***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 252Likes
post #7081 of 7098 Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post

Hi Jerry,

That really depends from person to person. Each room/setup is different, so while we've certainly heard many of our customers having experiences where it made a drastic difference, we've also heard instances where the person's experience was a bit more nuanced, but still an improvement nonetheless. A good way to go about it is to take measurements of your response in room. Feel free to email us at sales@hsuresearch.com and we would be happy to go over your results with you, figure out what you're looking for, and see if a second sub may be a good route to take.
Yeah, that's a good idea about the measurements. I'll have to go buy some measuring equipment or something like that. Just a little info about my room: I've got a rectangular 24ft x 14ft x 9.5ft high room with the TV, front speakers, and subwoofer on the 14ft side. The room has been acoustically treated with a few panels. The VTF-3 MK5 is between the left tower speaker and the center speaker, as Dr. Hsu recommended. Subwoofer settings are at one port open, EQ1, 0 phase, Q control 0.7, and using receiver for bass management. I would say the sound quality of the bass is about a 7.5 to 8 (very good). I'd love to hit a 10 with a 2nd subwoofer if possible. 10 = smooth, powerful, tight, loud but controlled, distributed evenly from left to right & front to back with no localization. I'm hoping to upgrade my surround speakers to the GoldenEar Aon 3s and set them (along with all my other speakers to 80Hz crossover). My current surrounds are too small and are set to 120Hz crossover. Once my new speakers are set up, I'll have the LFE filter at 80Hz as well in the bass management setup on my receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7098 Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
Yeah, that's a good idea about the measurements. I'll have to go buy some measuring equipment or something like that. Just a little info about my room: I've got a rectangular 24ft x 14ft x 9.5ft high room with the TV, front speakers, and subwoofer on the 14ft side. The room has been acoustically treated with a few panels. The VTF-3 MK5 is between the left tower speaker and the center speaker, as Dr. Hsu recommended. Subwoofer settings are at one port open, EQ1, 0 phase, Q control 0.7, and using receiver for bass management. I would say the sound quality of the bass is about a 7.5 to 8 (very good). I'd love to hit a 10 with a 2nd subwoofer if possible. 10 = smooth, powerful, tight, loud but controlled, distributed evenly from left to right & front to back with no localization. I'm hoping to upgrade my surround speakers to the GoldenEar Aon 3s and set them (along with all my other speakers to 80Hz crossover). My current surrounds are too small and are set to 120Hz crossover. Once my new speakers are set up, I'll have the LFE filter at 80Hz as well in the bass management setup on my receiver.
Hey JBF,

I see. One thing you could look into as an investment is a dBSPL meter. We have compensation numbers for one of the radio shack analog dBSPL (sound level) meters in our manual. You can probably find that through ebay for $20-$30 used. You can use that with our test CD, that we include with your sub, to take measurements at your seating position to give you an idea as to the sub response in room. If you want to take it a step further, you can always go the route I briefly explained to Mr. Lawrence. You can look into getting a USB mic, like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 ($100 or so), and use that with the free program, REW, to get a more complete picture of the sub response in room.

Did you send a diagram of your room layout to Dr. Hsu?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7083 of 7098 Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Hey JBF,

I see. One thing you could look into as an investment is a dBSPL meter. We have compensation numbers for one of the radio shack analog dBSPL (sound level) meters in our manual. You can probably find that through ebay for $20-$30 used. You can use that with our test CD, that we include with your sub, to take measurements at your seating position to give you an idea as to the sub response in room. If you want to take it a step further, you can always go the route I briefly explained to Mr. Lawrence. You can look into getting a USB mic, like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 ($100 or so), and use that with the free program, REW, to get a more complete picture of the sub response in room.

Did you send a diagram of your room layout to Dr. Hsu?
Thanks, Kevin. I'll look into the dBSPL meter. Yes, I sent a diagram to Dr. Hsu, who then recommended I move the subwoofer from the corner of the room to its current spot.
post #7084 of 7098 Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Kevin. I'll look into the dBSPL meter. Yes, I sent a diagram to Dr. Hsu, who then recommended I move the subwoofer from the corner of the room to its current spot.
Thanks! I'll see if Dr. Hsu can forward that over to me as well.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7085 of 7098 Old 09-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll see if Dr. Hsu can forward that over to me as well.
Sounds good. If I do make a purchase, it'll most likely be around Thanksgiving, since that's the same time last year that I bought the first subwoofer at the Black Friday sale price. Hopefully, you guys will be repeating that this year. Also, I can re-email you my diagram (before I relocated the subwoofer) to techsupport@hsuresearch.com
post #7086 of 7098 Old 09-03-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. If I do make a purchase, it'll most likely be around Thanksgiving, since that's the same time last year that I bought the first subwoofer at the Black Friday sale price. Hopefully, you guys will be repeating that this year. Also, I can re-email you my diagram (before I relocated the subwoofer) to techsupport@hsuresearch.com
I'm not sure if that will be on sale for Black Friday. You can certainly email to me directly at sales@hsuresearch.com, if you would like.
ChromeJob likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7087 of 7098 Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my VTF3-MK5---Setup issues

I just got my VTF3-MK2. But it's got some issues:

---Most people recommend about a "9 o'clock" on the sub volume. I can't put mine any higher than halfway (noon), or it starts going crazy, like a helicopter blade (whoomp-whoomp) sound. I'm listening at 40-45 volume out of 100, so not that loud.

---I turned the "q" control all the way down, that seems to help
---I have the 4" port unplugged
---I'm running it on an Onkyo TX-NR636 (can't find the audio puck/mic)
---Room size is small, sealed at 14x11x8
---Running crossover at 80; but will change that to be controlled by the receiver (as I see that's what's recommended elsewhere on this forum). But I'm sure that's not related to this issue.
---EQ1

Any suggestions?
I called Tech support Fri, but they were unavail.
post #7088 of 7098 Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingloriousbasterd! View Post
---Most people recommend about a "9 o'clock" on the sub volume. I can't put mine any higher than halfway (noon), or it starts going crazy, like a helicopter blade (whoomp-whoomp) sound. I'm listening at 40-45 volume out of 100, so not that loud.
There is no standard/approved setting for the gain, so don't worry about setting it higher if your situation warrants.

The sound you're hear is definitely not right though. Does it happen if the sub is not connected to your receiver?

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7089 of 7098 Old 09-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
There is no standard/approved setting for the gain, so don't worry about setting it higher if your situation warrants.

The sound you're hear is definitely not right though. Does it happen if the sub is not connected to your receiver?
Quote:
No, it only happens at certain times during the movie.
post #7090 of 7098 Old 09-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
@ Inglorious...I think you are misunderstanding what 9 O'Clock means. 12 O'Clock is straight up and 90 degrees part 9 O'Clock, which points directly to the left.
post #7091 of 7098 Old 09-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingloriousbasterd! View Post
I just got my VTF3-MK2. But it's got some issues:

---I turned the "q" control all the way down, that seems to help
---I have the 4" port unplugged
---I'm running it on an Onkyo TX-NR636 (can't find the audio puck/mic)
---Room size is small, sealed at 14x11x8
---Running crossover at 80; but will change that to be controlled by the receiver (as I see that's what's recommended elsewhere on this forum). But I'm sure that's not related to this issue.
---EQ1

Any suggestions?
I called Tech support Fri, but they were unavail.
Hi there,

9 o'clock should be lower than noon. What are your channel level settings on the receiver? If you just purchased and received the VTF-3 Mk5 HP, 12 o'clock (dial pointing straight up) should be OK. Please feel free to give us a call before 5:00 PM pacific time, and ask for Leo. He'll help you diagnose it further and figure out what the cause of that is.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7092 of 7098 Unread 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is the VTF-2 MK4 sub worth the money?

I am still on the fence about several subwoofers. The VTF-2 MK4 is one on my list. I like the idea that it has variable tuning. I listen to music, play games, and dvd movies in about that order. My room is 1120 square feet. This is just for a 2.1 setup, not a home theater. I am looking for something that is good, but it doesn't have to be great. My budget is around $500. If there are any owners of this sub who are happy with it and think it's worth the purchase, I will consider it. Thanks.
post #7093 of 7098 Unread 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxxx View Post
I am still on the fence about several subwoofers. The VTF-2 MK4 is one on my list. I like the idea that it has variable tuning. I listen to music, play games, and dvd movies in about that order. My room is 1120 square feet. This is just for a 2.1 setup, not a home theater. I am looking for something that is good, but it doesn't have to be great. My budget is around $500. If there are any owners of this sub who are happy with it and think it's worth the purchase, I will consider it. Thanks.
Hi Raxxx,

Sorry for the late response. 1120 sq/ft is a pretty large room to adequately pressurize. The VTF-2 Mk4 may end up struggle a bit to give you a suitable amount of output. Do you have a diagram of your room layout that you can send to sales@hsuresearch.com? I would usually recommend at least the ULS-15 MK2 or VTF-3 Mk5 HP for that room.

Also, just a quick announcement, we have now released the VTF-1 Mk3 subwoofer! The VTF-1 Mk3 improves on the performance of the, already well reviewed, VTF-1 Mk2 at a lower price point. It now is a front firing design and features a 250w continuous amp. More information here:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=96032
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html
raxxx likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7094 of 7098 Unread 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hi Raxxx,

Sorry for the late response. 1120 sq/ft is a pretty large room to adequately pressurize. The VTF-2 Mk4 may end up struggle a bit to give you a suitable amount of output. Do you have a diagram of your room layout that you can send to sales@hsuresearch.com? I would usually recommend at least the ULS-15 MK2 or VTF-3 Mk5 HP for that room.

Also, just a quick announcement, we have now released the VTF-1 Mk3 subwoofer! The VTF-1 Mk3 improves on the performance of the, already well reviewed, VTF-1 Mk2 at a lower price point. It now is a front firing design and features a 250w continuous amp. More information here:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=96032
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html
I made a major goof. I meant 1120 cubic feet! So a rather small room.
post #7095 of 7098 Unread Today, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
@ Inglorious...I think you are misunderstanding what 9 O'Clock means. 12 O'Clock is straight up and 90 degrees part 9 O'Clock, which points directly to the left.
Duh-mb...

Thanks for this. The subwoofer is too tall for my screen, so it lays sideways. And while I was saying 9 'oclock I was thinking "9 out of 12". Which appears to be the issue. I'm going to set up the receiver with the mic and see if that helps get it dialed. Thus far I don't notice much difference between the old sub and the new one.
post #7096 of 7098 Unread Today, 06:42 PM

HsuKevin,

I'm just curious about this. If someone wanted to hook up 4 subwoofers in a single home theater room, is it possible with HSU subwoofers? I'm assuming you can either daisy chain them with the XLR input/outputs and also by using XLR splitters. Most receivers/preamps have 2 subwoofer preouts or outlets, so I bet you can do a 1-to-2 split on each of the subwoofer preouts either with RCA or XLRs. Also, which method would get you better results? Daisy-chaining or splitting in parallel? Also, I hear some people using digital wireless methods or something like that?

The most I'd ever do is probably only 2 subwoofers, but I just thought it would be ridiculously awesome to have 4 VTF-15 MK2s in a single HT room (2 in front and 2 in back to cover all spots in the room, especially if it was large room). Also, the house might crash down from the rumbling, LOL!
raxxx likes this.
post #7097 of 7098 Unread Today, 08:19 PM

Quote:
HsuKevin,

I'm just curious about this. If someone wanted to hook up 4 subwoofers in a single home theater room, is it possible with HSU subwoofers? I'm assuming you can either daisy chain them with the XLR input/outputs and also by using XLR splitters. Most receivers/preamps have 2 subwoofer preouts or outlets, so I bet you can do a 1-to-2 split on each of the subwoofer preouts either with RCA or XLRs. Also, which method would get you better results? Daisy-chaining or splitting in parallel? Also, I hear some people using digital wireless methods or something like that?

The most I'd ever do is probably only 2 subwoofers, but I just thought it would be ridiculously awesome to have 4 VTF-15 MK2s in a single HT room (2 in front and 2 in back to cover all spots in the room, especially if it was large room). Also, the house might crash down from the rumbling, LOL!
If you do this , just report back to us about how awesome it is
post #7098 of 7098 Unread Today, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxxx View Post
If you do this , just report back to us about how awesome it is
Lol, I will. With just a single VTF-3 MK5 HP, I feel like the vases in my house are already getting scared! I can't imagine four VTF-15 MK2s. Probably won't make any new friends in the neighborhood unless they step into the HT room. Hahaha.
raxxx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt