***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #6691 of 6704 Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Hsu is very prompt, they usually ship the next business day. You don't have long to wait.
I got it on Friday. Set it up with some bookshelf speakers, and the sound quality is amazing. I am waiting until tomorrow for my 5.0 BIC speaker system to arrive and I am looking forward to hearing everything all set up. The VTF-3 is certainly the crown jewel of my new system.
shadyJ and ChromeJob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6704 Old 06-18-2015, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Hsu is very prompt, they usually ship the next business day. You don't have long to wait.
Well now that I have had the whole 5.1 system set up for two days, man do I love this VTF-3 MK5 HP subwoofer! I have never in my life owned such a fine piece of audio equipment, and it's like night and day to what I was used to. An audio experience epiphany!

My wife and I love to listen to Jazz, but with this sub, I am actually listening as if I am in the same room with the bass player! The tonal quality combined with the fact that the sound is not just heard, but also felt is simply amazing.

Oh and movies, where do I begin? Maybe with how the Disney opening scene with fireworks shooting off over Cinderella's castle now sound like authentic fire works and not just a gratuitous, unrecognizable pop. Or maybe it's with the experience I had watching Star Wars (new hope) last night, where the scenes with Vader carries this low, almost inaudible, rumbling which intensifies with his level of viciousness. Have I ever experienced that when I watched this movie before? Maybe when I saw the re-release in the theaters back in the 90's. Certainly not in home viewing.

Anyway I can't say enough about what this Sub has done for my music and movie listening experience.

Specifically, I would like to thank you ShadyJ for your advice on what to get. I couldn't be happier with this subwoofer!
shadyJ, ambesolman and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #6693 of 6704 Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 433
About how long is the backorder for the new VTF15 MK2?

October HorrorFest Participant
post #6694 of 6704 Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
About how long is the backorder for the new VTF15 MK2?

Not sure but I'd go ahead and spend the extra $150 for the Rosenut if I really wanted one. Looks a little better and you get it asap.
ambesolman likes this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #6695 of 6704 Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 559
For anyone who might be interested... I just published a review on the VTF-3 MK5 HP. I came away quite impressive with what I heard.
Gmash likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6696 of 6704 Old 07-01-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For anyone who might be interested... I just published a review on the VTF-3 MK5 HP. I came away quite impressive with what I heard.

Good write up Jim. I agree, Hsu makes great subs. My vtf3 mk3 was my first "real" sub and has been a stellar performer since the day I got it while remaining problem free. I thought about getting a second last year, but was persuaded to try the DIY approach with a sealed dual opposed SI 18 project (dubbed the Rockbiter due to the granite top) which turned out better than expected. While it extends lower than the Hsu, the vtf keeps up remarkably well in its frequency range.
My old man was so impressed with the Hsu that he bought one in a 5.1 pkg. I liked the HB-1 speakers so much that I bought a pair for mains. They've since been moved to wides duty, but they're great speakers, especially at their price.

Have you heard the HB-1s? Would love to read your review on them.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #6697 of 6704 Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Have you heard the HB-1s? Would love to read your review on them.
I have not unfortunately, although I must admit to having been curious about them in the past. The current rendition (MK2) has been out for a while though, haven't they? If so I'm not sure Dr. Hsu would be interested in getting them evaluated. Now if they release a MK3 then that's another story...
ambesolman likes this.

post #6698 of 6704 Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have the Hsu HB-1 Mk2's and think they are excellent speakers, regardless of price - but the relatively low price is an added bonus. There are several reviews on Hsu's product page; I'd say the ones from Gene Pitts and Andrew Robinson most match my opinion.

That said, I recently purchased the Ascend Sierra 2's which are to my ears the better speakers but then they cost almost 5x as much as the Hsu's. Also a shameless plug that I am now selling my HB-1's, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to people. They really are superb speakers - definitely worth a listen.
post #6699 of 6704 Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Went ahead and ordered a VTF15HMk2 today and the satin was instock!
post #6700 of 6704 Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Nice review! I was hoping you would check out some Hsu products.
post #6701 of 6704 Old 07-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 92
***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

Quote:
FYI, the "BAS Test CD" ("Missing an 'S'") is a sampler based on recordings by the Boston Audio Society (BAS). Think it says it somewhere in the fine print.

I particularly like that Saint-Saens Organ Symphony excerpt with the 16Hz sub-tone. When I got my VTF-2 and played that, I knew it was a keeper.

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 07-06-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Correction to name of Boston AUDIO Society, plus www link
post #6702 of 6704 Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Nice review! I was hoping you would check out some Hsu products.
Thanks. I've actually had HSU on my radar for about 2 years now, but I was waiting for something new to be released (most of the current products are "mature" by ID standards, so it didn't seem fitting to review any of them). As soon as I saw the new VTF-3 I reached out to Dr. Hsu and we started making arrangements. It just took a while longer than normal to make it happen.

As a side note... if you have a product you'd like to suggest for review by all means do so. Just send me a PM with the request and I'll look into it. I can't guarantee anything, of course, but I'm certainly open to ideas.
ambesolman likes this.

post #6703 of 6704 Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
FYI, the "BAS Test CD" ("Missing an 'S'") is a sampler based on recordings by the Boston Acoustic Society (BAS). Think it says it somewhere in the fine print.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info. Dr. Hsu looked over the review after it was published and never even mentioned it.
ChromeJob likes this.

post #6704 of 6704 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I drove down and picked up my VTF 15H MK2 this week. A huge thanks to Kevin for giving me his time to demo the sub and help me load it into my minivan.

Couple notes:

The US Geological Survey department contacted me because their earthquake sensors are being thrown off in my city when I watch a movie, now. I invited them over for movie nights so I think we're cool there.

I have a ~5000 cubic foot space with a large opening into the dining room and kitchen. I was concerned that the sub wouldn't have enough power to really hit hard in the room. I no longer have those concerns.

I'm working on removing rattling from my house. Springs in the relatively new windows I have each respond to different frequencies, so I'm trying to figure out some ways to silence those. They're hard to reach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt