GIK ACOUSTICS: Does Anyone Have any Experience with this Company? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 74 Old 05-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had some difficulty with some panels that I had ordered about a year ago (minor defect), and I was truly impressed with the high level of customer service that I received. I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

Evan

P.S.
I only wish I could say that about all the companies I purchased my home theater equipment from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I first met Glenn and Bryan at last year's Rocky Mountain Audiofest. We asked them to treat our room and they did a super job. The products offer first rate performance and quality at a very reasonable price . . . things I personally believe very strongly in. GIK will be treating our room at RMAF again this year, wouldn't have it any other way. And, we've got a project starting locally we'll be using GIK for as well.

Mike Dzurko
Audio Concepts, Inc. (ACI)
post #63 of 74 Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post

When you use the hooks that Glenn suggested, together with the wire hanger in the panel frame, the panel sits flush right up against the wall.

Tim

Tim very good point!

Glenn

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #64 of 74 Old 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I bought the hooks that Glen suggested, and they were great.

Thanks for the idea.

Michael
post #65 of 74 Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dzurko View Post

I first met Glenn and Bryan at last year's Rocky Mountain Audiofest. We asked them to treat our room and they did a super job. The products offer first rate performance and quality at a very reasonable price . . . things I personally believe very strongly in. GIK will be treating our room at RMAF again this year, wouldn't have it any other way. And, we've got a project starting locally we'll be using GIK for as well.

Mike I am really looking forward to the show this year. Just so EVERYONE knows, after spending 3 days in Mikes room I am now a proud owner of his speakers. THEY ROCK.

Glnn

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #66 of 74 Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 24
Just got my 4 tri bass traps today. Did a quick placement and audio testing of tracks I know well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the bass traps sucked all the bass out of the room. Bass sounds muffled and undervolumed. It's like the bass trap, uhhm, "trapped" my bass. I Will need to do more tests. My issues could be that I sit in a rather open area, about 5 meters behind me is open.

The product itself looks well made,though I do have some dents in the corners, maybe due to shipping problems. But still an impressive looking product.

UPDATE: as mentioned below, after increasing the volume on the two subwoofers which are inside each goldenear triton two, the sound was really great. I think the bass traps simply leveled out a ton of peaks and valleys and therefore the original volume level didn't cut it anymore. Raising the volume a bit (around 11 oclock of you own this speaker) made a huge difference. I"m getting a measurement mic next week to do some scientific testing, but until then I'm really liking it. I think I'll get some art panels and 242 panels next.
post #67 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
When you test are you going by ear or measuring? What you like is ultimately important but if you've gotten used to the bass being accentuated in certain areas, the traps could have leveled it out more and the result sounds anemic.
post #68 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

When you test are you going by ear or measuring? What you like is ultimately important but if you've gotten used to the bass being accentuated in certain areas, the traps could have leveled it out more and the result sounds anemic.

I agree, when you remove the modal peaks and ringing the bass won't sound the same. Also did you re-calibrate your system after the addition?
post #69 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM

Yes, it does sound "anemic" to me, that's a good word to describe it. I have yet to recalibrate my system but I did test only under pure audio mode and made sure audessey is turned off in all listening tests.

By the way today things sounded a little better. I guess I'll need to check with my power amp setup which is not connected right now. I used the second traps on each side as a "reflection point" panel, it definetley made imaging more focused. Guess I need to order more panels due to the open area setup I have, I just fear of ordering more stuff when I don't get good results with the first attempt...

What would be a "poor man's" calibration setup? I have read a specific mic being recommended by both gik and realtraps which I recall had a decent price. But I will also need a fairly good XLR based DAC connected to my laptop, no?

EDIT: I reread Ethan Winer's post on room measurement located here:
http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm#1

I also noticed that the calibration company he recommends now sells a calibrated mic that has a USB output so I think this might negate the need for an additional sound card? I just connect the mic to the laptop with a USB cable and I'm good to go, no?

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html
post #70 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have omni mic so not sure. It will help a lot when you can see what's going on.
post #71 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM

Just noticed this in the article:

"Added January 7, 2013: The Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB Microphone can be used with any Windows or Mac computer and doesn't require a separate preamp."

I think that's all I need. I also have an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC as an output device, this shouldbe all the gear I need for testing. Nice of them to save me another 120$ for a sound card biggrin.gif.
post #72 of 74 Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I use the dayton omnimic as well, the usb mics weren't available at the time and i like the simplicity. Here is a thread on the since released usb mics.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs
post #73 of 74 Old 11-01-2013, 03:46 AM

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, I'll keep an eye on it.

By the way, I feel a little silly now - I think all I needed to do was increase the subwoofer volume (there's a dial on each speaker). Seems a bit counterintuitive, but it makes sense when you think about it. Since the low frequencies are now leveled out, I can go to a higher volume than before without it feeling uncomftable. Hotel California on SACD sounded spectacular, and now Marvin Gaye asks what's going on a clearly as possible smile.gif

I will do some more measurable tests once the mic is here.

Thanks for all your help.
post #74 of 74 Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad it's working out for you.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page