***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4141 of 6305 Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Legiarre, the guy who sold the HO had never used it. And the guy reselling it has only had it for two weeks now. Anyway, buyer beware.

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 6305 Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Liked: 10
Hello

I have HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub and I am really happy with its performance, however I have issue with windows. There are three windows at my living room and when things get boomy at movies, windows start shaking and keep doing so for few seconds. I feel this is Amazing especially when my sofa start to shake, but wife don't share the same feeling. What is the solution to reduce windows shaking at my living room?

Thanks in advance
post #4143 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Yes, a good VTF sub will reveal anything not secured. The door to my laundry room and most of he glass ware in my bar are on glass shelves, so that made quite a din!

As far as your windows, I would want to make sure they were structurally sound, and not being damaged. I don't know if you live in a cold weather climate, or the age of the windows. Maybe weather stripping, or placing something on the window to stop the resonance of the vibration.

I'm just guessing. It sounds like a great question for the fine support staff at HSU.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #4144 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

Yes, a good VTF sub will reveal anything not secured. The door to my laundry room and most of he glass ware in my bar are on glass shelves, so that made quite a din!

As far as your windows, I would want to make sure they were structurally sound, and not being damaged. I don't know if you live in a cold weather climate, or the age of the windows. Maybe weather stripping, or placing something on the window to stop the resonance of the vibration.

I'm just guessing. It sounds like a great question for the fine support staff at HSU.

Thanks for your kind reply. Indeed VTF can make a lot of noise, for example, at Inception Movie; the amount of bass generated at the scene where the white van fall into water was ground shaking and windows were vibrating noticeably, which created uncomfortable feeling.

I live at worm weather climate country; UAE; so the glass condition has no issue; in addition the glass are quite heavy and well maintained. I can't place anything on my windows because my wife won't allow it.
post #4145 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovlatinMusic View Post

Thanks for your kind reply. Indeed VTF can make a lot of noise, for example, at Inception Movie; the amount of bass generated at the scene where the white van fall into water was ground shaking and windows were vibrating noticeably, which created uncomfortable feeling.

I live at worm weather climate country; UAE; so the glass condition has no issue; in addition the glass are quite heavy and well maintained. I can't place anything on my windows because my wife won't allow it.

Are you running your sub with 1 or 2 ports open? I find that 2 open will rattle my walls much more.
post #4146 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Hello

I have HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub and I am really happy with its performance, however I have issue with windows. There are three windows at my living room and when things get boomy at movies, windows start shaking and keep doing so for few seconds. I feel this is Amazing especially when my sofa start to shake, but wife don't share the same feeling. What is the solution to reduce windows shaking at my living room?

Thanks in advance

What type of floor is your sub installed on?
post #4147 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Liked: 17
I had the same problem...run a search for DIY Bass isolators. Through Audessy on my Denon 2112 i found out i was running my sub waaaay to hot.
Now, i still get the tactile feel but i can hear much more mid bass and my music and movies are 100% better by having Audessy dial down my sub by
8 decibles!
I love loud bass...but if it is too much you loose alot of information from all of your other speakers.

matrixj
post #4148 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Hello

Thanks in advance

What would help some is to decouple the sub from the floor.
post #4149 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

Legiarre, the guy who sold the HO had never used it. And the guy reselling it has only had it for two weeks now. Anyway, buyer beware.

How can you be sure? Are you the guy selling it?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #4150 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello

Thanks in advance

Dap window sealer will secure the glass to the wood frame and then weatherstripping will keep the window frame from shaking. Decouplers are not going to stop ULF frequencies from shaking a loose window.
post #4151 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

How can you be sure? Are you the guy selling it?

Please try to keep up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20896642

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #4152 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM

So... much shorter post tonight.

Many more tunes have been pushed through the system with the new VTF-3 MK4, and I think it's definitely dialed in. Still sounds rock solid no matter what I've thrown against it regardless of genre or listening level. The linear fashion this thing performs in as volume is turned up or down is just astounding so far.

We've also thrown three flicks at it this weekend: How to Train Your Dragon, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended. Movie performance has been just as jaw-dropping as the music performance. No changes to any settings needed. Slams and rumbles like a champ, honestly... it's made the soundfield seem bigger. Combined with the psycho-acoustic and localization techniques used in the movie mixes with the LFE output routed to the sub, the transients and rumbles have width and height to them, regardless of how low they went.

Oh and lastly... and this is kind of hilarious. I'd no idea HGTV had so much low bass on House Hunters International. Just riotous.
post #4153 of 6305 Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleric View Post
We've also thrown three flicks at it this weekend: How to Train Your Dragon, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended. Movie performance has been just as jaw-dropping as the music performance...
Don't forget to throw Tron Legacy back in there and re-watch the action scenes. I recommend starting the moving right when he transports into the computer through the disc games. Just about every type of awesome bass can be heard in those few back-to-back scenes.

And for more bass goodness, check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333462

post #4154 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Don't forget to throw Tron Legacy back in there and re-watch the action scenes. I recommend starting the moving right when he transports into the computer through the disc games. Just about every type of awesome bass can be heard in those few back-to-back scenes.

It was a visitor from Netflix. I'll have to wait until I can catch it at RedBox around here or get it from Netflix again here in a few weeks (got some other things to see first).

Quote:

And for more bass goodness, check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333462

Oh, I know all about that thread.
post #4155 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Don't forget to throw Tron Legacy back in there and re-watch the action scenes.

Oh man, Tron has really nice bass. I thought it was an ok movie in the theater. But, I watched it again a couple weeks ago on blu ray (mostly due to people here saying it's got good bass), and I kid you not I was grinning ear to ear the whole movie! Not just loud bass, but low bass, and good bass. It just worked and sounded so nice! And this was only on a 2.1 setup. Got my center since, and my 2 rears this week

To put things in perspective, I also watched Cloverfield and Battle L.A. recently and I think Tron impacted me the most (overall). All three are pretty insane, though

This was me the entire time:
post #4156 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
X-Men: First Class has just come out on BD. Not only is it a fine film generally, its LFE is out of this world. Highly, highly recommended for all Hus owners.
post #4157 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM

So up on youtube there's a few HSU sub offerings, but very few of the VTF-3 regardless of MK. Anyway, for giggles when I got home I took this with my DSLR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPMyzOODnE

Final descending sequence from the fugue of Toccata and Fugue in D minor off of Bachbusters.
post #4158 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post

Are you running your sub with 1 or 2 ports open? I find that 2 open will rattle my walls much more.

I haven't tried running single port, but as i understand from the manual the Sub shall run lauded if I run it with single port.
post #4159 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

What type of floor is your sub installed on?

Granite floor
post #4160 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

I had the same problem...run a search for DIY Bass isolators. Through Audessy on my Denon 2112 i found out i was running my sub waaaay to hot.
Now, i still get the tactile feel but i can hear much more mid bass and my music and movies are 100% better by having Audessy dial down my sub by
8 decibles!
I love loud bass...but if it is too much you loose alot of information from all of your other speakers.

I agree with you. My AVR, reduced the Sub level by 12, in Audessy auto setup; however I don't think that is logic; since the Sub go off if it set below -12 in Audessy; I increased the level by 3 and I feel it is more than required. My living room is big, so the room size is not an issue. My sweet spot is about 10 feet from the TV.

Loud bass is great, but when I start to miss more details, it becomes really annoying with a lot of distraction
post #4161 of 6305 Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Dap window sealer will secure the glass to the wood frame and then weatherstripping will keep the window frame from shaking. Decouplers are not going to stop ULF frequencies from shaking a loose window.

I shall look into this, because I want to stop windows from ruining my entertainment especially when volume go loud above reference level
post #4162 of 6305 Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I haven't tried running single port, but as i understand from the manual the Sub shall run lauded if I run it with single port.

Sorry -- I'm not sure I understand.

1 port open and flipping the corresponding setting on the amp will give you deeper bass extension. 2 ports open will provide the most output and headroom.

Quote:

I agree with you. My AVR, reduced the Sub level by 12, in Audessy auto setup; however I don't think that is logic; since the Sub go off if it set below -12 in Audessy; I increased the level by 3 and I feel it is more than required. My living room is big, so the room size is not an issue. My sweet spot is about 10 feet from the TV.

Loud bass is great, but when I start to miss more details, it becomes really annoying with a lot of distraction

What position do you have the gain set on the sub? I'm guessing it is too high based on the level on your AVR (-12).

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #4163 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Dang, my STF2 amp is done. It works for 5 minutes... then its dead.

So I need a replacement amp. I see Partsexpress has the Bash 300W digital amp onsale. Does anyone have the dimensions of the STF-2 amplifier?

The amp I am looking at is
11" W x 7" H x 3-1/2" D. Cutout: 10" x 6-1/4".
post #4164 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

Dang, my STF2 amp is done. It works for 5 minutes... then its dead.

So I need a replacement amp. I see Partsexpress has the Bash 300W digital amp onsale. Does anyone have the dimensions of the STF-2 amplifier?

The amp I am looking at is
11" W x 7" H x 3-1/2" D. Cutout: 10" x 6-1/4".

I highly suggest going through HSU to get a new amp since the sub is tuned to that specific amp. Also they will most likely give you a good deal as a repeat customer.
post #4165 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

i highly suggest going through hsu to get a new amp since the sub is tuned to that specific amp. Also they will most likely give you a good deal as a repeat customer.

+1

Cacimar Hernandez
post #4166 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I highly suggest going through HSU to get a new amp since the sub is tuned to that specific amp. Also they will most likely give you a good deal as a repeat customer.

I called HSU, the Amp price was not that good. The one from Parts express is 50% more powerful for 66% the cost of the HSU amp.
post #4167 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Liked: 19
Just joined the HSU owner's family. Got jbug's VTF2 MK3 (thanks jbug!). Thing is, Im in an apt now, but bought a house a couple of weeks ago and we arent moved in yet, so had the sub delivered to a friend's house for now. I didnt want to risk my temptation "testing it" in my apartment lol.

He currently has a VTF15H, and I'll be going over tomorrow night to test mine out...then we're going to hook both of them up and see what happens lol. We've got a bunch of test music and DTS movies to try...should be fun!
post #4168 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Just joined the HSU owner's family. Got jbug's VTF2 MK3 (thanks jbug!). Thing is, Im in an apt now, but bought a house a couple of weeks ago and we arent moved in yet, so had the sub delivered to a friend's house for now. I didnt want to risk my temptation "testing it" in my apartment lol.

He currently has a VTF15H, and I'll be going over tomorrow night to test mine out...then we're going to hook both of them up and see what happens lol. We've got a bunch of test music and DTS movies to try...should be fun!

If you moving out who cares if you piss people off
post #4169 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

If you moving out who cares if you piss people off

Because although we'll be moving in a couple of weeks, I have to pay rent through the end of Nov. I dont want the apt evicting me then hitting me with broken lease
post #4170 of 6305 Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Because although we'll be moving in a couple of weeks, I have to pay rent through the end of Nov. I dont want the apt evicting me then hitting me with broken lease

Is your lease up nov. 30th officially or are they doing you a favor?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page