***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #5221 of 6703 Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

I have a new HSU VTF-3 MK4. We have only used it a few times. The other night we were watching a movie. I had it turned up to about 72. Not loud at all. Before I had the sub most of the time we had it at 82. There was a few scenes that had a deep low base....... The sub popped and cracked a few times. I turned it down but it surprised me..... Is this bad? Was the speaker damaged? Did I have it too loud?

Can you post your room layout? Include adjoining room details if linked via permanent openings. Include dimensions. Indicate where you sit, and where you can place the subwoofer. As sputter had asked, what mode have you set the subwoofer to, did you use your receiver's room EQ, which receiver are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 6703 Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That did the trick thanks! I sounds great.

I still think I may upgrade to the VTF -3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

I had the volume set to much lower than 9 o'clock when I was over. I would suggest doing the subwoofer crawl to determine where best to place the subwoofer. I did notice that bass was not very even at your listening position. Deep bass seemed fairly strong (Respighi's Pines of Rome was shaking your room), but more toward the back of your long room. Did you find your Audyssey mic and do an Audyssey run? If you do that, make sure you set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 first.

Soon...pic of my measly setup
post #5223 of 6703 Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was wondering how to go about ordering a VTF-15H since I live in Canada and on the website I have no option for Canada?

Also anyone who ordered a VTF-15H who lives in Canada I was curious on the total price since there are additional charges????

Oh and would it be cheaper to order 2 if I decide compared to separate orders? Not sure yet if I want 2 since it might be overkill! Lol
post #5224 of 6703 Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Was wondering how to go about ordering a VTF-15H since I live in Canada and on the website I have no option for Canada?

Also anyone who ordered a VTF-15H who lives in Canada I was curious on the total price since there are additional charges????

Oh and would it be cheaper to order 2 if I decide compared to separate orders? Not sure yet if I want 2 since it might be overkill! Lol

iirc it's about $200 and don't forget taxes.
post #5225 of 6703 Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the shipping rate may be a lot lower if you order two (under some circumstances when shipping weight/dimensional weight exceeds 155 lbs or something). Best to email sales@hsuresearch.com and get a quote for one versus two.
post #5226 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I just wanted to say that anyone looking for a great quality sub, HSU should on the top of your list. We have had a VTF3mk2 since forever now ( I think 2003-2004). Anyone that comes over to watch a movie (we have front projection setup) is just amazed at the bass. I've had some higher end stuff over the years having been around music for some time ( DJ in my younger years ) but it continues to impress me. She's held up well over the years and in two different homes. I have it matched with Axiom M80 package. I'm also in Canada, we bought our sub from some place in Canada years back, Supertek I think. I don't think they exist anymore?

My only regret is that I don't have more of them! I'd love to upgrade mine now but it's not in the cards (both of us with health issues - long story and bad luck) But honestly, I love my Sub, one of the best audio purchases I've made in my life. Actually, it's rare to have any product these days that you can actually be proud of.
post #5227 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I just wanted to say that anyone looking for a great quality sub, HSU should on the top of your list. We have had a VTF3mk2 since forever now ( I think 2003-2004). Anyone that comes over to watch a movie (we have front projection setup) is just amazed at the bass. I've had some higher end stuff over the years having been around music for some time ( DJ in my younger years ) She's held up well over the years and in two different homes. I have it matched with Axiom M80 package. I'm also in Canada, we bought our sub from some place in Canada years back, Supertek I think. I don't think they exist anymore?

My only regret is that I don't have more of them! I'd love to upgrade mine now but it's not in the cards (both of us with health issues - long story and bad luck) But honestly, I love my Sub, one of the best audio purchases I've made in my life. Actually, it's rare to have any product these days that you can actually be proud of.

Thank you so much for your kind words! Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope things get better.
post #5228 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Thank you so much for your kind words! Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope things get better.

No problem! thanks to you and your crew! keep up the good work.
post #5229 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I want 1 or even 2 VTF-15H's but since I live in Canada the additional charges add up to way too much so sadly I won't be purchasing!! . Almost wish I lived close by or if they had a Canadian distributor!! So sad
post #5230 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I want 1 or even 2 VTF-15H's but since I live in Canada the additional charges add up to way too much so sadly I won't be purchasing!! . Almost wish I lived close by or if they had a Canadian distributor!! So sad

It is very annoying. If you live closer to the border, you can have us send the subwoofer to an address on the US side and driven across the border to pick up the sub. Quite a few Canadian customers have done that.
post #5231 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The way I looked at it was what are the alternatives. SVS and FW are doable but in my opinion even with shipping I was ahead at my price point.

YMMV
post #5232 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah true but forking up like $300 shipping for just 1 VTF-15H plus duties plus taxes plus customs etc.....it adds up fast and its quite a bit! (looking at up to $600 added costs) So wish there was a Canadian distributor or something Want this beast so bad! Oh well I guess I will look else wear here in lonely Canada! haha
post #5233 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah true but forking up like $300 shipping for just 1 VTF-15H plus duties plus taxes plus customs etc.....it adds up fast and its quite a bit! (looking at up to $600 added costs) So wish there was a Canadian distributor or something Want this beast so bad! Oh well I guess I will look else wear here in lonely Canada! haha

Taxes are taxes you pay them no matter. Aside from shipping the rest was only a few dollars. (I don't have my bills handy) Shipping might have increased due to gas prices.

Check out FW, they are out west.
post #5234 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Taxes are taxes you pay them no matter. Aside from shipping the rest was only a few dollars. (I don't have my bills handy) Shipping might have increased due to gas prices.

Check out FW, they are out west.

Yeah true but just shipping alone is quite a bit and the rest is not just a few dollars! It is an added 500-600 which is quite a bit.....more than 50% of the price of the sub.
post #5235 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Any VTF-2 MK4 owners who can comment on their likes/dislikes of this sub? Does it dig low and still have good mid-bass? Any bad port chuffing? I have a 3500 cubic foot room and am looking at the VTF-2 or the PB12-NSD. I like the VTF-2 price more though. I have a Klipsch Sub-12 and it will go deep but it doesn't have good mid-bass and it has too much port chuffing.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #5236 of 6703 Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Any VTF-2 MK4 owners who can comment on their likes/dislikes of this sub? Does it dig low and still have good mid-bass? Any bad port chuffing? I have a 3500 cubic foot room and am looking at the VTF-2 or the PB12-NSD. I like the VTF-2 price more though. I have a Klipsch Sub-12 and it will go deep but it doesn't have good mid-bass and it has too much port chuffing.

I would say that the price and size of the VTF-3 MK4 is closer to the PB-12NSD. Post your room layout including adjoining rooms if linked via permanent openings. I will give you placement recommendations. For similar extension as the other sub, the VTF-3 MK4 has TWO 4" ports open - no port noise.
post #5237 of 6703 Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Can you post your room layout? Include adjoining room details if linked via permanent openings. Include dimensions. Indicate where you sit, and where you can place the subwoofer. As sputter had asked, what mode have you set the subwoofer to, did you use your receiver's room EQ, which receiver are you using?

This is what I have.... Plus the HSU Sub.... Also the room layout is below. It is a rough drawing. I am not an artist... LOL.... If you look at the first row of seats that has a * on it... That is where I sit. Where it states table next to it.... That is where I put the sub.

TX-NR-609 NETWORKED RECEIVER

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP-8020
TOWER SPEAKER WITH 8 INCH SUB

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY CS-8040HD
CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY SURROUND SPEAKER WITH
BUILT IN BACK BOX (2 mounted in the roof)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Not enough information man. What's the subs gain set at? AVR sub trim? Which mode is it in one port, 2 port? EQ setting?

I am pretty new to all of this..... The technician that did my installation set up the sub for me... I have not touched any settings. Can you tell me how to check this and I will let you know. Sorry to sound stupid but I am really new to all of this.... but I am trying to learn. Thanks for the help.
post #5238 of 6703 Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is what I have.... Plus the HSU Sub.... Also the room layout is below. It is a rough drawing. I am not an artist... LOL.... If you look at the first row of seats that has a * on it... That is where I sit. Where it states table next to it.... That is where I put the sub.

TX-NR-609 NETWORKED RECEIVER

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP-8020
TOWER SPEAKER WITH 8 INCH SUB

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY CS-8040HD
CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY SURROUND SPEAKER WITH
BUILT IN BACK BOX (2 mounted in the roof)

I am pretty new to all of this..... The technician that did my installation set up the sub for me... I have not touched any settings. Can you tell me how to check this and I will let you know. Sorry to sound stupid but I am really new to all of this.... but I am trying to learn. Thanks for the help.

Actually a nice sketch! Conveys all the necessary info.

Please take a photo of the back of the subwoofer showing the details of the controls on the amp and the ports. That would tell us a lot about how he setup the sub.

Is the subwoofer placed so the woofer is firing into the side of your chair? That would be best, with about 2" spacing between the woofer and the side of your chair.

Do you know if he ran the Audyssey auto setup?

I suggest doing the following:

Set the subwoofer to 1 port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, crossover out, volume 9 o'clock (1 tick up from min). Place the Audyssey mike at your listening position, ear level. Run Audyssey auto setup.

After Audyssey has done the setup, check the sub out level on the receiver. If it's somewhere between +3 and -3, great. If it's low like -10, or -12, you want to turn down the subwoofer volume (say half way between min and the first tick) and re-run. Aim for sub out level between -3 and +3.

Once you achieve this, set the subwoofer to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. You should not have any popping issues after that.

P.S. - That is a HUGE space for one VTF-3 MK4 to fill! Assuming 8 ft ceiling, its about 7,700 cu.ft. A lot bigger than what we would recommend for one VTF-3 MK4.
post #5239 of 6703 Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You might try an [URL

On the other hand, if the neighbors are complaining every day, the subdude may not be enough to reduce the disturbance.

="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude"]Auralex Subdude[/url], it cushions the subwoofer from the floor which isolates the mechanical vibrations of the sub. It might help the vibrations but it won't help with the sound pressure level, so I wouldn't expect miracles. If money is tight, you might rest the sub on some pillows and see if that helps before shelling out the $ for the subdude itself, just to see if there is any reduction in vibration. If there is, than maybe the subdude is worth it.[/quote]

I have to disconnect it most of tthe time. I may try to get it at least as a solution for my current problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven View Post

Lol move.

LOL ,,,, do u think that can be easily happen? I don't think about it now,,, but I am planning to move to new house next year.

Quote:

Unfortunately no practical solution to stop transmitting the bass to your neighbors. When you want to crank it up, invite them to enjoy the movie with you, or do it when you see them going out.

Thanks Dr Hsu,,I never thought about inviting them to my place ,, but I may find what is their favourite songs or movies and I could have dinner with them in the evening.

I think that will work
post #5240 of 6703 Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovlatinMusic View Post

="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude"]Auralex Subdude[/url], it cushions the subwoofer from the floor which isolates the mechanical vibrations of the sub. It might help the vibrations but it won't help with the sound pressure level, so I wouldn't expect miracles. If money is tight, you might rest the sub on some pillows and see if that helps before shelling out the $ for the subdude itself, just to see if there is any reduction in vibration. If there is, than maybe the subdude is worth it.

I have to disconnect it most of tthe time. I may try to get it at least as a solution for my current problem

LOL ,,,, do u think that can be easily happen? I don't think about it now,,, but I am planning to move to new house next year.

Thanks Dr Hsu,,I never thought about inviting them to my place ,, but I may find what is their favourite songs or movies and I could have dinner with them in the evening.

I think that will work[/quote]

You are most welcome! Bass sounds much better when you are in the room with the mids and highs and pleasant company than dull thumping coming through the wall or floor!
post #5241 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys is it true the VTF-15H does not have a heat sink built into it???? That scares me a little if its true!!!
post #5242 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

There are heat sinks on the inside of the amp, and the whole aluminum plate is also used as a heat sink. Additionally, the amp is extremely efficient, so it does not need to dissipate a lot of heat even at high power. It's quite safe. If it needs an external heat sink, we would have added it.
post #5243 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Actually a nice sketch! Conveys all the necessary info.

Please take a photo of the back of the subwoofer showing the details of the controls on the amp and the ports. That would tell us a lot about how he setup the sub.

Is the subwoofer placed so the woofer is firing into the side of your chair? That would be best, with about 2" spacing between the woofer and the side of your chair.

Do you know if he ran the Audyssey auto setup?

I suggest doing the following:

Set the subwoofer to 1 port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, crossover out, volume 9 o'clock (1 tick up from min). Place the Audyssey mike at your listening position, ear level. Run Audyssey auto setup.

After Audyssey has done the setup, check the sub out level on the receiver. If it's somewhere between +3 and -3, great. If it's low like -10, or -12, you want to turn down the subwoofer volume (say half way between min and the first tick) and re-run. Aim for sub out level between -3 and +3.

Once you achieve this, set the subwoofer to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. You should not have any popping issues after that.

P.S. - That is a HUGE space for one VTF-3 MK4 to fill! Assuming 8 ft ceiling, its about 7,700 cu.ft. A lot bigger than what we would recommend for one VTF-3 MK4.

Here are a few pics of the back of my sub..... I moved the sub around different directions.... But I dont think that is the issue. It is not a rattle. It is the speaker popping.... I hope it is not damaged....

post #5244 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are heat sinks on the inside of the amp, and the whole aluminum plate is also used as a heat sink. Additionally, the amp is extremely efficient, so it does not need to dissipate a lot of heat even at high power. It's quite safe. If it needs an external heat sink, we would have added it.

Oh ok thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.
Got worried after reading an audioholics review on their website
Quote on their website " My only reservation with the product is the amplifier reliability. Without a heatsink, the long term life of this may be a question. Still, with a two year warranty, that gives you plenty of time to pound it and know if if burns up, Hsu Research will honor your warranty. That said, if you expect high outputs and intend to drive the sub like a drunken college student at a frat house party, it might be better for your neighbors if your amp does blow the fuse. "
post #5245 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here are a few pics of the back of my sub..... I moved the sub around different directions.... But I dont think that is the issue. It is not a rattle. It is the speaker popping.... I hope it is not damaged....

Volume is way too high - almost 12 o'clock! Also, crossover should be set to 'out'. EQ should be set to EQ2 (down). Open both ports (you did not take a photo of the ports). Follow the instructions above and see if it's better.
post #5246 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Volume is way too high - almost 12 o'clock! Also, crossover should be set to 'out'. EQ should be set to EQ2 (down). Open both ports (you did not take a photo of the ports). Follow the instructions above and see if it's better.

It also looks like the input cable is too taut which may contribute to the issue.

post #5247 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh ok thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.
Got worried after reading an audioholics review on their website
Quote on their website " My only reservation with the product is the amplifier reliability. Without a heatsink, the long term life of this may be a question. Still, with a two year warranty, that gives you plenty of time to pound it and know if if burns up, Hsu Research will honor your warranty. That said, if you expect high outputs and intend to drive the sub like a drunken college student at a frat house party, it might be better for your neighbors if your amp does blow the fuse. "

Needless to say, we do not agree with what that reviewer said. We know what we are doing. If we have a class AB amp with a regular power supply, yes, no heat sink will be of concern.
post #5248 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Noob question.. why is almost 12 o clock way too high? I apologize for my ignorance, but why does the knob go all the way if almost halfway up is too high? Mine is set to between 10 and 11 o clock depending on what is playing.. I don't want to do any damage!
post #5249 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post

Noob question.. why is almost 12 o clock way too high? I apologize for my ignorance, but why does the knob go all the way if almost halfway up is too high? Mine is set to between 10 and 11 o clock depending on what is playing.. I don't want to do any damage!

Depends on the sub out level as well. We built a lot of gain into the amp so folks with two channel stereo and efficient speakers (Klipschorns, for example, 104 dB/W) will not have trouble matching. If your main speakers are very efficient, and the sub out level on your receiver is not high, you are fine. Also, if you have the sub set to two ports open, EQ2, Q 0.3, the sub can handle higher levels safely.
post #5250 of 6703 Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Just watched Iron Man, for the first time, and my house is still shaking. My VTF-15H never skipped a beat. Had it set at EQ2, Q2 and two ports open. WOW this sub is amazing. I recommend it to any anyone that is thinking about buying one. I have not heard any of the other ID subs but I feel as though I have made the right choice. Wife wants to order another in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page