Best Subwoofer under $300 ?? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping to bring back this tread. I need a new sub to match my Peachtree Nova & Canton Ergo 21 DC bookshelf speakers in a small room for a 2-channel audio application (no home theater). I'm currently using a Canton AS 20 but it's not quite cutting it. So, from above, the best options seem to be:

HSU STF-1: $299 + $29 S&H

BIC H-100: $239 + $0 S&H (seemingly a great deal at buy.com)

The other option I'm considering is a Canton ASD-250 (currently $299 + $20 S&H) from accessfories4less.com.

Any recs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM

I have the same dilemma. I need to buy a subwoofer and my budget is around $300. It will be going in my basement in about a 20x30 room. I've spent hours reading this forum and reviews and know all the recommended subs. My big question would be which would be a good sub for music in that price range? I will be using it for about 90% music, 10 % movies.
I have seen many people recommend hsu subs for music, but what compounds my problem is that I live in Canada and even companies that offer free shipping within the US are charging me $100 shipping on top of the price of the speaker. That means even the HSU stf-1 would cost me $400, which is too much for me for a speaker that would be too small for my room in any case.
From what I've read the Dayton sub-120, bic h-100 and pa-120 are great for home theater, but not so great for music.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
post #63 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus99 View Post

I have the same dilemma. I need to buy a subwoofer and my budget is around $300. It will be going in my basement in about a 20x30 room. I've spent hours reading this forum and reviews and know all the recommended subs. My big question would be which would be a good sub for music in that price range? I will be using it for about 90% music, 10 % movies.
I have seen many people recommend hsu subs for music, but what compounds my problem is that I live in Canada and even companies that offer free shipping within the US are charging me $100 shipping on top of the price of the speaker. That means even the HSU stf-1 would cost me $400, which is too much for me for a speaker that would be too small for my room in any case.
From what I've read the Dayton sub-120, bic h-100 and pa-120 are great for home theater, but not so great for music.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

You have 3 problems:

- limited budget
- big room
- limited options in Canada

Whereabouts in Canada are you?

Under those conditions your best bet may be to find someone who is upgrading and selling used.

Have you looked at www.canuckaudiomart.com for used options? There a couple of decent choice right now around $300. Craigslist in your area might show up with something.

Otherwise, save a bit more first; or be disappointed and want to spend more soon (having already spent your first $300 ).

EDIT: Or look into the DIY area for ideas.

post #64 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
I was in this same situation a week ago, trying to figure out the sub for my new home theater that was cheap. I looked at these subs that have been talked about already. I ended up looking at some diy solutions, and that's what I decided on. For right around 300 I can get the performance that will destroy any of the subs in this price range. Now the size of most of the stuff I am looking at are rather large but I am sure you could find something to fit the size you want.

I looked here http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

also tried out some software to try and create my own box which may have given some real good results. If you don't mind doing something like that you should head over to the DIY forum as they have more information, you could most likely put together a great sub for under 200.
post #65 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM

I live in Calgary. I'm iffy about buying used, specially equipment that's already over a decade old, which is what I usually see listed. And unfortunately, my technical skills are limited to tying my shoelaces, so diy isn't an option.
I guess I'm looking for something good for music that can be bought at retail stores.
I had ordered the Cadence csx-12, but was told that shipping would be an extra $90 or so, not including taxes and handling fees, which I felt made the purchase not worth it.
post #66 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus99 View Post

I live in Calgary. I'm iffy about buying used, specially equipment that's already over a decade old, which is what I usually see listed. And unfortunately, my technical skills are limited to tying my shoelaces, so diy isn't an option.
I guess I'm looking for something good for music that can be bought at retail stores.
I had ordered the Cadence csx-12, but was told that shipping would be an extra $90 or so, not including taxes and handling fees, which I felt made the purchase not worth it.

Go to HD.ca and get the BIC F12 for umm...$360 or so which includes shipping. In Canada it would be hard to beat that and it's cheaper than you'll get it by ordering across the border and paying all the shipping, brokerage fee's, duty and taxes.

If you're wanting to just buy 'new' and not used then the F12 would be your best performance for the dollar in Canada.
post #67 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Great post but in general the OP should look for "used" subs out there. Audiogon, avsform, ebay, craiglist and so on have subs for sale.

I agree. Craiglist and Ebay are a great place to find powerful former flagship subs at much cheaper prices. I purchased an older DCM TB-1515 subwoofer for only $200 on ebay. For the price this sub is awesome. It can shake my entire 1300 square foot apartment at half power. Though it could stand to be a little tighter.
post #68 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy0505 View Post

I always see people on this forum touting the ability of the HSU, SVS, ED, BIC, etc., & I have this question on another thread, but I will ask here as well just to make sure that I am making the right decision. I have to stay below $250 (shipped), so automatically the HSU, SVS & ED are out.

With that being said, would you guys still consider the Bic H-100 to be a better sub than the Infinity PS212 or JBL Sub 12? I have really tussled with this at length & I have real trouble buying a sub that I have never listened to at all, which would be the Bic.

Am I making the right decision to get the Bic (even though I cannot hear it) & bypass the Infinity, JBL & Polk? I mean are there any woofers in those lines that would even come close to Bic?

Thanks for the help

I don't even think this was a fair comparison. The Infinity PS212 is listed at 400 watts rms while the Bic H-100 is listed at 150 watts rms. The infinity appears to be twice as powerful as the Bic.
post #69 of 75 Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

I don't even think this was a fair comparison. The Infinity PS212 is listed at 400 watts rms while the Bic H-100 is listed at 150 watts rms. The infinity appears to be twice as powerful as the Bic.

Twice as powerful doesn't mean much, it all depends on the driver's sensitivity and enclosure details etc. In technical terms, twice the power will only give you 3db's more output.

All that aside, a previous poster mentioned he had owned the Infinity sub in question, as well as the PB10-NSD and others. He mentioned that the Infinity did achieve decent output levels although it had little output below 30hz. Whether that matters depends on the buyers preference and/or expectations. It's not like the BIC-H100, PA-120 or HSU STF-1 really go below 30hz with any force anyway so it's a pretty fair comparison. The Infinity likely has more output above 30hz than all 3 of the other subs I mentioned.
post #70 of 75 Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 AM

I've been researching for the same thing (Subwoofer for <$300) for quite some time now. Everything I've found online and on these forums have lead me to the Elemental Designs A2-300. Though its $350 (including free shipping) I feel the extra $50 is well worth it especially since my main use will be for Home Theater. I'll be ordering mine in about another two-three weeks once I can save up the extra cash. I'll let you know my impression once I hear it. But you can search around these forums for other owners reviews on it for now. Good luck!!

BTW its 200w and it gets down to 18hz!! Blows my mind for a $350 sub, cant wait to hear it.
post #71 of 75 Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfranchi View Post

I've been researching for the same thing (Subwoofer for <$300) for quite some time now. Everything I've found online and on these forums have lead me to the Elemental Designs A2-300. Though its $350 (including free shipping) I feel the extra $50 is well worth it especially since my main use will be for Home Theater. I'll be ordering mine in about another two-three weeks once I can save up the extra cash. I'll let you know my impression once I hear it. But you can search around these forums for other owners reviews on it for now. Good luck!!

BTW its 200w and it gets down to 18hz!! Blows my mind for a $350 sub, cant wait to hear it.

+1 good choice
post #72 of 75 Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM

The Polk psw 505 is on sale at Newegg for $189. Is this a reasonable speaker for the money or should I go higher and get one of the other subwoofers discused in this thread?
post #73 of 75 Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie51 View Post

The Polk psw 505 is on sale at Newegg for $189. Is this a reasonable speaker for the money or should I go higher and get one of the other subwoofers discused in this thread?

You might want to find a more current thread cuz this one is pretty old. Try looking and asking in the Budget Subwoofer thread.

Al
post #74 of 75 Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Necro'ing an OLD thread but in case anyone is coming from Google via "best 300 subwoofer"

Here are some 2013 models to consider ... some are outside the $300 budget

$$$ BIC Acoustech PL-200 Hz: 22 - 200
$$ BIC America F-12
$ Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Hz: 25 - 140
$$$ HSU STF-2 Hz: 25 - 200
$$$$ Infinity Primus PS312BK
$$$ JBL ES 150P
$$$ Klipsch Synergy Sub-12HG
$$$ Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
$$$$$ Klipsch RW12D
$$$ Polk Audio PSW125
$$ Polk Audio PSW505
$$$$$ Premier Acoustic PA-150
$$$$ Velodyne Impact 10
$$$$$ Velodyne Impact 12

Legend: $ = roughly 100 USD; more $ does NOT automatically mean better!

Most of them are reviewed if you google: 2013 Best Home Subwoofer Reviews and Comparisons

The BIC Acoustech PL-200, or STF-2 are fantastic values if you can get one for less then 300 clams.

Edit: Added Legend, FR of PL-200 and STF-2, relative prices, Dayton Audio
MistyLen likes this.

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #75 of 75 Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Michaelangelo_ View Post

Necro'ing an OLD thread but in case anyone is coming from Google via "best 300 subwoofer"

Here are some 2013 models to consider ... some are outside the $300 budget

$$$ BIC Acoustech PL-200 Hz: 22 - 200
$$ BIC America F-12
$ Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Hz: 25 - 140
$$$ HSU STF-2 Hz: 25 - 200
$$$$ Infinity Primus PS312BK
$$$ JBL ES 150P
$$$ Klipsch Synergy Sub-12HG
$$$ Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
$$$$$ Klipsch RW12D
$$$ Polk Audio PSW125
$$ Polk Audio PSW505
$$$$$ Premier Acoustic PA-150
$$$$ Velodyne Impact 10
$$$$$ Velodyne Impact 12

Legend: $ = roughly 100 USD; more $ does NOT automatically mean better!

Most of them are reviewed if you google: 2013 Best Home Subwoofer Reviews and Comparisons

The BIC Acoustech PL-200, or STF-2 are fantastic values if you can get one for less then 300 clams.

Edit: Added Legend, FR of PL-200 and STF-2, relative prices, Dayton Audio

Very nice of you!  Thank you!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Bic 8 Inch 100 Watt Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page