post #271 of 7138 Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Have any of you heard both an Outlaw ex and an AV123 mfw-15? I have the mfw-15 scheduled to arrive in a few weeks but recently have started to think about switching to a down-firing sub due to active kids/room config. Looks are important which is why I had these two on my radar all along.

What will I be giving up with the outlaw? Range seems similar so I assume just overall "impact" due to the 15 inch versus 12 inch?

There's no replacement for displacement, I would stick with the 15" MFW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7138 Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Hey Curtis I may have confused myself. Correct me if I am wrong, but the down-firing ports help to reduce port noise right? So, the higher the distortion the more port noise becomes audible. Am I correct here? If not, then what causes port noise??? That is one thing I do not care for is port noise. The only time I have heard any was when the driver bottomed out. I am still a bit confused here. Care to help as I know you seem to know a lot about this stuff.

OK...that's different.

Down firing could help mask the port noise (the thought being the noise can be absorb by the carpet), but it is still there. Port noise is certainly distortion, but is not the only source for distortion.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #273 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Have any of you heard both an Outlaw ex and an AV123 mfw-15? I have the mfw-15 scheduled to arrive in a few weeks but recently have started to think about switching to a down-firing sub due to active kids/room config. Looks are important which is why I had these two on my radar all along.

What will I be giving up with the outlaw? Range seems similar so I assume just overall "impact" due to the 15 inch versus 12 inch?

I agree, stay with mfw-15!

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #274 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

I have an overall question for the rest of the Outlaw group... how much power are you running the rest of your system with? I currently have a NAD T754 which is only 70wpc. I am thinking of adding an additional amp to increase the power. My reasoning is.. with the added power to the rest of the system, I am hoping to get even more impact from the LFM-1 EX and MBM-12 combo. It feels like they are just coasting while the NAD is near its limit on driving the rest of the speakers. Your thoughts and input is needed!

Mains - Triangle Antal - 120 watts (240 peak)
Center - Triangle Odyssey Minor - 80 watts (160 peak)
Rears - M&K K4 - 150 watts max
Room Size - a very open 2,300 cubic feet
Listening - 70% HT 30% music

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #275 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

OK...that's different.

Down firing could help mask the port noise (the thought being the noise can be absorb by the carpet), but it is still there. Port noise is certainly distortion, but is not the only source for distortion.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #276 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
^ any reviews yet?^^ Audiofreak?
post #277 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

^ any reviews yet?^^ Audiofreak?

No not yet Mike. I have not received the Plus yet. It just shipped today. My MOM just had a lung biopsy so things are hectic right now. She will be getting the results tomorrow. I have to look after her as my siblings do what they can. I also just bought a new TV stand and have to take everything apart and reconnect. All of this will take a bit of time to get it all dialed in just right. Sorry, but it may be a bit yet. Am sure you understand. BTW, my name is Phil.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #278 of 7138 Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Audiofreak, sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything is ok.

I just got my plus last week, and although I haven't had time to really set it up right, I can say that it has improved my ht exponentially (Polk M10b's, csi3, rtfx's, Pioneer Elite vsx80txv, Oppo 981). I have a 3000cf room and watching Pirates of the Carribean 3 there's a part at the title scene where a coin drops, lots of low rumbling that I could feel. The malestrom scene was a house shaker, and I don't have it set what I would call hot either. The cannons and explosions were crisp sounding, it made noise when it was supposed to, and it made what it was supposed to.

We watch quite a few concert dvd's, The sound matches the kick drums vibrating on the plasma, and I can hear bass notes I haven't heard before, but it's fairly subdued on the music track (unless my wife wants me to turn it up), which is what I wanted. No irritating boomy thumping for me thank you very much, I just want to hear what's on the track.

I'm on vacation next week, and I'll spend some more time trying to get it right, I'll try to report back then. I'll try some cd's and see how it really does on music then.
post #279 of 7138 Old 05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post

Audiofreak, sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything is ok.

I just got my plus last week, and although I haven't had time to really set it up right, I can say that it has improved my ht exponentially (Polk M10b's, csi3, rtfx's, Pioneer Elite vsx80txv, Oppo 981). I have a 3000cf room and watching Pirates of the Carribean 3 there's a part at the title scene where a coin drops, lots of low rumbling that I could feel. The malestrom scene was a house shaker, and I don't have it set what I would call hot either. The cannons and explosions were crisp sounding, it made noise when it was supposed to, and it made what it was supposed to.

We watch quite a few concert dvd's, The sound matches the kick drums vibrating on the plasma, and I can hear bass notes I haven't heard before, but it's fairly subdued on the music track (unless my wife wants me to turn it up), which is what I wanted. No irritating boomy thumping for me thank you very much, I just want to hear what's on the track.

I'm on vacation next week, and I'll spend some more time trying to get it right, I'll try to report back then. I'll try some cd's and see how it really does on music then.

Thanks a bunch Rivrrat for the kind words. I also want to thank you for the info with respect to the Plus. Mine is on its way here. However, my MOM was told today she has lung cancer. She has a real battle ahead of her.

post #280 of 7138 Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hello Phil,

I am very sorry to read the bad news about your Mother. It really puts things in perspective. You and your Mother will be in our prayers.

Larry
post #281 of 7138 Old 05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hello Phil,

I am very sorry to read the bad news about your Mother. It really puts things in perspective. You and your Mother will be in our prayers.

Larry

Thanks so very much Larry. We both appreciate it. For the next 3-weeks she will be undergoing a lot of medical tests in order to determine whether or not she can have the growth removed from her lung. Right now, it does NOT look like my Mom can stand the surgery which means she will have to have radiation therapy. Her doctor wants to move rather quickly before it progresses. Hopefully, it has NOT spread. We will know soon. She is in God's hands and all I ask if when it is her time to go she not suffer any more than she has to. You are correct in that things NOW have been put into perspective.

post #282 of 7138 Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM

phil,

my mom is going through treatment for throat cancer, so I am in the same boat you are. my best to you and your family.
post #283 of 7138 Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegoat View Post

phil,

my mom is going through treatment for throat cancer, so I am in the same boat you are. my best to you and your family.

Hey, thank you so much. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. My sis had the same thing and she is cancer free thus far. Never give up my friend as there is always HOPE. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. God bless.

Cheers,

Phil

post #284 of 7138 Old 05-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Liked: 13
Just received an email from Outlaw...LFM-2's are on sale until June1 for 199.00 each. WOO HOO!
post #285 of 7138 Old 05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post

Just received an email from Outlaw...LFM-2's are on sale until June1 for 199.00 each. WOO HOO!

ya, one of them lil guys would go great next to my theater chairs!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #286 of 7138 Old 05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Fellow Owners,

I have just received my second LFM-1+ for my dedicated 2,850 cubic foot Home Theater. First, I want to thank Scott at Outlaw Audio for extending me the (2) LFM-1+ discount after 45 days with the first sub. He didn't have to do this and I really appreciate the great customer service at Outlaw.

My Wife & I are avid HD Movie watchers and both of us like sound & sound effects as we watch. The soundscape pulls us in to what we are watching and we both love the LFE channel. The only music we listen to is what is in the movie or a concert HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

I have Polk speakers set-up in a 7.0 system with the -3dB points of the various speakers between 50 to 60 dBs. The AVR I have is an Onkyo 805 and I have EQ'ed the set-up with the built-in Audyssey software and 8 points around our sofa. I have balanced all SP levels using the 805's test tones with the RS SPL Meter to read 75 dBs and the individual subs are reading 78 dBs. Together they are producing 82 dBs.

I have the first LFM-1+ located 2-3' behind the centerline of the sofa running parallel along the back (short) wall. I located the other sub in the front right corner of the TR running parallel along the long wall of the TR. Both subs are in max extension mode. I just watched Master & Commander [SD] and all I can say is WOW!

To the owners with multiple subs, where are your subs located and how do you have them configured? Any suggestions for me?

TIA,

Larry
post #287 of 7138 Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello Fellow Owners,

I have just received my second LFM-1+ for my dedicated 2,850 cubic foot Home Theater. First, I want to thank Scott at Outlaw Audio for extending me the (2) LFM-1+ discount after 45 days with the first sub. He didn't have to do this and I really appreciate the great customer service at Outlaw.

My Wife & I are avid HD Movie watchers and both of us like sound & sound effects as we watch. The soundscape pulls us in to what we are watching and we both love the LFE channel. The only music we listen to is what is in the movie or a concert HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

I have Polk speakers set-up in a 7.0 system with the -3dB points of the various speakers between 50 to 60 dBs. The AVR I have is an Onkyo 805 and I have EQ'ed the set-up with the built-in Audyssey software and 8 points around our sofa. I have balanced all SP levels using the 805's test tones with the RS SPL Meter to read 75 dBs and the individual subs are reading 78 dBs. Together they are producing 82 dBs.

I have the first LFM-1+ located 2-3' behind the centerline of the sofa running parallel along the back (short) wall. I located the other sub in the front right corner of the TR running parallel along the long wall of the TR. Both subs are in max extension mode. I just watched Master & Commander [SD] and all I can say is WOW!

To the owners with multiple subs, where are your subs located and how do you have them configured? Any suggestions for me?

TIA,

Larry

Hi Larry, and congrats on your 2nd Plus. Mine should be here right after the holiday. Care to post a few pics? We would love to see how you have them placed. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Phil

post #288 of 7138 Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Phil,

Will do!

Larry
post #289 of 7138 Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Phil,

Attached are my pics. I really don't have a good camera and my room is very dark. I have each sub sitting on a piece of wood until I can purchase some MDF and paint it to match the carpet.

Larry
LL
LL
LL
post #290 of 7138 Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 PM

larry,

nice set up, I love the smegal peeking out from the couch
post #291 of 7138 Old 05-24-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Phil,

Attached are my pics. I really don't have a good camera and my room is very dark. I have each sub sitting on a piece of wood until I can purchase some MDF and paint it to match the carpet.

Larry

Very nice Larry!!!! Things are looking good and I am sure they sound good too. Thanks for the pics. Wished they were a bit lighter. However, at least we have a better idea of how your set-up looks. You should be proud my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

post #292 of 7138 Old 05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegoat View Post

larry,

nice set up, I love the smegal peeking out from the couch

Thanks littlegoat,

BTW, smegal talks to you as you walk by him. Scares the you-know-what out of the women-folk

Larry
post #293 of 7138 Old 05-25-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice Larry!!!! Things are looking good and I am sure they sound good too. Thanks for the pics. Wished they were a bit lighter. However, at least we have a better idea of how your set-up looks. You should be proud my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks Phil,

My Daughter has a better camera and when she stops by, I'll give it another shot!

BTW, two of these bad boys sound amazing. I had 5 friends over last night and after our movie, I played songs from various concert BR & HD-DVD and all five of them were speechless.

Larry
post #294 of 7138 Old 05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Phil,

My Daughter has a better camera and when she stops by, I'll give it another shot!

BTW, two of these bad boys sound amazing. I had 5 friends over last night and after our movie, I played songs from various concert BR & HD-DVD and all five of them were speechless.

Larry

Oh man you are tempting me........LOL!!!! I am sure (2) does sound amazing. Looking forward to the better pics. Have yourself a safe holiday weekend my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

post #295 of 7138 Old 05-25-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Phil,

Same to you!!!!

Still waiting on the MIA Daughter.

Larry
post #296 of 7138 Old 05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Phil,

Same to you!!!!

Still waiting on the MIA Daughter.

Larry

Well Larry have you found her yet? I have a daughter that is 19 and she is hard to find most of the time....LOL!!!!! Anyways, hope to be able to pick up my Plus tomorrow after work. If not, then I may not be able to get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Anyways, let me know when you can get some more pics up my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

post #297 of 7138 Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM

So, I watched Jumanji yesterday, and I was just not satisfied with how my Lfm 1 plus was doing. I strongly suspected it had a lot to do with the floor it's sitting on. Living in the SW we have saltillo tile on concrete, and I felt it was causing the deep bass to muddle a bit.

I played around with my crossover settings on the receiver, and still settled on my mains set to large and crossed over at 50 hz. I have a pair of Polk monitor 10b's, and when I set them to small or cross them over at 80, I just feel I loose to much lower mid/upper bass that they do better then the sub ( Polk specs say they don't roll off till 37 hz). Although I'm sure if I was using bookshelves, I'd feel differently

Saltillo's are not a smooth level surface, and I could never get the sub completely stable to my satisfaction on all four feet, so I put a couple of 3/4 wood furring strips the length of the sub under the spikes, and that did a good job of stablizing it. I played the malestrom scene in Pirates of the Carribean, at Worlds End, (my reference scene right now) and It helped, but it still seemed a bit undefined, so I put a bath towel under the sub. That muffled it a lot, to the point that it took away most of the impact. So, I put a much smaller kitchen towel under the driver, and that is the ticket.

Now when the cannons fire, I can hear each cannon fire individually much better than before. It seems a lot less just a blended LFE scene, and now the various explosions and crashes are pretty well defined. I'm going to try a couple of more settings, along with some other stuff as damping material under the driver, but it has made a real difference.
post #298 of 7138 Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Rivrrat,

I feel your pain. I had the same result with the opposite problem of the LFM-1+ sinking too far down into thick carpet. I am testing out real wood, MDF and also looked at this product:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude/

Larry
post #299 of 7138 Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well Larry have you found her yet? I have a daughter that is 19 and she is hard to find most of the time....LOL!!!!! Anyways, hope to be able to pick up my Plus tomorrow after work. If not, then I may not be able to get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Anyways, let me know when you can get some more pics up my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

My Daughter is now AWL.

I tried again with this cheap camera and attached some more pictures. I hope you are picking up your LFM-1+ today. I am really looking forward to your comments.

BTW, my Wife is all about balance and symmetry. She will move stuff countless number of times to find the right balance and "Look". After watching a movie, she noticed I was a bit forlorn and asked me what is wrong. I said the TR is not "Balanced"....I need another sub in the front left corner of the room for "Balance".

Here are some pics of the TR. The room is 15' wide by 20' long and used to be our dining room!

Take care,

Larry
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #300 of 7138 Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Look at the gramma it'll be a much better fit for our sub. I haven't ruled out getting one either.

I'll get it dialed in just right yet. I've already spent the money, now it's just time.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page