post #361 of 7132 Old 06-08-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrrat View Post

FWIW, when i ordered mine last month, I never got a shipping confimation either.

I ordered it on a Fri afternoon, and it was delivered the next Wed morning.

I have now ordered (2) Pluses and have gotten shipping confirmation both times. Not sure what happened in your case but something must had. My second Plus is due to be delivered Wednesday June 11th, 2008. I can't wait!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7132 Old 06-08-2008, 06:45 PM

Sweet! Thanks fellas. That settles the nerves a bit. I'm just so excited about hearing and feeling this thing. Hopefully I'll see it here within a couple of days or so.
post #363 of 7132 Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Here are the results of my LFM-1EX lifting project. I couldn't find a long enough 6mm bolt to use the dowel rod so I cut pieces of 2x4 and used the dimple disc and spikes for the lift. The blocks are sitting on top of a piece of MDF. It looks decent and it has some breathing room.
LL
LL
post #364 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadroach357 View Post

Here are the results of my LFM-1EX lifting project. I couldn't find a long enough 6mm bolt to use the dowel rod so I cut pieces of 2x4 and used the dimple disc and spikes for the lift. The blocks are sitting on top of a piece of MDF. It looks decent and it has some breathing room.

Shoot yeah that looks very good. I am not very good with wood. As such, probably will just order me (2) of the Grammas. Hope to be doing this very soon too. Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #365 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Hi roadroach357,

Very, very nice! You look to have very similar carpet as what is in my TR and I really like your idea. Thank you for taking the time to post your pics.

Larry
post #366 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Was that nesasary? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of those
post #367 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDRIFT View Post

Was that nesasary? I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of those

It was necessary to keep the woofer from hitting the carpet. I have deep pile carpet and I had nearly zero clearance so I decided to lift it up.
post #368 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Shoot yeah that looks very good. I am not very good with wood. As such, probably will just order me (2) of the Grammas. Hope to be doing this very soon too. Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi roadroach357,

Very, very nice! You look to have very similar carpet as what is in my TR and I really like your idea. Thank you for taking the time to post your pics.

Larry

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really wish I could have found the right bolt to use dowel rod on each corner but it didn't work out. I think that bolting the sub to the MDF would have reduced vibrations and further isolated it from the floor. But then again, I'm no expert...
post #369 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM

OT for a quick sec: If you have tenants living below you, does a down firing sub cause them more grief than front firing?
post #370 of 7132 Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Got my LFM-2 today! Initial impressions are very positive, especially in light of the sale price of $199! Popped in Cloverfield, played it at about -15dB and had to turn it down! There was a surprising amount of tangible bass shaking the couch.

Very pleased so far!
post #371 of 7132 Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 AM

Hello all:

After trying another brand, and listening to some others, I finally ordered a LFM-2 while it was on sale. I set it up this past weekend, and I have to say that I couldn't be more pleased!

My rig prior to the LFM-2:
- Onkyo SR705
- Polk R150s for mains (mounted as satellites)
- Polk RM101s for surrounds
- Either a Polk CSR or Klipsch RC-10. I haven't decided which one to stay with; CSR with better low-mid range, RC-10 better high end, more clarity as center channel for movies (due, I think to Klipsch's "tapered array" technology).
- Polk PSW10 for sub.

HT room:
- partially enclosed 13'x14'x8' in finished basement. Wall where sub (and center speaker) is located is only a partial, where the right side opens up due to a stairway that goes upstairs behind the wall. The sub is positioned approximately 2-3 inches from the wall. The left corner of the room has a large opening that opens to a small game room. Porcelain tile floors, but area rug covers 75% of HT room. Subwoofer sits on the tile.

Strangely enough, even though the Polk PSW10 is only 100 watts max, it always sounded "musical", and had decent bass extension. My only real complaint was that it exhibited very pronounced port noise on LFEs during movies. A good example is the LOTR, Return of the King, during the confrontation with Saruman. Especially when they leave from there to go back to Rohan. The bass note from the "Rohan theme" that plays at that point would always make the little PSW10 distort badly, with pronounced port "chuffing".

So I was looking something that would still sound musical, and that could also handle a deeper extension and eliminate port noise.

The LFM-2 delivers this in spades. The above mentioned scene from LOTR is amazing when that bass note hits (not to mention Treebeard's voice!). Watching the battle scenes in LOTR is now like a new experience. The bass extension on this sub is really all that I need. I can't imagine needing to go any lower (especially since I don't usually spend time listening to pipe organ performances).

I actually find that as the LFM-2 breaks in, I have to keep turning the sub level down.

As was mentioned in the "Secrets" review from 2006, I found that the 40-65 Hz range was just a little weak with a flat EQ setting. Actually, not really so much weak as overwhelmed slightly by the 25Hz range. So I bumpled my EQ on the Onkyo SR705 as follows:

- 25 Hz = 0dB
- 40 Hz = +2 dB
- 63 Hz = +2 dB
- 100 Hz = +1 dB
- 160 Hz = 0

Now when I listen to music from mixed sources (contemporary, gospel, jazz, etc) the bass mix is perfect, with well articulated and tight bass notes from low B on up (I happen to be an electric bass player).

LFEs and bass channels on movies are just spectacular. I'm amazed that duing explosions, etc, it seems as though the concrete floor in the basement actually vibrates. And the music during movies is also exceptional.

Another benefit is that the bass response is more "even" thoughout the room. This may be because of the down firing port and driver. The Polk PSW10 was front firing on both accounts, and this seemed to produce a "sweet spot" at the opposite wall where the seating is located. If you got up from the seat, the bass response and extension dropped off noticeably. With the LFM-2, this is much improved, even with the LFM-2 in the exact same location that the PSW10 occupied.

I would heartily recommend this sub to anyone who is looking for a fantastic deal on a quality product. It seems as though this sub could easily handle a room much larger than mine. Right now I have my sub-out level from the Onkyo set at -2 dB, and the LFM-2 level not quite halfway up. My overall system volume for movies if usually around -10 dB from reference.

I've got the LFM-2 internal crossover bypassed, and handle all the crossovers at the Onkyo. I've got my mains and center at 90 Hz, my rear surrounds at 100 Hz. Phase is at 0. I use the autosense, and it works at least as well as the Polk sub.

The finish is just beautiful on the LFM-2. It is easily the best looking sub that I've seen. That piece of black plexiglass on top really contrasts nicely with the painted finish of the cabinet. Even the Outlaw emblem on the front is the perfect size, not too large and garish, but still visible.

My only complaint at all was the power cord. It doesn't fit snugly into the recepticle on the back of the unit. However, I easily fixed this by wrapping a few turns of black electrical tape around the outside of the plug prior to inserting it into the recepticle on the sub. Now the plug fits snugly into the recepticle.

I bought this on the recent sale for $199. With the shipping it came to $248. This is truly an exceptional value.

Best wishes,

Frank
post #372 of 7132 Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the family Yardman.

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #373 of 7132 Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 AM

That's great to hear about the LFM-2. I plan on buying one for my Dad for fathers day, and he has about the same size room as you. My plus should be here on thursday. I can't wait! Especially to see the expression on my wifes face when she sees the box
post #374 of 7132 Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really wish I could have found the right bolt to use dowel rod on each corner but it didn't work out. I think that bolting the sub to the MDF would have reduced vibrations and further isolated it from the floor. But then again, I'm no expert...

You are quite welcome. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Phil

post #375 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 AM

Liked: 11
I am interested in lfm-1 ex. Will this sub be an upgrade from my dual bic h-100's. How is the mid-bass on the outlaw subs.
post #376 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello peeps. Got my second Plus this morning. I have recently re-done my ht room so I thought I would post a few pics. Once again, I will leave the paper on the top of my Pluses until I get them properly placed. Just want to take my time and experiment a bit first. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

post #377 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello my good friend Phil,

I am glad you don't have any pictures on your walls, with two LFM's, nothing would stay up when you play a monster LFE movie.

Where are you going to place the second sub?

Larry
post #378 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello my good friend Phil,

I am glad you don't have any pictures on your walls, with two LFM's, nothing would stay up when you play a monster LFE movie.

Where are you going to place the second sub?

Larry

Hey Larry. Going to place it right here for now. I may put both up front-one in each corner OR put both behind my love-seat. Just going to take my time and experiment around some. Here is where the other is. The other pic is where I may put my second LFM-1Plus as opposed to being behind my love-seat.

Cheers,

Phil

post #379 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Phil,

All I have to say is WOW. I know you are a music guy first and HT guy second, but your place is going to rock. You will be able to feel movies like nobody's business!

Please let all of us know what tweaking you end up doing!

I might be able to hear you in Cincinnati.

Larry
post #380 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Phil,

All I have to say is WOW. I know you are a music guy first and HT guy second, but your place is going to rock. You will be able to feel movies like nobody's business!

Please let all of us know what tweaking you end up doing!

I might be able to hear you in Cincinnati.

Larry

LOL........thanks Larry. The only tweaking I am going to do is experiment w/placement. Maybe have both LFM-1Pluses up front in each corner or both behind my love-seat. Right now, there is one in the upper right corner and the other behind my love-seat. Still evaluating that before trying a different location. Once I determine the best configuration, I will then run YPAO again with the eq set to flat. Still yet, I will check very precisely with my RS SPL meter. Lastly, use my Rives Test CDII to check and see if there are any major problem areas. Perhaps at this point, I can go into manual set-up and do some very fine tuning to my liking. I also plan on ordering (2) Grammas for my new subs. Hopefully, this will get to sounding the way I like it. Only time will tell.

Cheers,

Phil

post #381 of 7132 Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Just wanted to say I ordered an LFM-2 this morning and received a tracking number this evening. Can't wait till next tuesday.

BTW, this will be replacing a RCA 8" 100w rumbler that came in a speaker 6-pack 5 long years ago.
post #382 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Phil,

That room is awesome! I hadn't seen your room before, and while I knew it was small, I still never imagined just how tiny it really is. I still can't believe you have TWO LFM-1 Pluses in there! I might have to add a couple more subs to my room now . Really though, music and HT should be nothing short of amazing in there. Great setup. BTW, if you like, I can snap a few pix of my setup and send em to you - just let me know. Oh yeah, one more thing. We might need to see some "after" pix of that room once you've watched a bass-heavy scene .
post #383 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 AM

Phil, you are insane! I thought my room was pretty small for 1 plus! I just received my plus yesterday, and am amazed. I always thought my Velo was pretty damn good, but I had no idea what I was missing out on. This thing makes the Velo sound like a one note boomer in comparison. I watched Gladiator last night, and it was like watching the movie for the first time all over again. The Blue Man Group on DVD-A is pretty cool too. I heard and felt more notes than usual with the Plus. This thing is great! It's not even dialed in yet either! Wow. It's good to with the Outlaws now.
post #384 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 View Post

Just wanted to say I ordered an LFM-2 this morning and received a tracking number this evening. Can't wait till next tuesday.

BTW, this will be replacing a RCA 8" 100w rumbler that came in a speaker 6-pack 5 long years ago.

Hi Joe741,

Welcome to The Outlaws!

Please let us know your thoughts.

Larry
post #385 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

Phil, you are insane! I thought my room was pretty small for 1 plus! I just received my plus yesterday, and am amazed. I always thought my Velo was pretty damn good, but I had no idea what I was missing out on. This thing makes the Velo sound like a one note boomer in comparison. I watched Gladiator last night, and it was like watching the movie for the first time all over again. The Blue Man Group on DVD-A is pretty cool too. I heard and felt more notes than usual with the Plus. This thing is great! It's not even dialed in yet either! Wow. It's good to with the Outlaws now.

Hi Twisted Dave,

Thanks for your comments and it is good to have you here!

Gladiator is one fine experience and one of my top ten demo movies. Lately, I have been showing the opening battle scene from Master & Commander. Give it a try!

Larry
post #386 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe741 View Post

Oh Joe let me just say you are going to be shocked trust me on that one. This is a huge step-up for you. Be sure to let us know what your initial impressions are. Perhaps, you can snap a few pics too. Welcome to the jungle-no wait that is a song -I mean Outlaw family.

Cheers,

Phil

post #387 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Phil,

That room is awesome! I hadn't seen your room before, and while I knew it was small, I still never imagined just how tiny it really is. I still can't believe you have TWO LFM-1 Pluses in there! I might have to add a couple more subs to my room now . Really though, music and HT should be nothing short of amazing in there. Great setup. BTW, if you like, I can snap a few pix of my setup and send em to you - just let me know. Oh yeah, one more thing. We might need to see some "after" pix of that room once you've watched a bass-heavy scene .

Thanks for the comments. Right now, the volume is on 4 and the receiver level is just a bit over half-so there is plenty of room for more output. However, have to be mindful of my neighbors and such. No need in me paying more fines because locally we have a noise ordinance. Sure, please send me some pics or just post them here. I know you have the PB10-NSD's but nothing wrong w/sharing my friend. Sometimes, pics allow some of us to learn right? Have a good day.

Cheers,

Phil

post #388 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

Hey Dave, glad you are liking your Plus. Funny that you mention I must be insane as my boss says I am "SICK". The reason being, I spend almost all of my money on this great hobby. I guess at times, it is nice being single and living alone. However, at times it can be quite hard too. Life is about trade-offs and as such I am always striving to move forward in this hobby. Personally, I believe the thrill comes in the chase whereas the rewards manifests by what is learned along the way to sonic nirvana. Never forget the friends you make along the way too. BTW, the Blue Man Group is awesome to say the least. Gladiator also is one great movie. Russell Crowe is at his best in that one. Excellent choice!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

post #389 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Yeah, those catapults in Gladiator are very cool with a good sub. What kinds of settings are you guys using? Like crossover, sub volume, and phase switch. I don't have a whole lot of experience setting up a sub. I can't tell a whole lot difference when flipping the phase. Should there be a big difference? I think I've got it sounding pretty good today, but I know it's not perfect by any means. Now I just need to decide which output setting I like best. Max is sounding pretty good at the moment.
post #390 of 7132 Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Woohoo I just ordered am outlaw lfm-1 ex. I originally ordered an mfw-15 but canceled it due to backorders. Besides I think at normal listening levels I probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two. I hardly ever listen to near reference levels anyway. Can't wait.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page