post #91 of 102 Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I actually saw the $6,000 price on a website. Like I said, that site no longer lists J L Audio. I had to see it for myself. It was exactly $6,000. I didn't look into it any further as I was not in a position to spend $6,000 on a subwoofer.

When certain high end items do not sell...guess what happens to MSRP?

The MSRP has not changed. Perhaps that one store just couldn't sell any. A store near me has sold several Gothams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 05-30-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post

The MSRP has not changed. Perhaps that one store just couldn't sell any. A store near me has sold several Gothams.

I guess I was not as clear as I could have been. I understand that the MSRP on the Gotham has not changed from $11,000. My point is that when a product does not sell for its suggested price, one way to move that inventory is to reduce the selling price by 45% off of the MSRP. Check my math, but I think that the $6,000 selling price is ~45% off of the MSRP.

The Gotham is a "statement" piece. For every Gotham sold how many F113s, F112's, F110's, and F212's do you think that J L Audio is going to sell?
post #93 of 102 Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I actually saw the $6,000 price on a website. Like I said, that site no longer lists J L Audio. I had to see it for myself. It was exactly $6,000. I didn't look into it any further as I was not in a position to spend $6,000 on a subwoofer.

When certain high end items do not sell...guess what happens to MSRP?

Well we don't have to worry about that with the Gotham. I was put on a waiting list to get mine and had to wait well over a month to receive them. JL Audio had that many orders in front of mine.

By the way, I did pay considerably more than $6k for mine, even with a huge order along with it. And I did shop around in several surrounding states as well. The best deal I could find was the one I got through a custom installer.

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #94 of 102 Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
agree. its like saying "how many speakers can wilson actually sell at 125k price". problem is that theres like 6 months backorder, so yeah, i don;t think anyone is losing money.

post #95 of 102 Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Liked: 12
Here are a couple of youtube videos of my Gotham subs in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5tdPhaNAUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pnaf337YU0

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
post #96 of 102 Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just called my usual AV dealer to inquire about what HT JL Audio subs they had in stock. He said that they have several subs of all flavors in stock. When I asked if they had a Gotham he got really excited. He said that they have had a demo model in stock for a really long time that they haven't been able to sell. He wouldn't say over the phone what price he would sell it to me for. I said I would need more than 50% off because this sub is pretty much the same as 2 f113s. He said he would go lower than that to get it out of his inventory. What should I expect to pay for a demo Gotham? I am thinking no more than 5K, but I am hoping for even less since it is a demo model.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #97 of 102 Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
why would they sell the demo, has the Gotham been discontinued ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #98 of 102 Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I just called my usual AV dealer to inquire about what HT JL Audio subs they had in stock. He said that they have several subs of all flavors in stock. When I asked if they had a Gotham he got really excited. He said that they have had a demo model in stock for a really long time that they haven't been able to sell. He wouldn't say over the phone what price he would sell it to me for. I said I would need more than 50% off because this sub is pretty much the same as 2 f113s. He said he would go lower than that to get it out of his inventory. What should I expect to pay for a demo Gotham? I am thinking no more than 5K, but I am hoping for even less since it is a demo model.

Counsil,

If you're serious about it I'm sure when and if you go into the store really ready to purchase it you'll get a good deal on the Gotham.
post #99 of 102 Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

why would they sell the demo, has the Gotham been discontinued ?

I got the distinct impression that they got one in stock thinking it would sell, but never did. Simple as that.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #100 of 102 Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I'm about 98% sure that the gotham has not been discontinued. Speaking with Carl Kennedy from JL, he was hinting around that they're just getting their next run of drivers together. I wouldn't worry too much if you're looking for one.
post #101 of 102 Old 09-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The JL Gotham definitely hasn't been discontinued, 100% certain of that, it's just a rare item that isn't nearly as mainstream as the Fathom product line. The fact that the JL Fathom f113 thread has 6,780 posts and the JL Gotham g213 thread has 101 posts, with the previous post made 5.5 years ago, shows just how wide the demand margin is between product lines.

After years of patience and deliberation, I ordered a pair this summer from my local dealer, Sound Concepts. I know first hand just how few pictures exist of the JL Gotham on this forum, so I'm going to share a few new ones. Also, Ryan Heringer, owner/founder of Sound Concepts, visited the JL Audio manufacturing facility a few weeks ago and he took pics of Gothams in production.

• The first three pictures show a batch of Gothams being made during August 2014. I was told that they had 12 Gothams in the pipeline to fulfill an unusual flurry of Gotham orders.
  • Pics 4 & 5 show the 2014 labels (Editors' Choice Award for 6 years in a row + 2014 manufacturing date).
  • The last three pics show a new pair of 2014 Gothams integrated into my setup.

Still work in progress. When I finalize the positioning, I'll replace and remake virtually all of the cabling. Will update my system configuration page with the finalized pics when perfection is achieved.

I play music and movies at relatively low levels when compared to what these speaker are capable of, yet I appreciate that the Gothams produce a very clear, accurate, and deep bass when the signal calls for it. The difference between the f212 which I had previously and the g213 is not significant, but it does play a little deeper, the grills are so much easier to handle (the f212 grill was a burden to remove), and the units actually look better in person than the dozens of pictures I collected during my coveting and waiting period prior to ownership. I liked the small footprint of the f212 and was worried that the g213 would be too large for my room, but they fit just fine after some adjustments. Now my setup has gained symmetry in speaker positioning and I have peace of mind in knowing that better HT subs don't yet exist.

P.S.: The Gothams are very easy to slide around on your own with minimal effort once placed. Barry Ober of JL Audio explained that simply placing a cloth under the rubber feet will make moving the Gotham easier, and it most certainly did. The fact that the feet are a tripod arrangement makes tilting the Gotham on your own for cloth placement a remarkably trivial task. I was afraid that I would have to trouble friends every time I wanted to critique placement. The cloth trick only applies to smooth floors though. Pics 7 and 8 show the pieces of white cloth that I have left under one Gotham for positioning adjustments. I cut pieces from an old white t-shirt from the arm/shoulder area, that way it provides two layers of cloth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	255738   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	255746   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	255754   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	255762   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	961.6 KB
ID:	255770  

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	255778   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	975.6 KB
ID:	255786   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	255794  
mpedris likes this.

Last edited by Neo-Geo; 09-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #102 of 102 Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just referenced the serial number of a 2008 Gotham which is #164, see attached pic. Mine are in the 350s, are sequential serials, & manufactured June 2014 (as seen above). Lets assume that Gotham production is in the 370s as of September 2014, and its well known that Gothams are usually sold in pairs. This tells us that there are approximately 185 households in the world with g213(s). There are currently 195 countries (sovereign nations) in the world, so there are 'almost' enough Gothams in circulation for there to be 1 pair per country. That is rare!

Based on the data we know and assuming that serial numbers were not skipped, we can also accurately extrapolate the following averages from 2008 to 2014:
2.66 units sold per month
31.94 sold per year
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_57[3].jpg
Views:	13
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	255802  
mpedris likes this.

Last edited by Neo-Geo; 09-10-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page