Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #121 of 6497 Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes, use the receiver test tones and set them all to the same volume. To get a good reading, I suggest calibrating to 75dB. This will be the "0" or "reference level" on your receiver. Depending on your receiver, this could be where the dial reads "0," or "75," or "50" or wherever.

With a Radio Shack digital SPL meter, you can set it to 70dB or 80dB to get readings for 75dB. You could also consider calibrating to 70dB, which would be your "-5 / 5 below reference level" point. SPL meters are the most accurate at the point they are set to (ie., 70dB) and are good to about +/- 5dB from that. This would make sure the readings around 70dB would be more accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6497 Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Does anyone know when the VTF-3 HO with Turbo will be back in stock? I ordered one in Maple about four weeks ago and had to cancel since they were out of stock. I have been waiting and they are still not back in stock.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #123 of 6497 Old 03-19-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When I placed my order a few weeks ago, they said that the HO's are back ordered until the end of this month.

Patiently waiting for my dual HO's to ship
post #124 of 6497 Old 03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

When I placed my order a few weeks ago, they said that the HO's are back ordered until the end of this month.

How are you going to set up your dual HO's? I am going to do dual HO's with turbo and I am going to set them side by side. I was thinking of doing dual HO's w/o turbo and stacking them on top of each other but I really want the extra oomph from the turbos.

I'm your Huckleberry
post #125 of 6497 Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

How are you going to set up your dual HO's? I am going to do dual HO's with turbo and I am going to set them side by side. I was thinking of doing dual HO's w/o turbo and stacking them on top of each other but I really want the extra oomph from the turbos.

That I haven't quite decided yet. As of now I plan to have one on either side of my screen, but once setup I will use REW (Room Eq Wizard) to help me find the best placement option. If I go with the above layout one will be corner loaded and the other won't have a wall on its side (open basement plan).
post #126 of 6497 Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're more patient than I am. I gave up waiting for the HO and ordered a 3.3 w/turbo last Friday. It should be here tomorrow.

E
post #127 of 6497 Old 03-22-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post

You're more patient than I am. I gave up waiting for the HO and ordered a 3.3 w/turbo last Friday. It should be here tomorrow.

I thought about getting the 3.3 instead but in the end I decided to suffer/sacrifice now and reap the benefits later.

Even worse than that is I just sold my previous sub on Monday so I currently am running without a sub at all; I have my fronts set to large, what a difference
post #128 of 6497 Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Hello all!

So I received my HSU VTF3 MK3 about two weeks ago and not sure if I was expecting more than what I ended up with. Im looking for anyone with a Denon(2807 pref) to post some of their settings and readings up. This is my first actual subwoofer besides an HTIB and like I said I may have been expecting too much but im not feeling the whole "knock your socks off" subwoofer. I emailed HSU and they said it may be the amp because I dont feeling any scratching in the sub cone when pressed gently. I have tried 5 different locations for the sub, all corners and behind the couch where it is now. I have the sub volume at 10 oclock and usually @ -2 on the receiver for music and 0 for movies. My room is roughly 13x30. I feel like im running the sub way too hot (@8 db's) and still not getting that smooth, deep baseline. Also is it common when calibrating the sub to have the db's fluctuate between 3-4 decibals when running test tones?
post #129 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Which eq setting are you using on the Denon? If you are using the Audessey setting try changing to the front or flat eq and see if it sounds better. I have read that the Audessey eq can take away from the bass.

Otherwise I would make sure that you have your sub calibrated, using an spl, equal with the rest of your speakers, if it is too hot you may not have the headroom needed to get the thump you may be looking for.

Good luck
post #130 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyh42 View Post

Hello all!

So I received my HSU VTF3 MK3 about two weeks ago and not sure if I was expecting more than what I ended up with. Im looking for anyone with a Denon(2807 pref) to post some of their settings and readings up. This is my first actual subwoofer besides an HTIB and like I said I may have been expecting too much but im not feeling the whole "knock your socks off" subwoofer. I emailed HSU and they said it may be the amp because I dont feeling any scratching in the sub cone when pressed gently. I have tried 5 different locations for the sub, all corners and behind the couch where it is now. I have the sub volume at 10 oclock and usually @ -2 on the receiver for music and 0 for movies. My room is roughly 13x30. I feel like im running the sub way too hot (@8 db's) and still not getting that smooth, deep baseline. Also is it common when calibrating the sub to have the db's fluctuate between 3-4 decibals when running test tones?

Scotty:

I have a Denon 4306. I am more then happy to share any information I can with you.

Splotto
post #131 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello all!

I have a VTF-3 MK3 still sitting new in its box, and have a Denon 987 (same as 2807) on the way, but my theater isn't quite done yet so I won't be able to try it out for a little while. I remember someone else reporting a problem with very low sub-woofer levels. It may have been on the official Denon 2807 thread. There was a setting that is very confusing, or documented wrong, on the 2807. I can't remember exactly what it was, but the choices were LFE only, or LFE + something else. When this person changed that setting, their sub started to rock. So I suggest reading the Denon 2807 thread for the exact details, in case that is your problem.

Guy
post #132 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

I remember someone else reporting a problem with very low sub-woofer levels. It may have been on the official Denon 2807 thread.

It's this thread. See post #15.
post #133 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the responses. I actually did a full reset on my Denon 2807and started from scratch. I am currently not using the EQ at all. I just went through manually and adjusted my speaker config to the proper levels. I have experimented with the EQ settings but I find most of the levels to dull down my other speakers and not have to much affect on my sub.
As far as calibrating the sub to the same level as the rest of the speakers I dont get much bass at all. I find myself constantly changing the sub level on my receiver for different things. For example when im watching TV I usually have my sub at +2, Music at -2, Movies at 0,--1. I know when I do this it is offsetting the sub so thats its not calibrated with the rest of my speakers but that is the only way I get a decent amount of bass for each activity. Also like I asked earlier is it common to have the SPL fluctuate between 3-4 decibals when calibrating the sub?
post #134 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thank you for the responses. I actually did a full reset on my Denon 2807and started from scratch. I am currently not using the EQ at all. I just went through manually and adjusted my speaker config to the proper levels. I have experimented with the EQ settings but I find most of the levels to dull down my other speakers and not have to much affect on my sub.
As far as calibrating the sub to the same level as the rest of the speakers I dont get much bass at all. I find myself constantly changing the sub level on my receiver for different things. For example when im watching TV I usually have my sub at +2, Music at -2, Movies at 0,--1. I know when I do this it is offsetting the sub so thats its not calibrated with the rest of my speakers but that is the only way I get a decent amount of bass for each activity. Also like I asked earlier is it common to have the SPL fluctuate between 3-4 decibals when calibrating the sub?

Scotty:

Same here. I tried my EQ, and it did give almost perfectly calibrated levels on the speaker volume but when using any of the curves I got distorted sounds from my movies. Speech was real low and music was too high.

I turned EQ off and set my levels with an SPL meter. I am very happy with my HO + MBM.

Splotto
post #135 of 6497 Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM

The SPL meter will fluctuate depending on what you are using for the tone. If it is lets say a 25hz note playing for 5 seconds, it should settle down and show the spl. If it is a wobble tone or a sweeping tone, it will fluctuate. Hope that helps.
post #136 of 6497 Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

For those interested, I contacted HSU to find out when the HO's will be back in stock and they informed me that they are presently on the boat in transit to the states. They are expected to be shipping them out to us during the first week of April. If you have your on backorder as I do they will contact you by email to confirm that you still want your order.

Only about 1.5 weeks to go........I have been strong this long, I can hold on for a few more days
post #137 of 6497 Old 03-25-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For those interested, I contacted HSU to find out when the HO's will be back in stock and they informed me that they are presently on the boat in transit to the states. They are expected to be shipping them out to us during the first week of April. If you have your on backorder as I do they will contact you by email to confirm that you still want your order.

Only about 1.5 weeks to go........I have been strong this long, I can hold on for a few more days

Hello:

I can confirm that. I placed an order for an HO on Friday. I got a call saying it won't ship until the first week of April.

Splotto
post #138 of 6497 Old 03-26-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am also still not completely sure I am getting the performance I am supposed to out of my 3.3 Last night I was running some sweet tones from 100hz down to 0hz from an avia disc. At about 35hz and below the Dbs almost completely drop off and the speaker is barely vibrating and putting out hardly any air.

I have a 3.3 directly behind my loveseat nearfield placement.

How much should the speaker be moving and how much air output should be happening at 35hz and below?

However in movies I feel like I get decent low base (like during earth moving scenes) but I feel like the midrange and upper base is completely and utterly lacking.

I am using front eq setting and have my speakers all calibrated to the same DB including sub using a spl meter.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #139 of 6497 Old 03-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

just ordered a 2.3 today and i'm pumped about it. i live near hsu so i can go pick it up when it is here- was told it would be in in a couple of weeks. i have a pretty nice setup but i have been using an x-sub due to funds. x-sub is a great little sub but it is little. so it will go into my pc setup now.

cant wait to get the 2.3 and will probably get the turbo and add it on in a month or so.

anyhow, i'm knowledgable with speakers and calibrating but, subs - well ths will be my first REAL sub. i have questions about tuning it. calibrating the spl on a sub is easy enough but, never really tuned the x-sub as i knew it woud be moved eventually. does the sub come with a disc? whats the best way to use it for tuning? is tuning essentially getting the flattest response across the boards by placement and port plugs?

also i may place it in a near corner. so until i get the turbo, how much space are you guys leaving behind your subs for the rear ports?

thanks.
post #140 of 6497 Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

I am also still not completely sure I am getting the performance I am supposed to out of my 3.3 Last night I was running some sweet tones from 100hz down to 0hz from an avia disc. At about 35hz and below the Dbs almost completely drop off and the speaker is barely vibrating and putting out hardly any air.

I have a 3.3 directly behind my loveseat nearfield placement.

How much should the speaker be moving and how much air output should be happening at 35hz and below?

However in movies I feel like I get decent low base (like during earth moving scenes) but I feel like the midrange and upper base is completely and utterly lacking.

I am using front eq setting and have my speakers all calibrated to the same DB including sub using a spl meter.

Seth, if you could I would recommend that you either download the Room Eq Wizard or plot your frequency response manually using test tones. This way you can see exactly what type of frequency response you are getting throughout your frequency range.

The Room Eq wizard's details are in the audio forum here on AVS, great program by the way.

Good luck
post #141 of 6497 Old 03-27-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seth, if you could I would recommend that you either download the Room Eq Wizard or plot your frequency response manually using test tones. This way you can see exactly what type of frequency response you are getting throughout your frequency range.

The Room Eq wizard's details are in the audio forum here on AVS, great program by the way.

Good luck

Can I use the microphone that came with my denon 2807 with my laptop and this program?

Do i use a sweep tone with this?

| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #142 of 6497 Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

Can I use the microphone that came with my denon 2807 with my laptop and this program?

Do i use a sweep tone with this?

You will need to hook your SPL meter in to your cpu, and use that as the mic. The program has it's own sweep tones that are part of the program. If you go to http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfd-rew-forum/ you will find tons of info on the REW program. I have been playing with this for about a week now and to me it has a steep learning curve. A lot of people do not seem to have problems setting it up and using it. Here is what the chart looks like from that program.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/marcmc/graph2.jpg

I tried to attach it to this post but did not have any luck. This is for my VTF2-3 in my small room 880cf.
post #143 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

what type of cable are you guys using to hook the spl into your soundcards?
post #144 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomalinois View Post

You will need to hook your SPL meter in to your cpu, and use that as the mic. The program has it's own sweep tones that are part of the program. If you go to http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/bfd-rew-forum/ you will find tons of info on the REW program. I have been playing with this for about a week now and to me it has a steep learning curve. A lot of people do not seem to have problems setting it up and using it. Here is what the chart looks like from that program.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/marcmc/graph2.jpg

I tried to attach it to this post but did not have any luck. This is for my VTF2-3 in my small room 880cf.

I will agree with that! I have been playing with it for a few days now and it is not easy to get set-up or use.

Splotto
post #145 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

what type of cable are you guys using to hook the spl into your soundcards?

Most sound cards require an 1/8 to be plugged in and the SPL meter needs a single RCA to plug in to it. I looked but could not find the parts on RS web page, but they have all the things you will need. This is a post that I started at HTS asking questions, there is tons of info in it as well as links to the help pages. Hope this helps.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ore-i-try.html
post #146 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splotto View Post

I will agree with that! I have been playing with it for a few days now and it is not easy to get set-up or use.

Splotto

Glade it was not just me . I still want to play around with it, but after all the problems I had before I finally got that chart, it is hard to get motivated. Have you been able to get it to work as of yet? If I can help you out I will give it a shot.
post #147 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomalinois View Post

Glade it was not just me . I still want to play around with it, but after all the problems I had before I finally got that chart, it is hard to get motivated. Have you been able to get it to work as of yet? If I can help you out I will give it a shot.

I agree. I lost all motiviation once I couldn't get past some issues.

I resolved to read the REW thread here on AVS and on the source page.

I am using the External SoundBlaster box.

When I used the Creative drivers and software, I couldn't get rid of the wavey pattern of the test sweep for the sound card. However, without the drivers (native XP drivers) I couldn't get the Input and Output levels to within 3 dB. No matter what I tried.

I also can't figure out how to enter the SPL calibration data.

As I said, I am going to read the threads now and see how I do.

Splotto
post #148 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Yes, use the receiver test tones and set them all to the same volume. To get a good reading, I suggest calibrating to 75dB. This will be the "0" or "reference level" on your receiver. Depending on your receiver, this could be where the dial reads "0," or "75," or "50" or wherever.

With a Radio Shack digital SPL meter, you can set it to 70dB or 80dB to get readings for 75dB. You could also consider calibrating to 70dB, which would be your "-5 / 5 below reference level" point. SPL meters are the most accurate at the point they are set to (ie., 70dB) and are good to about +/- 5dB from that. This would make sure the readings around 70dB would be more accurate.

When I go in to set up my levels at default 0 master volume my speakers are around 80+ db. Should I set all of my channel levels to some major -db? This could result in most of my channels being set to like on average -8db instead of calibrating up to 85db with modifyers around +1 - +4db.

post #149 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
You are using the receiver's internal test tones, correct?

If so, try using -5 on the dial as your "reference level" and adjust each channel so that at -5 on the dial, you get 75dB. Calibrating to 70dB for each channel at -10 on the dial would still give you a reference level of -5 on the dial.

If you are using Avia, then the output is at 85dB rather than the 75dB of the receiver's test tones. With Avia, if you set the master dial to 0 and calibrate the speaker levels to give 85dB, that's your reference level. If you use Avia and use -5 on the dial and calibrate the speakers to 80dB, then 0 is still your reference level. It's just easier to calibrate to a round number like 70 or 80.

For the channel levels, keep them within +/- 5 of neutral/0 if you can. You don't want to boost the channels by much more than that. You're better off using a higher master dial volume as your reference level, then.
post #150 of 6497 Old 03-28-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

You are using the receiver's internal test tones, correct?

If so, try using -5 on the dial as your "reference level" and adjust each channel so that at -5 on the dial, you get 75dB. Calibrating to 70dB for each channel at -10 on the dial would still give you a reference level of -5 on the dial.

If you are using Avia, then the output is at 85dB rather than the 75dB of the receiver's test tones. With Avia, if you set the master dial to 0 and calibrate the speaker levels to give 85dB, that's your reference level. If you use Avia and use -5 on the dial and calibrate the speakers to 80dB, then 0 is still your reference level. It's just easier to calibrate to a round number like 70 or 80.

For the channel levels, keep them within +/- 5 of neutral/0 if you can. You don't want to boost the channels by much more than that. You're better off using a higher master dial volume as your reference level, then.

your correct. using internal tones. Thanks for the input. Will recalibrate tonight.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page