***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #721 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I got the STF-2 hooked up in the Gaming Room. Holy smokes!

This sub digs down deep! Not only does it get low, it's super clean and very musical. Mike Oldfield never sounded so good.

Watching Spider-man 2 on Blu-ray was great; I could feel all the punches and explosions in my chest and gut, something the Dayton SUB-100 it replaced was never able to do without sounding boomy and muddy.

This sub will easily fill a medium sized room with powerful sub bass. I only have the gain set at about 1/4 of the way up (still need to calibrate it). I'm very happy with my purchase and the treatment I was given at the Hsu Research facility!

~ REVNU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I have the VTF-3 1st generation in rosewood. It has the smaller amp (250w compared to 350w?) Don't get me wrong, I love my sub, but would be interested in auditioning the larger amp w/ the turbo attachment, but the rosewood blends perfectly with my Diva Swans 6.1, C3 (w/ top mounted tweeter, R3's, and a single 2.1 as a rear center. I can't believe they no longer have this as an option. The sub still has plenty of power, but i sure would like to hear the updated version. I would have even considered the piano black finish, but they don't offer that anymore either.

I can't figure out that they left us with just a couple of options, black and maple. That being said, I still recommend HSU subs, a black VTF-3 2nd generation for my dad, and a VTF-1 for my in-laws, perfect for their small room setup.

ej

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #723 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post

This sub digs down deep! Not only does it get low, it's super clean and very musical. Mike Oldfield never sounded so good.

Watching Spider-man 2 on Blu-ray was great; I could feel all the punches and explosions in my chest and gut, something the Dayton SUB-100 it replaced was never able to do without sounding boomy and muddy.

This sub will easily fill a medium sized room with powerful sub bass. I only have the gain set at about 1/4 of the way up (still need to calibrate it). I'm very happy with my purchase and the treatment I was given at the Hsu Research facility!

Thanks so much REVNU, we really appreciate it! I really do like what these subs can do for the size and cost. I'm glad you like it!

Pete - Hsu Research
post #724 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM

I just picked up a used STF-1.It is being used in a 2 channel music only setup.
My integrated amp has a pre-out,but the Hsu manual states that the sub
should not be hooked up that way.Hsu recommends using the high level
speaker method.Can someone explain why?
post #725 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Irwin, only our VTF subwoofers have a hookup option for controllers with left/right pre-out connection. For the STF series, if your processor has no 'Sub/LFE Out' connection, then you would need to use the high level speaker outputs.

Pete - Hsu Research
post #726 of 6510 Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
do you guys know if a marantz sr4001 receiver and a stf-2 are a good convination?
post #727 of 6510 Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

do you guys know if a marantz sr4001 receiver and a stf-2 are a good convination?

I have mine hooked up to a Marantz SR4002. Couldn't be happier.

~ REVNU
post #728 of 6510 Old 01-23-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When I'm using my PS3 -->Onkyo 805 -->Hsu VTF3 MKII with the crossover set to out, I get a whiny sounding hum (does not sound like a ground loop hum). When the crossover is set to in it goes away. Also, it does not seem to occur with other devices and hums with PCM or Bitstream. Any thoughts on what may be happening? This appears to relatively recent as I have never noticed it in the past.

I have the Onkyo crossed over at 80. Should I just set the subs crossover to IN and set it at 80 or 100?
post #729 of 6510 Old 01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

can't get stf-2 dial in>, I just can't make it sound right guys, is really depressing, I just bought it on fleabay, have all my speakers set to small and xover at 80,, but it sound boomy , but at the same time not much bass comes out of it. I have it phase at 180, but can not make it blend in with the mains , it is about 6 or 7 feet from them. any ideas or advise will be appreciated. thank you. one more thing to add is that it replaced a velodyne vx-10, that actually to me it sounds better. at least for now.
post #730 of 6510 Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

can't get stf-2 dial in>, I just can't make it sound right guys, is really depressing, I just bought it on fleabay, have all my speakers set to small and xover at 80,, but it sound boomy , but at the same time not much bass comes out of it. I have it phase at 180, but can not make it blend in with the mains , it is about 6 or 7 feet from them. any ideas or advise will be appreciated. thank you. one more thing to add is that it replaced a velodyne vx-10, that actually to me it sounds better. at least for now.

Does your reciever have an "X" curve setting that you can turn on. If so, turn it on and that will get rid of some boomy. I had the same issue with my 3.3 Turbo and MBM-12. Also, are you using a SPL meter to dial in your sub?

Bill
post #731 of 6510 Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

They are out of stock of the VTF-1, but I'm going to order it once they come back in stock (they told me in the next 3 weeks). I'm exciting to hook it up to my new Denon 4308 and my new AscentAcoustics set up..... very excited!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to properly calibrate the sub to the speakers? I'll have it placed near the couch, about 1ft from the wall near a corner.

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #732 of 6510 Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

bsoko , I have not use an spl meter yet but..., my receiver is a marantz sr4001, I see no "x". also the bass it puts out is really "loose" not tight atall. I'll play with it later.
post #733 of 6510 Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, i did a complete reset on my receiver...played around with the specific setting (db levels, verified speaker size, etc) Getting some good sound out now. Think I need to do a sub crawl now to find a better position in the room....when I go downstairs I can hear/feel the 2nd floor shaking...but in the room it just isn't feeling like its that powerful. Is the 3.3 the right size for a 13x19x10 room? Should I set the sub to +10 db (option on the receiver) or something different? At least now I've got it working.
post #734 of 6510 Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to properly calibrate the sub to the speakers? I'll have it placed near the couch, about 1ft from the wall near a corner.

To do it "properly" you need an SPL meter, like the $40~50 kind you can get from Radio Shack. Plus you'll need something that can produce the "tones" or sounds that let you adjust the speakers and sub to the same level. Receivers have speaker tones, and some but not all have subwoofer tones as well. There are special setup discs that also have test tones, and the "THX Optimizer" on THX-certified DVDs as well (I can't remember if the Audio setup section has 5.1 test tones or not...).

Some of the nicer receivers also come with separate mics or mics built into the remote to do auto setups.
post #735 of 6510 Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My receiver has a Mic that came with it, I have the Denon 4308.... I wonder if its subwoofer test tones (the Auto Set up) are sufficient?

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #736 of 6510 Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Does Peter Marck still work for HSU? I haven't seen him for a while.
post #737 of 6510 Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post

Does Peter Marck still work for HSU? I haven't seen him for a while.

Yes, he still works for them. He now posts as Pete_Hsu to show that he works for Hsu Research. This is now the name he also uses at the Hsu forum. He last posted in this thread on 1/22/08.
post #738 of 6510 Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I am trying to standardize log in names for the company, so that would be Dr_Hsu, Pete_Hsu, Leo_Hsu, etc.

Pete - Hsu Research
post #739 of 6510 Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM

We must all be to busy listening to our subs to post!
post #740 of 6510 Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post

We must all be to busy listening to our subs to post!

I know I am! I am watching Battlestar Galactica right now. Sounds great!

I finally got my STF-2 calibrated with my ZAPH Audio 3" Hi-Vi's and have settled on a 120Hz crossover with the sub just under the front left speaker. Before calibrating it, it sounded a little boomy, but after the calibration it sounds MUCH better.

150Hz just seemed to be missing a lot of kick/midbass. 180Hz sounded much better but didn't provide the thump in my gut from punches and such that 120Hz provided. I don't listen to the system super loud so the 3" drivers crossed at 120Hz is pretty good. I guess if I really ripped them I would have probably went with the 180Hz crossover.

Unfortunately with such a small room (10' x 10') I really don't have many options for sub placement. especially with having to cross the sub at over 100Hz, it makes it too easy to localize if it's not at the front of the listening area. For my gaming room, it's definitely "good enough", my 4 and 7 year old nephews LOVE IT! My buddies think it's insane for so much sound in such a small "game room", but they love it! HAHAHA

~ REVNU
post #741 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM

Hi guys, I am soon to be a new VTF-2 MK3 owner. After extensive reseach, I have decided that this sub will be my next one.
I used to have (Don't laugh) an Onkyo SKW204 subwoofer that i paid $199 for; the sucker used to bottom out and pop when I would play BD and HD DVD movies via my Onkyo 705 reciever.

Well, after talking with Craigsub and others, I have decided that I will be buying the HSU sub sometime this week. I am tired of only hearing my sub, I want to feel it.

Is there anything else that I should know? I will basically be using it for movies (80% of the time). Which one, in your experience, sounds better with movies: The MAX EXTENSION or the MAX OUTPUT?

Thanks guys.
post #742 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVNU View Post

Great to read your post. I too will be using mine for my BD and HD DVD watching. What do you have yours set to; MAX EXTENSION or the MAX OUTPUT?
post #743 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLover View Post

Hi guys, I am soon to be a new VTF-2 MK3 owner. After extensive reseach, I have decided that this sub will be my next one.
I used to have (Don't laugh) an Onkyo SKW204 subwoofer that i paid $199 for; the sucker used to bottom out and pop when I would play BD and HD DVD movies via my Onkyo 705 reciever.

Well, after talking with Craigsub and others, I have decided that I will be buying the HSU sub sometime this week.

Is there anything else that I should know? I will basically be using it for movies (80% of the time). Which one, in your experience, sounds better with movies: The MAX EXTENSION or the MAX OUTPUT?

Thanks guys.

For strictly movies the max extension mode would probably be the way to go, that will give you the lowest frequency range output. In the max output mode you'll get more output in the midbass region. It's not going to be a major difference between them and room gain, placement and preferenc will be a big factor in which you like best,

Both modes are going to completely destroy your current sub in every way imaginable, just play around with it and see which one fits you best in your room.
post #744 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Great to read your post. I too will be using mine for my BD and HD DVD watching. What do you have yours set to; MAX EXTENSION or the MAX OUTPUT?

He was talking about the STF-2, it doesn't have that option.
post #745 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

He was talking about the STF-2, it doesn't have that option.

So what I am getting would really blow his out of the water? YES!

I am so happy that I found this thread, if it had not been for Craigsub directing me here I would never have known that it existed.
post #746 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM

Can the VTF-3 Turbocharger be added to the VTF-2 MK3?
post #747 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM

BluLover - Congrats on your purchase! I have the VTF-2 MK3 and absolutely love it. Everyone I show it off to is absolutely amazed.

Here is my perspective in answer to your question about the mode. I ran my sub in max extension mode when I first received it and it sounded amazing. After reading this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

I think that it is probably an overgeneralization to say one mode is better for movies and one mode for music. On any program material, movies or music, max output mode tends to offer the best performance at and above, say, 25Hz. Only on ultra-deep bass content such as pipe organ music would it be better to use extended bass mode.

I changed to max output to see the difference and for me max output is definately the way to go. My advice to you is to try it in one mode through some scenes in movies with great bass and then try it in the other mode and see which sounds better to you. One thing I have learned while building my HT is that sound is subjective to the listener and what sounds good to me may not sound good to you and vice-versa.

Good luck and let us know what you think of the sub when it comes.
post #748 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 AM

patiently waiting for mine...

Ship date
Feb 8, 2008

Estimated delivery
Feb 14, 2008

Department number
VTF-3MK3 01845

Destination
FARRAGUT, TN

oh and it will be replacing a DENON from a HTiB
A/V - ROTEL RSX 1057
PS3
B&w 602s3 & LCR 600

the only thing i was missing is the sub
post #749 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Can the VTF-3 Turbocharger be added to the VTF-2 MK3?

The answer is yes, it is slightly wider than the VTF-2.3 cabinet but it still works well. The gain is about 3dB... I've been considering adding one to my VTF-2.3

I have mine set to max output mode and I mostly watch movies. I will say the biggest issue I have had was rattles. At first I thought the rattles were coming from the sub because they were very hard to localize when the room is filled with bass, but I later determined that the steel studs inside the wall next to the sub were vibrating. It also causes various light fixtures, etc, to vibrate around the room. I tracked most down and tightened what I could to stop them, but rattles pop up from time to time.

Also, living in a 3 story condo complex, I gave my number to the neighbors downstairs in case my movie watching ever bothered them. They've never called yet, but I did find out that the studs vibrate all the way down the wall and onto their floor. This is impressive to say the least because this is a brand new, large, and very well built location. I questioned if a single VTF2.3 would be enough and almost got the VTF-3.3 but I'm very happy with my choice now. I never feel like I'm reaching the limits of the sub and any additional bass would just be an exercise in overpowering my mains
post #750 of 6510 Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post

BluLover - Congrats on your purchase! I have the VTF-2 MK3 and absolutely love it. Everyone I show it off to is absolutely amazed.

Here is my perspective in answer to your question about the mode. I ran my sub in max extension mode when I first received it and it sounded amazing. After reading this post:

I changed to max output to see the difference and for me max output is definately the way to go. My advice to you is to try it in one mode through some scenes in movies with great bass and then try it in the other mode and see which sounds better to you. One thing I have learned while building my HT is that sound is subjective to the listener and what sounds good to me may not sound good to you and vice-versa.

Good luck and let us know what you think of the sub when it comes.

Thanks a lot for your help. My main thing is feeling the explosions and car crashes for the first time.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page