Official Outlaw Owners thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Outlaw Owners thread
littlegoat's Avatar littlegoat 04:45 PM 06-24-2008
Cloverfield was great for LFE, I have noticed a lot of movies that were not very good, seem to have good bass all of a sudden.

Imatk's Avatar Imatk 07:31 PM 06-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

That's what I thought. The only problem is it is a "full screen" version, so the picture quality will not be the best. I am still on the fence as to which blue ray player to purchase.

Honestly guys if I were you I'd go with the PS3 for a player. I have it and it works great and I've got the updates via the web and it's all good. Plus you have a game console
weverb's Avatar weverb 10:18 PM 06-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post

Honestly guys if I were you I'd go with the PS3 for a player. I have it and it works great and I've got the updates via the web and it's all good. Plus you have a game console

It does have a lot of bang for the buck.
case2307's Avatar case2307 07:52 AM 06-25-2008
I'm using the PS3 as well and it's a great value. The load time is very fast compared to some other players and as Imatk said, the games aren't bad either.
StimpsonJCat's Avatar StimpsonJCat 08:12 AM 06-25-2008
I have a PS3 and for now only use it as a Blu-ray player. I might get a game for it some day, but only a must have that isn't on the 360. The PS3 is currently the most future proof Blu-ray player and the best deal IMO.
weverb's Avatar weverb 10:21 AM 06-25-2008
This is why I hate this forum! You guys are nothing but a bad influence...

Buy PS3?
Buy 2nd MBM?
Buy 200 wpc amp?
Buy 2nd LFm-1 EX?

Darn it all! Too many obsessions.
littlegoat's Avatar littlegoat 02:55 PM 06-25-2008
another vote for the ps3, you get the blu-ray, game console, and can pop linux on there as well. only problem I have had with ps3 is it does not get cd information anymore, stopped a few updates back

call of duty sounds great with explosions and different weapons with the LFM +
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 03:13 PM 06-25-2008
Quote:

Buy PS3?
Buy 2nd MBM?
Buy 200 wpc amp?
Buy 2nd LFm-1 EX?

LQTM
Twisted Dave's Avatar Twisted Dave 07:21 PM 06-25-2008
Quote:

Buy PS3?
Buy 2nd MBM?
Buy 200 wpc amp?
Buy 2nd LFm-1 EX?

This is so very true! I'm very close to convincing the wife that "we" need a second LFM-plus. Then, today I bought the Panasonic th-50pz800u! I've basically built my entire home theater system in a couple of months after joining this terrible influence of a forum. Way, way, way over my initial budget. But, it would have cost me a whole lot more if I never joined this forum, and just bought whatever BB and CC had to offer. So, thanks fellas
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 08:10 PM 06-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Dave View Post

But, it would have cost me a whole lot more if I never joined this forum, and just bought whatever BB and CC had to offer.

Hi Twisted,

You are right on the mark!

BTW, you still need another LFM-1+

Larry
Twisted Dave's Avatar Twisted Dave 08:45 PM 06-25-2008
Yes, I know I need another one. It's so addicting when you finally hear, and feel real bass. I just keep wanting more! I can't imagine what having two of them sounds like. I can't wait.
weverb's Avatar weverb 09:21 AM 06-26-2008
I was having such a hard time not calling HSU yesterday due to them having a MBM on B-stock for $400!
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 12:30 PM 06-26-2008
call, weverb, call.

Sorry, just being a bad influence.

Larry
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 03:43 PM 06-26-2008
Hello Peeps. Just ordered (2) Grammas for my LFM-1Pluses. I hope these enhance my LFE even more. Wished I could post a link but never seem to do it correctly. For those interested in a Gramma, the website is sweetwater.com.

Cheers,

Phil
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 04:17 PM 06-26-2008
Hi Phil,

Haven't seen you around of late. I hope all is well with you.

Here is your link to the Gramma:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

Larry
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 06:46 PM 06-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi Phil,

Haven't seen you around of late. I hope all is well with you.

Here is your link to the Gramma:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRAMMA/

Larry

Hey Larry. Thanks for the link. Yeah, it has been bad here lately. Not sure if you noticed, but here in Henderson, KY 6 people died as a result of a shooting rampage at a local plastics factory. An employee got into an argument with his supervisor only to return with a handgun. The gunman killed his supervisor and 4 other employees as well as himself. My first wife's bro seen it all unfold and was almost shot himself. Needless to say, he still is in an emotional shutdown. I just spoke with him the other day before all of this happened. Anyways, my hometown is in mourning from such a senseless act. Thanks for asking though Larry. Your kind words have been most helpful.

Cheers,

Phil
Twisted Dave's Avatar Twisted Dave 08:56 PM 06-26-2008
Hey Phil, I hope all is well up there, bro. I know what your town is going through. It's terrible.

On the audio side of things, I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Gramma. I'm really tempted to order a couple. Can they really make such a difference like they say they do?
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 09:18 PM 06-26-2008
Quote:

Hey Phil, I hope all is well up there, bro. I know what your town is going through. It's terrible.

On the audio side of things, I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Gramma. I'm really tempted to order a couple. Can they really make such a difference like they say they do?

Hello Dave. Thanks for your kind words. I am doing fine it is the families/friends of the victims that I feel for. To be honest, I don't even know what to say to my former bro-in-law when I see him. Many lives were changed that day here in my hometown. You can just feel a huge sense of loss throughout my community. Anyways, I hope the Grammas do make a difference. I like the way the Pluses sound, but the sound is a bit muffled. I do believe, however, that the Grammas will help to correct that problem. Only time will tell. I am still working on placement and to be honest not in no real big hurry. I will post about my findings sometime in the near future. Perhaps, even snap a few pics.

Cheers,

Phil
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 07:40 AM 06-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

I like the way the Pluses sound, but the sound is a bit muffled. I do believe, however, that the Grammas will help to correct that problem.

Hi Phil,

I am very sorry to read about this senseless tragedy.

I agree that the LFM-1+ can sound just a bit "muffled" and I figured is was due to the extra thick carpet that is in my TR. I really think the Gramma will help you as I have been experimenting with different materials and how high to lift the sub up from the top of the carpet. I will be interested in reading your thoughts.

BTW, I just received the BR version of Cloverfield as a gift and it is insane the amount of LFE in this movie. In your excellent, personal TR this would have to be a true experience.

Larry
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 08:04 AM 06-27-2008
Quote:

Hi Phil,

I am very sorry to read about this senseless tragedy.

I agree that the LFM-1+ can sound just a bit "muffled" and I figured is was due to the extra thick carpet that is in my TR. I really think the Gramma will help you as I have been experimenting with different materials and how high to lift the sub up from the top of the carpet. I will be interested in reading your thoughts.

BTW, I just received the BR version of Cloverfield as a gift and it is insane the amount of LFE in this movie. In your excellent, personal TR this would have to be a true experience.

Larry

Hi Larry. Thanks once again for the kind words. My carpet is not what I would refer to as real thick and the LFM-1Pluses still sound a bit muffled. Hopefully, the Grammas will correct that problem. I don't have a BR player just yet, but I have seen Cloverfield. Kinda waiting to see if the BR players come down to more affordable prices. I also want to see what Oppo comes out with before making a purchase. Am also aware of the PS3 and its BR capabilities. Right now, my Toshiba A-3 is doing a splendid job and as such no real hurry as far as I am concerned. Anyways, will be in touch whenever my Grammas get here. Still experimenting w/placement in my very small room.

Cheers,

Phil
lalakersfan34's Avatar lalakersfan34 09:40 AM 06-27-2008
Quote:

Hi Larry. Thanks once again for the kind words. My carpet is not what I would refer to as real thick and the LFM-1Pluses still sound a bit muffled. Hopefully, the Grammas will correct that problem. I don't have a BR player just yet, but I have seen Cloverfield. Kinda waiting to see if the BR players come down to more affordable prices. I also want to see what Oppo comes out with before making a purchase. Am also aware of the PS3 and its BR capabilities. Right now, my Toshiba A-3 is doing a splendid job and as such no real hurry as far as I am concerned. Anyways, will be in touch whenever my Grammas get here. Still experimenting w/placement in my very small room.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil,

It's possible you've already done this, but thought I'd say it anyway. Have you measured your frequency response in your room? Your room is so small that I'm sure you're getting TONS of room gain in the low end. I can't help but wonder if maybe things sound muffled because the really low stuff is too loud. If you have a laptop and an SPL meter, I'd recommend downloading Room EQ Wizard (it's free!) from hometheatershack.com and running some FR sweeps. Let's just say you might be very surprised with the results - I know I was. Again, if you've already done this, feel free to ignore this post, but I'd recommend measuring FR at the listening position and trying different placements to see if you can get things sounding better. If it turns out you have really nasty peaks or room gain at the bottom end, you can use EQ to tame them. Anyway, just a thought. Of course the Grammas might be the answer as well. Good luck.
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 10:58 AM 06-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Phil,

It's possible you've already done this, but thought I'd say it anyway. Have you measured your frequency response in your room? Your room is so small that I'm sure you're getting TONS of room gain in the low end. I can't help but wonder if maybe things sound muffled because the really low stuff is too loud. If you have a laptop and an SPL meter, I'd recommend downloading Room EQ Wizard (it's free!) from hometheatershack.com and running some FR sweeps. Let's just say you might be very surprised with the results - I know I was. Again, if you've already done this, feel free to ignore this post, but I'd recommend measuring FR at the listening position and trying different placements to see if you can get things sounding better. If it turns out you have really nasty peaks or room gain at the bottom end, you can use EQ to tame them. Anyway, just a thought. Of course the Grammas might be the answer as well. Good luck.

No, I have not measured my response yet due to time constraints. Oh, there is no doubt I am getting some room gain. But that is not the problem from what I can tell so far. The sound is just a bit muffled due to my carpet. The Grammas will take care of this and then allow me to play with the phasing more precisely. I then, will experiment more with placement. Lastly, I will then do some sweeps to plot my response as a means to check for any peeks. This process will take a while with everything going on right now. Once completed, I intend on doing some critical listening and doing a review of my impressions. Not that I am an expert. BTW, I only play my Pluses in Max Output Mode meaning no ports are plugged. As such, the lowest bass will come in around 25 or 26 Hz or so. Of course, in Max Extension mode albeit (1) port plugged my Pluses would have no problem reaching down to at least 18 Hz or so. I may even experiment with that as well in my write-up.

Cheers,

Phil
lalakersfan34's Avatar lalakersfan34 12:50 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:

No, I have not measured my response yet due to time constraints. Oh, there is no doubt I am getting some room gain. But that is not the problem from what I can tell so far. The sound is just a bit muffled due to my carpet. The Grammas will take care of this and then allow me to play with the phasing more precisely. I then, will experiment more with placement. Lastly, I will then do some sweeps to plot my response as a means to check for any peeks. This process will take a while with everything going on right now. Once completed, I intend on doing some critical listening and doing a review of my impressions. Not that I am an expert. BTW, I only play my Pluses in Max Output Mode meaning no ports are plugged. As such, the lowest bass will come in around 25 or 26 Hz or so. Of course, in Max Extension mode albeit (1) port plugged my Pluses would have no problem reaching down to at least 18 Hz or so. I may even experiment with that as well in my write-up.

Cheers,

Phil

Sounds good, Phil. However, I'd bet that you're getting strong bass down to at least 20hz, even in Max Output mode. Sure, the subs are tuned around 25hz, but in a tiny room you'll get strong output way below their tuning point. My room is larger than yours, and my PB10's are flat down to 16hz (I believe they're tuned around 20-22hz) at pretty high sweep levels, with useable output down even a bit lower than that.

Anyway, hope those Grammas help. The whole "journey" of obtaining better bass is half the fun, so enjoy the tweaking, FR plotting, etc. Keep us posted .

Stephen
Twisted Dave's Avatar Twisted Dave 05:42 PM 06-27-2008
Speaking of room size. Does anybody know if there is a like an "industry standard" room size that companies test their subs in? Or if magazines have a certain size room that they test in? Or is every test different? I'd like to try and compare magazine and company results to my own, if room size is similar. No reason for the test other than boredom and an excuse to tweak for a day. I figure it would be fun, and maybe I could learn something in the process.
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 06:02 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Sounds good, Phil. However, I'd bet that you're getting strong bass down to at least 20hz, even in Max Output mode. Sure, the subs are tuned around 25hz, but in a tiny room you'll get strong output way below their tuning point. My room is larger than yours, and my PB10's are flat down to 16hz (I believe they're tuned around 20-22hz) at pretty high sweep levels, with useable output down even a bit lower than that.

Anyway, hope those Grammas help. The whole "journey" of obtaining better bass is half the fun, so enjoy the tweaking, FR plotting, etc. Keep us posted .

Stephen

I will do just that. The Rives Test CD II goes as low as 20 Hz. I will at least know if my Pluses are going that low while in MO mode. Just have to see when the time comes.

Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 06:12 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:

Speaking of room size. Does anybody know if there is a like an "industry standard" room size that companies test their subs in? Or if magazines have a certain size room that they test in? Or is every test different? I'd like to try and compare magazine and company results to my own, if room size is similar. No reason for the test other than boredom and an excuse to tweak for a day. I figure it would be fun, and maybe I could learn something in the process.

Dave, this becomes somewhat problematic because even if two rooms are about the same size does not guarantee uniformity. In other words, no two rooms will sound the same even if they are the same or nearly the same size. Some rooms are more sub friendly so to speak whereas other create problems all the way around. There is no real set standard per se for a specific sub. However, many manufacturers will give you some idea of performance in a specific size room usually in cubic feet. Hence, large rooms can benefit from the use of more than one sub. Of course, it also depends on a person's expectations/requirements albeit in the form of how loud he wants it to play. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil
Twisted Dave's Avatar Twisted Dave 07:03 PM 06-27-2008
That helps a bunch, Phil. Thanks. I didn't even think about those factors. I wonder how different my results would be, considering my living room is connected to my rather large kitchen, which then leads through to the dining room and family room. Even under these conditions, the Plus still performs well, but I'm starting to feel the need for a second. It's just a matter of getting the WA, and placing/hiding the sub as well as possible so she doesn't complain lol
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 08:16 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:

That helps a bunch, Phil. Thanks. I didn't even think about those factors. I wonder how different my results would be, considering my living room is connected to my rather large kitchen, which then leads through to the dining room and family room. Even under these conditions, the Plus still performs well, but I'm starting to feel the need for a second. It's just a matter of getting the WA, and placing/hiding the sub as well as possible so she doesn't complain lol

Glad I could help Dave. Keep in mind, however, that I am by no means an expert. By the way you describe your room, it sounds very similar to my former room. As such, I can easily say a single Plus would not had been enough for MY needs. If you can afford it, and it is okay with the wife go for it I always say. Two Pluses co-located will yield a 6db increase in output. If, on the other hand, you decide to place them apart, you can obtain a smoother and more even bass response thus increasing the sweet-spot. The bottom line is this-only YOU can decide how much bass YOU need as well as how tight YOU want it to sound. Getting to know thyself is what this hobby is all about. Personally, I know what I prefer and do my best to obtain it. This is a gradual process rather than an immediate awareness of what YOU prefer. Time is usually all that is needed as well as keeping an open mind. Of course, sooner or later money also becomes an issue. We all have a specific budget to work with and it is here where I get the best I can with what little I have to spend.

Cheers,

Phil
laugsbach's Avatar laugsbach 09:21 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:

No reason for the test other than boredom and an excuse to tweak for a day. I figure it would be fun, and maybe I could learn something in the process.

Hey Twisted,

My definition of heaven.

BTW, I thought manufacturers tested and rated their subs out in an open field and not a room per se.

Larry
audiofreak38's Avatar audiofreak38 09:45 PM 06-27-2008
Quote:

Hey Twisted,

My definition of heaven.

BTW, I thought manufacturers tested and rated their subs out in an open field and not a room per se.

Larry

That is correct Larry. What I meant to say is most give a limit of how big of a room it can perform well in. Others, even mention that in most rooms you will get even deeper response. Did not mean to confuse or misinform. Guess, I needed to be a bit more specific.

Cheers,

Phil
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop