***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #6721 of 6739 Old 08-16-2015, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs up Can anyone tell me what crossover frequency I should be using?

I have a VTF-15H Mk2 (which I just blew out the driver on). As soon as I get my new driver I want to know which crossover frequency I should be using. I've got the gain at 9 'o' clock (which I have heard is good) and I've actually got my receiver set at 0 dB to the subwoofer. Comments? Criticisms? I don't want to destroy the next driver too.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6739 Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Like I said before, if I were you, I would set it to 'EQ2' with both ports open and the Q control set to maybe '.5'. Set the crossover switch to 'out'. This should make a substantial difference in sound to the settings you had before. It should also do more to protect the sub. Let us know how those settings work. By the way, these settings are all explained in the manual.
post #6723 of 6739 Old 08-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey the Nube View Post
I have a VTF-15H Mk2 (which I just blew out the driver on). As soon as I get my new driver I want to know which crossover frequency I should be using. I've got the gain at 9 'o' clock (which I have heard is good) and I've actually got my receiver set at 0 dB to the subwoofer. Comments? Criticisms? I don't want to destroy the next driver too.
Thanks!
I think you had your answer already in the other thread. AVR crossover at 80Hz.

“Toby! I got me a regular Ben-Hur down here...”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #6724 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 170
My vtf3-mk5 is at fed-ex waiting to be picked up. I cant wait to give it a good workout this weekend.
post #6725 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Enjoy the beast. I've had mine for about two weeks now and have nothing but stellar things to say about the unit. Truly something special to be felt!
post #6726 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10ac View Post
My vtf3-mk5 is at fed-ex waiting to be picked up. I cant wait to give it a good workout this weekend.
Based upon my experience I suspect you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6727 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone, im at work right now so i will get to unbox it tonight but won't get to hear it until tomorrow morning.
post #6728 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

I just got home and got it unboxed, I have to say that out of all the subs I have had in the house over the last couple of months the packaging on the Hsu was the best. Fedex would have to be extremely careless to be able to damage the sub in transit.
post #6729 of 6739 Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wish I had the same positive demeanor about your subs as most of you do. I have found the vtf-15h to be just slightly fun, but mostly a hassle, more hassle than any of the numerous subs I've had the luck of owning. What a disappointment. Every single day for the past few months I find myself bent over the 2 foot long sub, trying to make little adjustments to improve my listening experience. I've tried every combination of phase, crossover and gain setting that makes sense. I've tried changing the crossover from 80 on my mains to 90 and 70. I've tried moving it close to the corner in my family room, to almost a foot away from side and front wall with very little difference. The imaging just flat out sucks, especially if this is the only subwoofer I am using. You can especially tell between 27-32hz, 50hz, 70 and 80hz are coming straight out of the sub with little dispersion. When I add a Definitive supercube with 3 8" drivers, it helps the imaging get more to the center.

There is another problem with the imaging as well. I like to set the LFE at 120hz on my receiver (for movies that use 80-120 in the LFE signal) and the mains X'd at 80hz. Even with my definitive placed behind the couch in the center of the enviornment, anything over 100hz sounds like it couldn't come any more directly out of the HSU. Basically, when I run a sine sweep, most everything comes stronger from the right side of the room where the HSU is. I don't have many other options to place the sub closer to the center of the enviornment.

Im ready to get rid of this thing, heck I was almost ready to put it out on the sidewalk for free. I seriously dislike how every time I turn on my equipment to listen to a song, I find myself adjusting knobs constantly on the back of the HSU. It distracts me from enjoying movies, music and games. My girlfriend is also getting tired of all the time I keep spending going OCD on the adjustments.

I know this sounds silly, but I was so excited to get this sub at first- replacing a broken JBL sub. But having a very constantly sore back from constantly making adjustments almost every day- and consequently not enjoying my music and just relaxing, has seriously added to the depression I already suffer from in my life. I have never purchased an electronic component that negatively affected my mood and candor as much as this has (hence why I almost put it out on the curb for free). I try not to spend either time or money on anything that brings my mood down or wastes my time. This sub is now legendary in my mind for frustration inducing depression.

I don't even care if you guys recommend a more expensive sub. I'm not rich by any means, but I'd rather spend extra money on a product that will provide me with years of enjoyment and great sound- without having to noodle around with adjustment knobs every time I sit down on my couch.

I'm exhausted from all this! Need good recommendations!
post #6730 of 6739 Old Today, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantEulogy View Post
I wish I had the same positive demeanor about your subs as most of you do. I have found the vtf-15h to be just slightly fun, but mostly a hassle, more hassle than any of the numerous subs I've had the luck of owning. What a disappointment. Every single day for the past few months I find myself bent over the 2 foot long sub, trying to make little adjustments to improve my listening experience. I've tried every combination of phase, crossover and gain setting that makes sense. I've tried changing the crossover from 80 on my mains to 90 and 70. I've tried moving it close to the corner in my family room, to almost a foot away from side and front wall with very little difference. The imaging just flat out sucks, especially if this is the only subwoofer I am using. You can especially tell between 27-32hz, 50hz, 70 and 80hz are coming straight out of the sub with little dispersion. When I add a Definitive supercube with 3 8" drivers, it helps the imaging get more to the center.
It certainly sounds like you've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to dial it in, so I can understand the frustration. My first question would be what AVR or amp are you using as the input source? Also, how large is the space you're using (HWD)?

Quote:
There is another problem with the imaging as well. I like to set the LFE at 120hz on my receiver (for movies that use 80-120 in the LFE signal) and the mains X'd at 80hz.
The LFE channel should always be at 120Hz, irrespective of the crossover point. Those are two entirely different things, so there's no conflict with how you set it up.

Quote:
Im ready to get rid of this thing, heck I was almost ready to put it out on the sidewalk for free. I seriously dislike how every time I turn on my equipment to listen to a song, I find myself adjusting knobs constantly on the back of the HSU. It distracts me from enjoying movies, music and games. My girlfriend is also getting tired of all the time I keep spending going OCD on the adjustments.
Is OCD part of the issue perhaps? I'm not saying that in a sarcastic or facetious way either, I'm serious. Someone who struggles with that might have the subwoofer already setup properly, but may be unable to enjoy it regardless.

Quote:
I don't even care if you guys recommend a more expensive sub. I'm not rich by any means, but I'd rather spend extra money on a product that will provide me with years of enjoyment and great sound- without having to noodle around with adjustment knobs every time I sit down on my couch.
Being that this is a brand-specific HSU subwoofer thread, and you have their top of the line product, there isn't much anyone will be able to suggest as far as additional options. If you want to go in a different direction you would get far more responses by starting a new thread dedicated to your particular situation.

Another question just came to me; does your source have auto room correction, something along the lines of YPAO, MCACC, etc? If so, when you ran it what did it set the subwoofer at?
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by JimWilson; Today at 05:53 AM.
post #6731 of 6739 Old Today, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 123
***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

Imaging?? What imaging could you possibly get at 50hz, 25hz?

You mention adjusting everything, are you running the mains through the sub? I would just hook the sub to the line level LFE out and leave the sub's cross over at max. Set the sub settings at the manual's recommended config, and leave it for a week. Don't touch! Get accustomed to it before succumbing to twiddlitis.

Since you've already configured a sub before, I presume with a subwoofer crawl or other method, just put the sub there and let your Audyssey/YPAO do its stuff.

I appreciate your mental health concerns, been there done that, but trust me, the sub isn't the problem or fault. Any grief you experience due to configuration distress is self inflicted.

“Toby! I got me a regular Ben-Hur down here...”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Last edited by ChromeJob; Today at 06:15 AM.
post #6732 of 6739 Old Today, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 458
@InstantEulogy
I know this is room specific or even AVR issues, but I am in a very large basement (partially shelved off HT) 45ft x 17ft x 10ft, and my VTF15Mk2 keeps up nicely with 90% of the LFE from movies. Sure on some flicks like Jupiter Ascending (ultra low bass movie through out) I can feel the air coming from the port from 8ft away on my legs, but my couch barely feels like it is vibrating, largely due to the large volume of the area. Back in my home in Cincinnati, my basement is way smaller and my old VTF has zero issues pressurizing the room. I have the Denon 4311, speakers at small, Xover at 80. For me if I truly want more bass to fill the area, I need two or more subs and that isn't HSU fault but just plain physics.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #6733 of 6739 Old Today, 05:17 PM

Im on my second movie with the vtf3-mk5 and I totally agree with Mr. Wilson's statement that it takes everything you throw at it in stride.
post #6734 of 6739 Old Today, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Im on my second movie with the vtf3-mk5 and I totally agree with Mr. Wilson's statement that it takes everything you throw at it in stride.
Glad its worked out so well for you. Congrats on the new toy!
jd10ac likes this.

post #6735 of 6739 Old Today, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Glad its worked out so well for you. Congrats on the new toy!
Thanks, it was your review that pushed me into ordering it. Any plans to review the the new ULS-15 mk2? I think Hsu would be doing themselves a great favor by bringing one over for you to test.
post #6736 of 6739 Old Today, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Thanks, it was your review that pushed me into ordering it. Any plans to review the the new ULS-15 mk2? I think Hsu would be doing themselves a great favor by bringing one over for you to test.
I'm a music-first guy and am totally in love with my pair or ULS-15 MK2's! Since adding them to my system (and so far just running Audyssey MultEQ XT32) it has never sounded better.
jd10ac likes this.

Vizio M80-C3 TV, Xfinity X1 DVR, Denon AVR-X7200WA Receiver, Odyssey HT-3 Plus Amplifier, Infinity Prelude MTS Towers + Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s subs (mains), Infinity Prelude MTS (center), Infinity Kappa Surrounds (side & rear), Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray, HSU ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive subs
post #6737 of 6739 Old Today, 06:13 PM

I am honestly afraid to run Audyssey because of how good this thing is sounding straight out of the box.
post #6738 of 6739 Old Today, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, it was your review that pushed me into ordering it.
I'm happy I was able to assist with your purchase. I suspect that you'll find a lot of the same qualities I did as time goes on.

Quote:
Any plans to review the the new ULS-15 mk2? I think Hsu would be doing themselves a great favor by bringing one over for you to test.
You'll never guess what's sitting 10 feet from me as I type this.

I'm listening to an 5.1 XTZ Cinema Series system right now, so that will be my next review. After that comes the JTR Captivator 1400, followed by the ULS. Stay tuned...

post #6739 of 6739 Old Today, 06:25 PM

Mr Wilson, please let us/me know when the review is out on the ULS. I had a competitors 15" sealed sub that really impressed me and I am curious how the Hsu will stack up. I feel it should really be a good seller given its price to performance ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page