***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 256 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 622Likes

post #7651 of 7674 Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post
So far compared to old pw-2200 it digs way deeper with out breaking a sweat..

I need to rerun audyssey

Latter I am going to watch Tron Legacy and some other movies I know well..

So far its been an incredible upgrade over my old pw-2200

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Fun getting a new toy, isn't it? Glad to hear you are enjoying the VTF-3 and Tron Legacy will certainly give it a workout. The new Wonder Woman is also a good bass flick to check out.
Blaine Doss and galonzo like this.

Rec Room>Vivitek 1080p projector w/100" screen/Hisense 65" 4K, Onkyo TXNR656, Fluance signature towers & center, AV5 sides, Loft 40 rears, RBH I-12/e x2, I-12 x2 subs. Living Room>Sammy 59" Plasma, Onkyo HTRC560, Klipsch KF28 L/R, KC25 center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12NSD (x2) subs. PC set up> 27" LG IPS, Onkyo TXNR509, Primus P363's, JBL 550P sub. Master Bedroom>Samsung 42" LED, Pioneer VSX532, Denon 5 spkr set, Jamo J110 sub. Gaming> PS4 (x2), PS3, XBox One (x2), XBox 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 7674 Old 09-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post
So far compared to old pw-2200 it digs way deeper with out breaking a sweat..

I need to rerun audyssey

Latter I am going to watch Tron Legacy and some other movies I know well..

So far its been an incredible upgrade over my old pw-2200

In finding Nemo the scene where the bird smacks the window while they are in the dentist office will make you jump out of your seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blaine Doss likes this.
post #7653 of 7674 Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quick post after watching several movies. This sub is an incredible value for the amount of output.. I am going back a rewatching several movies this weekend and ordered several more..

post #7654 of 7674 Old 09-23-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorfan13 View Post
Any benefit to using a sub platform (Auralex, IsoAcoustics etc) for my VTF-2 MK5? or just sit it on the floor (it will be on a carpeted basement floor). Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You're fine… Save your money.

Though I agree with FalconsFan, I do have one from Auralex with my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer. See pic (it's on the left corner)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170923_151302679.jpg (1.74 MB, 66 views)
post #7655 of 7674 Old 09-24-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
If there is a concrete slab under the carpet, this will make it harder to get a tactile feel out of the sub at the listening position. The upside is some say concrete sounds a little cleaner because it doesn't vibrate or resonate like a wood subfloor. But sitting the sub on a pad won't change this either way.
I have carpet over concrete. Kind of disappointed that I will lose out on some tactile feel.

In my situation are some sort of spikes beneficial to anchor the sub to the concrete?

Anyone pair these subs with buttkickers? Worth it?
post #7656 of 7674 Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
I have carpet over concrete. Kind of disappointed that I will lose out on some tactile feel.

In my situation are some sort of spikes beneficial to anchor the sub to the concrete?

Anyone pair these subs with buttkickers? Worth it?
Properly set up and integrated Buttkickers are most certainly worth it! They provide a wonderful low end tactile response ... been using them for several years now with my VTF-MK4 and an Energy S12.3. Highly recommended!
post #7657 of 7674 Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well I've had this puppy (VTF-15H MK2) since February and I have to report that I am totally in love with this thing. My old cheap sub had a lot of punch at one frequency which made me doubt my Hsu at first. But the frequency range and power of this sub is pretty phenomenal.

I may end up with another one for Christmas. Maybe I'll "return" it and get the DualDrive! hahaha

About the only thing I can think of that would be an upgrade from this is the SVS PB16-Ultra....but for the price I seriously doubt that it would be better than 2 VTF-15H's, and it costs considerably more than 2 HSU's.
post #7658 of 7674 Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your subs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post
Though I agree with FalconsFan, I do have one from Auralex with my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Subwoofer. See pic (it's on the left corner)
Did you notice any difference using it?

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #7659 of 7674 Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your subs!

Did you notice any difference using it?
I'm not a super audiophile like most guys on here but I know enough about AV equipment and know WHEN to ask questions and the reason I purchased the Auralex Gramma is because I felt that the sound from the sub was somewhat muffled. When I added the Great Gramma, I felt that the bass now spread out evenly across the floor. Again this is just my opinion. And I've experienced it on both carpeted floors and most recently...hard-wood floors. The Outlaw did have spikes but it also came with mini-coasters to put the spikes on, but to have it on the Gramma gave it more height.

This is all just based on my feel from the ears, nothing scientific. Let's just say that it doesn't HURT to have it but if people are on a budget this is more a "luxury" item, than a necessity.

P.S. - The sub I have is the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. So I was on this forum as a comparison to see how the HSU subs are and a potential replacement along with Rythmik (sp?)
post #7660 of 7674 Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Hi - long time member at AVS, but new to HSU. I have a sweet new VTF-15 coming on Friday (replacing an old SVS PC-Ultra - circa 2005).

Any advice for how to get this sub downstairs? I have a hand truck and bungee cords - or should I rent an appliance dolly?

Any unpacking advice? I'm not a kid anymore - I'm 57 and kind of realize I need to start paying attention to things like this before I do something dumb and hurt my back?
post #7661 of 7674 Old 10-10-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitt916 View Post
Well I've had this puppy (VTF-15H MK2) since February and I have to report that I am totally in love with this thing. My old cheap sub had a lot of punch at one frequency which made me doubt my Hsu at first. But the frequency range and power of this sub is pretty phenomenal.

I may end up with another one for Christmas. Maybe I'll "return" it and get the DualDrive! hahaha

About the only thing I can think of that would be an upgrade from this is the SVS PB16-Ultra....but for the price I seriously doubt that it would be better than 2 VTF-15H's, and it costs considerably more than 2 HSU's.
I attended a SVS PB-16 "kickoff" demo at a local Philadephia retailer. SVS was present along with about 50 customers. I decided that night that I needed to upgrade from SVS. To my wife and me, the PB-16 sounded muddy and underwhelming. Of course it could've been the setup, but come on - this was a well advertised demo geared to selling product. We ended up leaving early and I've been looking for a sub ever since. The winner was the HSU VTF-15, which I'll have on Friday.
post #7662 of 7674 Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Any advice for how to get this sub downstairs? I have a hand truck and bungee cords - or should I rent an appliance dolly?

Any unpacking advice? I'm not a kid anymore - I'm 57 and kind of realize I need to start paying attention to things like this before I do something dumb and hurt my back?
Being that I move subwoofers around all the time maybe I can provide some insight...

Any decent hand truck will suffice for what you need to do, provided the sub is secured properly. Bungee cords stretch and have play so they're generally not a good choice. Rope would be better, or a ratchet strap provided you don't over-tighten it. I would suggest you wrap the sub in something like a blanket or thick towel so as not to scratch the finish. Move down the steps slowly and methodically; speed is not your ally here. Plan first, move second. Invite a buddy over to help. Offer him a couple of cold ones - after you get the sub downstairs - and things will be much easier.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7663 of 7674 Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hi - long time member at AVS, but new to HSU. I have a sweet new VTF-15 coming on Friday (replacing an old SVS PC-Ultra - circa 2005).

Yeah, I'm on the wrong side of 50 by a few years and have to be a little more careful now too.

When I got mine, I put the box on a soft blanket and pulled it across the living room floor. Then I just slid the box down the carpeted steps to the basement. The box is HUGE so it was really easy to push against it while going down the stairs. I figured I'd have the wife there so that if it got away from me, she could pull my dead body out from under the box at the bottom of the stairs.
post #7664 of 7674 Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, it arrived today and I got it downstairs by myself. The advice about using rope to secure it to my hand truck was PERFECT. Thanks, @JimWilson !

First demo was my John Mayer Blu-Ray - "Vultures" is my go-to track, and it sounded great.

Next up, re-running Dirac
wschmidt likes this.
post #7665 of 7674 Old 10-13-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Well, it arrived today and I got it downstairs by myself. The advice about using rope to secure it to my hand truck was PERFECT. Thanks, @JimWilson !

First demo was my John Mayer Blu-Ray - "Vultures" is my go-to track, and it sounded great.

Next up, re-running Dirac

Don’t ya love new toys??!! Congrats!

wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #7666 of 7674 Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad it worked out for you. One of the larger/heavier subs I reviewed was the XTZ SUB 3X12. That was a lot of fun to repack by myself...

post #7667 of 7674 Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 3114 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
Just got my 4 ULS-15 MK2's. Deploying them to the 4 corners of my room.

They were packed very well, and no damage noted.

I'll be using a balanced miniDSP 2x4 and likely Andy's MSO software to calibrate them.

Good times.
Tom C, galonzo, jamiebosco and 2 others like this.
post #7668 of 7674 Old Today, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

They were packed very well, and no damage noted.

I'll be using a balanced miniDSP 2x4 and likely Andy's MSO software to calibrate them.

Good times.
I am considering using 4 HSU subwoofers (their best, either sealed or vented....not sure yet which way to go) in my living room setup that we will have in our new house next year. I have been considering other options like 2 larger more powerful subs with 18 inch drivers, but then placement options becomes limited. I would hate to get 5000 dollars of subs in place to find out that those two spots lead to unfixable responses issues. So I am considering 4 subs at the corners of the listening area in the hopes of getting a better overall response. I would be placing the front 2 equidistant from MLP and the back 2 also equidistant from MLP. I would have a receiver with Audyssey and dual independent sub outs. So front 2 subs would run off one sub out and back 2 subs would run off second sub out.

I know it is hard to predict with great accuracy how smooth Audyssey could get the response with my proposed setup, but I have attached some pictures. The house is 2 floors and 3100 square feet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e87.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2301448   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e88.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	2301450  
post #7669 of 7674 Old Today, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post
I am considering using 4 HSU subwoofers (their best, either sealed or vented....not sure yet which way to go) in my living room setup that we will have in our new house next year. I have been considering other options like 2 larger more powerful subs with 18 inch drivers, but then placement options becomes limited. I would hate to get 5000 dollars of subs in place to find out that those two spots lead to unfixable responses issues. So I am considering 4 subs at the corners of the listening area in the hopes of getting a better overall response. I would be placing the front 2 equidistant from MLP and the back 2 also equidistant from MLP. I would have a receiver with Audyssey and dual independent sub outs. So front 2 subs would run off one sub out and back 2 subs would run off second sub out.

I know it is hard to predict with great accuracy how smooth Audyssey could get the response with my proposed setup, but I have attached some pictures. The house is 2 floors and 3100 square feet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The 4 corners of "the listening area" and the 4 corners of a rectangular room are 2 very different things. Identical subs in the 4 corners of rectangular rooms has a bit of research to look at that shows a reasonable chance that the outcome can be very amenable to room EQ.

Your situation is impossible to say. I would say that the positions you've indicated may very well need to be modified to get the best response. I would recommend optimizing the combined sub response prior to using room EQ. The goal is to minimize all nulls at the listening positions, and to have the peaks the same at all listening positions. This optimizes the response for global room EQ solutions like Audyssey. I recommend the following software to do this, but it requires a miniDSP.

http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/
Optimizing subwoofers and integration with mains: multi sub optimizer
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by Gooddoc; Today at 03:50 AM.
post #7670 of 7674 Old Today, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
The 4 corners of "the listening area" and the 4 corners of a rectangular room are 2 very different things. Identical subs in the 4 corners of rectangular rooms has a bit of research to look at that shows a reasonable chance that the outcome can be very amenable to room EQ.

Your situation is impossible to say. I would say that the positions you've indicated may very well need to be modified to get the best response. I would recommend optimizing the combined sub response prior to using room EQ. The goal is to minimize all nulls at the listening positions, and to have the peaks the same at all listening positions. This optimizes the response for global room EQ solutions like Audyssey. I recommend the following software to do this, but it requires a miniDSP.

http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/
Optimizing subwoofers and integration with mains: multi sub optimizer
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
post #7671 of 7674 Old Today, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mark, long time no speak. How have you been?

I think you're going to enjoy the ULS. I reviewed the MK2 a few years back and was quite impressed at what you got for the money.

Quote:
Good times.
For the Gooddoc?

post #7672 of 7674 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:
Mark, long time no speak. How have you been?

I think you're going to enjoy the ULS. I reviewed the MK2 a few years back and was quite impressed at what you got for the money.
Yes, long time no talk. Doing well, ty.

The sealed 15's are a bit small in displacement for my tastes, but I do think that corner loading 4 of them will give me the clean reference level output into the high teens(maybe even low teens) that I'm looking for. I am looking to get the best response across all my listening positions, so I went from 2 dual 18" JTR's to these 4 15's. I just couldn't get those monster JTR's where they needed to be to optimize the response the way I wanted it, and adding two more was just out of the question in my room.

My goal was to get the smallest subs I possibly could to achieve that goal. I would rather have a little less output, but a much better FR.

I've got a balanced miniDSP 2x4 and I'm going to use the MSO software to optimize them before I EQ them with Anthem's ARC room correction.

I'm a bit excited about it since I'm expecting stellar results from that combo.

Quote:
Good times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For the Gooddoc?
galonzo and Falconsfan71 like this.
post #7673 of 7674 Old Today, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
The sealed 15's are a bit small in displacement for my tastes, but I do think that corner loading 4 of them will give me the clean reference level output into the high teens(maybe even low teens) that I'm looking for. I am looking to get the best response across all my listening positions, so I went from 2 dual 18" JTR's to these 4 15's. I just couldn't get those monster JTR's where they needed to be to optimize the response the way I wanted it, and adding two more was just out of the question in my room.

Fancy running into a JBL M2 guy here . But I went with a quad set of ULS-15 Mk 2s for similar reasons. I had thought about swapping my old ULS-15 Mk I pair for something in the Seaton line, but considering that I live in a condo, and that I really didn't need to rock the house six floors down at 10 Hz or lower for my movie tastes, I ultimately decided that four 15" subs were a better option than two Seaton Submersives, or waiting for Mark Seaton to produce four of his "half Submersives" in time. I ultimately wound up spending the savings on a better PJ (JVC RS600 on closeout).

It ultimately worked for me...with 1/4 & 3/4 front and rear wall placement, I was able to get smooth, non-distorted output with non-destructive ringing from about 15 Hz to about 90 Hz, where my mains took over. I had tried corner placement, but I had to fudge it as one corner of my room had a door and I consequently didn't get good results. In my current placement, I have consistent enough output for all three seating positions (three seats in a sofa's single row) that room EQ was really more icing on the cake to bring down a few remaining peaks in that range.

Even if you corner load and use EQ1 mode, I'm not sure that you'll wind up with useful low teens output unless you really get lucky. However, from personal experience I think you can realistically hit 16 Hz with clean output and low distortion, especially if you're not looking to actually listen at 85 db reference levels and 105 db peaks.

Quote:
My goal was to get the smallest subs I possibly could to achieve that goal. I would rather have a little less output, but a much better FR.

I would add having bass decay down -20 db from your response, at least at 450 ms, to the list as well. You would want an Omnimic or better yet, REW, to measure that.

Quote:
I've got a balanced miniDSP 2x4 and I'm going to use the MSO software to optimize them before I EQ them with Anthem's ARC room correction.

Good choice, as long as your seating positions aren't too closely together. MSO doesn't work well if you just want to optimize one seat and have to do tightly bunched measuring positions (a minimum of three, as per Andy, and I think you'd want a minimum of 1' apart from what I've read on the MSO thread).

Quote:

I hope you can. The HSU subs are underrated compared to flashier brands on AVS IMO, but there's a few serious AVSers I know that have them and use them productively (although most of the ones I'm familiar with are still using the Mk 1s as they've been happy for a few years). It's all about the multiples.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6
post #7674 of 7674 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Quote:

Fancy running into a JBL M2 guy here . But I went with a quad set of ULS-15 Mk 2s for similar reasons. I had thought about swapping my old ULS-15 Mk I pair for something in the Seaton line, but considering that I live in a condo, and that I really didn't need to rock the house six floors down at 10 Hz or lower for my movie tastes, I ultimately decided that four 15" subs were a better option than two Seaton Submersives, or waiting for Mark Seaton to produce four of his "half Submersives" in time. I ultimately wound up spending the savings on a better PJ (JVC RS600 on closeout).

It ultimately worked for me...with 1/4 & 3/4 front and rear wall placement, I was able to get smooth, non-distorted output with non-destructive ringing from about 15 Hz to about 90 Hz, where my mains took over. I had tried corner placement, but I had to fudge it as one corner of my room had a door and I consequently didn't get good results. In my current placement, I have consistent enough output for all three seating positions (three seats in a sofa's single row) that room EQ was really more icing on the cake to bring down a few remaining peaks in that range.

Even if you corner load and use EQ1 mode, I'm not sure that you'll wind up with useful low teens output unless you really get lucky. However, from personal experience I think you can realistically hit 16 Hz with clean output and low distortion, especially if you're not looking to actually listen at 85 db reference levels and 105 db peaks.

Quote:

I would add having bass decay down -20 db from your response, at least at 450 ms, to the list as well. You would want an Omnimic or better yet, REW, to measure that.

Quote:

Good choice, as long as your seating positions aren't too closely together. MSO doesn't work well if you just want to optimize one seat and have to do tightly bunched measuring positions (a minimum of three, as per Andy, and I think you'd want a minimum of 1' apart from what I've read on the MSO thread).

Quote:

I hope you can. The HSU subs are underrated compared to flashier brands on AVS IMO, but there's a few serious AVSers I know that have them and use them productively (although most of the ones I'm familiar with are still using the Mk 1s as they've been happy for a few years). It's all about the multiples.
Based on prior experience with corner loaded subs in this room, I do think I'll get low teen numbers. Reference in high teens without a doubt.

The difference between mid wall and corners is pretty dramatic from a subjective perspective in my experience (and measured, but subjective seems more).

As to the M2's and being in an HSU sub club, I've always been about getting the greatest value in audio, it just so happens that the M2's represent that to me. JTR too, I just wish Jeff made more WAF options .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page