post #91 of 6333 Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post

Hello:

I have had my HO + MBM12 for a few weeks now and I still love them.

I did have 1 question for those of you with MBM's - How much overlap to you notice between the sub and the MBM?

When I play a test tone that runs the spectrum from 100 down to 16 or so I notices that at the crossover point (between the subs, not the receiver xover) I get sound from the MBM down pretty low.

My HO and MBM are set up per the manual - AVR xover at 80. HO set to IN and crossover at 50.

Thanks,
Splotto

All the cutoffs roll off gradually and the speakers will overlap. I have my HO and Turbo configured like you but used the SMS-1 to calibrate the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6333 Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me how long it takes before a sub ships from HSU? My experience so far has been disappointing with it taking 2 emails and 2 phone calls (one promised return call that never happened) to get the information from a customer service rep that I wanted before ordering. I finally ordered a 3.2 on Thursday evening but have received no information at all except notice of order.

When I hear great customer service I think of Amazon.com or Newegg.com where my orders ship next day with several emails updating me on progress. Are my expectations too high to expect something within 2 business days?

Michael
post #93 of 6333 Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG202 View Post

Can someone tell me how long it takes before a sub ships from HSU? My experience so far has been disappointing with it taking 2 emails and 2 phone calls (one promised return call that never happened) to get the information from a customer service rep that I wanted before ordering. I finally ordered a 3.2 on Thursday evening but have received no information at all except notice of order.

When I hear great customer service I think of Amazon.com or Newegg.com where my orders ship next day with several emails updating me on progress. Are my expectations too high to expect something within 2 business days?

Michael

I'm curious as well, I ordered a 3.3 Turbo on Friday and havent heard anything other than the initial order confirmation.
post #94 of 6333 Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 PM

I ordered my VTF-3 MKii on Sunday 3/4 and received an order confirmation immediately followed by an email directly from FeDex the next business day confirming shipment along with the tracking #.
The sub came Friday 3/9 all the way to Delaware. My personal experience has been nothing but stellar.
post #95 of 6333 Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I spoke to soon ,just checked my email again tonight and the sub was shipped via FedEx today with an estimated arrival of 3/14/07

They gave me 2 tracking #'s , I guess the Sub & Turbo were shipped separately.
post #96 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Michael

Mike:

I will preface this by saying I am a VERY happy HSU customer.

The first time I ordered from HSU (HO sub) it took a week to ship. I had sent an email to them after seeing a thread here of people who ordered after me and whose orders had shipped.

They were very responsive to my email and my sub shipped shortly thereafter. I chalked up my issue to the fact that I placed an order on Sunday and then called to revise the order on Monday (had to cancel and reorder) so maybe my order got mishandled.

I have since ordered from HSU again and everything has shipped right away and arrived on time.

The bottom line is that sometimes mistakes happen in either performance or communication in many retail transactions. All you and I can ask is that they react once they are aware of the issue (which HSU did).

Reach out to them and I am sure they will discover the issue and make it right.

My experiance has not caused me to eliminate HSU as a source for equipment.

Splotto
post #97 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Lynx, ours must have passed close by. I got my VTF-2 Mk3 Wednesday the 7th and while I'm down in Salisbury, it came through the FEd-Ex terminal in Seaford De.

Where are you in De?
post #98 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Michael

I ordered a VTF-3 MK 2 on Sunday night. Yesterday I got a message saying they are backordered until late this week or early next week.
post #99 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Well, it turns out that my wife is much better than I! She followed up on the progress of my sub for me since I travel a great deal. She connected today right away and had an answer in 15 minutes.

My sub shipped back on Friday and is due in this Thursday! She thinks the shipping notice might have gone into the junk mail folder which was set to delete immediately.

Good to see that others have had such great experiences. Thanks for the postive feedback!

Michael
post #100 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You guys are making me jealous talking about your subs shipping, I ordered dual HO's but they are out of stock until the end of the month
post #101 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

You guys are making me jealous talking about your subs shipping, I ordered dual HO's but they are out of stock until the end of the month

Yeah...but when you get them, others will be jealous.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #102 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Guess I spoke to soon ,just checked my email again tonight and the sub was shipped via FedEx today with an estimated arrival of 3/14/07

They gave me 2 tracking #'s , I guess the Sub & Turbo were shipped separately.

crap, me too, but mine won't be at my house till Thursday. I am in Ohio, where you at>

"Go Blue"
post #103 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Mine said estimated delivery was last Wednesday, but they actually attempted the first delivery on Tuesday. You might just get it a day early. They usually though ship them signature required so you will either need someone there to sign for it, or arrange to pick it up.
post #104 of 6333 Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo View Post

crap, me too, but mine won't be at my house till Thursday. I am in Ohio, where you at>

Im in California (about 250 miles from HSU) Ill let ya know how blown away I am tomorrow if it shows up, FedEx has always been here on the estimated delivery day so I should be ok. I have to work in the morning but i'm gonna leave early lol
post #105 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Yeah...but when you get them, others will be jealous.

Your probably right
post #106 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Im in California (about 250 miles from HSU) Ill let ya know how blown away I am tomorrow if it shows up, FedEx has always been here on the estimated delivery day so I should be ok. I have to work in the morning but i'm gonna leave early lol

So have you received your sub yet?

I'm your Huckleberry
post #107 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 AM

well I received my modest VTF-1 maple today. Very impressed so far. Playing Beatles Love DVD-audio right now- and it sounds great. The size is perfect for my room-blends in nicely with the music. I was wondering if I should have gotten a larger size- but this will suffice nicely for what I want it for. Took about 6 days to ship clear across the country. Packaging was top notch. I can't imagine what the big boys sound like-here's to happy listening!
themtan
post #108 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post

... I can't imagine what the big boys sound like...

Probably not much different on 99% of what you're likely to play on it. Very, very little music and even relatively few DVD's go beyond the VTF-1's capability. Enjoy!
post #109 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM

I live in holland orderd the sub on monday and received it friday afternoon, Alan from HSU helped me corectly.

So thumbs up for HSU.
post #110 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

So have you received your sub yet?

Yes I received it awhile ago The boxes were a bit beat up but the sub & turbo were unharmed, I briefly ran through the manuals and have it connected & running right now BUT I need to calibrate it because right now it sounds about the same as my Klipsch RW-12d, I cant really tell any difference but of course theres tons of possible reasons (the RW-12d isn't exactly a poor sub woofer either), unfortunately the size of my room and contents doesn't allow me to move the sub woofer from its current location so hopefully that's not a big issue, its stuck in a corner with my listening position being against the back wall / middle. I don't have any hardware for calibrating the sub so ill have to do it by ear for now, I'm going to mess with it more and ill post more impressions, I thought it would be sort of ugly with the turbo attached but its not bad looking.

Few pics I took (im using my site to host these pics but if they're to large let me know)

Boxes weren't in the best condition ,looks like someones foot went through the sub box , no harm done to their contents tho:

It was pretty easy removing the sub after laying the box on its side and then slide the sub out by pulling on the plastic bag.

This is the corner its going in (it wasn't all the way in the corner yet during the shot):

Turbo add on:
post #111 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM

nice pics-my new VTF-1 just ran and hid in the corner after seeing that monster!
seriously-
Quote:

I thought it would be sort of ugly with the turbo attached but its not bad looking

are you kidding-it looks sweet, one badboy of a sub. my wife came home today and saw my new HSU-first thing she says "I don't like the wood look" typical response. But after she heard it- she said the music really sounds better now-even though she still would have got the black color (can't win sometimes
thetman
post #112 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow after messing with it more I adjusted the sub's gain control , enabled the subs crossover (it was disabled originally) it made a big differance, sounds MUCH better and actually puts the RW-12d to shame in the bottom end department But Im finding it sounds better with the frequency switch set on 25hz rather than the 18hz Turbo setting, at 25hz the sub has more "punch" and still manages to go down deep, perhaps because my room is so small. But Overall im very happy Oh ya I cant figure out how to get music CDs to use the subwoofer,only my mains are playing bass (?) probably something simple im overlooking...
post #113 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Are your mains set to large? Some receivers will send bass to both the mains and the sub if configured but others require them to be set to small. I have B&W mains and normally leave them set to small as the HO handles the low freqs more effeciently and give the AMP/reciever more overhead to drive the mains.
post #114 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhixson View Post

Are your mains set to large? Some receivers will send bass to both the mains and the sub if configured but others require them to be set to small. I have B&W mains and normally leave them set to small as the HO handles the low freqs more effeciently and give the AMP/reciever more overhead to drive the mains.

Ah I fixed it, my mains are set on Large but all I had to do was enable the "Double Bass" option on my reciever, Now any main channel bass is also sent to the subwoofer as well, ill have to try it your way with the mains set on small and see how it works out, Thanks.
post #115 of 6333 Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
If you send the same bass to the mains and the sub at the same time, you are doubling up on the bass, possibly pushing the mains and the receiver too hard, and possibly causing frequency response issues by having that bass come from 3 locations rather than just 1 or 2.
post #116 of 6333 Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 PM

I got my maple VTF 3mk2 yesterday and really like it. I have it paired with Infinity Beta 10s and it sounds great for music. That was a big concern. I knew it would be good for movie effects but the bass is very tight in the 25Hz mode. Thanks everyone here for the information that led me to this choice. My wife and daughters think it is "HUGE." :-)
post #117 of 6333 Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

If you send the same bass to the mains and the sub at the same time, you are doubling up on the bass, possibly pushing the mains and the receiver too hard, and possibly causing frequency response issues by having that bass come from 3 locations rather than just 1 or 2.

My mains are pretty small (came with my Onkyo reciever as a HTIB package) are you suggesting I set the mains set to Small and let the sub handle all the bass? Thanks.
post #118 of 6333 Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM

With my Onkyo HTIB 894 speakers I had the receiver's crossover set to 100Hz with the speakers set to small. With the Betas I have the crossover set to 80Hz. In both cases the sub's crossover is turned off. This means that all the lower bass below that frequency is only going to come from the subwoofer. Well there is some overlap to smooth the transition in the crossover.

When I used an SPL meter to set levels the sub essentially disappeared and blends well with the speakers for music. If you go right next to the sub you can hear the bass but it shouldn't stand out at least for music. For movies you might want a higher setting for effects.

I also found changing the phase really helped with the blending of the fronts and sub.
post #119 of 6333 Old 03-18-2007, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

My mains are pretty small (came with my Onkyo reciever as a HTIB package) are you suggesting I set the mains set to Small and let the sub handle all the bass? Thanks.

Yes, exactly.
post #120 of 6333 Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hrm so since my Recievers' Master volume reading doesnt display dB's how could I go about calibrating the sub? Should I just use the recievers test tone feature and make sure all speakers are outputting the same dB's? I bought the Radio shack digital meter .... Thanks.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page