XLR cable for subwoofer question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
When using a XLR cable that's 10' or less for a subwoofer, are all XLR cables about the same?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Should be.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 55 Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

When using a XLR cable that's 10' or less for a subwoofer, are all XLR cables about the same?

For the most part, yes. There are differences in the connectors and to a lesser extent on the cable used. For 10' and sub use you will need a pretty awfully made cable to make a difference.

"Information is only as good as the accuracy of the source"
post #4 of 55 Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Hi Jim

I am curious why you are using an XLR cable for a ten foot run? If you have not already bought the XLR cable, you can save some money by using a decent RCA cable. You should not hear any difference between an XLR and an RCA, with a run of 10 feet.

Kind Regards
post #5 of 55 Old 04-26-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm running an XLR cable from a B&K Ref 50 preamp to a SMS-1, then out through a XLR splitter, then onto two subs. (XLR all the way through) Just thought with this setup, I'd run a lower chance of adversely affecting the signal with a XLR cable over a RCA cable.

My question about XLR cables in part came from reading between the lines in a post from Mark Seaton where he was describing the installation he made on a submersive sub installation. He mentioned something about using a quality XLR cable, so I got the impression that there might be a difference worth perusing.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm running an XLR cable from a B&K Ref 50 preamp to a SMS-1, then out through a XLR splitter, then onto two subs. (XLR all the way through) Just thought with this setup, I'd run a lower chance of adversely affecting the signal with a XLR cable over a RCA cable.

My question about XLR cables in part came from reading between the lines in a post from Mark Seaton where he was describing the installation he made on a submersive sub installation. He mentioned something about using a quality XLR cable, so I got the impression that there might be a difference worth perusing.

I might try an inexpensive RCA cable, and see if you feel that anything is lacking. XLRs are typically better for runs over 40 feet.

All the Best
post #7 of 55 Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
XLRs always provide greater connection security than do RCA connections, regardless of the length of the cables.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 55 Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

XLRs always provide greater connection security than do RCA connections, regardless of the length of the cables.

Ditto! They are a better system all around. Their only drawbacks would be cost and size (connector size and cable diameter).

"Information is only as good as the accuracy of the source"
post #9 of 55 Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
ok so for a 3 meter cable which would be better XLR or RCA, the subwofer would be sub 25 from paradigm?

I have been reading that for short runs RCA is better is thiscorrect? also i have read you might lose some bass with xlr cables?

My cables of choice would be

XLR:AUDIOPHILE® MkII BALANCEDAUDIO INTERCONNECT
http://www.ultralinkcables.com/#/products/platinum/

RCA:QED Signature Subwoofer
http://www.qed.co.uk/94/gb/product/s.../subwoofer.htm

which of these would be the better choice for the paradigm sub 25

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #10 of 55 Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM

You should not lose bass with any properly-constructed cable.

It's not accurate to say that XLR cables sound better, just that they are less prone to interference and other problems that can crop up with single-ended cables.

You'll probably be just fine using either type of interconnect.
post #11 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

RCA guys always argue that cost is a factor. The difference between the cost of similar quality & length RCA or XLR cables should only be a couple of dollars. My thought is if your receiver and sub support XLR why would you even think of using an RCA cable. The converse is that I don't feel that you have to buy a sub and receiver that support XLR just for the sake of having them. Even if everything else is equal just having the secure locking XLR connection is worth a few extra bucks to me.

The place I buy cables from sell a 30' XLR cable for $13 how much are you gonna save buying an RCA cable that length. The other thing I hate about RCA cables is that each manufacturer has their own tolerances for fit. Some cables are loose others too tight, XLRs don't have that problem.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #12 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

I have been reading that for short runs RCA is better is thiscorrect? also i have read you might lose some bass with xlr cables?

Both statements are completely false. Go with XLR if both ends of your system support it and don't spend more than $25 on a 25' XLR cable. If you can show me a measurable audible difference between an inexpensive XLR and the expensive ones you're looking at I will be very impressed.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #13 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The only time I have ever had a problem with an XLR in home theater was with one that was defective. It was also a very short cable in the rack. I would source it from a music store. My experience with Live Wire has been good, but most should be fine for this low impact service.
post #14 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Attachment 165391

Attachment 165392Attachment 165392Attachment 165392Thank you guys,

My receiver only has RCA connection pic is attached and the sub 25 has both XLR and RCA connecttions pic attached.

Which way sold i go ? I know ifi go XLR i have to buy anadapter for the XLR.
LL
LL

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #15 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 187
There really isn't any advantage to going that route. Once you convert to RCA you lose most of the advantage of the XLR anyway.
The only benefit is a more 'positive' connection at the sub's connector. But, that is no really a big deal unless you move your sub routinely while connected.

XLR is best when you are connecting XLR to XLR, a balanced connection has advantages.

post #16 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

Hi Jim,

"Quality" in context of my statements related to build quality, not cost and not really sound quality. I'd recommend against the cheap Hosa brand and comparable cables you might find in many local pro audio stores. For a very modest amount more you can get top quality cables from pro audio suppliers like Markertek. These are what I generally use and recommend, which costs all of $19 for a 10' cable. There are other options as well, but I do prefer the hand screw off style boot of the Nuetrik XLR connectors in case you have to do any quick modifications of the shield connection on either end. These are very flexible and nice to handle with very low noise cable (no, not a huge issue in the home) and quality connectors. Monoprice has XLR cables even cheaper, and they have pretty connectors, but my experience with the RCA cables is that they work fine but are quite stiff in handling and routing. Sometimes it's no big deal, other times it can be annoying. You're call.

While it would be a stretch to say an XLR connection will have a dramatic sonic difference, the connectors are just much higher confidence and nicer to work with, and since the pro audio world uses them so extensively, "good" cables are available for fractions the price asked for overly pretty home audio cables.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #17 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM

looks good
post #18 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM

very nice
post #19 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I remember mark telling me about those cables he uses I checked the website out lots of cables there but it still does not help me which way to go.

At trutone electronics they had the sub 25 hooked up by RCA cables. The rca cable I mentioned above in the link how good is it? It has one a few awards and got great reviews

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #20 of 55 Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remember mark telling me about those cables he uses I checked the website out lots of cables there but it still does not help me which way to go.

At trutone electronics they had the sub 25 hooked up by RCA cables. The rca cable I mentioned above in the link how good is it? It has one a few awards and got great reviews

Cable quality is really not issue for short runs unless the cable is sooo bad that it is obvious, like thin as a hair, crackling from loose fitment, insulation cracked, etc.

Try bluejeans cables. The cables you need are affordable and well made.

Keep in mind you are tyically only going a couple of feet. Just about any moderately priced cables will do fine and not be audibly different from those costing much more. Monster cables have made a living off of the cabling hype. My favorite is the $150 3 ft. HDMI cable.

If your reciever and sub are both RCA it is pointless to convert back and forth.

post #21 of 55 Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

RCA cable it is the, i will go withthe QED cables they always get good reviews with shippng from the U.K about $120 bucks

http://www.qed.co.uk/ft.htm?p=2 glossary of terms used

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #22 of 55 Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:

RCA cable it is the, i will go withthe QED cables they always get good reviews with shippng from the U.K about $120 bucks

I'd use this, and save $115 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I highly doubt you will ever hear any difference in SQ. High priced cables are a marketers dream.
post #23 of 55 Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo View Post

I'd use this, and save $115 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I highly doubt you will ever hear any difference in SQ. High priced cables are a marketers dream.

Ya, you got that right.
I wouldn't pay more than $10-$20 in a million years as they say.

post #24 of 55 Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

I might go with ultra link cables instead i can get them with a good hook up and i have them as my speaker cables which they are really good.

I will look into it then, i better not rush and waste my $$$ thanks for the suggestions

Ultra link RCA cables are balanced http://www.ultralinkcables.com/#/pro...ompare/POWERED SUBWOOFER CABLES/

they also have a platinum line for some reason the llink wiill take time to load up the cables just look under powered subwoofer cables

Question for everyone since i have 2 sub connections in the back of my receiver should i get a y cord? and use both connections or it does not work that way

or these cables i use the hdmi cables from this company http://www.atlona.com/pdf/manuals/AT22030.pdf
LL

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #25 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 AM

XLR cables use 3 wires (2 signal, out of phase and a common ground) to reduce noise in long cable runs. RCA cables use 2. RCA cables can't be "balanced".

XLR cables provide absolutely no advantage for you if your receiver doesn't have an xlr connection. You would have to get an XLR cable with an RCA adapter, which defeats the purpose of having a balanced cable (there's no 3rd connection to reduce noise).

Your receiver only has one sub out connection, the other sub connection is for multi-channel input so no Y cable is necessary, unless you are running multiple subs. Y'ing two receiver sub out connections to a single sub is unnecessary anyway.
post #26 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarin006 View Post

XLR cables use 3 wires (2 positives out of phase and a common negative) to reduce noise in long cable runs. RCA cables use 2. RCA cables can't be "balanced".

XLR cables provide absolutely no advantage for you if your receiver doesn't have an xlr connection. You would have to get an XLR cable with an RCA adapter, which defeats the purpose of having a balanced cable (there's no 3rd connection to reduce noise).

Your receiver only has one sub out connection, the other sub connection is for multi-channel input so no Y cable is necessary, unless you are running multiple subs. Y'ing two receiver sub out connections to a single sub is unnecessary anyway.

Thanks i wil definitly go with RCA but the ultralins say they are balanced

SUBSONIX® POWERED
SUBWOOFER CABLE ADVANCED PERFORMANCE SERIES

Geometry: Directional, Balanced Twisted-Pair Array

Conductor: Ultra-high purity, Lab-Grade 6N (99.99997% pure) copper

Dielectric: Low capacitance, LDPE dielectric insulation

Shielding: Double-shielded (AL Mylar® foil + directional ground)'s

Termination:
Precision machined RCA's with 24K direct gold-plated contacts

AUDIOPHILE® MkIIAUDIO INTERCONNECT PLATINUM SERIES

Geometry: Time-Aligned™, Tri-Gauge™ directionally balanced twisted-pair

Conductor: Cryogenically-treated, ultra-high purity, Lab-Grade 6N copper

Dielectric: Ultra-low capacitance LDPE dielectric insulation

Shielding: Double-shielded (AL Mylar® foil + full copper braid)

Outer Jacket: TechFlex® protective outer braid + Directional Ring

Termination: PATENTED VACUUM SPRING-LOCK®, Teflon® insulated, 24K gold-plated RCAs

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #27 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The wires inside the cable may be balanced, but the RCA connectors are NOT.

The statements of "Directional" and "Time-Aligned" are also highly suspect!

Kevin
post #28 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.ultralinkcables.com/guides/Ultralink_20Q.pdf

This explains the science behind their cables. Remeber the do own XLO cables and they use that technology o their cables. XLO cables re exspensive.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #29 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

The wires inside the cable may be balanced, but the RCA connectors are NOT.

The statements of "Directional" and "Time-Aligned" are also highly suspect!

The only thing that makes a cable directionall are the terminations on the cable (ie: they are different terminations).

There is no such thing as "time-aligned" cables.

John
post #30 of 55 Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

The only thing that makes a cable directionall are the terminations on the cable (ie: they are different terminations).

There is no such thing as "time-aligned" cables.

hi,

in the link i attached which explain their tec it talks about time aliagned and what it means go to page 5 and down is where it starts

tell me if all that makes sense, the guy i get my cables from swears by them and many ther people in the industry according t to him. I know what ur going to say but he is a friend of the wife

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers