AVS Forum banner

Official Outlaw Owners thread

604K views 8K replies 682 participants last post by  basshead81 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just thought I would start an Outlaw owner's thread since I searched and didn't find one. I noticed there have been more inquiries about this brand lately and that a thread like this would have really helped me in my recent search. So.. if you have an Outlaw subwoofer or know anything about it, chime in!

See less See more
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk /forum/post/13878933

There's been no official word yet, but there was some mention of new products in the pipeline last fall (in an October newsletter) - at that point, they had one or more product stuck waiting on the Cirrus 49700 DSP chip. Since I've seen reports from elsewhere indicating that the 49700 remained delayed at least an additional six months, with samples not shipping to manufacturers until about a month ago (although I haven't really figured out where the chip stands as far as large-scale production or approval from the folks like Dolby and DTS). If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we're still months away from any HDMI 1.3 hardware from Outlaw - and we're as likely to see that first piece be a processor like the 990 as we are to see a receiver like the 1070. Sorry I can't be more help...

Thanks for the info Gonk!!

#253 ·
Hey folks, just ordered a new LFM-1Plus!!!!!! I have owned both the SVS PB10-NSD and the PB12-NSD. Also have owned a Mirage S12 and Hsu VTF-3MKIII. Currently, I own a Mirage S10 but will now give an Outlaw LFM-1Plus a chance. Just hope it measures up. My new dedicated ht room is much smaller coming in at only 706 ft. ^3 that is fully enclosed. Thus, the Mirage S10 does a superb job but just want more of it. I do believe the LFM-1Plus will do the job. It is kinda scary what the Plus may do in such a small ht room. The Mirage S10 is now up for sale!!!!!!

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach /forum/post/13885705

Hi audiofreak38,

Congratulations on your LFM-1+ purchase.

Please stop back and tell all of us how the 1+ stacks up with the rest of the subs you have experienced. I am really interested in the comparison to the Hsu & SVS.

Larry

Hi Larry. Well, to be fair most of all of the subs I have owned were in my former ht room which was much larger and open to other rooms. With that said, it really would not be a fair comparison. I will say, however, that of all the subs mentioned the VTF3.3 was significantly better with music. The same holds true with respect to the PB12-NSD and ht performance. The rest were no slouches in that regard. Keep in mind too, that the PB12-NSD has been improved. I also preferred the pitch of the PB10-NSD the best of all. What surprises me is just how good the Omni S10 performs. It really does not sound like a 10" driver but larger. I just want more of it and I do believe the Plus is up to the challenge. I will post my initial impressions as soon as I can.

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 /forum/post/13885931

Hi Larry. Well, to be fair most of all of the subs I have owned were in my former ht room which was much larger and open to other rooms. With that said, it really would not be a fair comparison. I will say, however, that of all the subs mentioned the VTF3.3 was significantly better with music. The same holds true with respect to the PB12-NSD and ht performance. The rest were no slouches in that regard. Keep in mind too, that the PB12-NSD has been improved. I also preferred the pitch of the PB10-NSD the best of all. What surprises me is just how good the Omni S10 performs. It really does not sound like a 10" driver but larger. I just want more of it and I do believe the Plus is up to the challenge. I will post my initial impressions as soon as I can.

audiofreak - you should have stayed with the HSU! Even in the smaller room, there is no such thing as overkill
!

#257 ·
moved

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb /forum/post/13887641

audiofreak - you should have stayed with the HSU! Even in the smaller room, there is no such thing as overkill
!

I did not get rid of the 3.3 because of too much bass. It was because my former home had a roof leaking problem. Got rid of all my gear before it all got ruined due to water leaking in. I had no idea at the time I would be living in a much newer home. Otherwise, I would still have the 3.3. However, we all live and learn. Sometimes, life's lessons are costly.

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 /forum/post/13890204

I did not get rid of the 3.3 because of too much bass. It was because my former home had a roof leaking problem. Got rid of all my gear before it all got ruined due to water leaking in. I had no idea at the time I would be living in a much newer home. Otherwise, I would still have the 3.3. However, we all live and learn. Sometimes, life's lessons are costly.

Why not get another HSU 3.3 and keep the headroom?? I bet you will have 2 Outlaws later

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 /forum/post/13890553

Why not get another HSU 3.3 and keep the headroom?? I bet you will have 2 Outlaws later

Very good question Mike. Well, if you only knew how small my ht room is. The 3.3 is a bit larger than the Plus so I opted for the Plus. The 3.3 is also more expensive. Lastly, the Plus is a down-firing sub with down-firing ports. These do help to reduce distortion. Therefore, I just decided the Plus would be my best option right now. It is doubtful I will need a second Plus but you never know I always say. I was also looking at the Epik Valor but it too was more expensive.

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/13891991

Why would downfiring ports or drivers reduce distortion. If the port or driver is producing distortion, the directiion they are firing is not going to help.

They don't, it's just marketing hype. I'll stick with my front firing sealed sub thank you.

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 /forum/post/13891814

Plus= looks nicer also. Post has it sounds compared to the rest

Yeah, the Plus does have a nice look to it. I just recently seen a good pic of one on audiogon and was really impressed with what I saw. As far as comparisons go, most would come from memory and as such be highly subjective. My new dedicated ht room is ONLY 706 ft.^3 whereas my former was a little under 2000 ft.^3 and was open to to a small hallway closet as well as my dining/kitchen area. Basically, the room would be much closer to 3000 ft.^3. My new room is not only much smaller, it is fully enclosed with an oblong shape to it. The room roughly measures 15' L X 7.5' X W X 7' H. It really is kinda scary thinking what the 3.3 or the newer designed PB12-NSD would do to a room that small. I am amazed at just how good the Omni S10 is performing. Anyways, when I get the Plus and once it is dialed in properly, I will be more than happy to share my thoughts.

#265 ·

Quote:

Why would downfiring ports or drivers reduce distortion. If the port or driver is producing distortion, the directiion they are firing is not going to help.

Well Curtis, I guess you need to ask Outlaw on that one. From what I understand, down-firing ports reduces distortion due to the design itself. Mirage has claimed basically the same thing. Down-firing ports also allow for placement options that may not be available to a front or rear firing port design. The Omni S10 does sound extremely clean in my small ht room. It has plenty of extension with good visceral impact when watching a movie as well as providing some very tight, articulate bass when simply listening to a cd.

#267 ·

Quote:

Hey Curtis I may have confused myself. Correct me if I am wrong, but the down-firing ports help to reduce port noise right? So, the higher the distortion the more port noise becomes audible. Am I correct here? If not, then what causes port noise??? That is one thing I do not care for is port noise. The only time I have heard any was when the driver bottomed out. I am still a bit confused here. Care to help as I know you seem to know a lot about this stuff.

#268 ·
I don't care for ported designs they usually have higher distortion than a good sealed design like a Velodyne DD series or a Martin Logan Descent or Depth. I think all ported designs will produce port noise at a certain volume level, some more than others. Can you point me to a white paper or controlled test that proves downward ports reduce noise ? If so great and forgive my ignorance. If not then it is just marketing hype.

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickofthehype /forum/post/13893964

I don't care for ported designs they usually have higher distortion than a good sealed design like a Velodyne DD series or a Martin Logan Descent or Depth. I think all ported designs will produce port noise at a certain volume level, some more than others. Can you point me to a white paper or controlled test that proves downward ports reduce noise ? If so great and forgive my ignorance. If not then it is just marketing hype.

This issue comes up almost every day. The difference is that sealed designs will roll off more gradually at the lowest frequencies, while a ported design will have a much sharper roll of below its tuning frequency.

As far as distortion, the Velo DD series has the servo mechanism that will hold both distortion and output down as the subs limits are approached.

Some ported subs have been designed with limiters to hold distortion down.

It's interesting to note that in the test by Tom Nousaine, the $15,000 sealed Velodyne DD-1812 put out only 0.1 db more output from 25-62Hz than the $1,600 Epik Conquest. Even more interesting the Conquest just murdered the $15,000 Velo DD-1812 from 25Hz down to 12.5 Hz. The Conquest put out 112.3 db at 25Hz vs. 107.6 db for the DD-1812, 109.3 db for the Conquest at 20Hz vs. 103.9 db for the DD-1812.

And for people who like pipe organ or the deepest effects on DVDs, the Conquest did 104.7 db @ 16Hz vs. 101.9 db for the DD-1812.

Last but not least, at 12.5 Hz the Conquest put out 103.9 db with only 3.4% distortion.

The Velodyne DD-18 could not reproduce 12.5 Hz at any level without exceeding 10% distortion.

#270 ·
Have any of you heard both an Outlaw ex and an AV123 mfw-15? I have the mfw-15 scheduled to arrive in a few weeks but recently have started to think about switching to a down-firing sub due to active kids/room config. Looks are important which is why I had these two on my radar all along.

What will I be giving up with the outlaw? Range seems similar so I assume just overall "impact" due to the 15 inch versus 12 inch?

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith /forum/post/13904524

Have any of you heard both an Outlaw ex and an AV123 mfw-15? I have the mfw-15 scheduled to arrive in a few weeks but recently have started to think about switching to a down-firing sub due to active kids/room config. Looks are important which is why I had these two on my radar all along.

What will I be giving up with the outlaw? Range seems similar so I assume just overall "impact" due to the 15 inch versus 12 inch?

There's no replacement for displacement, I would stick with the 15" MFW.

#272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 /forum/post/13893661

Hey Curtis I may have confused myself. Correct me if I am wrong, but the down-firing ports help to reduce port noise right? So, the higher the distortion the more port noise becomes audible. Am I correct here? If not, then what causes port noise??? That is one thing I do not care for is port noise. The only time I have heard any was when the driver bottomed out. I am still a bit confused here. Care to help as I know you seem to know a lot about this stuff.

OK...that's different.

Down firing could help mask the port noise (the thought being the noise can be absorb by the carpet), but it is still there. Port noise is certainly distortion, but is not the only source for distortion.

#273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith /forum/post/13904524

I agree, stay with mfw-15!

#274 ·
I have an overall question for the rest of the Outlaw group... how much power are you running the rest of your system with? I currently have a NAD T754 which is only 70wpc. I am thinking of adding an additional amp to increase the power. My reasoning is.. with the added power to the rest of the system, I am hoping to get even more impact from the LFM-1 EX and MBM-12 combo. It feels like they are just coasting while the NAD is near its limit on driving the rest of the speakers. Your thoughts and input is needed!

Mains - Triangle Antal - 120 watts (240 peak)

Center - Triangle Odyssey Minor - 80 watts (160 peak)

Rears - M&K K4 - 150 watts max

Room Size - a very open 2,300 cubic feet

Listening - 70% HT 30% music

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.