post #3061 of 6497 Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

...I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with max volume on the sub...

If you're concerned about the longevity of your new sub, you might consider adjusting the gain lower.

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 6497 Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I was just testing it's power. I normally leave it at 45%. But thanks for the warning, it is tempting to set it higher.
post #3063 of 6497 Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

Yeah, I was just testing it's power. I normally leave it at 45%. But thanks for the warning, it is tempting to set it higher.

What type of receiver are you using with this sub and what are your settings like? Have you run the auto calibration? What are the levels? Did you set the speakers to small?
post #3064 of 6497 Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Onkyo TX-SR707. All speakers are crossed at 80hz and the sub is at -5db to 0db.
post #3065 of 6497 Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
O.K. So I pulled the trigger on a STF-2 and it should be here on Monday!! Just a couple of questions about setup so I can get this baby rockin. I recently purchased an Onkyo 608 reciever (which I love) that has the Audyassy 2 setup mic. I am running a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers rated to 52HZ and a center rated to 60hz. Should I set the subwoofer crossover to off and set the sub volume at twelve o'clock and let the setup mic take care of the rest? Or start at a lower volume on the sub and see what correction factor the amp sets it at? Also where do I set the phase and what exactly does this control do? This will be my first decent quality sub and any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #3066 of 6497 Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM

^^^

- Congrats!
- Yes, you should turn off the subwoofer's crossover and let the receiver do the work.
- Set the sub to 1/4 of the way from the lowest setting.
- Make sure that the other speakers are set to small.
- The receiver's auto setting is a general guideline. To get the best out of it, you should look into a sound level meter and a good test tone CD to calibrate all the channels.
- Make sure that you play with the sub's placement and find the best spot for the sub. Try "sub crawling."
- Post pics when you have it set up.
post #3067 of 6497 Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey guys, I have an ULS-15 and I am generally happy with it (about 5 months old), but it bottoms out on occassion and I am not pushing this thing at all. It even happens sometimes when the volume levels are just at casual listening levels. It doesn't seem to happen any more frequently at high listening levels.

I notice it maybe a couple times a week. The Gain is only set at approx. 10 or 11 o'clock. Any ideas?
post #3068 of 6497 Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 View Post

Hey guys, I have an ULS-15 and I am generally happy with it (about 5 months old), but it bottoms out on occassion and I am not pushing this thing at all. It even happens sometimes when the volume levels are just at casual listening levels. It doesn't seem to happen any more frequently at high listening levels.

I notice it maybe a couple times a week. The Gain is only set at approx. 10 or 11 o'clock. Any ideas?

Need more info.

Please post equipment and settings as well as the size of your room, including open areas to the rest of the house.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #3069 of 6497 Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM
rpr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All settings were derived from running Audyssey (Denon receiver). Nothing has been tweaked up. Room is approx 18 X 18 but also open to the rear. Sub is to the right of and facing the seating area...wall approx. 2 to feet behind it...open on both sides.
post #3070 of 6497 Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post

All settings were derived from running Audyssey (Denon receiver). Nothing has been tweaked up. Room is approx 18 X 18 but also open to the rear. Sub is to the right of and facing the seating area...wall approx. 2 to feet behind it...open on both sides.

OK, thanks.

Have you performed a sub crawl?

Type of connection (wired/wireless)?

Trim level in AVR?

Disable Dynamic EQ?

What is the total cubic feet of your area, including open areas to the rest of the house?

Settings on the back of the ULS-15?

post #3071 of 6497 Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hi rpr,

Please call us or send an email to techsupporthsuresearchcom. We will help you out there.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #3072 of 6497 Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
has anyone calibrated a pioneer elite VSX-55TXI with a VTF2.3? I think its the receiver I am having problems with as I can barely get any output from the sub.

I am not used to pioneer elite receivers (especially older ones like my dads) so maybe I am missing something.

Also could be the fact that I am used to my two VTF3.3's and not used to the 2.3 but it just doesn't seem to put out much bass at all. Even compared to his old HTIB sub from Boston Acoustics.

Any help is appreciated.
post #3073 of 6497 Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I have an bit older Pioneer, the VSX-47TX, there are a lot of settings which can limit or kill sub output. First of all, was any receiver settings changed when the new sub was hooked up? Is the sub in the same place as the Boston Acoustics sub? Is there any output at all coming from the VTF?
post #3074 of 6497 Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I have an bit older Pioneer, the VSX-47TX, there are a lot of settings which can limit or kill sub output. First of all, was any receiver settings changed when the new sub was hooked up? Is the sub in the same place as the Boston Acoustics sub? Is there any output at all coming from the VTF?

same place as older sub. I ran the calibration and during the calibration i seem to get output. But once I tried some material it barely puts anything out. I didn't have the time to try to use the cross over on the sub. I was just trying to use the receiver as the cross over but I dont think that the pioneer has one for the sub out. Ill have to look more closely.
post #3075 of 6497 Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I have found in my Pioneer receiver that there are many instances whee if you change the crossover point in 1 channel, it automatically turns off the subout, as if all the speakers were set to large. You have to be sure all speakers are set to small, and that the crossover points reflects that. I may be wrong though, because my receiver is not exactly the same as yours. Also look where MCACC has set the sub level setting, it might have set it at a very low level.
post #3076 of 6497 Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Dalumberjack,

Does that Pioneer receiver have a setting for LFE Attenuation? Make sure that LFE ATT is set to 0dB. Also make sure that the main speakers are not set to Large/Full Band, and make sure that the subwoofer crossover switch is set to 'Out'.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #3077 of 6497 Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be at my dads tomorrow so I will mess with it and post my results.

Thanks for chimming in Pete. It's always appreciated and its awesome how you take the time to come on here and answer customer questions.
post #3078 of 6497 Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

Thanks for the replies. I will be at my dads tomorrow so I will mess with it and post my results.

Thanks for chimming in Pete. It's always appreciated and its awesome how you take the time to come on here and answer customer questions.

I have a Pioneer VSX92TXH and I found through the suggestion of Pete from HSU to dial in the volume at about 9:00 and then do a MCACC...get the volume on the sub to read 0.0db in the channel level phase or MCACC...once you play with the volume and get it to 0.0db, leave it there and let the Pioneer handle what's needed. Make sure your crossover is set to 80hz on the receiver and Out on sub.
LFE ATT at O...you should be good to go!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #3079 of 6497 Old 08-27-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a question...I have been noticing suggestions on sub risers and was wondering if they would be okay to apply them to my VTF2-MKIII's? I never thought about if the distance from the driver to the floor mattered wih down firing subs.
I could make a nice set out of some wood I have from the legs of a old kitchen table.
Any wisdom on this one>

post #3080 of 6497 Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM

I forgot I had my VTF3 MK3 sub set to 25Hz on the back and I moved it back over to 18Hz and instantly could tell a difference in my room. Thanks Dr. HSU! I am going to be getting some bass traps as the next step for my room to even things out a bit. And then to even things more I am thinking about a second VTF3 MK3 or maybe an MBM but I just want to smooth things out. Hello to all you crazy HSU owners!!
post #3081 of 6497 Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notChris View Post

I forgot I had my VTF3 MK3 sub set to 25Hz on the back and I moved it back over to 18Hz and instantly could tell a difference in my room. Thanks Dr. HSU! I am going to be getting some bass traps as the next step for my room to even things out a bit. And then to even things more I am thinking about a second VTF3 MK3 or maybe an MBM but I just want to smooth things out. Hello to all you crazy HSU owners!!

That's that 18Hz low hit. Stupid question, but you DID plug one of the ports, right?
post #3082 of 6497 Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post

That's that 18Hz low hit. Stupid question, but you DID plug one of the ports, right?

You know it brother!
post #3083 of 6497 Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

I got a question...I have been noticing suggestions on sub risers and was wondering if they would be okay to apply them to my VTF2-MKIII's? I never thought about if the distance from the driver to the floor mattered wih down firing subs.
I could make a nice set out of some wood I have from the legs of a old kitchen table.
Any wisdom on this one>

Where did everyone goooo? Any ideas on this guys?

post #3084 of 6497 Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

Any wisdom on this one>

Sub risers are engineered to de-couple the sub from the floor to eliminate bass from shaking the floor. If you just attach legs to the sub it will raise the sub farther off the floor but the sub will still be coupled to the floor and will not tighten up the bass which is the goal of sub risers and might also make the sub less stable. IMHO.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #3085 of 6497 Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Sub risers are engineered to de-couple the sub from the floor to eliminate bass from shaking the floor. If you just attach legs to the sub it will raise the sub farther off the floor but the sub will still be coupled to the floor and will not tighten up the bass which is the goal of sub risers and might also make the sub less stable. IMHO.

Ahhhh, a response! Thanks geek...I guess I won't use them! After you told me that and I sat and looked at the Subs I could picture that...

post #3086 of 6497 Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM

I just bought a vtf 1 pairing with monitor audio radius r90 in front. These are small speakers that just go down to 85hz. I have a new denon that I am going to let do the bass management instead of sub. So I will disable sub crossover. My question/concern is that the sub's internal crossover only goes to 90hz, but my denon sets crossover by 20 at a time (I can choose 80 or 100). 80 is no good because the r90 won't go down that low. I am worried about 100 if the Hsu can't handle between 90 and 100hz. On the hsu website I only see lower frequency response but can someone confirm if it can handle up to 100hz.

post #3087 of 6497 Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM

will answer my own post as it was already answered by Dr. Hsu on the Hsu company forum. The upper frequency response is up to 200hz so i can easily set my crossover at 100 or 120
post #3088 of 6497 Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

WEll after many attempts, I can barely get any output for the sub with my fathers receiver. As soon as I hooked it up to mine, it came to life.

But he is upgrading everything in his tv room so soon he will have a new receiver that wont be a problem.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
post #3089 of 6497 Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update Dalumberjack, good to know that the subwoofer is working fine!

Pete - Hsu Research
post #3090 of 6497 Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
About to order a VTF2 MK3 and am pleasantly surprised if this is the same pete hsu i was corresponding through email with the last couple days.

What i have been informed of today by a friend is that to find the sub 'sweet spot', put the sub where you are going to be mainly sitting and walk around the room and find the area where you hear the best deepest bass or best sound from your sub and place your sub there.

I havent tried it yet but an going to in the next couple days and see if this theory is true.......
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page