Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Peter, was not able to get any pics done today. Got called into work. Anyways, I did manage to order a VTF3.3 though. Cant wait till it is here!!!!!

Thanks so much, I'm really looking forward to your listening impressions (and looking forward to seeing the room layout too)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks View Post

Thanks so much, I'm really looking forward to your listening impressions (and looking forward to seeing the room layout too)!

You betcha!!!!!!!

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

You may want to calibrate your present subs first, you may find out that you have more than enough bass already and may not need to buy more. Just a suggestion

What would be the correct steps in calibrating your system. I have a onkyo 805 should I just run audyssey again? What will I do after that?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

I am sure the 3.3 can handle that scene IF it is calobrated properly. Have you done that? When calibrating turn the gain to about 1/4 then adjust from there. It is better to turn the level on the receiver up a bit if need be before turning the gain way up on the sub. I am not sure you would really need to run the sub hot or not. I did not need to in my room but when listening to music I would on occasion turn the volume on my receiver up to somewhat reference levels depending if my neighbor was at home. She leaves a lot during the day and comes home in the very late afternoon so I take advantage and crank my set-up up some. It is very important to calibrate w/Audessey then check w/RS SPL meter. You can also check again with Avia OR the Rives Test CDII. Once fully calibrated, then if you feel the need recalibrate the sub a bit higher to 77db or 78db. The idea is to allow for a smooth transition between the X-over point of the mains to that of the sub. If done properly, the sub will NOT sound localized depending on how high the X-over point is set. Mine is at 80 Hz. The higher the X-over point the more localized the sub becomes. Personally, I prefer to not know where the bass is coming from. It is sooooooooo kool when you get that effect!!!!!! My Primus speakers image superbly and thus when the bass is not localized the sound just freaks me out giving me a "you are there" sensation. This is the only way I know how to explain it my friend. Perhaps others here can chime in and explain it a bit better. Have you asked Peter Marks OR Dr. Hsu for help? They are like leaps and bounds above my capabilities and are most helpful. Give Dr. Hsu a call as I know he will be able to assist you ever so kindly. I have spoken to him on a couple occasions. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hello,

So you are saying I need to calibrate the surround sound again using audyssey correct? After I do that I need to calibrate the subs with a SPL?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Bori you should run the Audyssey program again, you have added another piece of equipment to your setup so the sub settings are no longer correct. I would recommend turning your 3.3 to around 1/3 on the gain knob first, then run audyssey. Afterwards, get out your spl meter and make sure all of your speakers and sub are level matched at 75db, using the test tones from your receiver. If you want your sub to be equal to the other speakers then the meter for the sub shoud read 72db, not 75db (the meter is a little off for the sub). A lot of us here like our subs to be run a little hot we LOVE bass, so if you want it hot, maybe have the meter read 75db with the sub, then it would be 3db hot.

You will also need to check the phase setting to see which is best.

Here are a few links that will help you out even more.

Let us know if you run into problems, but I guarantee your 3.3 will sound better once you calibrate it.

Good luck
Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 AM

Peter, for three years I have used a VTF2.2 in a 11'w x 13'd x 10'h room (with 2 open hallways at the end on each side of the room where my proj. screen at). I would like to upgrade to VTF 3.3, will it overkill?

Best regards,
Andrew
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bori you should run the Audyssey program again, you have added another piece of equipment to your setup so the sub settings are no longer correct. I would recommend turning your 3.3 to around 1/3 on the gain knob first, then run audyssey. Afterwards, get out your spl meter and make sure all of your speakers and sub are level matched at 75db, using the test tones from your receiver. If you want your sub to be equal to the other speakers then the meter for the sub shoud read 72db, not 75db (the meter is a little off for the sub). A lot of us here like our subs to be run a little hot we LOVE bass, so if you want it hot, maybe have the meter read 75db with the sub, then it would be 3db hot.

Let us know if you run into problems, but I guarantee your 3.3 will sound better once you calibrate it.

Good luck

Very well said. I also use the Rives Test CD II to do my levels in my room to see if there are any peeks or dips in the freuqency response. Furthermore, I do the same to my set-up w/o the sub and then again with the sub in order to do a comparison. If I move my sub any at all then I have to do the entire process all over again. It can get tedious but the results are worth the effort. As for phasing, it can be a bit tricky but you will have to rely more on what you hear. If the bass is louder at one setting than the other, then you probably will have it set properly. It just takes time and practice just like anything else really. I know it took me a few trials before I got the hang of it. Once done, it feels like a sense of accomplishment and is a great learning experience. I have to thank Ed Mullen for helping me with that. Thank you Ed.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Good evening Andrew,

I don't think it would be necessarily be overkill, since you would be getting much deeper extension and higher output capability. That said, even a VTF-2 Mk3 would be a significant upgrade and should be able to fill your room quite nicely, and would save you some money in the process (in addition to having a smaller enclosure than the -3 Mk3).

Sincerely,
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, I saw the Master list of DVD's with BASS, I just bought a HSU VTF-1 well had it for a while now but really haven't Tested it yet.

I went out and Bought Master & Commander and there are some cannon shots in the Beginning and it seems to Bottom out the Sub??

I do Not have the Sub setup to loud it is a little bit Past 1/4 the way up and I also Noticed it happened in Flags of Our Fathers it just sounded like it Bottomed out??

I had called HSU B4 I ran these movies to get it all setup as I knew Nothing and the Tech guy was Very Helpfull and I learned a bit about Subs.

My Question is since it only has a 25Hz Extension is this why it is Bottoming out as it might be a lower Hz in the Cannon Shots & Bombs going off??

I wanted to get the VTF-3 MK 2 Sub but it was a little bit Over my Budget

Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

well the vtf3.3 is on sale right now but still quite a bit more expensive than the vtf-1. Its also much better.
As a fairly similar alternative, what about the outlaw sub thats on sale,
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

I believe the outlaw subs are designed by dr hsu right?
Other options exist as well which will get you 20hz or less extension for 600 or less but you'll have to search around the forums.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,

I have the VTF3 MK3 and was thinking about adding another sub. Maybe the MBM-12 with a turbo for the VTF3 MK3. Or should I just add another VTF3 MK3? My room is 22x14x7. Right now I have the HSU in the left corner of the room. Someone give me some advice on what to do. Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bori, did you calibrate your 3.3 as detailed above yet?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

The 3.3 is is in my opinion the best sounding sub in it's price range and should be at the top of anyone's short list.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I finally took the leap and ordered my first subwoofer along with my first set of speakers and first receiver. After contemplating between the Hsu VTF-3 MK3 and the Elemental Designs (ED) A5-350, I ordered the VTF-3 MK3 because the A5-350 had a lead time of 6 weeks out. If that was not the case, I think I would have ordered the A5-350 because I read that it offered more bang for the bucks and scored real well on the Craigsub rating.

Anyway, since my knowledge of subs is zero I will probably be talking to Hsu when it comes time to perform calibration. My room is about 15'W X 14'L (opened to larger family room) X 7.5'H. The screen is along the width part of the room.

If the sub will be in the front right corner as the starting point, do I aim it toward the listening position? Should I perform the calibration using an SPL meter or let the Audyssey on the Denon 3808ci do it? My plan was to use Audyssey and then double check with an SPL meter.

My setup:
Denon 3808ci
Aperion 533-T for Front L/R
Aperion 533-VAC for Center
Aperion 632-IW for Side Surrounds
Aperion 632-IC for Rear Surrounds
Hsu VTF-3 MK3

Still Learning
Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bori, did you calibrate your 3.3 as detailed above yet?

Yes I did. I am getting rid of my 2 infinity subs so wanted to add second sub. But not sure if I should add another 3.3 or just add the turbo with a MBM-12
Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Yes I did. I am getting rid of my 2 infinity subs so wanted to add second sub. But not sure if I should add another 3.3 or just add the turbo with a MBM-12

I spoke with a Tech support at HSU at he suggested go with another 3.3 because I would not be able to put a MBM-12 in a nearfield position. So I went ahead and took his advice and made the purchase for the second 3.3.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks View Post

Peter, you have seen my pics. Got my 3.3 early this morning. I did not get to mess w/it much until this afternoon. I also took some pics but have reached my space limit here and can not post them. Would also have to resize them. Anyways, for the time being put the 3.3 exactly where I had the PB12-NSD. The levels are also the same. I removed the port plug and made sure the switch was set to MO mode. Then, turned off the X-over and put the power on auto. Still yet, I turned the volume/gain knob no more than 1/4-1/3 of the way. Right out of the box, the 3.3 can be summarized with one word: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wait.......ummm..... I mean AWESOME!!!!!!!! Did I mention AWESOMELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, Peter the 3.3 is very musical and really puts out. Reference levels were calibrated on my receiver at the "0" position and I never turn the volume past -20. Heck, it goes to +10 and I had it on -20.......wow!!!!!! I was affraid to turn it higher via the receiver levels BUT did turn the gain up a little more. Even then, the 3.3 still had plenty of juice left in the tank. So far, the 3.3 has delivered as advertised and I am grinning from ear to ear. Thanks once again Peter for all of your help. I also want to thank craigsub for offering his input. Lastly, I want to thank Dr. Hsu for designing a sub that delivers like the 3.3 does. Now back to sub oblivion..........

Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, one other thing I would like to comment on. The 3.3 finish looks much better than what I thought it would. The pics on the Hsu website does NOT do the finish justice. Of course, to each his own but if you are considering buying a 3.3 go for it!!!! You won't regret it I assure you.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Peter,

I downloaded the trailer for I am legend from xbox live. For anyone that wants good bass check this trailer out. During the scene where Will Smith is not alone towards the end when the room goes dark I get a popping sound coming from the subwoofer. Peter can you help me with this? Curious to know what is causing it.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Peter,

I downloaded the trailer for I am legend from xbox live. For anyone that wants good bass check this trailer out. During the scene where Will Smith is not alone towards the end when the room goes dark I get a popping sound coming from the subwoofer. Peter can you help me with this? Curious to know what is causing it.

Can someone help with this question?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Can someone help with this question?

Have you calibrated the subwoofer?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Hello all -

Been lurking around the forums for a while, but never usually post. I just wanted to ask a question about the volume level everyone is setting their Hsu subs to. I am a little concerned with all the talk that Hsu subs might be more prone to damage than other brands when pushed too hard. It sounds like it takes a lot to get to that level, but I wanted to just checkup on a few of my settings and what I am seeing so far with it.

I just got a VTF-2 MK3 that is seriously bringing down the walls in my house. I am currently running it alongside a Polk Audio PSW-650. The Hsu is on the left side of my system, the Polk on the right. Both are located in the front of the room next to the screen. I Would place them other places, but that ain't ever gonna happen until my wife moves out. I am running Rotel separates with everything running through a Rotel RSP-1066 DSP. I have the subs set to 0db in the DSP. This is all in a 4200 cubic foot room. Sorry to go on, but I thought I would mention how I am running this beast before I pose my questions.

I wanted to first address the volume question. I have read a few people state they are running their volume at 1/4 or a 1/3. This is probably just me, but based on the volume indicator on the sub I am finding this hard to pin down. This is how I break down the sub volume per each tick/line:

Min - Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line 4
Line 5
Line 6
Max Line 7

Based on that breakdown I am running it on line 3. I am using the line level inputs, with the phase at 180 since it sounded louder to me. I am using the 1 port option for max bass extension and have the crossover set to 90Hz. Does anyone see these settings as being far beyond how they are running their subs? This sub is currently hitting so hard in my room that I just needed to verify how I have it setup and what I am experiencing with other Hsu owners. Because at these settings it is seriously impressive.

Still kind of learning here, so I was wondering if someone could give me a few details for what to listen for to make sure the sub isn't being stressed? It would be greatly appreciated. I can honestly not explain what a huge difference this is making in my room. Even my wife was blown away when I played the council of Elrond scene from LOTR last night. Based on the price of these subs and how impressed I am so far, I am thinking about replacing my Polk with another VTF-2 MK3. Just curious if anyone would have any feedback for that setup? Wondering it that might be too much, if that is even possible?

Anyway, thanks in advance for anyone that even reads this rather long winded question. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Have you calibrated the subwoofer?

I ran it through the Onkyo receivers auto calibration when I just had the two infinity subwoofer to go along with the HSU,but I have not used a SPL meter yet. Mainly caused I just sold both of my Infinity subs and now just have the HSU working alone. I have another HSU coming Tuesday so I wanted to calibrate everything when I have both subs together. It wasnt doing that popping sound until I removed the 2 infinity subs from my HT. Currently I have the HSU set to 1/4 volume and my receiver to -4db.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I ran it through the Onkyo receivers auto calibration when I just had the two infinity subwoofer to go along with the HSU,but I have not used a SPL meter yet. Mainly caused I just sold both of my Infinity subs and now just have the HSU working alone. I have another HSU coming Tuesday so I wanted to calibrate everything when I have both subs together. It wasnt doing that popping sound until I removed the 2 infinity subs from my HT. Currently I have the HSU set to 1/4 volume and my receiver to -4db.

So you have made no adjustments since removing the other subs?

Were the other subs using the same line out of your receiver?

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

So you have made no adjustments since removing the other subs?

Were the other subs using the same line out of your receiver?

Yes the other subs were using the same line. I had three subs connected with two y splitters. I had one y splitter coming out of the receiver and another y splitter to connect the two infinitys. Now I just have the one y splitter coming from the receiver still connected. One end going to the HSU and the other end is empty waiting for Tuesday for the second sub.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes the other subs were using the same line. I had three subs connected with two y splitters. I had one y splitter coming out of the receiver and another y splitter to connect the two infinitys. Now I just have the one y splitter coming from the receiver still connected. One end going to the HSU and the other end is empty waiting for Tuesday for the second sub.

Ahh...then I believe the sub is now being overdriven....you should re-run the calibration routine.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello:

I was just curious about co-location when it comes to a standard sub and an mbm-12.

I see many posts in regards to having multiple subs suggesting that co-location is best.

However, with 2 subs they are both outputting the same wavelength. With an MBM-12 and a sub they are in different ranges.

So is there any benefit/detriment to co-locating the mbm-12 with a standard sub?

Splotto
Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 PM

I will be taking my sub overseas. The HSU site mentions that the STF-1 / STF-2 has a jumper to switch between 110 & 220. Will I be able to make the switch myself?

I know that the larger models have an external switch, but they are out of my budget.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck

I sold the two infinitys and just have the 3.3 by itself until this Tuesday when I receive my second 3.3. I ran the calibration using Audyssey and used a SPL to calibratie the HSU 5dbs higher. I would have to say that this sub alone is stronger than my two infintys put together. Simply amazing sound coming from this beast. I am afraid to hook up the second one now. But like I always said you can never have too much bass!!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hey neph,

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Hi, I saw the Master list of DVD's with BASS, I just bought a HSU VTF-1 well had it for a while now but really haven't Tested it yet.

I went out and Bought Master & Commander and there are some cannon shots in the Beginning and it seems to Bottom out the Sub??

I do Not have the Sub setup to loud it is a little bit Past 1/4 the way up and I also Noticed it happened in Flags of Our Fathers it just sounded like it Bottomed out??

I had called HSU B4 I ran these movies to get it all setup as I knew Nothing and the Tech guy was Very Helpfull and I learned a bit about Subs.

My Question is since it only has a 25Hz Extension is this why it is Bottoming out as it might be a lower Hz in the Cannon Shots & Bombs going off??

I wanted to get the VTF-3 MK 2 Sub but it was a little bit Over my Budget

Running the VTF-1 in max extension mode does place higher deep bass demands on the subwoofer, so at higher output levels it could be running out of steam. If you haven't tried so already, you could place it in the nearfield to improve impact.

Sincerely,

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt