***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 244Likes

post #2131 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Same here bud.

wouldn't you need six?

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2036 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I have been in the same boat regarding my hsu subs. I actually have dual 3.3 turbos with dual Mbm12. I was thinking of getting the one conquest to reduce the amount of subs I have. I wanted to sell the dual 3.3 and one Mbm and keep a mbm along with the conquest. I just been battling is it really worth it?

multi subs are good. have you seen the jbl white paper?

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

all those subs is a good thing.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #2133 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I might need to put the sub on the ground to the right side of the couch. Watched Wanted last night, and the projector (sits on same shelf as sub) was shaking a lot with the heavy bass from the sub.

This was bugging me, so last night, after getting back from a week-long business trip, I tried to fix this.

When I had the sub on the floor in the front right corner (lying on its side), I had a large floor seating cushion underneath it. Maybe 30" x 30". This helped de-couple it from the floor so the vibrations didn't go through the floor or the walls. So I moved the "shelf" the sub currently sits on, and which the projector stand also sit on, back away from the couch about 3" (otherwise the sub would be sticking off the edge too far and not be balanced). Then I put the cushion on the shelf, then the sub. This seems to have gotten rid of almost all of the vibrations traveling to the projector during loud bass hits. The slight movement could be just from the air being moved as well.

With this issue fixed, I had fun going through some big bass scenes in movies to feel the impact and be even more satisfied with my VTF3.2. The usuals - LOTR1 (Moria), Tokyo Drift (music bass), Master & Commander, Transformers, Dark Knight, WotW, King Kong, House of Flying Daggers, Matrix, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Harry Potter #2 (quidditch match)... Wowzers all over again. Movies will definitely be that much more enjoyable with this new configuration.
post #2134 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

multi subs are good. have you seen the jbl white paper?

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

all those subs is a good thing.

As long as you can set them up properly and integrate them well, yes, is great to have multiple subs. Wish I had a few more.
post #2135 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

No! I've been doing the same and if anythng, I would go with ULS-15's quads or if I ever get the $$$$, FOUR of 'em.

Bill

As a 3.3 owner, I can't imagine quad 15s
post #2136 of 7053 Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've never had a surround system, but am close, and a friend recommended an HSU VTF-1. I've searched this thread but can't find the answer to my question: How tall are the spikes?... i.e., what is the height, above the carpet, of the bottom of the cabinet?

I'd like to put it in a narrow corner next to a small wooden A/V equipment cabinet. The base of the cabinet (the lower shelf with casters beneath) sticks out 1 1/2" inch from the sides of the cabinet. It's about 3" above the carpet. 1/2" baseboard molding on the wall is also about 3" high.

So, the narrowest point is 15" wide and the VTF-1 is 14" wide. If the spikes raise the cabinet more than 3" above the cabinet molding and the baseboard, I pick up 2" extra clearance, or 17" total.

I dowloaded the manual and they want 1" on each side. I plan to call HSU Monday, but thought maybe some of you could help with a tape measure. Also, do you see any other problems? Thanks, Dan
post #2137 of 7053 Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Hi. I'm considering the HSU Enthusiast 1 or 2 for a home audio/theater. These systems consist of:

VTF-1 sub (VTF-2 MK 3 on the Enthusiast 2)
HB-1MK2 loudspeakers
HC-1MK2 center

Is there anyone in the greater Boston/Worcester area with one of these systems installed? I'd love to give it a listen and ask you a few questions.

Thanks!
David
post #2138 of 7053 Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveloMA View Post

Hi. I'm considering the HSU Enthusiast 1 or 2 for a home audio/theater. These systems consist of:

VTF-1 sub (VTF-2 MK 3 on the Enthusiast 2)
HB-1MK2 loudspeakers
HC-1MK2 center

Is there anyone in the greater Boston/Worcester area with one of these systems installed? I'd love to give it a listen and ask you a few questions.

Thanks!
David

I bought the setup with the VTF-3.3 2 years ago but I sold my speakers and went with the BIC Acoustech towers http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/...d=127&offset=0. They're a lot cheaper and sound way better. I kept my sub though, it is great. And they are designed by Hsu. I would just ask them to subtract the sub.

post #2139 of 7053 Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

I bought the setup with the VTF-3.3 2 years ago but I sold my speakers and went with the BIC Acoustech towers http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/...d=127&offset=0. They're a lot cheaper and sound way better. I kept my sub though, it is great. And they are designed by Hsu. I would just ask them to subtract the sub.

You should listen to the new hb-mk2's. New and improved.

Will
post #2140 of 7053 Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
well after much back and forth debate whether to get a conquest or a 13 ultra, I decided to pick up second 3.3 and also have 2 mbm's. I can't imagine my room taken anymore...of course I said this for the first one. I dialed the gain down on the 3.3's and the result is just pure powerfull lows. Iam amazed with each sub I add, how the sound improves with the lows from all listening positions...truly amazing...Iam done!...maybe.

Iam getting great spl at 16. I am very happy.
post #2141 of 7053 Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

well after much back and forth debate whether to get a conquest or a 13 ultra, I decided to pick up second 3.3 and also have 2 mbm's. I can't imagine my room taken anymore...of course I said this for the first one. I dialed the gain down on the 3.3's and the result is just pure powerfull lows. Iam amazed with each sub I add, how the sound improves with the lows from all listening positions...truly amazing...Iam done!...maybe.

Iam getting great spl at 16. I am very happy.

lol thats what happens when you add more subs, the sound improves through out the room. Maybe now you can get some room treatments? maybe even more subs.

Will
post #2142 of 7053 Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3plew View Post

You should listen to the new hb-mk2's. New and improved.

Not as strong as 6 of those tower speakers.

I use 6 of them with my 3.3 + Turbo and MBM-12 for my 7.1 setup.
post #2143 of 7053 Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Guys,

I have a HSU HO sub for sale if anybody is interested.

Local pickup only. I am in socal area (SGV). Asking $550. I will include the the turbo too. The turbo has a few scracthes (it sat on some debris when I slide inside the closet). I can respray for you if you like).

The sub was purchased May 2007 (still have warranty left). I never play the sub loud. In fact, I barely used the system.

email me at toanntrac@yahoo.com

Tony
post #2144 of 7053 Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Hi, first time poster and nubie on this thread.
I've been upgrading a HTIB, got all the speakers replaced, now I'm about to pull the trigger on a VFT 2.3.
Room is 3400 cubic feet, but connecting kitchen and hallway brings it to 4600.
Can the 2.3 handle this?
My budget won't allow the 3.3, so I'm hoping the 2.3 will be OK. Thinking of trying near field next to SP first.

Got a nubie question. My HTIB receiver's sub-out feeds a small PASSIVE sub now. Output looks to be around 85 watts. Would this be too much input feeding a powered sub? I'm just afraid that I'm gonna blow the amps input by putting too much into it.
I can turn the output down about 6 db.
I'll be upgrading the receiver in about 3 months, but need to use the old one till then.
Can the 2.3 take that sort of input power?

Thanks for all the great info on here; it's made selecting a sub a lot easier.
post #2145 of 7053 Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

That sub should do all right -- especially if you are coming from an HTiB, and especially if you place it nearfield.

Of course you're always better off going with more sub.

Does the HTiB receiver allow you to turn the sub "off"? Can you disable it"? If so, then I suggest running the left/right mains as LARGE, and then run the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub, then to the mains. This will let you use the crossover in the sub itself (set to "IN").
post #2146 of 7053 Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

That sub should do all right -- especially if you are coming from an HTiB, and especially if you place it nearfield.

Of course you're always better off going with more sub.

Does the HTiB receiver allow you to turn the sub "off"? Can you disable it"? If so, then I suggest running the left/right mains as LARGE, and then run the speaker wire from the receiver to the sub, then to the mains. This will let you use the crossover in the sub itself (set to "IN").

Thanks for the fast reply.
My receiver is really pathetic, but it did sound much better than the TV speakers!
Got the Sony HT-ss2000 HTiB, I believe the reciever model is STR KS2000.
Looking thought the manual,
Almost no adjustment can be made, can't even set to large or small, just distance and
-10 db to +10 db from 0 on the levels !! It does claim to deliver 285 watts to the sub!! I don't think that is happening, judging from the size of the receiver.
I'm assuming that powered sub outputs on much better receivers will put out much less wattage, since the sub has an amp?
post #2147 of 7053 Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can't disable the sub in the receiver, then yes, use the speaker level outputs to the sub. You should be okay until you get a new receiver.

On the sub, just turn the sub's crossover off by switching it to "Out" (up position).
post #2148 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I have a Hsu VTF-2 Mk1. It's old but I still love it.

I recently moved it into another part of my house but now I have a question as to which port to plug when in max extension mode. The sub is located in the front corner of the room and the port is firing into a wall with a distance of 4-5 inches in between. Is it better to take the plug from the other port and plug the wall side of the sub. I noticed that the ports are offset so I'm not sure if the plug only works in one port and not the other. If I open up the other side then it will fire at the main speakers and TV.

Another quick question about the phase switch. I have the push button phase switch on mine but I'm not sure which position is 0or 180 is.

Thanks.
post #2149 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great information here..

I've been in "paralysis" mode for about 3 months debating on a new subwoofer.
I finally narrowed it down to the SVS-PB13 Ultra and the ULS-15...

So, went to audition the ULS-15 today at HSU Research and ended up walking out with the VFT3.MK3

Pete (PeteHsu) let me play with all the toys and gave some excellent advice.
Ended up spending less than I had intended and have a wonderful new subwoofer that I expect to enjoy for many years.
(though I still have 30 days no questions asked to return or trade up to ULS-15)

If you have a chance and are in the neighborhood, I strongly recommend a visit to HSU Research.. Nice people, no hassle/pressure, and good advice.

Anyway, glad to be part of the HSU club, thanks!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #2150 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on your new sub.
I wish I had the ability to go to HSU and have Pete demo their subs for me.
post #2151 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

So, went to audition the ULS-15 today at HSU Research and ended up walking out with the VFT3.MK3

Ended up spending less than I had intended and have a wonderful new subwoofer that I expect to enjoy for many years.
(though I still have 30 days no questions asked to return or trade up to ULS-15)

If you have a chance and are in the neighborhood, I strongly recommend a visit to HSU Research.. Nice people, no hassle/pressure, and good advice.

Congrats!! I have a 3.3 that I got a couple of months ago. Its a very nice sub. Please let use know your thoughts after listening and tweaking awhile

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
post #2152 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmill2001 View Post

Hi, first time poster and nubie on this thread.
I've been upgrading a HTIB, got all the speakers replaced, now I'm about to pull the trigger on a VFT 2.3.
Room is 3400 cubic feet, but connecting kitchen and hallway brings it to 4600.
Can the 2.3 handle this?
My budget won't allow the 3.3, so I'm hoping the 2.3 will be OK. Thinking of trying near field next to SP first.

Got a nubie question. My HTIB receiver's sub-out feeds a small PASSIVE sub now. Output looks to be around 85 watts. Would this be too much input feeding a powered sub? I'm just afraid that I'm gonna blow the amps input by putting too much into it.
I can turn the output down about 6 db.
I'll be upgrading the receiver in about 3 months, but need to use the old one till then.
Can the 2.3 take that sort of input power?

Thanks for all the great info on here; it's made selecting a sub a lot easier.

I have a hsu vtf ho for sale. Willing to sale $500 plus shipping.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-ho.html

Sub is still under warranty.

pm me if you are interested.

Tony
post #2153 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can return it and buy its brother the HO. I have one that I am selling. Sub is in excellent condition. Still has warranty.

I will throw in the turbo too (the turbo has a few scratches when i slide it in the closet when I was not using it, it can easily respray).

Asking price 500 firm. I am in socal (covina).

Let me know (toanntrac@yahoo.com)

more info on the HO

Tony
post #2154 of 7053 Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Congrats!! I have a 3.3 that I got a couple of months ago. Its a very nice sub. Please let use know your thoughts after listening and tweaking awhile

Thanks Gov, I definitely will!
Still have it in the wife's car.. gotta unload it when I get off work tonight.
I think it's gonna be a keeper from what I heard in the demo room..
The ULS-15 definitely went lower, but from some reason (I was surprised, anyway) the VFT3 seemed more musical.. gonna have to give it real workout and really tick off my neighbors for a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Congrats on your new sub.
I wish I had the ability to go to HSU and have Pete demo their subs for me.

Thanks Gelinas, yes, I'm pretty fortunate to be so close, it was a real treat.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #2155 of 7053 Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Quote:

I have a 3.3 Turbo and love it. After researching the matter I chose the 3.3 Turbo over the ULS-15 because it seemed to perform at least as well and was far cheaper. It seems to me that the ULS-15 would be most attractive to those with a space or WAF problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

You can return it and buy its brother the HO. I have one that I am selling. Sub is in excellent condition. Still has warranty.

I will throw in the turbo too (the turbo has a few scratches when i slide it in the closet when I was not using it, it can easily respray).

Asking price 500 firm. I am in socal (covina).

Let me know (toanntrac@yahoo.com)

more info on the HO

Not to rain on your parade but it's probably important to understand that Hsu no longer makes the VTF-3 HO:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Don't misunderstand me, I think the HO was a terrific sub but the fact remains that, for whatever reason, Hsu stopped making that model. Why do you want to sell it?
post #2156 of 7053 Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post

As a 3.3 owner, I can't imagine quad 15s

I can cuz I have them.

Kaboom.
post #2157 of 7053 Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have a 3.3 Turbo and love it. After researching the matter I chose the 3.3 Turbo over the ULS-15 because it seemed to perform at least as well and was far cheaper. It seems to me that the ULS-15 would be most attractive to those with a space or WAF problem.

Not to rain on your parade but it’s probably important to understand that Hsu no longer makes the VTF-3 HO:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Don’t misunderstand me, I think the HO was a terrific sub but the fact remains that, for whatever reason, Hsu stopped making that model. Why do you want to sell it?

Just the upgrade itch. Plus I am looking for a smaller footprint.

I am sure just like every company, HSU has to bring new products to the market in order to survive. Products no longer offered doesn't mean its not good .

Btw, the reason the 3.3s are still selling is because its "cheaper" and more affordable to the common.

Tony
post #2158 of 7053 Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I can cuz I have them.

How is the output compared to other HSU subs (HO or 3.3)? I have a pair of 3.3 with a pair of MBM's and can't imagine anything more than that.

Bill
post #2159 of 7053 Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Although I bought a Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo sub in September, the rest of my speakers are old and ordinary. I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V3900 AV receiver to replace my old RX-V2400, which I have had for 5 years and loved. It is obsolete, though, because it lacks HDMI inputs, which prevents me from receiving the new lossless audio Codecs now encoded on many BDs. I now want to upgrade my speakers. Here are the systems I am considering:

Hsu: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast3.html

This is the Enthusiast 3 package, of course.

Axiom: http://www.axiomaudio.com/wizardv2_r...4&A7=C&A8=1728

I would not be buying the Axiom sub.

The prices of the 2 systems are within $30 of one another.

Here is my question. The Axiom center, front, and surround speakers are appealing. Not only are they finished in an attractive cherry, they seem slightly larger and more capable than the same 7 speakers in the Enthusiast 3 package.

The Hsu package is still appealing, though, because it would give me a second 3.3, which I would set in maximum output mode and would leave my existing 3.3 Turbo in maximum extension mode. Although I have been delighted with what the 3.3 Turbo has done for my system, a second 3.3 should serve to give me even smoother bass than I have now.

I bought my first Hsu subs, a pair of the old original HRSW 10s, in the early '90s, so I have a lot of faith in what Hsu does. Also the finish on new Hsu speakers would match that of my existing 3.3.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of any of you who started out with one sub but are now running 2 subs, particularly 2 3.3s or a 3.3 and an MBM. Also, if I'm lucky, maybe somebody here has had some real world experience with the Axioms. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

tractng: I probably did not make clear enough that I think highly of the HO. In fact, had they still been available when I bought my 3.3 Turbo I probably would have bought one.
post #2160 of 7053 Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

gwsat,

That is probably a better subject for the Speakers forum, than the sub forum. There are a lot more options for a 7-speaker setup at 2K than those 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Hsu Research Hb1 Mk2 , Hsu Research Vtf 2mk3 , Hsu Research Hc 1 Mk2 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page