***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 245Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #7051 of 7079 Unread 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Member
 
DaDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post

And the other thing, how do get this thing up the stairs? Will this work? LOL


I had to laugh when I saw this as I received the VTF-3 MK5 HP and pulled out my hand truck to bring it upstairs. One thing I determined was angle of ascent up stairs may leave the hand truck to upright if it's one person. I was able to have someone guide the handle up as I grabbed the bottom of the hand truck and basically lifted it up, one step at a time (it was my grand daughter helping). If it's just you I suggest tying it to the hand truck so it doesn't topple off.
DaDaddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7052 of 7079 Unread 07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
I purchased a VTF-15H MK2 that just shipped. This is my first time owning a HSU product. It will be going into a computer room that is roughly 1400 cu. ft. on the 2nd floor of a colonial. Currently I am using two subs in this room, an Emotiva X-Ref 12 and an Emotiva Ultra Sub 10. They have been OK but not exactly chest thumpers. The other problem has been that because of everything else in the room placement has not been ideal so from where I'm sitting you don't get the most effect. Well, I guess something just snapped in me and I decided to put another sub in a spot that I never thought I would and went with this 15" big boy. The price/performance ratio was the best, the finish was exactly what I wanted, and the dimensions were just right. And for me, personally, DIY was not an option. Other gear includes an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC, XPA-200 2ch amp, and a pair of Polk Monitor40s. I listen to all kinds of music and I wanted to kick it up a notch without looking back and saying "maybe I should have went bigger." I think this is about as big of a sub as I can comfortably live with in this room. Other considerations included the SVS PC13-ULTRA, PB-2000, PB12-PLUS, Rythmik FV15HP, PSA V1500, etc. I was not really considering a sealed sub (even though this is mainly for music) simply because I wanted the most SPL I could get. So I'm going to give it a shot when I get it next week and worst case scenario I'll put it in my HT to replace one of the MFW-15s that just went out on me for the last time (domed capacitor repair didn't work this time). But for the HT I'll probably go with dual JTR Cap 1400s at some point down the road. Now, the question is going to be whether to keep the other two Emotiva subs in the system or remove them. I live across the country 2300 miles away so I hope it doesn't get beat up in the shipping.

And the other thing, how do get this thing up the stairs? Will this work? LOL

Highly recommend that but with an able person at bottom of dolly to slowly stair climb and in case you need to rest or lose balance.
ChromeJob likes this.
pukemon is offline  
post #7053 of 7079 Unread 07-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Member
 
counterpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDaddy View Post
If it's just you I suggest tying it to the hand truck so it doesn't topple off.
Yeah I figured as much, thanks for the tip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Highly recommend that but with an able person at bottom of dolly to slowly stair climb and in case you need to rest or lose balance.
That's what little brothers are for.
counterpoint is offline  
post #7054 of 7079 Unread 08-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
purplerain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
Does HSU have coupon codes/promotional codes? I see before checkout, the have that option
Anyone?

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY - PIONEER KRP-500M* 
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers - (1) Monitor Audio RX center - (2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds - (1) NAD T758 AVR - (1) Sub is pending
purplerain is offline  
post #7055 of 7079 Unread 08-06-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,317
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
I'm not aware of any, but I don't subscribe to any of their newsletters either (I'm just assuming they have a newsletter).

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #7056 of 7079 Unread 08-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I'm not aware of any, but I don't subscribe to any of their newsletters either (I'm just assuming they have a newsletter).

Afaik, no coupons and even calling doesn't net a discount. I am guessingssing you get better deal only on sales like holidays or buying speaker packages with a couple of subs, on top of being close to.california. otherwise, I don't think there are any deals or coupons. I tried with no luck.
pukemon is offline  
post #7057 of 7079 Unread 08-08-2016, 08:42 AM
Member
 
richardbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
Anyone?
Pretty sure any discounts/sales are featured only in the middle of the Hsu homepage: http://www.hsuresearch.com
richardbk is offline  
post #7058 of 7079 Unread 08-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Member
 
richardbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't find dedicated Hsu speaker thread…

Hey mods, I love hearing comments about Hsu loudspeakers, but all I find here is talk of their subwoofers! Where can I find the Official HSU owners/support thread for SPEAKERS (like the Official owners' support threads for KEF, Energy, Klipsch, Pioneer and ELAC speakers)?

Thanks!
richardbk is offline  
post #7059 of 7079 Unread 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Have you checked out the actual HSU web site forum?

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/index.php
deano86 is online now  
post #7060 of 7079 Unread 08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Member
 
richardbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks and yes, I go there regularly. But it's a very quiet forum, not much discussion going on there.
richardbk is offline  
post #7061 of 7079 Unread 08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
Anyone?
We don't really use promo codes/coupons, but we do have some sales going on for some of our subs. It is listed on the main page as stated earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post
Hey mods, I love hearing comments about Hsu loudspeakers, but all I find here is talk of their subwoofers! Where can I find the Official HSU owners/support thread for SPEAKERS (like the Official owners' support threads for KEF, Energy, Klipsch, Pioneer and ELAC speakers)?

Thanks!
Feel free to post any questions here about our speakers. I will most likely create a thread in the speaker section soon.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is offline  
post #7062 of 7079 Unread 08-18-2016, 05:55 AM
c3k
Member
 
c3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've done a search, and looked at the HSU website specs, but I'm still confused: why would I purchase a VTF-3 MK5 HP instead of a VTF-15H MK2? The price difference is negligible at $800 vs. $900 for black. (If $100 is a make or break difference, then I wouldn't think an $800 sub would be in the budget. YMMV.)

They use the same driver and the same BASH amp, as far as I can tell. The enclosures are similar in size, with a just a 1/2" to 1" difference. The charted curves seem similar enough that my room would make more of a difference than what exists between the two models of subwoofer.

I'm in the market to replace my Polk 12" sub for a large room (a bit over 6,000 ft^3; 750 sq.ft. with 8 to 9 foot ceilings). Getting one HSU now and a second later would seem to be what I, err, "need".

Flipping it around, why would I pay extra for the VTF-15H MK2 when the VTF-3 MK5 HP can do the same job for $100 less?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Ken
c3k is offline  
post #7063 of 7079 Unread 08-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3k View Post
I've done a search, and looked at the HSU website specs, but I'm still confused: why would I purchase a VTF-3 MK5 HP instead of a VTF-15H MK2? The price difference is negligible at $800 vs. $900 for black. (If $100 is a make or break difference, then I wouldn't think an $800 sub would be in the budget. YMMV.)

They use the same driver and the same BASH amp, as far as I can tell. The enclosures are similar in size, with a just a 1/2" to 1" difference. The charted curves seem similar enough that my room would make more of a difference than what exists between the two models of subwoofer.

I'm in the market to replace my Polk 12" sub for a large room (a bit over 6,000 ft^3; 750 sq.ft. with 8 to 9 foot ceilings). Getting one HSU now and a second later would seem to be what I, err, "need".

Flipping it around, why would I pay extra for the VTF-15H MK2 when the VTF-3 MK5 HP can do the same job for $100 less?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,


Ken
The VTF-15h has higher SPL output and a flatter response than the VTF-3, mostly noticeable at the highest and lowers frequencies of their capabilities. It takes a lot more work and engineering to get a higher SPL at lower frequencies.

The other difference is that they do not use the exact same amp, the VTF-15h allows for XLR inputs which can give you a cleaner sound then a standard Coaxial subwoofer input, provided you have already spent the thousands of dollars for an AMP that can give you the benefit that the XLR cables can give over Coax and standard speaker wire.


Edit: It is worth it if you really want that extra SPL at 15hz (~5db) or if you have already invested enough in your audio system to benefit from the XLR inputs. If neither of these cases fit your needs/wants then don't bother with the more expensive sub.
raistline is offline  
post #7064 of 7079 Unread 08-18-2016, 07:42 AM
c3k
Member
 
c3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
The VTF-15h has higher SPL output and a flatter response than the VTF-3, mostly noticeable at the highest and lowers frequencies of their capabilities. It takes a lot more work and engineering to get a higher SPL at lower frequencies.

The other difference is that they do not use the exact same amp, the VTF-15h allows for XLR inputs which can give you a cleaner sound then a standard Coaxial subwoofer input, provided you have already spent the thousands of dollars for an AMP that can give you the benefit that the XLR cables can give over Coax and standard speaker wire.


Edit: It is worth it if you really want that extra SPL at 15hz (~5db) or if you have already invested enough in your audio system to benefit from the XLR inputs. If neither of these cases fit your needs/wants then don't bother with the more expensive sub.
Raistline,

Thanks for the quick, and helpful, response! For the record, XLR inputs are beyond my need, budget, and ability to use.

Ken

Edited to add: whichever way I choose, the sub will be replacing a Polk PSW450. I'm thinking the HSU will sound a bit better.

Last edited by c3k; 08-18-2016 at 11:52 AM.
c3k is offline  
post #7065 of 7079 Unread 08-19-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
The VTF-15h has higher SPL output and a flatter response than the VTF-3, mostly noticeable at the highest and lowers frequencies of their capabilities. It takes a lot more work and engineering to get a higher SPL at lower frequencies.

The other difference is that they do not use the exact same amp, the VTF-15h allows for XLR inputs which can give you a cleaner sound then a standard Coaxial subwoofer input, provided you have already spent the thousands of dollars for an AMP that can give you the benefit that the XLR cables can give over Coax and standard speaker wire.


Edit: It is worth it if you really want that extra SPL at 15hz (~5db) or if you have already invested enough in your audio system to benefit from the XLR inputs. If neither of these cases fit your needs/wants then don't bother with the more expensive sub.
Do you know if the middle end Denons have XLR? x3200, x3300, x4200, x4300?
Viche is offline  
post #7066 of 7079 Unread 08-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Do you know if the middle end Denons have XLR? x3200, x3300, x4200, x4300?
They absolutely do not. For whatever reason Denon has stopped producing Receivers, and everything else with the XLR connections

To use XLR this nowadays you will need go with multi-component Hi-Fi equipment by the likes of Marrantz and Mcintosh (not the PC company).

Your options will be:

A/V processing unit with equalizer-> A mutli-channel DAC/AMP -> speakers.

A/V processing unit with equalizer-> DAC/AMP units for each speaker/pair -> Speakers

And if you want to go really nuts you can add a pre-amp equalizer in there as well. A/V processing unit -> Pre-Amp Equalizer -> DAC/AMP units for each speaker/pair -> Speakers

You can also go with an absolutely insane setup and have an A/V processing unit -> DAC unit -> Pre-AMP equalizer -> Amp-> Speaker.

The XLR connections will typically sit between the the equalizing unit and the Amp.

Marrantz does still have a pair of all in one AVRs (A/V processing, DAC, Equalizer) that has XLR connections that that you can connect to an amp and have less equipment. Model numbers AV8802A and AV7702mkII that cost $4,000 and $2,200 respectively.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Product...Id=AVSeparates
raistline is offline  
post #7067 of 7079 Unread 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
They absolutely do not. For whatever reason Denon has stopped producing Receivers, and everything else with the XLR connections

To use XLR this nowadays you will need go with multi-component Hi-Fi equipment by the likes of Marrantz and Mcintosh (not the PC company).

Your options will be:

A/V processing unit with equalizer-> A mutli-channel DAC/AMP -> speakers.

A/V processing unit with equalizer-> DAC/AMP units for each speaker/pair -> Speakers

And if you want to go really nuts you can add a pre-amp equalizer in there as well. A/V processing unit -> Pre-Amp Equalizer -> DAC/AMP units for each speaker/pair -> Speakers

You can also go with an absolutely insane setup and have an A/V processing unit -> DAC unit -> Pre-AMP equalizer -> Amp-> Speaker.

The XLR connections will typically sit between the the equalizing unit and the Amp.

Marrantz does still have a pair of all in one AVRs (A/V processing, DAC, Equalizer) that has XLR connections that that you can connect to an amp and have less equipment. Model numbers AV8802A and AV7702mkII that cost $4,000 and $2,200 respectively.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Product...Id=AVSeparates
Thanks. What percent improvement in sound does that connection get you?
Viche is offline  
post #7068 of 7079 Unread 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Thanks. What percent improvement in sound does that connection get you?
I could not even begin to tell you. I don't have the budget to find out. You may want to start a new thread under Audio Theory to figure that one out.
raistline is offline  
post #7069 of 7079 Unread 08-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hey you guys, On my vtf15 mk2 I noticed a very low humming sound around 12 o'clock and beyond the volume level.keep in mind this is with no audio source/LFE being played. Sub cable were swapped out and the hum was preset.Even after unplugging the cable I still can hear it.I would like to no is this normal or do i have a amp problem.Really its a low hum with a windy sound like you hear when the wind is coming thru a closed door.You can only hear if you put your ear to the sub.

Last edited by Daddyduke; 08-21-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Daddyduke is offline  
post #7070 of 7079 Unread 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
raistline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MidWest
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyduke View Post
Hey you guys, On my vtf15 mk2 I noticed a very low humming sound around 12 o'clock and beyond the volume level.keep in mind this is with no audio source/LFE being played. Sub cable were swapped out and the hum was preset.Even after unplugging the cable I still can hear it.I would like to no is this normal or do i have a amp problem.Really its a low hum with a windy sound like you hear when the wind is coming thru a closed door.You can only hear if you put your ear to the sub.
Sounds like you have a ground loop somewhere. I had the same issue when I lived at my last house. The cause oddly enough was the Comcast Cable Modem, or more specifically the coax cable from the hub to my house. It had been driving me nuts for weeks until I finally decided to unplug everything in my audio home theater system 1 by one until it was gone.

The funny thing is that the hum was present even when I had nothing connected to my receiver. It ground loop came from the coax cable, to the cable modem and traveled through my electrical and into my SUB. Shortly afterwards I canceled my cable service and got Satellite and never had the problem again once I cut the coax that was feeding into my house.

The issue could still be your amp but it is not as likely as you'd expect. Additional note is that you really should not have your sub turned up that high. Between 9 and 10 o'clock give you the results you need.
raistline is offline  
post #7071 of 7079 Unread Today, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Mr.Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it important to match subwoofer characteristics in the same manner we match L/C/R channel speakers?

I currently have an HSU VTF-3 MK3 that i purchased about 7 years ago, and a Mirage Omni S-10. These subs were used in separate areas until we moved and I brought them together into the same HT space. Together they are awesome. For some reason, the HSU alone seems anemic???

My plan is to move the Mirage to garage duty with a pair of bookshelf speakers (the computer speakers I have been using are not up to the task), and purchase either 2 new subs, or a single replacement for the Mirage. In the end, I want to continue with 2 subs.

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing two SVS PB-1000/2000 or a single HSU (either the VTF-3 MK5 or VTF-15H MK2). Will the HSU be a better choice over 2 SVS subs?

Our space is a bit oddly shaped. It's not a dedicated HT but more like a basement entertainment space.

It's in a finished basement (carpeted floor) basically an "L" shape with 2 doors and a partially boxed in staircase. The HT area is basically the smaller portion of the "L". The stair case does not have a door that can be closed. If my calculations are correct, it's about 4200 cubic feet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mr.Lawrence; Today at 08:08 AM.
Mr.Lawrence is offline  
post #7072 of 7079 Unread Today, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Have you considered 2 hsu 2mk5s? I'd consider 2 good less powerful subs than 1 awesome sub. Makes a huge difference when more than one even though the hsu 3.5 and vtf15 are great singles.
pukemon is offline  
post #7073 of 7079 Unread Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,317
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
I currently have an HSU VTF-3 MK3 that i purchased about 7 years ago, and a Mirage Omni S-10. These subs were used in separate areas until we moved and I brought them together into the same HT space. Together they are awesome. For some reason, the HSU alone seems anemic???

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing two SVS PB-1000/2000 or a single HSU (either the VTF-3 MK5 or VTF-15H MK2). Will the HSU be a better choice over 2 SVS subs?

It's in a finished basement (carpeted floor) basically an "L" shape with 2 doors and a partially boxed in staircase. The HT area is basically the smaller portion of the "L". The stair case does not have a door that can be closed. If my calculations are correct, it's about 4200 cubic feet.
The true value for multiple subs is in placement and tuning. If you don't have freedom to accommodate the former, and are uncomfortable doing the latter, a single large unit will generally be a better choice. Are you able to place subwoofers in multiple locations, or is it pretty much just one or two spots?

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #7074 of 7079 Unread Today, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Mr.Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
The true value for multiple subs is in placement and tuning. If you don't have freedom to accommodate the former, and are uncomfortable doing the latter, a single large unit will generally be a better choice. Are you able to place subwoofers in multiple locations, or is it pretty much just one or two spots?
I have some flexibility for subwoofer location. Everything is pretty much confined to the one area because I was afraid guest/visitors might fiddle with switches, spill beverages and that kind of thing.

Currently, my subs along the wall on the right side of the HT space and reside on the left and right side of a generously sized love seat. Facing the screen is a matching full sized sofa.

The current setup and placement sounds great. Definitely a "seismic" experience.

I have a Denon X4000 AVR and use it for all adjustments, then add a little volume to the subs.
Mr.Lawrence is offline  
post #7075 of 7079 Unread Today, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
pukemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
I have some flexibility for subwoofer location. Everything is pretty much confined to the one area because I was afraid guest/visitors might fiddle with switches, spill beverages and that kind of thing.

Currently, my subs along the wall on the right side of the HT space and reside on the left and right side of a generously sized love seat. Facing the screen is a matching full sized sofa.

The current setup and placement sounds great. Definitely a "seismic" experience.

I have a Denon X4000 AVR and use it for all adjustments, then add a little volume to the subs.
You could always consider corner loading it stacked if you're concerned about kids, pets or curious people messing with your switches and settings. It worked great for me at my last apartment and saved some space. The backside was protected from prying hands too. Might consider that but doesn't always work. I am about to get some new speakers and might try stacking subs to get more space out of my living room. Both subs are not in ideal spot and the very very few spots I have room for probably won't work either. So coupling the subs probably won't help.
pukemon is offline  
post #7076 of 7079 Unread Today, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Mr.Lawrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MARYLAND
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
Have you considered 2 hsu 2mk5s? I'd consider 2 good less powerful subs than 1 awesome sub. Makes a huge difference when more than one even though the hsu 3.5 and vtf15 are great singles.
I assume you meant to type 2MK4, unless there's a model not shown on the HSU website. I probably was not very clear with my rambling... I plan to have 2 subs. The question is do I add one to the HSU that I already have, or purchase 2 subs starting from scratch.

If I keep the HSU, does the new sub need to match it sonically?
Mr.Lawrence is offline  
post #7077 of 7079 Unread Today, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 6,317
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
I have some flexibility for subwoofer location. Everything is pretty much confined to the one area because I was afraid guest/visitors might fiddle with switches, spill beverages and that kind of thing.

Currently, my subs along the wall on the right side of the HT space and reside on the left and right side of a generously sized love seat. Facing the screen is a matching full sized sofa.
The only way to know if the available locations will work from a performance/SQ perspective would be to measure them or do something called the 'subwoofer crawl'. The words "confined to one area" suggest placement options might be somewhat limited, and if so perhaps one larger sub would be easier to integrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
I have a Denon X4000 AVR and use it for all adjustments, then add a little volume to the subs.
When I mentioned tuning I wasn't actually referring to this. That's a start, but there's a bit more to it than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
The question is do I add one to the HSU that I already have, or purchase 2 subs starting from scratch.

If I keep the HSU, does the new sub need to match it sonically?
There's less variation between subwoofers than speakers, but it's always best to try and match as closely as possible.

One other thing to consider is your current HSU is 7 years old, which is middle aged for a subwoofer. Depending upon usage and care, it might not have too many years of service left.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #7078 of 7079 Unread Today, 07:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm strongly considering buying a second VTF-3 MK5 to use as dual subwoofers. Does anyone have any experience listening with one VTF-3 MK5 and then adding a second matching unit later on? How much of an improvement did you notice once you had finished with all the settings, adjustments, tunings, etc? Is it worth getting a 2nd one?
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan is online now  
post #7079 of 7079 Unread Today, 11:34 PM
Member
 
Lube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post
Hey mods, I love hearing comments about Hsu loudspeakers, but all I find here is talk of their subwoofers! Where can I find the Official HSU owners/support thread for SPEAKERS (like the Official owners' support threads for KEF, Energy, Klipsch, Pioneer and ELAC speakers)?

Thanks!
I own a hsu sub as well as their HB-1 MkII speakers.

The sub is amazing. The speakers are better than anything I have heard in this price range and anything below $1000. That is my experience to date. I drove to their warehouse and listened to them years ago. I walked out with a set and till this day I get a smile when listening to them. I use their speakers in conjunction with a Velodyne CT-150 sub and HK3490 stereo. The music is sublime. The mids are to die for. The horns are not harsh and sound amazing.

That is all I have to say on that.
Lube is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off