Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #6421 of 6427 Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Almost sounds like something is wrong with the sub out on the AVR. It has some voltage on it and if it isnt working right, it won't turn the sub on.

Does the sub perform fine otherwise if set to on instead of Auto? I leave mine on On all the time, but that doesnt take away from the fact something in your setup seems to have an issue.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6427 Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Almost sounds like something is wrong with the sub out on the AVR. It has some voltage on it and if it isnt working right, it won't turn the sub on.

Does the sub perform fine otherwise if set to on instead of Auto? I leave mine on On all the time, but that doesnt take away from the fact something in your setup seems to have an issue.
It seems to work if I have it manually set to ON, whether it performs fine, not sure how to tell. I can tell the difference between the sub on and off and I like it on, does that count?
post #6423 of 6427 Old 09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Someone may have a better idea, but it either sounds like the output voltage on the AVR isn't right, or the auto sense on the amp is not working correctly. I'd lean toward the amp since you get boom with it set to On. That tells me output voltage on the AVR should be OK, because if it wasn't you would not get much or any output from the sub regardless of Auto or On.

Maybe Hsu can help you reign it in. If your trim level in the AVR is set to 0.0, the sub should turn on just fine with volume.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #6424 of 6427 Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post
[Cross posted from the Denon thread]
Anyone using the STF-2 with a 2014 model Denon AVR (mine is the S900W)?
I have the sub set to Auto which is supposed to turn the sub on when the receiver sends anything to it. Except that it doesn't seem to do the trick. While the sub is in standby, I tried playing the AVR test tones via the setup menus. With the sub level set to 0dB nothing was playing because the sub was not turning on. I have to bump up the sub volume to sometimes +4.5dB other times +6dB for the sub to come alive. Any thoughts? The sub manual says that I can also leave the sub ON at all times and it won't use more power or affect its reliability, but Auto sounds more appealing. Perhaps an Audyssey calibration would take care of it if the sub level is indeed deemed too low at 0dB.
I have a 2312ci that turns on an STF-2 with no problems, and an X2000 that turns on a VTF-2 with no issues. As you mentioned, the Hsu manual says that if auto on doesn't work, leaving it set to 'on' is not an issue. I'd be a little frustrated by auto on not working, but it's probably not worth worrying about.
post #6425 of 6427 Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
[Cross posted from the Denon thread]
Anyone using the STF-2 with a 2014 model Denon AVR (mine is the S900W)?
I have the sub set to Auto which is supposed to turn the sub on when the receiver sends anything to it. Except that it doesn't seem to do the trick. While the sub is in standby, I tried playing the AVR test tones via the setup menus. With the sub level set to 0dB nothing was playing because the sub was not turning on. I have to bump up the sub volume to sometimes +4.5dB other times +6dB for the sub to come alive. Any thoughts? The sub manual says that I can also leave the sub ON at all times and it won't use more power or affect its reliability, but Auto sounds more appealing. Perhaps an Audyssey calibration would take care of it if the sub level is indeed deemed too low at 0dB.
Have you checked out SUB 101? It's pretty helpful and can be found here:

Setting Up Your Home Theater 101

If I understand correctly, you haven't run Audyssey. I would do that first.

If you have your heart set on using the AUTO function, you can connect a Y adapter into both the left/right low-level inputs on the sub to goose it a little. You can also increase the sub level in your AVR.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6426 of 6427 Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post
Have you checked out SUB 101? It's pretty helpful and can be found here:

Setting Up Your Home Theater 101
Sorry, which one is SUB 101? There are a bunch of links under the subwoofer section, any one in particular?

Quote:
If I understand correctly, you haven't run Audyssey. I would do that first.
I have not done it yet.

Quote:
If you have your heart set on using the AUTO function, you can connect a Y adapter into both the left/right low-level inputs on the sub to goose it a little. You can also increase the sub level in your AVR.
How does this work? Connect the Y cable to the AVR sub out? What about the In/Out switch on the sub in this case?
My AVR also has 2 outputs for the sub, does that help in any way? Are these 2 outputs just an "early" Y split or is there more to it?

After all though it may turn out there's no problem. I unplugged the power form the sub, then plugged in back in and it seems to behave now. Perhaps it was just a coincidence before, maybe the material being played didn't have enough bass on it, though it doesn't explain the test tone behavior.
post #6427 of 6427 Old 09-20-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Sorry, which one is SUB 101? There are a bunch of links under the subwoofer section, any one in particular?

I have not done it yet.
<Run Audyssey & it'll set the sub so you can hear it! It's really that important you run the setup before you troubleshoot any issues you may or may not have!>

How does this work? Connect the Y cable to the AVR sub out? What about the In/Out switch on the sub in this case?
<The Y splitter goes into the R/L outs on back of the sub & the male end of the splitter goes into your sub cable which then connects to either of the 2 sub outs on your avr.>

My AVR also has 2 outputs for the sub, does that help in any way? Are these 2 outputs just an "early" Y split or is there more to it?
<The 2 outputs are for 2 subs if you want or not, either will work but they're not for the Y cable.>

After all though it may turn out there's no problem. I unplugged the power form the sub, then plugged in back in and it seems to behave now. Perhaps it was just a coincidence before, maybe the material being played didn't have enough bass on it, though it doesn't explain the test tone behavior.
<Hope the above helps somewhat!>

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page