***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6361 of 6389 Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post
I can't run the setup till later as I have 4 little kids that can't be quiet for long enough. I'm on a trip tomorrow till the end of the week. If I get a chance to run the setup again today/tonight I'll post again to try and answer your question. Sorry, I wish I could run it now.



Four kids is 4 too many to run Audyssey. No problem, just run it when you will.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6362 of 6389 Old 08-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post
I can't run the setup till later as I have 4 little kids that can't be quiet for long enough. I'm on a trip tomorrow till the end of the week. If I get a chance to run the setup again today/tonight I'll post again to try and answer your question. Sorry, I wish I could run it now.
I have "background" noise issues too. That's why I run it at about 4am. I get up at 3:30am during the week so I'm used to it.
Tom C is offline  
post #6363 of 6389 Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
Thanks for the catch. That's why I originally said to consult the manual. I haven't calibrated in months.
I have everything typed out and I keep it with the microphone. Otherwise I'm lost.
Tom C is offline  
post #6364 of 6389 Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I have "background" noise issues too. That's why I run it at about 4am. I get up at 3:30am during the week so I'm used to it.

4am is too early to do anything besides snoring.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6365 of 6389 Old 08-02-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I have everything typed out and I keep it with the microphone. Otherwise I'm lost.


That's what I need to do but usually I remember the steps once I actually go to do it.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6366 of 6389 Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Vacation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

The 10db boost comes straight from Chad B, who is calibrates both video and audio, and does Audyssey pro calibrations. Ive been so much more happy since boosting 10 db's.

Where did you see this? I've gone through the Audyssey thread and don't recall seeing that.

I also have a VTF 15H, and to me it seems program/movie dependent upon the getting the subwoofer level right. Sometimes leaving it where audyssey sets it sounds right, other times boosting 6 dbs sounds "right" to me.
Vacation is offline  
post #6367 of 6389 Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I've never seen this 10db thing either but most people here are a lot more into subs than I am.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6368 of 6389 Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
Where did you see this? I've gone through the Audyssey thread and don't recall seeing that.

I also have a VTF 15H, and to me it seems program/movie dependent upon the getting the subwoofer level right. Sometimes leaving it where audyssey sets it sounds right, other times boosting 6 dbs sounds "right" to me.
Chad goes around the country doing audyssey pro calibrations, and he has a certified meter. Audyssey sets the subs low per his opinion, my opinion and many others. The audyssey thread has three things, some suggestions, some fact and some robots defending audyssey's every move.

2 years ago I had no idea about running subs "hot" but just knew that I felt Audyssey did not have enough bass, and then someone mentioned it one day and I looked into it. I talked to two difference audio calibrators (Chad being one) and they said 5 to 10db boost after audyssey is run is quite common. Plenty of folks who set their own levels with a meter will set fronts and rears to 75db, and then set their subs to 85db. I'm not saying it's all Audysseys fault, I think the idea of setting the subs at the same level as your other speakers just doesnt work as well for HT as running them hot. I started doing 5 and appreciated the improvement. When Chad B came over he explained that when he performed an Audyssey pro cal, he generally went +10db. We tested it out, the subs handled it fine, and when I watch a good LFE flick, they really rock.

It's simple, either try it or don't. No skin off my back.
Vacation likes this.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6369 of 6389 Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Vacation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Chad goes around the country doing audyssey pro calibrations, and he has a certified meter. Audyssey sets the subs low per his opinion, my opinion and many others. The audyssey thread has three things, some suggestions, some fact and some robots defending audyssey's every move.

2 years ago I had no idea about running subs "hot" but just knew that I felt Audyssey did not have enough bass, and then someone mentioned it one day and I looked into it. I talked to two difference audio calibrators (Chad being one) and they said 5 to 10db boost after audyssey is run is quite common. Plenty of folks who set their own levels with a meter will set fronts and rears to 75db, and then set their subs to 85db. I'm not saying it's all Audysseys fault, I think the idea of setting the subs at the same level as your other speakers just doesnt work as well for HT as running them hot. I started doing 5 and appreciated the improvement. When Chad B came over he explained that when he performed an Audyssey pro cal, he generally went +10db. We tested it out, the subs handled it fine, and when I watch a good LFE flick, they really rock.

It's simple, either try it or don't. No skin off my back.
Thanks for the response. I know that it's common for people to run their subs "hot" after Audyssey, but what I didn't know was that several "pros" actual recommend to do so and by a 5-10 db amount. I agree that I also like a slight boost (6 db) when watching movies, and I know that broadcast TV isn't mixed to the same standards (hence why a 6 db boost usually sounds too much to my ears when watching something on cable). I guess I was looking for a general consensus.
Vacation is offline  
post #6370 of 6389 Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My 15H's would actually dominate my room if I ran them at +10. I wouldn't really hear anything else in the movie...lol. +5 is doable though.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6371 of 6389 Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello there,

I second the idea of getting a dBSPL (sound level) meter. The one we've used is the analog one from Radio Shack [no longer available at RS, but you can still find them on ebay, etc]. You can use that alongside the Hsu BAS Test CD test tones to figure out how that sub is responding at your listening position pre and post audyssey. Just for clarification, at +6 on the LFE channel level and 9 o'clock on the sub, the bass level was great, but after running audyssey, with +1 on the LFE channel level and volume at 9 o'clock, the bass was anemic? Also note where the crossover settings are on your speaker config. If they set the speaker to full range or the crossover below 80, you'll lose a lot of the punch you were getting before audyssey.

Sincerely,
Kevin
HsuKevin is offline  
post #6372 of 6389 Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Member
 
EL GUER0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I'm back and have tested my system once again. I set the initial volume on the sub to register 85 db instead of 75 db as the setup asked for. after the calibration the speakers were as follow:
SL -2.5
L -4.0
C -5.5
R -4.5
SR -3.0
Sub -9.0

I increased the sub in the menu from -9.0 to +1 and then listened to some of demo material. My favorite is the ending battle in Iron Man 2 with the drones. I made sure to listen with one port EQ1 and Q .7 and 9 o clock as that is how I has it to calibrate. It sounded Ok but not quite the beating I wanted. I then listened both ports open EQ2 Q .7 and 9 o clock. It was better but still not devastating LFE but good.

I read HSUkevin's post and checked the crossover in the menu and it was at 120 hz so I switched to 80 hz and ran it again...sounded closer to what I want but still just a bit short. In the end I don't want to damage my sub but still want to feel that powerful LFE. I've contemplated a second sub for my room size. I also thought maybe two of the MBM-12 with the Vtf 15 would give me the kick I want. I'm not displeased with the outcome at all. I might go into the menu and up the Db on the sub a little more. Any thoughts would be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks for all the help you have been.
EL GUER0 is offline  
post #6373 of 6389 Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
If you are talking about the LFE crossover, you want it at 120hz. The crossover for your other speakers should be set for the speakers capabilities.

I cross all my Klipsch at 80hz, and run the fronts as "Small" and the center as "Small". LFE xover of 120hz.

One thing about the crossover settings for the mains, center, etc... Once Audyssey is complete and saved, you can raise a crossover setting, but lowering it could cause issues. For example, Audyssey sets my fronts as large and full, and my center as small and 40hz. I change the fronts to small and 80hz, and the center to 80hz. If it had set my center at 100hz, per audyssey rules IIRC, I should not adjust down to 80hz.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #6374 of 6389 Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Member
 
Vacation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post
OK, I'm back and have tested my system once again. I set the initial volume on the sub to register 85 db instead of 75 db as the setup asked for. after the calibration the speakers were as follow:
SL -2.5
L -4.0
C -5.5
R -4.5
SR -3.0
Sub -9.0

I increased the sub in the menu from -9.0 to +1 and then listened to some of demo material. My favorite is the ending battle in Iron Man 2 with the drones. I made sure to listen with one port EQ1 and Q .7 and 9 o clock as that is how I has it to calibrate. It sounded Ok but not quite the beating I wanted. I then listened both ports open EQ2 Q .7 and 9 o clock. It was better but still not devastating LFE but good.

I read HSUkevin's post and checked the crossover in the menu and it was at 120 hz so I switched to 80 hz and ran it again...sounded closer to what I want but still just a bit short. In the end I don't want to damage my sub but still want to feel that powerful LFE. I've contemplated a second sub for my room size. I also thought maybe two of the MBM-12 with the Vtf 15 would give me the kick I want. I'm not displeased with the outcome at all. I might go into the menu and up the Db on the sub a little more. Any thoughts would be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks for all the help you have been.

Guero, when you say you lowered the crossover from 120hz to 80z, where did you do this at? If you actually lowered the speaker crossover, this could be part of the problem. If you're speakers (NOT the LPF for the LFE channel) were set small with a 120 hz crossover by audyssey, then you do not want to lower the speaker crossover, as you're speakers can't adequately reproduce anything lower than that, according to the Audyssey results. In short, you do not want to lower an Audyssey set crossover, only raise it if necessary.

If it was, in fact, only the LPF for LFE that you set to 80 hz, you should bump that back to 120 hz. In this case, what is the crossover for each of you're speakers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
If you are talking about the LFE crossover, you want it at 120hz. The crossover for your other speakers should be set for the speakers capabilities.

I cross all my Klipsch at 80hz, and run the fronts as "Small" and the center as "Small". LFE xover of 120hz.

One thing about the crossover settings for the mains, center, etc... Once Audyssey is complete and saved, you can raise a crossover setting, but lowering it could cause issues. For example, Audyssey sets my fronts as large and full, and my center as small and 40hz. I change the fronts to small and 80hz, and the center to 80hz. If it had set my center at 100hz, per audyssey rules IIRC, I should not adjust down to 80hz.
This
Vacation is offline  
post #6375 of 6389 Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Member
 
EL GUER0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good info...adjusting the 80 hz back to 120 hz. It was only for the LFE.
EL GUER0 is offline  
post #6376 of 6389 Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thinking about replacing my pioneer fs52, with hsu hb1 mk2 book shelfs, are they a huge difference from eachother?
justdiscovering is offline  
post #6377 of 6389 Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Newbie
 
RemoteLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Dolby Atmos and Hsu? Inquiring minds want to know?

After attending a couple of different Dolby Atmos demo's recently at audio related convention get togethers the last few months....I am now seriously wondering...
Is Hsu contemplating any Atmos configured speaker systems to go with the new Atmos enabled AV receivers coming out into this newly created market by Dolby? It's not all amplifiers driving the sound field, it's metadata driving whatever is there, to the best of it's advantage.
Is any research being done, in producing say 5/7/9.2.4 or 6 Atmos home theater speaker configurations with maybe the HIW-1 Horn In-Wall speakers now being ceiling mounted overhead surround speaker's? Or HB-1 MK2's with top firing drivers added per Dolby's latest design configurations for the speaker systems.
I want a total Hsu speaker system for my own home theater use and now the target seems to be shifting to a more encompassing home theater sound environment with the advancing technology and prices.
Remember ...the new home theater speaker systems will have to handle sounds from 128 digitally localized metadata sources now...with at times, almost half of the sound field emanating from above...

My 2 cents,
RLM
Old School..Love my vinyl!
RemoteLogic is offline  
post #6378 of 6389 Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WhskyTangoFoxtrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteLogic View Post
After attending a couple of different Dolby Atmos demo's recently at audio related convention get togethers the last few months....I am now seriously wondering...
Is Hsu contemplating any Atmos configured speaker systems to go with the new Atmos enabled AV receivers coming out into this newly created market by Dolby? It's not all amplifiers driving the sound field, it's metadata driving whatever is there, to the best of it's advantage.
Is any research being done, in producing say 5/7/9.2.4 or 6 Atmos home theater speaker configurations with maybe the HIW-1 Horn In-Wall speakers now being ceiling mounted overhead surround speaker's? Or HB-1 MK2's with top firing drivers added per Dolby's latest design configurations for the speaker systems.
I want a total Hsu speaker system for my own home theater use and now the target seems to be shifting to a more encompassing home theater sound environment with the advancing technology and prices.
Remember ...the new home theater speaker systems will have to handle sounds from 128 digitally localized metadata sources now...with at times, almost half of the sound field emanating from above...

My 2 cents,
RLM
Old School..Love my vinyl!
Loving vinyl and embracing Atmos -- great!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm limited on time these days. It's my understanding that besides the new up-firing Atmos speakers for applications that won't allow installing speakers in the ceiling, the Atmos software processes the metadata and sends the appropriate signal mix to the speakers to shape the sound, which includes ceiling speakers. Wouldn't current Hsu speakers be sufficient, although in an Atmos specific HT arrangement and number?

Also, I might hold out for floor installed speakers/subwoofers when Atmos 2.0 comes out. The AVS popularity of wearing out the repeat button watching the WOTW pod scene demands it.
RemoteLogic likes this.
WhskyTangoFoxtrt is offline  
post #6379 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got my VTF-15H to go with my VTF-3HO+Turbo. I can't wait to get them both up and running!!

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"

Last edited by Backlash; 08-17-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Backlash is offline  
post #6380 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
I just got my VTF-15H to go with my HO+Turbo. I can't wait to get them both up and running!!

Congrats! Welcome to the 15H Fam.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6381 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the second time

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is offline  
post #6382 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
For the second time
Yeah. This time you stepped up with the Big Boyz!

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6383 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
At the time the HO with the turbo was it.

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is offline  
post #6384 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
At the time the HO with the turbo was it.


Point taken.


Well, hope they sound great together.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6385 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Newbie
 
RayWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@RemoteLogic Dolby Atmos and Hsu? Inquiring minds want to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteLogic View Post
After attending a couple of different Dolby Atmos demo's recently at audio related convention get togethers the last few months....I am now seriously wondering...
Is Hsu contemplating any Atmos configured speaker systems to go with the new Atmos enabled AV receivers coming out into this newly created market by Dolby? It's not all amplifiers driving the sound field, it's metadata driving whatever is there, to the best of it's advantage.
Kevin Hsu has stated unequivocally on the HSU Forum site that the Hsu team considered an Atmos response and declined because it hasn't proven itself. With Denon, Marrantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, et. al. 2014 AVR models supporting Atmos, that seems to override my concerns for Atmos proving itself. I hope to make my HT buy within 8 months and I've planned to used the Hsu Ultimate 5.2.1 configuration with Audyssey controlling my room through a Denon X4000. With its replacement, the X4100 Atmos adding hybrid technology, I'm likely to look to Definitive Technology up-firing speakers to supplement the HSU speakers. I might start with only one ULS-15 to fund the Def_Techs.

I hope to read A:B comparisons of a great Hsu configuration with and without the Definitive Technology add-ons. I doubt Atmos will be the 3-D of the audio world. It could be.
RemoteLogic likes this.
RayWK is online now  
post #6386 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayWK View Post
Kevin Hsu has stated unequivocally on the HSU Forum site that the Hsu team considered an Atmos response and declined because it hasn't proven itself. With Denon, Marrantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, et. al. 2014 AVR models supporting Atmos, that seems to override my concerns for Atmos proving itself. I hope to make my HT buy within 8 months and I've planned to used the Hsu Ultimate 5.2.1 configuration with Audyssey controlling my room through a Denon X4000. With its replacement, the X4100 Atmos adding hybrid technology, I'm likely to look to Definitive Technology up-firing speakers to supplement the HSU speakers. I might start with only one ULS-15 to fund the Def_Techs.

I hope to read A:B comparisons of a great Hsu configuration with and without the Definitive Technology add-ons. I doubt Atmos will be the 3-D of the audio world. It could be.

I think that people buying specific Atmos speaker setups will be far and few between. I can see many more addons being bought as most of those who would invest in the technology already have some sort of home theater which contain either floorstanders or in wall speakers. I'm certainly not getting rid of my RF62's for anything Atmos specific.
RayWK and RemoteLogic like this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #6387 of 6389 Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Backlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm totally planning Atmos. Different room, but with another pair of DM602S3s as sides instead of my CCM817s and those as the Atmos speakers. I can't wait! This extra sub was a part of that.

I know most people won't do the ceiling speakers, but them a fair number of people think Bose satellites sound good. You can hardly blame Hsu for not doing reflector speakers. Besides it looks like most of this is strictly software processing. Most any cabinet speakers could be installed between floor joists.
RayWK and RemoteLogic like this.

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
Backlash is offline  
post #6388 of 6389 Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi there,

We're still very interested in seeing how ATMOS fairs as we go along. Certainly you can use the HIW-1's for the inceiling speakers. There are many variables to consider when it comes to designing a speaker for firing into a ceiling and back to the listening position and to even maintain accurate reproduction of the source material, while at the same time, not muddying up your front speakers in the lower frequencies.

Sincerely,
Kevin
PcGeek626 and RemoteLogic like this.
HsuKevin is offline  
post #6389 of 6389 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Member
 
PcGeek626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i agree with kevin. well said

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
PcGeek626 is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off