***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 198Likes

Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Round it out with some quality pipe organ recordings to really make the walls shake! My favorite ...

Bach "Toccata and Fugue in d minor"

... and several episodes of HBO's "The Pacific" might just have you diving for the foxholes in your HT room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just ordered my second vtf-1 sub from HSU in a walnut finish.Hoping it will come close to matching my Monitor Audio RS6,s in walnut.I moved my first VTF-1 to my bedroom setup where I watch about 80% of my movies anyway.The new sub will be used about 80% music 20% H.T. in the living room. I was torn between the HSU and one of the new emotivia subs but the HSU seem to be built a little more heavy,and like I said I have been more than happy with my first vtf-1. So for a little more money its hard to jump ship.

I have a question about both of these subs. It seems that on both music and movies I have to raise the volume pretty high to get really good bass. When I turn it up its great. Is there anyway to get more bass at lower volume by either a adjustment on the subs or on my Onkyo 805 ?

Thanks for suggestions.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1 View Post

I just ordered my second vtf-1 sub from HSU in a walnut finish.Hoping it will come close to matching my Monitor Audio RS6,s in walnut.I moved my first VTF-1 to my bedroom setup where I watch about 80% of my movies anyway.The new sub will be used about 80% music 20% H.T. in the living room. I was torn between the HSU and one of the new emotivia subs but the HSU seem to be built a little more heavy,and like I said I have been more than happy with my first vtf-1. So for a little more money its hard to jump ship.

I have a question about both of these subs. It seems that on both music and movies I have to raise the volume pretty high to get really good bass. When I turn it up its great. Is there anyway to get more bass at lower volume by either a adjustment on the subs or on my Onkyo 805 ?

Thanks for suggestions.

Give Audyssey Dynamic EQ a try at lower listening levels.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Old 07-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Give Audyssey Dynamic EQ a try at lower listening levels.

Thanks for your reply but my 805 does not have Dynamic Eq.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply but my 805 does not have Dynamic Eq.

Dang.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thanks for suggestions.

You could try using a Y splitter into both inputs on the VTF-1.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Banks1, what happens when you just bring up the levels on the sub or the AV receiver?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM

I dont get really good bass on either music or movies untill I turn up the system to -20.This is after running Audyssey I have all speakers set to small and crossover@ 80.It could be the source because on blue ray with dts and D. true it sounds a lot fuller and better at lower voulmes.Like I stated if I turn up the level to around -20 or higher the bass really kicks in. At -35 or -30 the deep full sound just is not there. I dont get bass that hits you in your chest on movies untill -15 t o-10 on the volume on the 805.By then my wife wants to know if I am deaf.

Dont get me wrong I have plenty of good bass at high levels just not at lower volume.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

You could try using a Y splitter into both inputs on the VTF-1.

I assume Radio shack would have this ? Does this let you go from one cable to two so that you can plug it into both inputs on the sub?

Thanks for your replys.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Banks1, It does seem like the problem you are having is exactly what Dynamic EQ was designed to fix. Does your AVR have a "Loudness" button?

Dynamic EQ changes the equalizer as the volume is changed to keep the lows and highs near flat (the natural tendency is for these frequencies to taper faster than the mids when you lower the volume).

The old "Loudness" button basically does the same thing, but of course it's not calibrated, and not based on a volume curve, it's just on or off. But it's designed to give you a fuller sound at low volume.

You could also try Dynamic volume, or "midnight" mode, but this will decrease your dynamic range, and may not be a desired effect... but might sound a little fuller at low volume.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys.

My yamaha in the bedroom has a Enhancer mode that seems to help some .Its kind of weird because Audyssey sets my fronts to large and double bass on my 805. I go back and set the mains to small and 80 xover. so that the sub handles anything below that.When it comes to subs I am lost as far as setup ect.I know my spouse would die if I mention a new A.V.R. I really like my 805 due to the power and I have never had any issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I assume Radio shack would have this ? Does this let you go from one cable to two so that you can plug it into both inputs on the sub?

Thanks for your replys.

Yes

It is a "one female to two male" RCA splitter like this

It might help a little but the VTF-1 is not that powerful of a sub for the size room you have it in. So I would not expect much difference. The only way you will get better bass at lower volume would be to either use both the VTF-1s you own and put them into the family room or buy a higher price subwoofer such as the VTF3. The other method for getting a "kick in the chest" feeling at lower volume is to add transducers (buttkickers) to your seating.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If your receiver has a subwoofer output, I do not think a splitter will make any difference at all. You are basically taking the same exact signal and putting it into both inputs of the sub which doesn’t change anything (they will be combined before amplified).

The reason your sub has two inputs is in case your receiver does not have a dedicated sub output, then you need to take the left and right channels and put both into the sub so you don’t lose anything that might be in one and not the other.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Do you think or have you guys ever heard of any improvments in S.Q. by not useing Audyssey ? I thought of messing with the freq. adjustments manually to see how that effects it. If I could get it better by boosting low freq. output then I could change
Between Audyssey or manual .Also need to do the crawl test and move the sub around to see if that helps.

Also I will try both subs in the same room when the new one arrives.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

If your receiver has a subwoofer output, I do not think a splitter will make any difference at all. You are basically taking the same exact signal and putting it into both inputs of the sub which doesn't change anything (they will be combined before amplified).

The reason your sub has two inputs is in case your receiver does not have a dedicated sub output, then you need to take the left and right channels and put both into the sub so you don't lose anything that might be in one and not the other.

"Using a y-splitter is just boosting the gain on the unit..."

Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

If your receiver has a subwoofer output, I do not think a splitter will make any difference at all. You are basically taking the same exact signal and putting it into both inputs of the sub which doesn't change anything (they will be combined before amplified).

The reason your sub has two inputs is in case your receiver does not have a dedicated sub output, then you need to take the left and right channels and put both into the sub so you don't lose anything that might be in one and not the other.

This has been discussed before, but if the sub pre-amp is summing the signals it does have an effect.

Quote:

It's boosting the input level, and although the result may be the same it's a little different from just turning up the gain. Small differences which might not matter to most folks, and results will depend on the over-all relative gain for the entire chain. For example, if you're using just one of 2 inputs and having trouble with the "auto-on" function not responding, a Y-cable might fix that. Of course, adding or removing a Y will require re-calibrating the sub's level.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

I am debating the PL-200, perhaps as a pair, compared to a VTF-2 MK 3. The pair would actually be cheaper shipped than the HSU (walnut, on sale) and have double the drivers and wattage. I'm not a make-you-ears bleed guy, and my living room is not large-- under 2000ft^3. But I love when I "feel" bass. And I'm coming from a Cerwin Vega 12" 150W that by its specs only extended to 32hz, so I know I'm missing notes on certain songs & movies.

Which setup is likely to serve me better for tv, netflix, and music, and which would go lower? Would even one PL-200 be a big upgrade from my CV?

(Other equip- Onkyo 707 ordered, JBL S38x4 + center)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
I'd go for the VTF2. Two PL200's might have a bit more output, but it will probably not match the VTF2 for tightness and articulation. I would guess that they wouldn't have the deep tuning that the VTF can have as well. They are certainly two different classes of subwoofer.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM

I've owned such a PA-120 which I assume is similar to the PL-200. The one thing I remember is that it was quite muddy and I boomy. It did alright for the time that I had it; especially when money was tight. I was seriously considering getting another PA-120 but realized that all I would have is that same muddy bass note but louder. I ended up saving a bit more and getting the VTF-3 MK3 that I got used. Since then, I've been very happy. I had no idea what I was missing. I didn't know what they meant by clean, tight, and accurate bass. So, I would suggest you do either the VTF-2 or VTF-3.

Edit: I'll say, however, that the output and the quality of the PA-120 for the price point was really awesome. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of it. A great start to a home theater on a budget, but I think it should be limited to someone who wants to spend a very little amount to get started. But when you're talking about getting two of them, then the price point justification goes out the window.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtrance View Post

i've owned such a pa-120 which i assume is similar to the pl-200. The one thing i remember is that it was quite muddy and i boomy. It did alright for the time that i had it; especially when money was tight. I was seriously considering getting another pa-120 but realized that all i would have is that same muddy bass note but louder. I ended up saving a bit more and getting the vtf-3 mk3 that i got used. Since then, i've been very happy. I had no idea what i was missing. I didn't know what they meant by clean, tight, and accurate bass. So, i would suggest you do either the vtf-2 or vtf-3.

+1

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM

I bought my 707 3 days ago, and just ordered my STF-1. My first real HT setup. I am excited, I wonder how much of a upgrade the sub is compared to my HTiB Yamaha 40w muddy sub. How long does HSU take to deliver thru FedEx? 1 week?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 AM

so I just got my STF-1, and it is awesome. I am worried about the on/off/auto switch though, it looks fragile. It's a little tiny piece of metal. I am worried that it may break off if i keep switching it. could someone reassure me that it's perfectly sturdy and it won't break off?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 AM

I would personally leave it in the "on" position.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
You can safely leave it on the "on" or "auto" position, because when the amp is not being used (ie no signal is being played back), it is the nearly same as if it were on the "off" position.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 AM

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to Hsu on having great customer support. I had an issue with my new vtf-1 and they walked me through takeing the amp and driver out and reinstalling it .It works great now.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks, I'll probably leave it on on/auto. I have it connected to a surge protector outlet, so would it be bad if I leave the sub switch on, but turn off the outlet? I am thinking it might be bad for the amp if I leave it on and turn off the surge protector outlet.

I am very happy with my STF-1. I have a small 11x12 room and it is more than enough. I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with max volume on the sub, and every bullet I shot, I could feel the bass hitting my chest. It almost felt like I was firing a real weapon. Especially shooting that grenade launcher. It thumped my whole room and my hit my body, but it was a very very clean and tight thump, not boomy at all.

Sorry, I just upgraded from a Yamaha HTiB Sub and was previously using a Logitech Z-2300 and this is my real first subwoofer so I am excited and wanted to share my experience. I made the right decision to go for HSU. It was either HSU or eD and I do not regret my decision at all, granted I didn't hear the eD, but I am extremely satisfied.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

...I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with max volume on the sub...

If you're concerned about the longevity of your new sub, you might consider adjusting the gain lower.

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Yeah, I was just testing it's power. I normally leave it at 45%. But thanks for the warning, it is tempting to set it higher.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

Yeah, I was just testing it's power. I normally leave it at 45%. But thanks for the warning, it is tempting to set it higher.

What type of receiver are you using with this sub and what are your settings like? Have you run the auto calibration? What are the levels? Did you set the speakers to small?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Onkyo TX-SR707. All speakers are crossed at 80hz and the sub is at -5db to 0db.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt