Official Outlaw Owners thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
First ... 149  150  151 152  153  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Outlaw Owners thread
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:35 AM 01-04-2012
Awesome! Once you get your Onkyo receiver and calibrate your speaker system with Audyssey, you should get even better sound out of the sub (as well as your speakers) due to the EQing that Audyssey will do to flatten your speaker/sub response.

tatumguy's Avatar tatumguy 09:48 AM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Awesome! Once you get your Onkyo receiver and calibrate your speaker system with Audyssey, you should get even better sound out of the sub (as well as your speakers) due to the EQing that Audyssey will do to flatten your speaker/sub response.

Thanks again for your help. Im picking up the Onkyo next week and installing the studio foam this weekend. I didnt even play with the modes, just setting it to Max Output as you suggested.

But as it sits right now, good lord man! I watched a little bit of Tron with the volume on the sub set about a quarter, and at a low receiver volume....

If I turned it up, Im fairly certain I would shift a techtonic plate.
mrjktcvs's Avatar mrjktcvs 10:02 AM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Anyone know how low the bass is in the depth charge scene of U571??? My dual pluses fill the whole room with an extreme bass presence. And man do those subs move some air!

Try looking for it in the movie sticky thread at the top of the subwoofer index page.

Yes, dual Pluses render the MO mode redundant...we like ME!
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 10:15 AM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Try looking for it in the movie sticky thread at the top of the subwoofer index page.

Yes, dual Pluses render the MO mode redundant...we like ME!

Thanx...And yes both mine are on ME and I love it.....Worth every penny I spent....My step-dad is usually against spending a lot of money on certain things, that changed when he SAW my pluses. He didn't even hear them yet and asked how much they were I told him and he is like that's a heck of a deal, sometime I'll come listen and maybe have you order me one. This is a guy that wouldn't take my advice about subs before about going internet direct instead of buying something from Best Buy. He bought a Klipsch SW-350 for $350. What a waiste cuz now he wants a real sub and I paid $499 each with free shipping on my pluses.
Nosferatu's Avatar Nosferatu 10:53 AM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

If in another 2 months there's no go on that deal - I'll have to inevitably pull the trigger.

Yup no problem. Just keep an eye on this thread and their website and you'll know when the price dips down. If you want something now my parents sub (Def Tech Supercube II) is a small sub but packs quite a punch. It's hard for me to A/B them as they live 1,000mi away but when I do visit it sounds pretty similar to the Outlaw (1250watt RMS, digs down to supposedly 14Hz). It's on sale on Newegg as a clearance and with a coupon code listed on their page you can snag one for $399. My family paid $900 or so for it 2 years ago. My Dad has a huge WAF issue so that's why they went with that one. It's literally a 12"x12"x12" in size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882325040

I don't mean to rain down on the Outlaw (I still love this thing and would take it over the SuperCube II) but I can't comment enough on how much of a steal IMO that is. Here's some user reviews of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...owViewpoints=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

My Plus just "popped", twice, during How to Train Your Dragon. I have the volume on the back at 3 and the AVR set at -5. Sounds pretty good (I like a lot of bass), but the two pops scare the hell out of me.

Is it a simple matter of turning it down, some more, or may I have damaged my two week old sub? It still souns the same during other playback.

Thoughts?

I had this problem even with my EX on the initial explosion in Iron Man 1 out in the desert. It's all in the tune. Fix the gain and the AV receiver settings. The sub is running too hot. Once that was fixed, I was able to replay the scene over and over and louder with no "pop" or clipping.
mickey79's Avatar mickey79 12:59 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Yup no problem. Just keep an eye on this thread and their website and you'll know when the price dips down. If you want something now my parents sub (Def Tech Supercube II) is a small sub but packs quite a punch. It's hard for me to A/B them as they live 1,000mi away but when I do visit it sounds pretty similar to the Outlaw (1250watt RMS, digs down to supposedly 14Hz). It's on sale on Newegg as a clearance and with a coupon code listed on their page you can snag one for $399. My family paid $900 or so for it 2 years ago. My Dad has a huge WAF issue so that's why they went with that one. It's literally a 12"x12"x12" in size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882325040

I don't mean to rain down on the Outlaw (I still love this thing and would take it over the SuperCube II) but I can't comment enough on how much of a steal IMO that is. Here's some user reviews of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...owViewpoints=1

Very interesting little Sub at a great price. I'm going to check on those reviews.

Thanks man.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 01:14 PM 01-04-2012
I would be skeptical of def tects numbers. For $450 i'd rather go for a 10to12 inch sub. (Imho everyones different!)
nikerret's Avatar nikerret 01:59 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I use the relative volume scale to know how far from reference level I am currently at...I would think that an absolute volume level of 70 has to be close to reference level.

Movies with bass below tuning of a single PLUS sub played at or near reference level will produce noises that you will not like...is your sub calibrated level to the mains or running hot? When I had a single sub, I always ran hot and it got me in trouble with bass demanding movies...

82 is Reference Level.

I have the sub running slightly hot, about 2db on the AVR.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 02:10 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

82 is Reference Level.

I have the sub running slightly hot, about 2db on the AVR.

Mild my friend mild
Nosferatu's Avatar Nosferatu 03:06 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I would be skeptical of def tects numbers. For $450 i'd rather go for a 10to12 inch sub. (Imho everyones different!)

Skeptical or not about numbers I can tell you from experience I've had my fair amount of time running that sub for my parents and helping them set it up. It's no joke at that size for an 8" it pounds HARD. Just saying there's another inexpensive option. I still prefer my Outlaw I think at the very low end of the spectrum the EX you just can't beat size. I'll be going to visit them again this upcoming Thursday I'll give it another whirl again. Last I played with it was in November.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 03:25 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post


Skeptical or not about numbers I can tell you from experience I've had my fair amount of time running that sub for my parents and helping them set it up. It's no joke at that size for an 8" it pounds HARD. Just saying there's another inexpensive option. I still prefer my Outlaw I think at the very low end of the spectrum the EX you just can't beat size. I'll be going to visit them again this upcoming Thursday I'll give it another whirl again. Last I played with it was in November.

Didn't mean to put down your equipment. I'm always skeptical of numbers . Sorry if I worded it wrong!
mickey79's Avatar mickey79 04:08 PM 01-04-2012
Either way - I'm not about to purchase in the next day or two. I'm still going to be patient & see if I can score a deal on LFM Plus or Ex. And HSU is still in the running. FV12 & Empire are not out of the race yet either. All is game at this point - I think a sale could break it all out.
Saints's Avatar Saints 07:23 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Either way - I'm not about to purchase in the next day or two. I'm still going to be patient & see if I can score a deal on LFM Plus or Ex. And HSU is still in the running. FV12 & Empire are not out of the race yet either. All is game at this point - I think a sale could break it all out.

All of those subs are great and you will be happy with whatever you decide. I know how you feel as I was a wreck trying to figure out which one was best for me. In the end I went with the Plus and I have no regrets. Also keep an eye out on the Outlaw B-stock page where you can get a Plus for $449 shipped or call to see if they have any.
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish 07:49 PM 01-04-2012
Thanks, Saints. Good timing. Scott emailed me back saying that for my room description and stats that an LFM-1 Plus is for me. Just scored a B-stock and hope that the order goes through and that the cosmetics are good looking. (fingers crossed!)
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 07:58 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Thanks, Saints. Good timing. Scott emailed me back saying that for my room description and stats that an LFM-1 Plus is for me. Just scored a B-stock and hope that the order goes through and that the cosmetics are good looking. (fingers crossed!)

Yay! You're and outlaw now!
tatumguy's Avatar tatumguy 09:14 PM 01-04-2012
Just wondering, for those of you that have Pluses or Exs, do you prefer MO or Bass extension mode for you set up?
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 09:25 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumguy View Post

Just wondering, for those of you that have Pluses or Exs, do you prefer MO or Bass extension mode for you set up?

I prefer me mode. Tried mo and didn't like!
Nosferatu's Avatar Nosferatu 09:31 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumguy View Post

Just wondering, for those of you that have Pluses or Exs, do you prefer MO or Bass extension mode for you set up?

I think we've all hashed this before. I never tried anything but ME. I like my music but in an apartment I don't need the extra headroom on volume. I like the extension for when I sit and watch a movie.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 09:32 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumguy View Post

Just wondering, for those of you that have Pluses or Exs, do you prefer MO or Bass extension mode for you set up?

You probably wouldn't notice a difference with ME mode for music (very little music has content below 25hz--mostly just some electronica/dance stuff and organ music). But you would get more low frequency effects with blu-ray with ME mode, particularly with the higher rated movies on the The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts. If your neighbors aren't feeling it, too, and complaining, ME would be the way to go
Saints's Avatar Saints 09:58 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Thanks, Saints. Good timing. Scott emailed me back saying that for my room description and stats that an LFM-1 Plus is for me. Just scored a B-stock and hope that the order goes through and that the cosmetics are good looking. (fingers crossed!)

Awesome! You are going to love that thing. I got a b-stock when I ordered mine and I couldn't find a scratch on it when it arrived. I have read others that also got b-stocks and some had the same results while others had very, very minor nicks, but even if mine did come with a nick it probably wouldn't be anything a sharpie couldn't take care of. For the price and quality I would have gotten over it really fast.
tatumguy's Avatar tatumguy 11:20 PM 01-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

I think we've all hashed this before. I never tried anything but ME. I like my music but in an apartment I don't need the extra headroom on volume. I like the extension for when I sit and watch a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I prefer me mode. Tried mo and didn't like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You probably wouldn't notice a difference with ME mode for music (very little music has content below 25hz--mostly just some electronica/dance stuff and organ music). But you would get more low frequency effects with blu-ray with ME mode, particularly with the higher rated movies on the The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts. If your neighbors aren't feeling it, too, and complaining, ME would be the way to go

Again. Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish 04:40 AM 01-05-2012
Yes, thanks. It's info mentioned at an opportune time.
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 07:14 AM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Try looking for it in the movie sticky thread at the top of the subwoofer index page.

Yes, dual Pluses render the MO mode redundant...we like ME!

I look at the movie sticky thread........ And no wonder U571 DVD in DTS sounded awesome with my dual Pluses. It actually has material in that depth charge scene from 5hz to 40hz major deep bass.

How loud is too loud when listening to material like that that has extension waayyyy below the capabilities of the plus???
capablanca's Avatar capablanca 08:59 AM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumguy View Post

Just wondering, for those of you that have Pluses or Exs, do you prefer MO or Bass extension mode for you set up?

FYI, Audioholics preferred MO in the Outlaw EX.
unavol's Avatar unavol 10:32 AM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I look at the movie sticky thread........ And no wonder U571 DVD in DTS sounded awesome with my dual Pluses. It actually has material in that depth charge scene from 5hz to 40hz major deep bass.

How loud is too loud when listening to material like that that has extension waayyyy below the capabilities of the plus???

You'll know it when you hear it...it's not nice. You'll hear popping & the sub starts jumping. I think someone described it as being like a horse earlier in the thread.
mickey79's Avatar mickey79 10:35 AM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

All of those subs are great and you will be happy with whatever you decide. I know how you feel as I was a wreck trying to figure out which one was best for me. In the end I went with the Plus and I have no regrets. Also keep an eye out on the Outlaw B-stock page where you can get a Plus for $449 shipped or call to see if they have any.

Good Call!! I'll keep that page in Favorites and check it often. I'm totally up for the B-Stock if I can score a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Thanks, Saints. Good timing. Scott emailed me back saying that for my room description and stats that an LFM-1 Plus is for me. Just scored a B-stock and hope that the order goes through and that the cosmetics are good looking. (fingers crossed!)

Good for you!! I'll be looking at that page myself. As someone else mentioned here - most people have never had any major scratch & dents; and if there does happen to be a small nick here & there, I'm sure it's nothing a Sharpie can't handle.

Thanks.
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish 11:35 AM 01-05-2012
I imagine that after a big sale like Outlaw had would naturally result in exchanges by customers second guessing and swapping out for other Outlaw subs.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 12:06 PM 01-05-2012
It looks like outlaw had a few lfm ex's on bstock...exciting!
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 12:18 PM 01-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I look at the movie sticky thread........ And no wonder U571 DVD in DTS sounded awesome with my dual Pluses. It actually has material in that depth charge scene from 5hz to 40hz major deep bass.

How loud is too loud when listening to material like that that has extension waayyyy below the capabilities of the plus???

I would imagine you don't need to worry so much about that extension that is "way below." The graphs of the EX from the review show that it has a very steep tuning point (the Plus should be the same).
mickey79's Avatar mickey79 08:45 AM 01-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

It looks like outlaw had a few lfm ex's on bstock...exciting!

Yes - they do seem to have EX B-Stock. I'm actually eyeing Plus @ $449. I'm not sure I need EX -- not sure if the additional $100+ would be justified in my case. Especially if I plan to add a 2nd Sub in future to have Dualies.
First ... 149  150  151 152  153  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop