***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 171 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5101 of 6515 Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aside from room eq, the single biggest feature I like in Audyssey is the dynamic eq. Much of my listening is done with the family asleep. Having full bass at lower volumes is great!

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5102 of 6515 Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Re: Audyssey and other auto RoomEQ(s).

I could spend countless hours randomly trying various speakers in my room, hoping that at least one random pair of speakers will have a complementary freq response for the environment. Then I could either a) spend hours/days/years randomly adding acoustic treatments to the room until I get it sounding "right" or b) spend hours/days/years with something like REW while adding acoustic treatments until I get it to measure "right" and sound "right" ... or I could:

Pick a pair of speakers that has a neutral anechoic response and an impedance/sensitivity profile that matches well with my amplifier/AVR, then spend 15-20 minutes or so letting "Audyssey" do it's thing ... pop the corn, pop the top, pop in a BD and enjoy the movie ...

Which is a long way of saying, I think it might be a mistake to dismiss MultiEQ-XT ... It's probably not anywhere near perfect, but it I think does a lot better job than most Joe6Packs (or even self-proclaimed "audiophiles"/enthusiasts will be able to do on their own.)

PS: My VTF 3.3 (foolishly didn't get the turbo when I had the chance) is still shaking the foundations. After watching "The Pacific" last year, I'm afraid of it.

I thought endless tweaking is what audiophiles and videophiles live for! You want to take away the fun??
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5103 of 6515 Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

I thought endless tweaking is what audiophiles and videophiles live for! You want to take away the fun??

Hear Hear Sir Dr.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #5104 of 6515 Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sputter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hear Hear Sir Dr.

I've been over a year with my duals tweaking.
sputter1 is offline  
post #5105 of 6515 Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Luis Gabriel Gerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 2,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

I've been over a year with my duals tweaking.

I think all tweakers go through this..is my main hobby..more than actually watching the movies
Tweak for months...then enjoy for months..then once again get the tweaking bug...

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Luis Gabriel Gerena is offline  
post #5106 of 6515 Old 04-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Newbie
 
golf7200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here. First post. Like to give a Shout Out and big Thank You! to the incredibly knowledgeable members who provide valuable info. I retired in January and several times per week I've read very helpful info in avsforum>subwoofer. I'm very thankful so many are willing to give time to helping others. Also, it's impressive Pete and Dr. Hsu are so plugged into the forum.

Last week I ordered and earlier this week I installed the HSU VFT-15. Amazing! In Awe!

After a month or so, I'll post my experience in terms that may help others in choosing a sub.
golf7200 is offline  
post #5107 of 6515 Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf7200 View Post

Newbie here. First post. Like to give a Shout Out and big Thank You! to the incredibly knowledgeable members who provide valuable info. I retired in January and several times per week I've read very helpful info in avsforum>subwoofer. I'm very thankful so many are willing to give time to helping others. Also, it's impressive Pete and Dr. Hsu are so plugged into the forum.

Last week I ordered and earlier this week I installed the HSU VFT-15. Amazing! In Awe!

After a month or so, I'll post my experience in terms that may help others in choosing a sub.

Congratulations. If you have not watched the movie "War Horse" give it a spin

The horses sound like they are coming right at you....

Enjoy your retirement
ack_bk is offline  
post #5108 of 6515 Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf7200 View Post

Newbie here. First post. Like to give a Shout Out and big Thank You! to the incredibly knowledgeable members who provide valuable info. I retired in January and several times per week I've read very helpful info in avsforum>subwoofer. I'm very thankful so many are willing to give time to helping others. Also, it's impressive Pete and Dr. Hsu are so plugged into the forum.

Last week I ordered and earlier this week I installed the HSU VFT-15. Amazing! In Awe!

After a month or so, I'll post my experience in terms that may help others in choosing a sub.

Thank you for becoming part of the Hsu family! We are here to take care of you.
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5109 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
russ_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would like to know if anyone has experience pairing this sub with a Paradigm Servo 15. There's nothing wrong with my Servo, but I am getting the itch for a 2nd sub. I can get a new VTF 15 for not much more than a used Servo, thus my interest.
russ_777 is offline  
post #5110 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Member
 
rwe416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got everything hooked up and running and all I can say about my VTF15 is
I am still trying different settings but so far my favorite is one port open and EQ1 and Q.7 is what sounds good for music and tv without making adjustments. The biggest difference for me is how the bass hits then is gone. My last sub would hit but would have a long boominess sound that followed,if that makes sense. I feel as though I have found the right location for the sub. The bass sounds like it is coming from the other speakers. I turned off the sub to check and the bass was gone. It seems to just blend in and can not tell where it is coming from.
Thanks to everyone for the help and recommendation.
By the way,the wife really likes it and says she is happy that we bought a good one this time and will not need an upgrade for a long time. If we are able to find a house that has a room to build a HT,she has mentioned buying another one. Man I love my wife!!!!!!!!
rwe416 is offline  
post #5111 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

Finally got everything hooked up and running and all I can say about my VTF15 is
I am still trying different settings but so far my favorite is one port open and EQ1 and Q.7 is what sounds good for music and tv without making adjustments. The biggest difference for me is how the bass hits then is gone. My last sub would hit but would have a long boominess sound that followed,if that makes sense. I feel as though I have found the right location for the sub. The bass sounds like it is coming from the other speakers. I turned off the sub to check and the bass was gone. It seems to just blend in and can not tell where it is coming from.
Thanks to everyone for the help and recommendation.
By the way,the wife really likes it and says she is happy that we bought a good one this time and will not need an upgrade for a long time. If we are able to find a house that has a room to build a HT,she has mentioned buying another one. Man I love my wife!!!!!!!!

Congratulations you have found what the rest of us owners found deep clean bass at a reasonable cost in a good looking cabinet.
oztech is offline  
post #5112 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Member
 
rwe416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have yet to watch a BD movie, but when I do, is there a setting that is better than what I have it set at now? Would both ports open be better?
rwe416 is offline  
post #5113 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

I have yet to watch a BD movie, but when I do, is there a setting that is better than what I have it set at now? Would both ports open be better?

I watched U571 with both ports open EQ2 and Q=.3 and it was an experience needless to say .
oztech is offline  
post #5114 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Member
 
rwe416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks I will give that a try.
rwe416 is offline  
post #5115 of 6515 Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

Finally got everything hooked up and running and all I can say about my VTF15 is
I am still trying different settings but so far my favorite is one port open and EQ1 and Q.7 is what sounds good for music and tv without making adjustments. The biggest difference for me is how the bass hits then is gone. My last sub would hit but would have a long boominess sound that followed,if that makes sense. I feel as though I have found the right location for the sub. The bass sounds like it is coming from the other speakers. I turned off the sub to check and the bass was gone. It seems to just blend in and can not tell where it is coming from.
Thanks to everyone for the help and recommendation.
By the way,the wife really likes it and says she is happy that we bought a good one this time and will not need an upgrade for a long time. If we are able to find a house that has a room to build a HT,she has mentioned buying another one. Man I love my wife!!!!!!!!

Glad you and your wife love the sub! Wow! Your wife is worth her weight in gold!
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5116 of 6515 Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Member
 
gerald410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I watched U571 with both ports open EQ2 and Q=.3 and it was an experience needless to say .

I actually have that blu-ray, I'm afraid of what it would sound like lol. The subwoofer is absolutely amazing!. I watched Thor the other night and it was quite enjoyable with plenty of taunt deep bass
gerald410 is offline  
post #5117 of 6515 Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald410 View Post

I actually have that blu-ray, I'm afraid of what it would sound like lol. The subwoofer is absolutely amazing!. I watched Thor the other night and it was quite enjoyable with plenty of taunt deep bass

The depth charges are over the top.
oztech is offline  
post #5118 of 6515 Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,161
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

The depth charges are over the top.

I'm sure that's what the u-boat crews in WWII thought as well.
shadyJ is online now  
post #5119 of 6515 Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
 
coolguy949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Hey doc, I like the new pics at the Hsu website- this is one beastly looking setup!

Nice! Almost exactly the same setup I have, except I have a VTF3-HO.
coolguy949 is offline  
post #5120 of 6515 Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy949 View Post

Nice! Almost exactly the same setup I have, except I have a VTF3-HO.

Thanks!
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5121 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Alleric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got hold of WotW yesterday on blu-ray. I didn't get home until late, and was spending most of my little-bit-of-time hooking up my new blu-ray player, so I only got to do a quick demo, and not at full movie-watching volume.

Bloody hell.

The pod emergence scene is a sound to behold. Or not a sound. Heck, I dunno how to even discribe it. The VTF-3.4 pretty much tried to walk off with the couch.

I'm going to fiddle with it tonight when I get home some more, but hello new go-to demo disc.
Alleric is offline  
post #5122 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleric View Post

So I finally got hold of WotW yesterday on blu-ray. I didn't get home until late, and was spending most of my little-bit-of-time hooking up my new blu-ray player, so I only got to do a quick demo, and not at full movie-watching volume.

Bloody hell.

The pod emergence scene is a sound to behold. Or not a sound. Heck, I dunno how to even discribe it. The VTF-3.4 pretty much tried to walk off with the couch.

I'm going to fiddle with it tonight when I get home some more, but hello new go-to demo disc.

You made a good choice. War of the Worlds is on my shortlist for all time best LFE.
gwsat is offline  
post #5123 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Luis Gabriel Gerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 2,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
oh yeah , for Sounds how can you go wrong with that one. Deep low bass and plenty of chest hitting one too...just lovely

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Luis Gabriel Gerena is offline  
post #5124 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Alleric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seriously almost made me jump, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to low and loud. Thunderbirds were in town this past weekend for an air show, and last week they were running drills over town. One of them went supersonic (illegally) over town, and right over our office building. I was in a meeting at the time and I was the only person in the room that didn't jump when it hit. I grew up within distance of Whiteman AFB, and in the 70's, walls quaking to sonic booms happened daily.

But this snuck up on me and startled me. I've ran boatloads of super-low material through this sub, but nothing has gone that tactile before. I've some organ material that puts a slight rumble into things, but this flat-out woke my wife up because the couch was literally quaking.

I love this sub. It's a total giggle factory.
Alleric is offline  
post #5125 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleric View Post

It seriously almost made me jump, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to low and loud. Thunderbirds were in town this past weekend for an air show, and last week they were running drills over town. One of them went supersonic (illegally) over town, and right over our office building. I was in a meeting at the time and I was the only person in the room that didn't jump when it hit. I grew up within distance of Whiteman AFB, and in the 70's, walls quaking to sonic booms happened daily.

But this snuck up on me and startled me. I've ran boatloads of super-low material through this sub, but nothing has gone that tactile before. I've some organ material that puts a slight rumble into things, but this flat-out woke my wife up because the couch was literally quaking.

I love this sub. It's a total giggle factory.

The Haunting (1999) in DTS is another one of my favorite demo disc.
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5126 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

The Haunting (1999) in DTS is another one of my favorite demo disc.

Yes Sir, I have that DVD.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #5127 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Alleric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll just have to get it off of Netflix at some point. Not looking to expand my DVD collection at this time.

Not-so-patiently waiting to get home tonight so I can put the spurs to things with that scene again. Maybe I'll add a new video to my previous one up on youtube. heh.
Alleric is offline  
post #5128 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Member
 
GiTcHaSuM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post


The Haunting (1999) in DTS is another one of my favorite demo disc.

dr. hsu,
I have a question for you sir. I have been researching for a new sub for a few weeks and it looks like I will be getting the vtf3-mk4. My room is 10.5' X 15' X 8' and where the right wall would be, there is a solid banister/railing and an opening that leads to the living/dining room below, the 'loft' area of a typical upstairs house. My question is would the vtf3 mk4 be enough to accommodate the room given that there is a sizable opening to the downstairs area? I certainly do not want to buy that particular sub and later wish I had gotten something with a little bit more kick to it. Thanks.
GiTcHaSuM is offline  
post #5129 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
dr_hsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post

dr. hsu,
I have a question for you sir. I have been researching for a new sub for a few weeks and it looks like I will be getting the vtf3-mk4. My room is 10.5' X 15' X 8' and where the right wall would be, there is a solid banister/railing and an opening that leads to the living/dining room below, the 'loft' area of a typical upstairs house. My question is would the vtf3 mk4 be enough to accommodate the room given that there is a sizable opening to the downstairs area? I certainly do not want to buy that particular sub and later wish I had gotten something with a little bit more kick to it. Thanks.

Can you post a detailed drawing of your room? How large is the dining/living room downstairs? Front to back is 15 ft, and 10.5 ft wide? How far do you sit from the TV wall? If the 15H is within your budget, safer to go for that. The sub will be energizing the whole space downstairs as well.
dr_hsu is offline  
post #5130 of 6515 Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pronghorn/az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My system is pretty much set in it's placement. Does it matter (with the VTF3-MK4) if the subs speaker is or would be firing partially into the side of my Paradigm M-9's and partially into the was which is about 32" from the wall? Will this affect the sound any?

Jeff
pronghorn/az is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off