16Likes

post #991 of 6389 Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

This is a question that I have and pardon my ignorance: What does SQ mean?

Bill

Sound quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6389 Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM

I bought a 3 3 today, I had a follow up question this evening which was half hour past Hsu closing. Someone answered the phone on second ring asking how they could help.

With customer service is that good, I must be in for a real treat Friday.
post #993 of 6389 Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

No you dont brother. You need a regular Y splitter and then 2 runs of 25' subwoofer cable...or which ever distance each is from the receiver.

Thanks buddy, I already have the subwoofer cables that i need. So all I need to buy now is a Y splitter. Simple enough.
post #994 of 6389 Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I was told by HSU that a Y splitter was not necessary, and connecting to one input terminal would yield he same result. I called and asked this because I did, at one time, have a y splitter connected and it was urgently needed elsewhere in my system.

In the end, it did indeed sound the same to my ears and I have not bothered replacing the connector. Was I given bad info?

thanks,
ej

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #995 of 6389 Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I was told by HSU that a Y splitter was not necessary, and connecting to one input terminal would yield he same result. I called and asked this because I did, at one time, have a y splitter connected and it was urgently needed elsewhere in my system.

In the end, it did indeed sound the same to my ears and I have not bothered replacing the connector. Was I given bad info?

thanks,
ej

No.

You're welcome.

MUCHO

post #996 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

If it makes no difference, then why are some running dual runs of 25' cable? Do they have MBM's or something?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #997 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Yeah, I thnk they're talking about making runs to two different subwoofers.
post #998 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 AM

What are folks thoughts comparing these two?
My room is 16x14x8.
90% HT 10% Music
I lowered it down to these two based on:
Their availability (buy this week)
Their reputation (both seem great for loud, clean, low bass)

craigsub leaned me towards the HSU, but then I read that his review was done based on an older model (different amp I believe???) and figured you folks are the first hand resource, so I'm looking for your input comparing the two....

I'm not sure if I'm splitting hairs at this point, but I can't seem to make up my mind between the two.

Don
AVSForum is the best!
post #999 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmcgarry View Post

What are folks thoughts comparing these two?
My room is 16x14x8.
90% HT 10% Music
I lowered it down to these two based on:
Their availability (buy this week)
Their reputation (both seem great for loud, clean, low bass)

craigsub leaned me towards the HSU, but then I read that his review was done based on an older model (different amp I believe???) and figured you folks are the first hand resource, so I'm looking for your input comparing the two....

I'm not sure if I'm splitting hairs at this point, but I can't seem to make up my mind between the two.

All I can tell you is that my room is 35X16X8 (4480 cubic feet), and that I just bought the VTF3.3 as adviced by others in this site, and I have been more than satisfied. The 3.3 feels my room, and moves my couch like nothing I have ever felt.

The Hsu 3.3 is rated higher thand the SVS PB12-Plus/2 on Craigsub list, so you must know that the HO is much stronger. And besides, the new 3.3 has a better, more powerful amp than the one that Craigsub previously rated.
post #1000 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 04:32 PM

So I did it....I ordered the VTF-3 HO today. Pete has been really helpful on the phone and they even had it out the door by the end of the day ...So next tuesday I will start to post about setting up my new sub!!! Hooray! Thanks to everyone for their opinions that pushed me over the edge to get this sub!!!

Don
AVSForum is the best!
post #1001 of 6389 Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:

So I did it....I ordered the VTF-3 HO today. Pete has been really helpful on the phone and they even had it out the door by the end of the day ...So next tuesday I will start to post about setting up my new sub!!! Hooray! Thanks to everyone for their opinions that pushed me over the edge to get this sub!!!

Next Tuesday? Dude you will have your sub at most by Friday this week. They ship really fast.

You are in for a treat, when you start unboxing their sub, you would instantly see how classy and elegant HSU. Enjoy.
post #1002 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLover View Post

Next Tuesday? Dude you will have your sub at most by Friday this week. They ship really fast.

You are in for a treat, when you start unboxing their sub, you would instantly see how classy and elegant HSU. Enjoy.

Yeah actually looks like it's going to be Monday...Niiice ....I live on the East Coast so FedEx Ground takes a few days to get out here. "Props" to Pete...I called at 3:30PM EST....My sub was shipped by 6:45 EST!!!

Don
AVSForum is the best!
post #1003 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Yeah actually looks like it's going to be Monday...Niiice ....I live on the East Coast so FedEx Ground takes a few days to get out here. "Props" to Pete...I called at 3:30PM EST....My sub was shipped by 6:45 EST!!!

They are really efficient, and I am so happy that I chose them. When I recieved my 3.3 it was so perfectly packed, we couldn't find a single smudge or print anywhere. I think the packers wear gloves when they pack these subs. You take one look at the packaging and the sub, and you realize what you just paid for. I was quite impressed.
post #1004 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 AM

According to FEDEX my 3 3 should arrive tomorrow, ordered Monday online about 1:00PM CST, Fedex picked it up at 3:33 PM PST same day.

I have not been this excited about a purchase in a long time. I have been pleasantly surprised with HSU customer service. So many companies have forgotten how to provide customer service and in the end suffer from it.

The more I read about HSU the bigger I see them getting and hope they do not lose the secret sauce, that would be ashame.
post #1005 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Hello all:

I have some help needed, or at least I think I do. I have had an Athena's Technology set-up for a while now:
Yamaha HTR-5890
R/L/C: Athena's LS C-100
SSL/SSR: Athena's LS-100
Subwoofer: Athena AS-P4000. But The Sub went out and I ordered/recieved a HSU VTF2-MK3.

It sounds GREAT. After trying for a few nights (both by ear and SPL), I'm not sure I have is quite dialed in. At a higher volume levels, it all sounds awesome. I have lower notes than I have ever experienced. At medium to low levels, it seems like the bass is not as loud as the speakers. I have verified all the settings in my receiver (small speakers, subwoofer = yes, crossover = 80, etc. etc.). Likewise I have determined 1 port is better for the sub. And that 180 phase sounds better too.

My concern is that my sub is "too large" for the speakers I have. Could this be the case, or do I need to keep working the volume levels?

Full disclosure: I posted this in another existing thread berfore I found this one... but hoping more people monitor this one
post #1006 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemonster View Post

At medium to low levels, it seems like the bass is not as loud as the speakers.

I had the same issue with my VTF2.3. It was resolved with the addition of an MBM-12. Finally ran through the first attack scene in Master and Commander and the final gun battle in Open Range. Wow...

It seems like you have things dialed in right. I'd experiment with placement. I got a full work out in moving the VTF2.3 and MBM last night to about 5-6 different spots in my living room before I settled on what sounded best.
post #1007 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyde23 View Post

I had the same issue with my VTF2.3. It was resolved with the addition of an MBM-12. Finally ran through the first attack scene in Master and Commander and the final gun battle in Open Range. Wow...

It seems like you have things dialed in right. I'd experiment with placement. I got a full work out in moving the VTF2.3 and MBM last night to about 5-6 different spots in my living room before I settled on what sounded best.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't think its practical for me to add another component (many reasons - so trust me ). Any other possible solutions?
post #1008 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't think its practical for me to add another component (many reasons - so trust me ). Any other possible solutions?

A good sub will not be boomy and sounds different. You will get used to it and love the better quality sound.

That being said most run their subs a little hot and that may benifit you. You may also need to try moving your sub around you may be sitting in a null. Bass is difficult at times to calibrate, I have my set up calibrated to my sitting position but sometimes I think there is more bass in the kitchen.

Good luck and a sub can't be to big unless you can't get it through the door.
post #1009 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhixson View Post

Good luck and a sub can't be to big unless you can't get it through the door.

LOL - Thanks.

In the HSU manual, there was a suggestion for "Crawling" to find the best placement. Put the sub in your listening position, play a bassy piece and crawl around until you hear the best sound. That is the best place for your sub. Anyone ever used this with success?
post #1010 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

LOL - Thanks.

In the HSU manual, there was a suggestion for "Crawling" to find the best placement. Put the sub in your listening position, play a bassy piece and crawl around until you hear the best sound. That is the best place for your sub. Anyone ever used this with success?

yes it works,

heres some info:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/sp...ofer-placement

http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_subwoofer_placement.html

and for more sub setup tips see here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004573

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #1011 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Thanks, I found those and was coming into post a nevermind... I'm still learning the site, but quickly have found that most of my questions have been asked and answered multiple time
post #1012 of 6389 Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Remember, the key is to find where the bass sounds the best, as in the smoothest and most even, not the loudest or boomiest.

It will probably be in or near (within 3-4') from a corner. Try to keep it in the front half of the room so you don't have localization issues with the higher bass coming from the sub.
post #1013 of 6389 Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Just got my stf-2 and my Onkyo 705 today. I must say I'm IMPRESSED. I'm coming from a Sony HTiB w/ a passive sub, so I'm loving it now. Watched some of War of the Worlds and Finding Nemo today.

I also got Yamaha NS speakers all around, but only have the NS-555s hooked up for now. Waiting to hook up the rest until I move to my new house, so it will only get better (7.1 ). Still using the HTiB speakers for center and surrounds for now.
post #1014 of 6389 Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I HATE Fedex. I always miss them when they try to delivery my HSU! Now I am going have to pick my item up at there location. Last time I went I had to wait 2 hours. Hopefully today I am lucky.
post #1015 of 6389 Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
2 hours, damn that is excessive. I have never had a problem picking anything up from them, I ususally have to wait about 15 minutes tops.
post #1016 of 6389 Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I HATE Fedex. I always miss them when they try to delivery my HSU! Now I am going have to pick my item up at there location. Last time I went I had to wait 2 hours. Hopefully today I am lucky.

Just wanted to let everyone know this time around it took around 15 minutes When I saw the boxes for the turbos I thought HSU made a mistake on my order and sent me two MBM-12 subs. The boxes on these turbos are huge.
post #1017 of 6389 Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Just added my turbos to the dual 3.3 subs. Do I need to recalibrate the subs now that I added the turbos to them?
post #1018 of 6389 Old 03-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Just added my turbos to the dual 3.3 subs. Do I need to recalibrate the subs now that I added the turbos to them?

I would. Hsu claims that the sub would move more air with the turbos attached, which might amount to more power.
post #1019 of 6389 Old 03-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I just placed my order for the Turbo Booster 1 minute ago.
post #1020 of 6389 Old 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Soooo....
My VTF3-HO comes on Monday and I'm thinking about where to try to place it.
Here is a sketch of my room...
I sit in position X.
I was thinking of trying the sub in 1,2,3.
What is everyone's thoughts?
Thanks,
Don
LL

Don
AVSForum is the best!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page