***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 418Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7351 of 7359 Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarFather View Post
Quick update, got the excessive port chuffing problem solved. All I had to do was set the Q at .5, and turn dynamic EQ off on my AVR. The dynamic EQ must really boost the sub 25hz area, and I hadn't thought to turn it off. With my previous set-up of dual BIC F12's, they never had an issue with it turned on. I'm assuming it's because those sub's fell on their face under 25hz, so it didn't bother them since they basically had zero output at those frequencies.

As each day passes by I fall in love with this subwoofer more and more. Now I've got a difficult decision coming up, upgrade my TV or add a second VTF-3 MK5? My current TV is an LG 50" plasma that has served me well for almost 8yrs now. But now that I've got the home theater bug, I'd like to get myself a new, larger TV. But I'm also an extreme basshead, so I'm at odds with myself lol.
Definitely a second sub can help in giving you more clean headroom and it can help smooth out the response if placed well. Though given your previous settings stated, the sub seems to be good, so a new TV would be a pretty nice addition.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7352 of 7359 Old 03-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Member
 
TheCarFather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Definitely a second sub can help in giving you more clean headroom and it can help smooth out the response if placed well. Though given your previous settings stated, the sub seems to be good, so a new TV would be a pretty nice addition.
I ordered a second VTF-3 MK5 from you on Tuesday Scheduled to arrive early next week, can't wait to hear/feel what two of them sound like! Should also help alleviate some of the peaks I'm experiencing with the single 15. That was the only thing I miss from my previous dual BIC F12 set-up, which was smoother throughout my living room. Now with the second 15 on the way I should have that same smoothness, but with the added benefit of crazy output levels
TheCarFather is offline  
post #7353 of 7359 Old 03-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Member
 
sydneybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2nd sub or tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarFather View Post
Now I've got a difficult decision coming up, upgrade my TV or add a second VTF-3 MK5? My current TV is an LG 50" plasma that has served me well for almost 8yrs now. But now that I've got the home theater bug, I'd like to get myself a new, larger TV. But I'm also an extreme basshead, so I'm at odds with myself lol.
You made a good choice with the second sub over a new TV. I just "upgraded" my 9 yr old 50 in Panasonic plasma (that had lots of image burn-in at the bottom of the screen) for a 60 in Samsung 1080p (under $500 on sale at Costco) and am satisfied, although the plasma had a better picture (blacker blacks), better off-center viewing, and it kept the house warm in the winter, but your eyes get used to the new picture. I'm not ready for the 4k sticker shock. Of course I'm jealous of your subs as I am still using my pair of HRSW10 cylinders.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
sydneybird is offline  
 
post #7354 of 7359 Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarFather View Post
I ordered a second VTF-3 MK5 from you on Tuesday Scheduled to arrive early next week, can't wait to hear/feel what two of them sound like! Should also help alleviate some of the peaks I'm experiencing with the single 15. That was the only thing I miss from my previous dual BIC F12 set-up, which was smoother throughout my living room. Now with the second 15 on the way I should have that same smoothness, but with the added benefit of crazy output levels
Can you tell us in detail the improvements you hear after adding the 2nd subwoofer? I'm currently in a similar situation as you where I'm strongly considering adding a 2nd VTF3 MK5HP. Also, let me know what settings you're using, what your listening levels/habits are, and what your room is like. Thanks.
galonzo likes this.
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan is online now  
post #7355 of 7359 Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Member
 
veger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just ordered VTF-15H MK2 to go with my LMF-1 EX can't wait!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ and HsuKevin like this.
veger69 is offline  
post #7356 of 7359 Old 03-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Member
 
TheCarFather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
Can you tell us in detail the improvements you hear after adding the 2nd subwoofer? I'm currently in a similar situation as you where I'm strongly considering adding a 2nd VTF3 MK5HP. Also, let me know what settings you're using, what your listening levels/habits are, and what your room is like. Thanks.
Will do, it should be arriving early next week, so excited!
TheCarFather is offline  
post #7357 of 7359 Old 03-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
The sub amp has a significantly higher input impedance than the output impedance of the preamp so splitting the signal won't really effect the gain/sound quality. Certainly there are receivers that tend to just split the signal internally with no independent bass management for both preouts. Those are more commonly found on less expensive A/V receivers. Balanced XLR subouts are more commonly found on higher end receivers/surround processors, so they would likely have descrete sub preouts that allow you to adjust distance, etc. Even if it is just split internally, you can still split the signal multiple times.
On a related note, can you tell me what happens to the voltage of a subwoofer pre-out when you use a y-splitter? Say you connect an RCA y-splitter to a subwoofer pre-out that's hypothetically outputting 1.3 volts of clean, undistorted, & unclipped line-level analog signal. What happens to the voltage of each line when it gets split? Does it stay at 1.3V for each? Does it attenuate? Sorry, this is more of a general subwoofer/preamp question rather than a HSU specific question.
Jerry Bruckheimer Fan is online now  
post #7358 of 7359 Old Today, 10:16 AM
Member
 
darkangelism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I ordered a VTF-15H MK2 first real home theater sub, currently have an 8" on my PC but going from built in TV speakers.
darkangelism is online now  
post #7359 of 7359 Old Today, 10:35 AM
Member
 
HsuKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
On a related note, can you tell me what happens to the voltage of a subwoofer pre-out when you use a y-splitter? Say you connect an RCA y-splitter to a subwoofer pre-out that's hypothetically outputting 1.3 volts of clean, undistorted, & unclipped line-level analog signal. What happens to the voltage of each line when it gets split? Does it stay at 1.3V for each? Does it attenuate? Sorry, this is more of a general subwoofer/preamp question rather than a HSU specific question.
Good question! Since our sub's low level inputs have a high input impedance, y-splitting the sub pre-out has negligible effect on the output voltage. So if you y-split an output of 1.3v, it would likely be somewhere around 1.29something volts or so. So you can y-split multiple times without a perceived change in output. Another thing to consider is that when using two subs, you can get upwards to 6 dB increase in output anyway, so it will be even less noticeable.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
HsuKevin is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off