my final decision on my sub... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just wanted to thank everyone here for all the great advice on subs. i've been searching and researching and listening to as many subs as i could for the past couple of months in my price range and space constraints.

initially i had decided on purchasing from svs this week - specifically the 25-31pci due to budget and footprint issues. unfortunately i got hit with 2 things- a hit to the wallet and another space constraint in an already small area. so i feel really bad but, had to rule out svs. they have fantastic service and i want to recommend them to everyone and say thanks to ed, ron and eirk for answering every question i had without any pressure to specifically purchase from them. unfortunately it just wasn't in the cards but, i will definitely look at them down the line. they are great guys.

so anyhow, not to take too much more space here- with my new space limitations i needed a fairly "compact" 12" sub for the room in my price range which had now been halved from around $700 to about $350. needed something quality not a muddy booming mess.

i came across a 2 month old B&W asw 650 that was for sale due to "personal reasons" for an amazing price, still under warranty and in brand new condition with the original sales slip and box, packing materials, manual etc. so i picked it up. i feel in my situation it worked out well for me and my mission set up. maybe not the lowest extending or loudest sub out there but, thats not necessarily what i was after. plus it is a bit smaller for a 12" and it is sealed which in my situation was a plus.

anyways, guys thanks for all the input. the forum is a great place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I were you, I would rather wait & save a little while longer.. and go for what you originally planned (the 25-31NSD). Yes, I know the pain of waiting even longer - but it's definately worth it.. IMO
post #3 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

that doesn't change the size factor and the fact that the only available corner where i was going to and COULD put the 25-31 is now gone. for me that changed it to a box it was either the 2 month old B&W for a great deal or downgrading to a 10" which i didn't want to do. plus a new 10" would be more pricewise w/ shipping etc.

IMHO the b&w is a very nice sub was on my short list and works well for me.

i really wasn't asking for approval the deal is done. i was thanking my fellow forum members and svs service, etc. for all helpful info and time they had given me.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

that doesn't change the size factor and the fact that the only available corner where i was going to and COULD put the 25-31 is now gone. for me that changed it to a box it was either the 2 month old B&W for a great deal or downgrading to a 10" which i didn't want to do. plus a new 10" would be more pricewise w/ shipping etc.

IMHO the b&w is a very nice sub was on my short list and works well for me.

i really wasn't asking for approval the deal is done. i was thanking my fellow forum members and svs service, etc. for all helpful info and time they had given me.

I think I just won the "Stupid reply" of the year Award..

Anyhow.. Sorry, Mr. - I didn't read the entire post of yours.

I actually do have some experience with the B&W 650 you just bought, and it is a decent subwoofer. It sells for ~1000$ here in europe, so you got it for a nice price also. Hope you enjoy it !
post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

no worries . i am actually very pleased with the purchase and it works well with what i have. and for now my upgrades are done. it's been a crazy time the last few months or so. i did a total upgrade on everything and the sub was the last piece. now time to settle back and enjoy the sound, time, energy and $$ i have put into it all.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myggpower View Post

FAR from it.

Randy
post #7 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

FAR from it.

really? so you've compared both subs head to head then? or is this a "i have this so it has to be so much better than what you have; regardless of your personal preferences, tastes, floor space or what you're looking for" thing?
post #8 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i am actually very pleased with the purchase and it works well with what i have.

Thats all that matters.

Sometimes its really hard to imagine the size of some of these subs until you actually start taking measurements. If you have a dedicated room for home theater or a very large family room its much easier to make space, but unfortunately not everyone has that luxury.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

really? so you've compared both subs head to head then? or is this a "i have this so it has to be so much better than what you have; regardless of your personal preferences, tastes, floor space or what you're looking for" thing?

No. I was saying he is far from having the stupid reply of the year. But now we may have a winner.

Randy
post #10 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

No. I was saying he is far from having the stupid reply of the year. But now we may have a winner.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #11 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myggpower View Post

Nahhh Just wait a bit, this just turned into a B&W thread, and Im sure Pulliam will stop by and post his award winning Stupid Reply sooner or later !!!!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 04-08-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL awesome comeback. i can laugh at myself on that one ! sorry for getting defensive. i initally made the thread to thank everyone who offered advice on my purchase. in the back of my mind i guess i was expecting this in some way to turn into a flaming thread. my fault. didn't mean to come off like an a-hole. guess we all can be sometimes...

so ok. .. is the b&w war going to begin now or what so i can lose my "title" ...!
post #13 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well the B&W sucks now i have it here for a couple days . it's going back just doesnt work for me here in my room so back to square one. at first it sounded so much better than the x-sub, now after calibrating it etc. i am disappointed. just can't handle the lower frequency in movies. sound ok with music though. luckily i was given a 7 day window to return it.

looks like i am going to go with the svs after all and just making it fit into the room somehow...
post #14 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE- yep, you were right. the b&w did not do it for me. i talked to ron over at svs today= great guy. he assured me the 25-31 pci would work for me in placement and if not the 45 day guarantee can come into play- which i doubt i will use. i'll just figure out a place for it and squeeze it in.

so we went ahead and put in the order for it tuned to 22hz. hopefully should be here friday. so again thanks for all the info guys and excuse me if i got a little hot. looking at subs so much lately has turned me into a raving lunatic. hopefully this will be the last sub i see for a good while... i think i finally made the right choice.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I doubt if it will be going back. I've been told by folks that have owned it, that it's their favorite sounding SVS sub. The tubes are a bit shocking looking, but easily hidden and much easier to move around. Let us know how you like it

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #16 of 17 Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I doubt if it will be going back. I've been told by folks that have owned it, that it's their favorite sounding SVS sub. The tubes are a bit shocking looking, but easily hidden and much easier to move around. Let us know how you like it

I second that notion. You're going to be very happy. Your neighbors? Not so much.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

25-31pci is on the UPS truck and will be here monday! nice start to a work week...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page