***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 368Likes

post #7291 of 7309 Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Just finished Arrival and what a treat the sound and movie is! Let the credits roll and listen/feel the soundtrack too! I rented this and it has the 7.1 lossless sound thankfully. This is one I will buy and I will buy the soundtrack!
My Arrival UHD HDR disk arrived from Amazon this afternoon. It was a blind buy so I am really looking forward to seeing it.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7309 Old 02-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Man, I really want a 15h mkii but I would have to vaseline that thing up to get it to fit in my space...
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7293 of 7309 Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
My Arrival UHD HDR disk arrived from Amazon this afternoon. It was a blind buy so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

I think you will like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7294 of 7309 Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Vtf3-mk5 shipped today. Replacing dual sunfire sds12 in my living room system. Always wanted to try a hsu subwoofer. Theater room subs are all diy stereo integrity ht18 in mini Marty, but wife approved the look of the hsu for living room duty.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Getting things ready for a new theater room build at the new house.
Equipment so far- (8) SI HT18 mini martys, speakerpower SP2-12000, Denon 4311ci (will replace), MINIDSP 10x10HD, Crown CT8150, Oppo BDP-103D, (8)JBL 8320 , (3) EV EKX12 , Crestron CP3N control system, iso clips/Roxul
TBD- Projector, AT Screen, in room acoustics,
post #7295 of 7309 Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I think you will like it!
I really did like Arrival in UHD HDR. The only knock on it is that it has a very dark palate. At first, I feared that might have been caused by the HDR10 implementation by my TV. It wasn't though. Today, I watched it again, this time using the 1080p BD. Although it may have been a bit brighter than the UHD HDR version, it was still very dark. I think all of that was the director's intent. Much of the film portrays rainy or foggy conditions and is also very monochromatic.

As much as I enjoyed every aspect of the film, I was most impressed by its wonderful DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack. It received Oscar nominations for both Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. I am such an Atmos snob that I nearly didn't buy this disk because it didn't have Atmos audio. That would have been a mistake. Arrival has one of the very best soundtracks I have heard, Atmos or no Atmos. The LFE was awe inspiring.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #7296 of 7309 Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I really did like Arrival in UHD HDR. The only knock on it is that it has a very dark palate. At first, I feared that might have been caused by the HDR10 implementation by my TV. It wasn't though. Today, I watched it again, this time using the 1080p BD. Although it may have been a bit brighter than the UHD HDR version, it was still very dark. I think all of that was the director's intent. Much of the film portrays rainy or foggy conditions and is also very monochromatic.

As much as I enjoyed every aspect of the film, I was most impressed by its wonderful DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack. It received Oscar nominations for both Sound Mixing and Sound Editing. I am such an Atmos snob that I nearly didn't buy this disk because it didn't have Atmos audio. That would have been a mistake. Arrival has one of the very best soundtracks I have heard, Atmos or no Atmos. The LFE was awe inspiring.

Very cool and I did notice the grey/dark tone of the film when I saw it at the theater. It looked a bit better at home with the standard BD. The sound is just awesome and I can't believe this didn't get that Atmos treatment! All in all it is a great soundtrack!

gwsat likes this.
post #7297 of 7309 Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just how musical are the VTFs when sealed? Do most of you set them and forget them or are you tweaking it as needed? Love the concept, just not sure how practical it is. Clearly moving these subs (VTF3.5 or bigger) isn't an easy chore, especially when adjusting gain and q control.

Anyone enjoy these subs for both, music and movies? I'm sure they are exceptional for movies, how well do they do for music, tight, accurate bass?

Thanks
BornSlippyZ and ChromeJob like this.
post #7298 of 7309 Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post
Just how musical are the VTFs when sealed? Do most of you set them and forget them or are you tweaking it as needed? Love the concept, just not sure how practical it is. Clearly moving these subs (VTF3.5 or bigger) isn't an easy chore, especially when adjusting gain and q control.

Anyone enjoy these subs for both, music and movies? I'm sure they are exceptional for movies, how well do they do for music, tight, accurate bass?

Thanks

I set my VTF15HMK2 with the one port open for both music and movies. I do watch more movies than music but I have an extensive vinyl collection that includes soundtracks and electronic music. I also have another ported sub behind my couch that is more of a Frankenstein 15" powered by a crown amp. Also my L/Rs are Klipsch KLF20's that have dual 10" woofers. All in all I have enough bass for music with this in a large basement. I am sure I can improve my midbass accuracy but for now I am happy with it.

Some folks really like the sealed (MBM) ULS 15" that HSU sells so that could be an option too.

Zuk109 and ChromeJob like this.
post #7299 of 7309 Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My VTF3.5 is going to be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out. So my guess is if I add a port plug I should rerun ARC on my Anthem? Im thinking I will try it out without the plugs and then try 1 plug and see which one sounds better and then run ARC but I was wondering is it better to try it with room correction since that's how it will be used.
post #7300 of 7309 Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I set my VTF15HMK2 with the one port open for both music and movies. I do watch more movies than music but I have an extensive vinyl collection that includes soundtracks and electronic music. I also have another ported sub behind my couch that is more of a Frankenstein 15" powered by a crown amp. Also my L/Rs are Klipsch KLF20's that have dual 10" woofers. All in all I have enough bass for music with this in a large basement. I am sure I can improve my midbass accuracy but for now I am happy with it.

Some folks really like the sealed (MBM) ULS 15" that HSU sells so that could be an option too.

Thanks BSZ, unfortunately the only bass option for me is the sub. Im ready to replace my satellite system but even then I would probably be going with either bookshelf or towers with 6.5" cones at best.

My listening had always been mostly 90% movies/tv but now that I have a true man cave I've got the itch to enjoy my music again too. I know the SVS PB1000 wasn't ideal for music but with the variable tunning of these subs they are probably as good as it gets to accommodate the best of both worlds.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7301 of 7309 Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
So my guess is if I add a port plug I should rerun ARC on my Anthem?
Whenever you make a configuration change like that you should always re-run room correction.
ChromeJob likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7302 of 7309 Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
My VTF3.5 is going to be here tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out. So my guess is if I add a port plug I should rerun ARC on my Anthem? Im thinking I will try it out without the plugs and then try 1 plug and see which one sounds better and then run ARC but I was wondering is it better to try it with room correction since that's how it will be used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Whenever you make a configuration change like that you should always re-run room correction.

Normally when you make any changes you would want to rerun any room correction, but in this case I don't believe so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

The rationale behind setting the sub to the different modes is this: We want Audyssey to make the room 'disappear' - equalize out the room effects. To do this, we want the subwoofer to have as flat and extended response as possible when measured outdoors (no room effect). Hence set it to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7. Once you have removed the room effect, you can enjoy the different subwoofer characteristics of the different tune for the sub - effects of the Q control, extension, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Sorry for the redundant questions as I know you've been through this before. So by setting the Q at its highest we get higher output which interacts with the room the most? Then scale it back to what you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

No. Not a question of interacting with the room more or less. Interaction with the room stays the same.

With Q at 0.7, response is flattest (lower Q rolls off the deepest bass but sounds tighter). We want the sub to be as flat as possible before running Audyssey so Audyssey is just equalizing the room, not the sub. If you set the Q lower before running Audyssey, Audyssey will try to EQ the sub flat and it no longer sound as tight.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED55B6P ** Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
post #7303 of 7309 Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Normally when you make any changes you would want to rerun any room correction, but in this case I don't believe so:
I'm not sure in what context those excerpts were derived, but if you change the profile of the output response you always want to re-run your room correction. If you don't you'll end up using an EQ curve from a different response, which negates it's effectiveness to a large extent. Plugging/unplugging a port would produce a material difference in the output characteristics, so resetting the EQ would be appropriate.
gwsat likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7304 of 7309 Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I'm not sure in what context those excerpts were derived, but if you change the profile of the output response you always want to re-run your room correction. If you don't you'll end up using an EQ curve from a different response, which negates it's effectiveness to a large extent. Plugging/unplugging a port would produce a material difference in the output characteristics, so resetting the EQ would be appropriate.
Those excerpts are also from the HSU instruction manual...
post #7305 of 7309 Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
The way I understood mjpearce023‘s post was in regards to rerunning ARC each time he changes the sub’s configuration which would nullify the effects of the changes. The posts by the good doctor that I sited, 3910 and 3915 of the VTF-15H thread (The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread , dealt with why, after initial setup with one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, you don’t want to rerun room correction after changing the port config, EQ & Q.

I rushed my post because I'm at work and was running off of one cup of coffee so I may be off base here.
ChromeJob likes this.

LG OLED55B6P ** Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
post #7306 of 7309 Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

I love my VTF-2 Mk4 for music as well as movies. I have aging Bose 401 speakers featuring 5-1/2" woofers aimed at the MLP and side wall. They can do down to 60ish Hz (due to a chamber with tuned port), but get unreliable below about 80 Hz. Adding the Hsu sub and configuring the AVR for bass management (crossing over at 120 Hz, running their test disk made me all googly eyes listening and feeling the bass in the organ symphony selection. I've got it configured with one port open, usually. I just stuffed the second plug in for giggles.

Since then, I've been listening to all sorts of music: The National, The Killers, orchestral and electronic film soundtracks, a LOT of well recorded jazz (e.g. Diana Krall's Stepping Out, Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, Bill Evans Sunday at the Vanguard), and can wholeheartedly say YES, the Hsu is superb for music. Someone already linked to Jim Wilson's review of the ULS-15 (wow, so that's what replaced the MBM in their lineup; I wants one!). I concur with him, it provides the oomph needed for really low and front-position kick drums, and helps out with bass and such. I'm listening to film soundtracks over my Chromecast at the moment, and boy oh boy, the depth is wonderful. OTOH, I watched MIDNIGHT SPECIAL and TRIPLE 9 this past week, and during scenes with some ULF, even with the volume low for late night viewing, the VTF-2 rumbled and tickled me confidently.

Quote:

Some folks really like the sealed (MBM) ULS 15" that Hsu sells so that could be an option too.
See above. I wants one. Too bad I'm so enamored of my VTF-2 that I can't let go.

Quote:
Thanks BSZ, unfortunately the only bass option for me is the sub. Im ready to replace my satellite system but even then I would probably be going with either bookshelf or towers with 6.5" cones at best.

My listening had always been mostly 90% movies/TV but now that I have a true man cave I've got the itch to enjoy my music again too. I know the SVS PB1000 wasn't ideal for music but with the variable tuning of these subs they are probably as good as it gets to accommodate the best of both worlds.
I'd look at the ULS-15 mentioned, but frankly, I can't hear any deficiency in the VTF-2 mk4 (down-firing) that I have. I actually was considering getting a VTF-1 and their discontinued MBM mid-base module but @HsuKevin talked me out of it, convinced me the single VTF-2 would suffice. He was spot on.
Zuk109 and BornSlippyZ like this.

Hey, folks. A 10-line signature on a post of only 3 lines is a joke. Cut your sigs down to no more than 4 lines, 'kay??
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.
post #7307 of 7309 Old Today, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently had an issue with the standby power on my Hsu VTF-3. I was watching Nocturnal Animals the other day (great movie) and the sub kept turning off and on throughout the movie. I could tell because I could see the faint glow of the red or green light indicating off and on. The sub would wake up when there was enough bass, but it went into standby mode several times throughout the movie. Is this normal? Is leaving the sub on all the time a legit solution? I don't want to deal with manually turning the sub on and off when in use. Sub gain is at 12 o'clock (MCACC didn't even detect the sub at the manuals suggested 9 o'clock position), EQ1, Q 0.5.
post #7308 of 7309 Old Today, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

People that are in need of a great movie and great bass movie, Hacksaw Ridge fits the bill perfectly!
gwsat likes this.
post #7309 of 7309 Old Today, 10:52 AM

Quote:
People that are in need of a great movie and great bass movie, Hacksaw Ridge fits the bill perfectly!
Indeed! Not only does Hacksaw Ridge have world class LFE, its TrueHD Atmos soundtrack is the best I have heard yet.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt