Which is better SuperCube I or Sunfire True Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
nautica602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just wondering which is better out of the two. I currently own a Def Tech SuperCube I and planning on replacing it with the Sunfire True Sub. I am looking for something farily smaller, around 12x12x12. I also own a Sunfire Junior and is fairly impressed with its sound for its size, but want bigger. Should I purchase the Sunfire True Subwoofer or just keep the SuperCube I. Let me know what you think is better and if there is something better in that size class? It is used for 70% movies and 30% music.
nautica602 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
nautica602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone?
nautica602 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
kgb540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wouldn't get rid of a SuperCube 1 for a Sunfire if you already own the Def Tech. A really good choice in the size and price range you are looking at is the Earthquake MK-V10 (piano black finish please). its 12x12x17
kgb540 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal,CANADA
Posts: 3,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For HT use a Sunfire of the same size will outperform a Definitive,for music the Definitive will do better. Find a dealer and listen,if possible get a Sunfire EQ home and audition,just make sure you can get a refund if it is not to your liking.

It is about moving air,and Sunfire has no equal in very small subs(output down deep per cubic foot).

Earthquake,yes they are good.I was never impressed by their subs,besides the largest unit using the 15" unit.The big Earthquake sure can do a great job for HT.

Just my two cents.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
TheEAR is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mazersteven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mazersteven is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
rockemsockem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post

How about the new sub from SVS.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

You know you're not supposed to recommend sVS subs in non sVS threads right?
rockemsockem is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
nautica602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input. Anyone else?
nautica602 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mazersteven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem View Post

You know you're not supposed to recommend sVS subs in non sVS threads right?

OK HSU fanboy LOL
mazersteven is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal,CANADA
Posts: 3,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In tiny subs Sunfire subs move the most air down deep. Take the Sunfire Sig(Sig EQ)and compare it to the Velo SPL1200 or the new SVS microsub. The Sunfire will have the most output under 30hz.

I am ready to bet on it. Bet a week off from AVSforums.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
TheEAR is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
kgb540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
its funny how opinions can vary so much from listener to listener. I have never been overly impressed with Sunfire subs (and I had several reliability issues too). I would take a EQ MK-V all day over pretty much any Sunfire (and now the MK-VI's are out). They (sunfire) are a technical marvel for sure but I could never get them to perform at a level justifying their cost. To be fair, I have only owned the EQ MK-V12 & 15, but I did audition a 10 incher for a week before I decided to go with the MK-V12. To each his own I guess. are there any graphs plotting the Sunfire THD down low? I sometimes think that people mistake distortion for deep bass down low (below 35hz) and get caught up in the marketing hype that the sunfire brings to the table. possibly I am wrong since there are quite a few Sunfire owners out there that swear by their True subs, I just swore at them
kgb540 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal,CANADA
Posts: 3,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

its funny how opinions can vary so much from listener to listener. I have never been overly impressed with Sunfire subs (and I had several reliability issues too). I would take a EQ MK-V all day over pretty much any Sunfire (and now the MK-VI's are out). They (sunfire) are a technical marvel for sure but I could never get them to perform at a level justifying their cost. To be fair, I have only owned the EQ MK-V12 & 15, but I did audition a 10 incher for a week before I decided to go with the MK-V12. To each his own I guess. are there any graphs plotting the Sunfire THD down low? I sometimes think that people mistake distortion for deep bass down low (below 35hz) and get caught up in the marketing hype that the sunfire brings to the table. possibly I am wrong since there are quite a few Sunfire owners out there that swear by their True subs, I just swore at them


Yes check Secrets of High Fidelity,it is clearly shown the SUnfire Signature EQ has very low distortion.near the large SVS in fact,even at 25Hz! People blow up the Sunfire distortion out of proportion. Meaurments speak louder than words(little opinions).

I callenge you to pit Eqrthquake distortion levels against Sunfire(comparable models in size here). We will see how brutal Sunfire distortion is.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
TheEAR is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
kgb540's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the Sunfire MK-IV True sub and EQ MK-V12 together for a bit and everything from integration, extension, tactile response and musicality to me favored the EQ. The final nail in the coffin was when the Sunfire amp died upon powering up one day. Good-bye tiny bass cube!! Maybe the Sunfire Sig. is an improved transducer, but I learned my lesson on Sunfires before I bought one. Doesn't matter really, their performances have both gone the way of the Dodo now that JL's adorn my listening rooms.
kgb540 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TheEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal,CANADA
Posts: 3,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

I had the Sunfire MK-IV True sub and EQ MK-V12 together for a bit and everything from integration, extension, tactile response and musicality to me favored the EQ. The final nail in the coffin was when the Sunfire amp died upon powering up one day. Good-bye tiny bass cube!! Maybe the Sunfire Sig. is an improved transducer, but I learned my lesson on Sunfires before I bought one. Doesn't matter really, their performances have both gone the way of the Dodo now that JL's adorn my listening rooms.

JL Audio subs do ot compete with the minuscule Sunfire subs.And JL Audio beats Earthquake and Sunfire subs to the ground when you listen for sound quality.

Not even close here

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
TheEAR is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off