. The final nail in the coffin was when the Sunfire amp died upon powering up one day. Good-bye tiny bass cube!! Maybe the Sunfire Sig. is an improved transducer, but I learned my lesson on Sunfires before I bought one. Doesn't matter really, their performances have both gone the way of the Dodo now that JL's adorn my listening rooms.

JL Audio subs do ot compete with the minuscule Sunfire subs.And JL Audio beats Earthquake and Sunfire subs to the ground when you listen for sound quality.

Not even close here

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page