***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 537Likes

post #7531 of 7548 Old 05-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
I remember some instances, with our mk1 series of the ULS-15, the wireless signal often went intermittent when placed near some cable boxes. If your transmitter is near a cable box/top unit, try moving it to a different position to see if it stops.
Here is zoomed in pic of the tv console so maybe you can see. The Dtv cable box is on the center shelf and the wireless transmitter is on the top to the right of the tv at the back corner. It wasn't an issue before. But yes, it's only when I'm watching tv like the news or other programs. I guess because it's at lower volumes..? It works fine with music and movies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137_1494270275047.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	2125185  

Last edited by Falconsfan71; 05-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7548 Old 05-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm not sure that's the reason. It's a strange one, that's for sure. Do you usually have the cable box on when you listen to music/movies?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7533 of 7548 Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, when I press the DirecTv remote "ON" the Dtv box comes on along with the tv and the Pioneer AVR. It's all setup with HDMI to the AVR and then one HDMI out to ARC on the tv.
I don't know!

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *

post #7534 of 7548 Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Yes, when I press the DirecTv remote "ON" the Dtv box comes on along with the tv and the Pioneer AVR. It's all setup with HDMI to the AVR and then one HDMI out to ARC on the tv.
I don't know!
If you want the tv on and not the DTV box, you should be able to point at your tv and turn it on with the "off" button on your remote. It works for me.
post #7535 of 7548 Old 05-15-2017, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I ran some speaker wire under the house to move my sub to the back corner and now I have a hum if I turn my plate amp gain up much higher than I usually have it. With the cable unplugged I have no hum. I suspect I am picking up hum from the house wires. Is it worth worrying about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7536 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

My second VTF-3 MK5 will be here today. Anything I need to know setting these up dual?
@HsuKevin Should I just set the second sub the same as the first?

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #7537 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
I ran some speaker wire under the house to move my sub to the back corner and now I have a hum if I turn my plate amp gain up much higher than I usually have it. With the cable unplugged I have no hum. I suspect I am picking up hum from the house wires. Is it worth worrying about?

Hi there,

Yea it sounds like it's picking up some interference. What cable are you using? Did you run it along a power line?

Quote:
My second VTF-3 MK5 will be here today. Anything I need to know setting these up dual?
@HsuKevin Should I just set the second sub the same as the first?

Generally speaking, I would set it the same as the first. One thing we usually do recommend when running duals is to gain match the two subwoofers, that way you can get the most clean output out of both subs and not have to worry so much about bottlenecking your sub performance. Ultimately, it's up to you and your personal preference. You can also try level matching the two subs. As long as both subs are playing cleanly, then there would really be no downside to that.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7538 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Hi there,

Yea it sounds like it's picking up some interference. What cable are you using? Did you run it along a power line?

I used plain speaker wire ran under the house. There are electrical wires around nearby.

post #7539 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
I used plain speaker wire ran under the house. There are electrical wires around nearby.

OK. That's interesting. So you're using the high level inputs? What amp and preamp are you using?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7540 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

Quote:
Generally speaking, I would set it the same as the first. One thing we usually do recommend when running duals is to gain match the two subwoofers, that way you can get the most clean output out of both subs and not have to worry so much about bottlenecking your sub performance. Ultimately, it's up to you and your personal preference. You can also try level matching the two subs. As long as both subs are playing cleanly, then there would really be no downside to that.

I'm assuming by gain match you mean set the controls the same way with left port open and the volume the same as the other one (around 11 o'clock). Then check my sub test tone in the AVR with the SPL meter to get them as close as possible then run calibration..? I'll check them afterwards again and then play a steady bass beat to make sure I'm getting the same db at the MLP.

post #7541 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming by gain match you mean set the controls the same way with left port open and the volume the same as the other one (around 11 o'clock). Then check my sub test tone in the AVR with the SPL meter to get them as close as possible then run calibration..? I'll check them afterwards again and then play a steady bass beat to make sure I'm getting the same db at the MLP.

Yea you want to have both subs set the same way. The volume may change depending. Assuming you already have a sub somewhat calibrated with your speakers, to gain match, you basically leave the calibrated sub connected to the receiver and the other one disconnected, play the 50 Hz test tone from the CD and use your SPL meter to measure 80 dB at your listening position. Use the master volume on the receive to adjust the level to get the 80 dB level. Once you have the level, disconnect the first sub and move it out of the position. Move the second sub into the same position and hook it up to the same sub out on the receiver. Play the 50 Hz test tone again and this time use the volume control on the sub to match 80 dB at your listening position. Once it reads 80 Hz, they are gain matched. Move the first sub in your secondary sub position and hook it up the receiver.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7542 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

@HsuKevin
Oh I see! Thank you!

post #7543 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yea you want to have both subs set the same way. The volume may change depending. Assuming you already have a sub somewhat calibrated with your speakers, to gain match, you basically leave the calibrated sub connected to the receiver and the other one disconnected, play the 50 Hz test tone from the CD and use your SPL meter to measure 80 dB at your listening position. Use the master volume on the receive to adjust the level to get the 80 dB level. Once you have the level, disconnect the first sub and move it out of the position. Move the second sub into the same position and hook it up to the same sub out on the receiver. Play the 50 Hz test tone again and this time use the volume control on the sub to match 80 dB at your listening position. Once it reads 80 Hz, they are gain matched. Move the first sub in your secondary sub position and hook it up the receiver.

Kevin would the process be the same when gain matching a VTF-15H and an outlaw LMF-1 EX?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7544 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quote:
@HsuKevin
Oh I see! Thank you!

No problem! Happy listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
Kevin would the process be the same when gain matching a VTF-15H and an outlaw LMF-1 EX?

The process is more geared towards two subs with the same gain structure, so if you were to match two different subs that way, you may still run into a bit of a bottleneck. You may get fairly close anyway with the LFM-1 ex, maybe reduce the channel level a 2-3 dB or so.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7545 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No problem! Happy listening.

The process is more geared towards two subs with the same gain structure, so if you were to match two different subs that way, you may still run into a bit of a bottleneck. You may get fairly close anyway with the LFM-1 ex, maybe reduce the channel level a 2-3 dB or so.
So do the vtf-15h first then the lmf1 to at 50hrz to 77db?
post #7546 of 7548 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Yea 77-78 dB thereabouts. You can also adjust that from the receiver end if they have independent sub channel levels. It won't be 100% accurate, and in practice, it's probably not that big of a deal to just leave them at the same level.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #7547 of 7548 Old Today, 03:39 PM

***Official HSU owners/support thread!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
So do the vtf-15h first then the lmf1 to at 50hrz to 77db?

Vtf-15h first to 80db or the same 77-78

post #7548 of 7548 Old Today, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Ok.. so I'm a little disappointed at the moment. The second VTF-3 MK5 arrived today. I gain matched the new sub with the first sub and left the new one in the corner where the first one was. Then I put the first sub in the front. I ran MCAAC Pro and the sub level came back at -6 in the AVR so I bumped it to -3. Then I made sure front speakers and center were set to small. Something just doesn't sound right. I turned the first sub off (the one I've had for about two weeks or so). The new sub is not doing in the corner what the first sub was doing there. I've played around with it a little but I'm just tired of messing with it tonight. Not sure what to do now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page