***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 567Likes
post #7591 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I wonder how many have f'd up their subs playing that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
I wonder how many have f'd up their subs playing that!!!

As long as the sub is dialed in, you should be fine. Just don't crank the crap out of it by raising the gain and/or bass trim on the AVR. You just have to know your subs limits by tweaking w/ it.
ChromeJob likes this.

Dedicated Theater Room: 7.2.4 (ATMOS upcoming)
SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB (Professional Calibrated)
RTIA9 Polk, CSIA6 Polk, FXIA6 Polk / 2017 Dual JTR Cap 1400 V2 Black Oak Finish
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Emotiva XMC1, Emotiva 3 channel amp Gen 3, Emotiva 4 channel amp Gen 3
post #7593 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
If you don't already have it, get Underworld Awakening Blu Ray. That's a great movie to test out your sub, as it has some great LFE. I've often used the giant Lycan scene to test subwoofers I've had in the past.
shivaji likes this.

Game Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/ Hisense 65" 4K w/HDR10, Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver, Klipsch KF-28 L/R, KC-25 center, KB-15 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e (x2), I-12 (x2) subs. Living Room>Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560 receiver, Primus P363 L/R, P163 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> Pioneer VSX-524, Pioneer BS22, SVS PC12-NSD (x2) subs. Game Systems> PS4 Slim, PS4, PS3, XBox One S, XBox One, XBox 360, Wii.

post #7594 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
If you don't already have it, get Underworld Awakening Blu Ray. That's a great movie to test out your sub, as it has some great LFE. I've often used the giant Lycan scene to test subwoofers I've had in the past.

I'm waiting for the whole set of Underworld to be out on Blu-ray to buy them. I can watch those over and over and I love Kate Beckinsale… Oh yeah!

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #7595 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I'm waiting for the whole set of Underworld to be out on Blu-ray to buy them. I can watch those over and over and I love Kate Beckinsale… Oh yeah!

It is out:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Underw...lu-ray/175354/

SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB (Professional Calibrated)
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
post #7596 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFE Junkie View Post
As long as the sub is dialed in, you should be fine. Just don't crank the crap out of it by raising the gain and/or bass trim on the AVR. You just have to know your subs limits by tweaking w/ it.

Maybe I have my subs too hot as you call it and not know it. Using my Umik mic and the SPL meter in REW all of my speakers are at 75db using the AVR test tones and each sub is around 80db and combined they are around 83 to 84db.

post #7597 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Maybe I have my subs too hot as you call it and not know it. Using my Umik mic and the SPL meter in REW all of my speakers are at 75db using the AVR test tones and each sub is around 80db and combined they are around 83 to 84db.

That sounds ok. Where is your gain knob on the sub at and what is your subs set at in the AVR?

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
post #7598 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sorry.. I meant Blood Wars...

post #7599 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That sounds ok. Where is your gain knob on the sub at and what is your subs set at in the AVR?

The gain knobs on the subs are around 11 o'clock and after calibration they were at -6db in the AVR and I bumped it -3db. But watching Transformers: Age of Extinction I had to turn it down to -6db.

post #7600 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The gain knobs on the subs are around 11 o'clock and after calibration they were at -6db in the AVR and I bumped it -3db. But watching Transformers: Age of Extinction I had to turn it down to -6db.

That sounds about perfect. You may have just simply had the volume up tooo loud for that scene. To be honest, i actually hate that scene and i use numerous other movies to show off my subs. War of the Worlds (pod emerge), Episode II (asteroid field), Tron Legacy (motorbikes), Flight of the Phoenix (plane going down), etc.

Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
post #7601 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Quote:
Does that mean these $1,600 dual 15" subs can't handle the opening scene of Edge of Tomorrow?
No it means you have them turned up too high.

Your description of the "sound" you heard is lacking. "Awful sound" tells us nothing.

Quote:
I wonder why they make that scene so low then when 95% or more of the subs people purchase can't play that low!
They don't. The TrueHD or MA HD soundtrack is probably just what the director wanted, it was in the theaters, and most likely they didn't remix it for home video. If you play it with equipment that can do it, great; if your equipment can't, no biggie you still get the mix above that freq. Frankly, I couldn't say I'm "missing something" critical if they use a 10 Hz tone. For me 10 Hz hardly adds something to the film. By itself, it's worthless. What you want to HEAR from a film are sounds, not feel the building around you resonate. The building around me is not in the film.

Don't try to make your HT do everything for every film. Even if you buy equipment that can do that, your room will then become the weak link. See the section where members are building true "home theaters" with wall treatments, etc. Some members' rooms blow my mind.

Speaking of SW EP II, I thought the opening with the Senator's ship coming in to Coruscant had great LF bass. I had already got rid of my disc before I got my HSU maybe I should get it from the library…. Naw, there are plenty of other films with ULF to savor.

Funny how people keep listing these films with boom crash thud whomp ULF ... scenes in MIDNIGHT SPECIAL that had subtle, insidious ULF bass almost scared me, normally my HSU is contributing to things but scenes in that film had me a little worried as the HSU was doing some serious work in its corner.

Another good test: SW Ep IV when the Millenium Falcon is being drawn into the Death Star, and Han Solo shuts down the engines. Nice subtle throbbing sound that gets lower, and lower, and lower… Not there in the LaserDisc mix, it was added for the Special Edition at some point.
galonzo and Falconsfan71 like this.

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #7602 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
Quote:
So HT Enthusiasts can talk about it and go out and by the bluray .
Nah, it's a conspiracy with the ID companies to make us buy more/bigger subwoofers.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7603 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3030 Post(s)
Liked: 3375
Quote:
Ok so.. I got the bluray movie "Edge of Tomorrow".. well my girlfriend got it for me. I put the volume on -20db on the AVR and when it got low at the beginning of the movie it was making an awful sound. I am assuming that is what you call port chuffing. How do you fix that? I didn't even have it turned up that loud.
The LFE of the opening scene on the Edge of Tomorrow soundtrack is notorious. Its frequencies are less than 10Hz. My dual Rythmik FV18s handle the scene fine, at least down to their 12Hz tuning frequency, but my multipurpose family room doesn't. That scene makes the plantation shutters over my family room's windows vibrate noisily, as it does the door leading into the master bedroom. I can't think of any other movie that has LFE, which is anywhere near as demanding as the LFE in that scene.
Falconsfan71 likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #7604 of 7607 Unread Yesterday, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Ok so.. I got the bluray movie "Edge of Tomorrow".. well my girlfriend got it for me. I put the volume on -20db on the AVR and when it got low at the beginning of the movie it was making an awful sound. I am assuming that is what you call port chuffing. How do you fix that? I didn't even have it turned up that loud.

Ya, no kidding it was making noises! It a notorious, super low frequency sine wave that will make subs that are capable of digging that deep respond accordingly... and your subwoofer driver is responding by having a ton of in and out excursion.. which will move LOTS of air.. and with that much air being moved, your ports will chuff a bit... not unusual and frankly to be expected with that particular sound effect in that movie.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #7605 of 7607 Unread Today, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick Question--just making sure

Hi Hsu experts,

I've been operating under an assumption that I think is correct, but I'd like to make sure.

When I bypass the crossover on my Hsu subwoofer (crossover "out") then the crossover being used is whatever I've set in my AVR, correct?
Or to put it another way-- when the crossover switch is toggled to "out," it doesn't matter what the dial is set to, right?
post #7606 of 7607 Unread Today, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro50 View Post
Hi Hsu experts,

I've been operating under an assumption that I think is correct, but I'd like to make sure.

When I bypass the crossover on my Hsu subwoofer (crossover "out") then the crossover being used is whatever I've set in my AVR, correct?
Or to put it another way-- when the crossover switch is toggled to "out," it doesn't matter what the dial is set to, right?

Yes.. if it's switched to "OUT" then the crossover dial on the back of the sub makes no difference and the sub is set to whatever the crossover is in the AVR. But, the other knobs are active such as Phase, EQ, and Q Control depending on the sub.

LFE Junkie likes this.

post #7607 of 7607 Unread Today, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Yes.. if it's switched to "OUT" then the crossover dial on the back of the sub makes no difference and the sub is set to whatever the crossover is in the AVR. But, the other knobs are active such as Phase, EQ, and Q Control depending on the sub.

Understood.
Thank you for the affirmation and clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt