***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 404Likes
post #7321 of 7350 Unread 02-24-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I enjoyed the movie but it is a very sad story. (Had not seen it yet) The UHD version looks & sounds great.

Going by what happened in the movie, yep boneheaded decision cost lives and the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7350 Unread 02-24-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I need to buy this one to get the full lossless sound!

Yes, you do!... I assume like me, you may have viewed it first as a Rental version... which thanks to our friends at Lionsgate studios, is limited to the Dolby Digital 5.1.... But, what has been noted on various threads is that the rental version of this movie seems very low and subdued for some reason.... when compared to the Dolby Atmos version .... which really cranks!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7323 of 7350 Unread 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Yes, you do!... I assume like me, you may have viewed it first as a Rental version... which thanks to our friends at Lionsgate studios, is limited to the Dolby Digital 5.1.... But, what has been noted on various threads is that the rental version of this movie seems very low and subdued for some reason.... when compared to the Dolby Atmos version .... which really cranks!
Yep I did! I usually buy movies that I really like but I have been cutting back a bit (selling a home). I will buy this soon enough so I can get the full audio monty. At least I bought the Hacksaw Ridge (Lionsgate release) and that movie is great and pummels with uber low bass!

post #7324 of 7350 Unread 02-28-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Watching U2 iNNOCENCE eXperience BRD, the difference this sub makes is night & day.

Merci beaucoups HSU!

Anthem MRX 720, ELAC F5, SVS Ultra Center, Klipsch R-2650 Sony XBR 75X940D & 75X910C, OPPO BDP-93, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, Hopper 3, HTPC, HSU VTF-15H MK2
post #7325 of 7350 Unread 03-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just wanted to post my excitement in this thread. After much deliberation, I ordered myself a VTF-3 MK5 HP last week! It is scheduled to arrive this Tuesday, and I can't wait! This will be my first "serious" subwoofer, as I am upgrading from my current set-up of dual BIC F12's. I had my heart set on the VTF-15H MK2, but I just didn't have the funds or space for it. I'm hoping the MK5 will offer a noticeable improvement over my 2 F12's.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7326 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 05:34 AM
c3k

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Just ordered a VTF-15H Mk 2. Fingers crossed it'll give me the impact I'm hoping for. Arrives on Thursday...and I leave on a trip the next day.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7327 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3k View Post
Just ordered a VTF-15H Mk 2. Fingers crossed it'll give me the impact I'm hoping for. Arrives on Thursday...and I leave on a trip the next day.
Are you upgrading from something else, or will this be your first subwoofer? If you are upgrading, what do you currently have?
post #7328 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 08:46 AM
c3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarFather View Post
Are you upgrading from something else, or will this be your first subwoofer? If you are upgrading, what do you currently have?
I've got a 15 year old (or more???) Polk PSW-505. It's not the same as the current version 505. Mine is a 12" driver (some sort of BASH amp), with two rear ports. The current 505s are different. It's been good, but I'm looking for more: More depth, more clarity, more "oomph".
post #7329 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Uhhhhhhh, i think the you will get just abit more impact on the new sub
JimWilson and ChromeJob like this.

Dedicated Theater Room: 7.2
SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB
RTIA9 Polk, CSIA6 Polk, FXIA6 Polk / Dual JTR Cap 1400 Black Oak Finish
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Emotiva XMC1, Emotiva 3 channel amp Gen 3, Emotiva 4 channel amp Gen 3
post #7330 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFE Junkie View Post
Uhhhhhhh, i think the you will get just abit more impact on the new sub
Yea, just a touch. I'm betting the next post we see from him is something along the lines of "this thing rocks!"...
ChromeJob likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7331 of 7350 Unread 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I've got a 15 year old (or more???) Polk PSW-505. It's not the same as the current version 505. Mine is a 12" driver (some sort of BASH amp), with two rear ports. The current 505s are different. It's been good, but I'm looking for more: More depth, more clarity, more "oomph".
I had a 12" Mirage sub before I got my 15H MK2 about three months ago. I'm amazed at the difference between the two. The Hsu is a beast. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Oh, and, if you think you're prepared for how big it is, you aren't.
It's huge! You can see how big it is next to the Klipsch tower.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2009689
BornSlippyZ and HsuKevin like this.
post #7332 of 7350 Unread 03-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Update on my VTF3 MKP5 HP that the amp died. Turns out it died due to power surge during a lightning storm (assuming it was during the storm) and surge protector failed to protect. Should get the amp back tomorrow. HSU has been awesome the whole experience through!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #7333 of 7350 Unread 03-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Update on my VTF3 MKP5 HP that the amp died. Turns out it died due to power surge during a lightning storm (assuming it was during the storm) and surge protector failed to protect. Should get the amp back tomorrow. HSU has been awesome the whole experience through!
I haven't had any problems with my sub (I shouldn't, it's only a few months old) but every time I contacted them with questions, they were extremely helpful and took the time to answer my questions. Highly recommended!
boosted330 likes this.
post #7334 of 7350 Unread 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm considering a 5.1.4 HT setup using HB-1 MK2 speakers for LR channels and the HC-1 for center. I already have and SVS PB2000 sub. These speakers will be going in a small to medium sized room (1800 cu ft) that will also include a projector and screen.

Trying to figure out surround and Atmos speakers for this setup.

I would like in-wall surrounds for the WAF. Does anyone have experience with the Hsu in-walls? Should I expect similar performance to the HB-1?

What about Atmos? I have no idea how to match a speaker with a horn tweeter to a typical ceiling speaker which would likely have a silk or aluminum dome tweeter. Getting a reasonably close timbre would seem difficult. I saw in one of the posters sig's that he used Focal ceiling speakers, but those are $600/ea!
post #7335 of 7350 Unread 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM

My VTF-3 MK5 HP arrived yesterday, and boy am I impressed!! First off, it's much bigger in person than in pictures, thing is an absolute beast. I'm now very happy that I went with it over the 15H MK2, as I can now officially say the 15H would not have fit properly. After doing the sub crawl and finding the best position, I ran Audyssey to get everything calibrated. When it was over, it gave a sub trim of -5db which I was satisfied with. That was using the initial set-up settings with the gain at 9 o'clock. I then played around with it for awhile, and eventually raised the gain to my liking which ended up being just shy of 11 o'clock. I really like LOTS of bass, so I found I had to crank it up a bit.

What I was most surprised by was the different port settings. I was fully expecting to use one port mode for max extension as I love hard hitting low bass, but found both ports open to hit very hard down low in my room. So currently I'm running it with both ports open, EQ2, and Q between .5 and .3. I will be experimenting with it more in the days to come, and plan on trying one port plugged again. I do notice a tiny bit of port chuffing at very high volume on low bass around 20hz, but it went away in one port mode.

Needless to say this single 15 destroys my previous set-up of dual BIC F12's. Only downside to the single 15 is a less even response on my couch. I only have a two seat couch, yet in one seat the bass is hotter for sure. With the dual F12's the bass was very even in both seats. But I was half expecting that moving from two subs to one. Looks like another VTF-3.5 may be in store for me in the future, just have to convince the other half. That may be difficult, since the WAF is pretty low on the VTF-3 due to it's size already lol.
HsuKevin likes this.
post #7336 of 7350 Unread 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
I'm considering a 5.1.4 HT setup using HB-1 MK2 speakers for LR channels and the HC-1 for center. I already have and SVS PB2000 sub. These speakers will be going in a small to medium sized room (1800 cu ft) that will also include a projector and screen.

Trying to figure out surround and Atmos speakers for this setup.

I would like in-wall surrounds for the WAF. Does anyone have experience with the Hsu in-walls? Should I expect similar performance to the HB-1?

What about Atmos? I have no idea how to match a speaker with a horn tweeter to a typical ceiling speaker which would likely have a silk or aluminum dome tweeter. Getting a reasonably close timbre would seem difficult. I saw in one of the posters sig's that he used Focal ceiling speakers, but those are $600/ea!
The HIW-1's do use the same drivers as the HB-1 Mk2's. However, they do not have a dedicated enclosure so their performance and response will not quite be the same as the HB-1 Mk2. That being said, for surround usage, they work well. Since the majority of the surround material is different than the main LRC, the timbre difference will likely not be very noticeable. Of course, having them all be the same speaker would be a plus, but I would say that you can still get excellent results with the HIW-1's as your surrounds. We actually use them for that purpose in our audition room. Since the speaker is a horn design, it does have controlled directivity, but it's off axis response would be smoother.

I saw Arrival in the theaters and I really enjoyed the movie. It's next on my to purchase list.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7337 of 7350 Unread 03-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I do notice a tiny bit of port chuffing at very high volume on low bass around 20hz, but it went away in one port mode.
From a novices perspective (which clearly I am) I would of excepted any possible port chuffing in single port mode not both ports open. Why would that be?

Looking at the CEA measurements I was planning on running it with both ports open since single port only seems to have a slight advantage @16hz and dual port mode walks away from single port mode at 25hz and up.
post #7338 of 7350 Unread 03-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post
From a novices perspective (which clearly I am) I would of excepted any possible port chuffing in single port mode not both ports open. Why would that be?

Looking at the CEA measurements I was planning on running it with both ports open since single port only seems to have a slight advantage @16hz and dual port mode walks away from single port mode at 25hz and up.
Not sure the exact reason, but it is what it is. Both ports open at LOUD volume levels with sub 22hz content I can hear slight port chuffing, seal up one port and it goes away. Clearly another benefit of the 15H MK2 as I've read the triangle ports help reduce any chance of that happening. But honestly I rarely ever listen at that volume level, plus I don't come across sub 22hz content in music that often. When playing movie content at the volume required to make the chuffing, everything else is so loud that I cannot hear the ports making noise. It was only when playing some extreme bass test tracks that I could hear it.

Just wanted to make sure, but is just shy of 11 o'clock on the gain safe for the VTF-3 MK5? I rarely listen at reference level, typically staying -10db or so. I really enjoy having powerful bass, but not at the risk of damaging my new baby.
Zuk109 likes this.
post #7339 of 7350 Unread 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

It depends on how much output you're getting at a certain frequency. With two ports open the port tuning is 22 Hz and with one port open, it is 18 Hz. So if you're getting a lot of output around 22 Hz, that might cause port chuffing with two ports open. Versus in one port open, the tuning is significantly lower, so the port may not be moving as much air. A real world example of one of our previous subs is the turbo charger that went with our VTF-3 subs at one point. With the turbo charger addition, it extended both ports so that the tuning is the same as one port open mode, only now both ports are moving the air, so it would play significantly cleaner with less port noise and compression.

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure, but is just shy of 11 o'clock on the gain safe for the VTF-3 MK5? I rarely listen at reference level, typically staying -10db or so. I really enjoy having powerful bass, but not at the risk of damaging my new baby.
That's perfectly fine. If you start to run it upwards to 2 o'clock, I would be a bit more cautious, generally. Of course it depends on the input voltage being sent to the sub as well, but given what you stated earlier, 11 o'clock should be good.
Zuk109 likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7340 of 7350 Unread 03-10-2017, 07:53 AM
c3k

VTF15.2

I've run it for about an hour or two after setting it up with Audyssey and my Denon X4100W.

Wow.

post #7341 of 7350 Unread 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Just a heads up for everyone, we will be exhibiting our subs and speakers at AXPONA (April 21-23, 2017) this year. We will be exhibiting in RM #1235 ["Amazing that's the same combination I have on my luggage"] on the 12th floor. If you're in the area, stop on by. It would be a pleasure to meet you.
ChromeJob likes this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research

Last edited by HsuKevin; 03-10-2017 at 01:54 PM.
post #7342 of 7350 Unread 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoy it!

Just a heads up for everyone, we will be exhibiting our subs and speakers at AXPONA (April 21-23, 2017) this year. We will be exhibiting in RM #1235 ["Amazing that's the same combination I have on my luggage"] on the 12th floor. If you're in the area, stop on by. It would be a pleasure to meet you.
See you there!
HsuKevin likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 and Wyred4Sound MMC-7 amps
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini. Misc.: Oppo 103, Samsung K8500 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, Imagine T Wides and Side Surrounds, Imagine S rear surrounds,
PSB Imagine XA Dolby AE Speakers (4), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 9.4.4
post #7343 of 7350 Unread 03-10-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Based upon my experience so far with the CCB-8 speakers I'd say make sure you have those highlighted.
HsuKevin likes this.

post #7344 of 7350 Unread 03-10-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
VTF15.2

I've run it for about an hour or two after setting it up with Audyssey and my Denon X4100W.

Wow.

Time to rewatch a bunch of movies!

post #7345 of 7350 Unread Yesterday, 05:52 AM

Okay after playing around some more with my VTF-3 MK5 I think I've settled on one port mode for movies. I can't believe how much sub 20hz content some movies have, and the fact that I was missing ALL of that content with my pair of BIC F12's, it's crazy!

I do still notice some slight port chuffing in one port mode, but only during movies since my music won't hit low and loud enough to induce it. Is it okay having the sub volume loud enough that it causes a bit of chuffing, or should I back it down a bit? I've been very careful, making sure the sub itself isn't bottoming out or making any funny noises, just trying to be extra careful.

I'm so impressed with the VTF-3 MK5, that I'm starting to wonder how much better the 15H MK2 would sound....
post #7346 of 7350 Unread Yesterday, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I would back it down a little, just my two cents....

Did my answer help you? Please like my post if did; I can use the cosmic brownie points. :)
New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. They will save you time when you ask the forum a question….
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #7347 of 7350 Unread Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Should be noted that I'm only getting the port noise at extreme volume, and only below 20hz or so. That is only with the Q set at .7, if I dial the Q down to .5 or so it really cuts down on it at the expense of a little less output down low. I've only had the sub for less than a week, so I'm still working on getting it dialed in perfectly. But once again, overall extremely impressed with how loud this thing will get, it's amazing. I can see myself adding a second one down the road.
post #7348 of 7350 Unread Yesterday, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I would back it down a little, just my two cents....
+1

Might want to turn down the sub gain or lower the AVR trim just a hair.

post #7349 of 7350 Unread Today, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I would set the dial above what you had it for audyssey (when you got -5).
redo audyessy so the trim in as close to minimum but "not at minimum" (minimum is where the scale stops and you wouldn't know if it went farther)
then adjust your sub trim to your personal taste on the avr not the dial, keep it below 0
enjoy

for sub dial in, don't bother moving the tripod, just stay at position 1 as it may take a few times to get the trim settings right, then run 8 positions

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #7350 of 7350 Unread Today, 10:42 AM

Quick update, got the excessive port chuffing problem solved. All I had to do was set the Q at .5, and turn dynamic EQ off on my AVR. The dynamic EQ must really boost the sub 25hz area, and I hadn't thought to turn it off. With my previous set-up of dual BIC F12's, they never had an issue with it turned on. I'm assuming it's because those sub's fell on their face under 25hz, so it didn't bother them since they basically had zero output at those frequencies.

As each day passes by I fall in love with this subwoofer more and more. Now I've got a difficult decision coming up, upgrade my TV or add a second VTF-3 MK5? My current TV is an LG 50" plasma that has served me well for almost 8yrs now. But now that I've got the home theater bug, I'd like to get myself a new, larger TV. But I'm also an extreme basshead, so I'm at odds with myself lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt