AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post

Hi Everyone.

I have heard that at least for some external amplifiers, it is preferred that they are plugged directly into the wall rather than a surge protector as this may impede the performance. Does this apply to subwoofers as well? I have been scouring for answers but can't find anything consistent. I have my sub on a different outlet than my other components due to it's location. I have seen the panamax md2-rca recommended for subwoofers before. Does anyone know if that would in any way hurt the power consumption or the outlaw's performance?

Thanks!

You will be fine. The outlaw amps won't pull too much current to worry about tripping the surge protector. The surge protector is not a bottleneck in the circuit either.
Noman74656 and mattdub1 like this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7126 Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Guys, I just got a used Outlaw LFM-1 Plus off Craigslist to replace my wimpy Pioneer 8" SW-8 (Andrew Jones) sub. I have no idea how to set-up my LFM-1 Plus properly. Please advise...

I have it near my seating area (sofa). My room is 18ft wide x 28ft long x 8.5ft high. Screen is on the width side. My current 7.1 speaker setup is: Pioneer SP-FS52 towers (fronts), SP-BS22-LR (surrounds) and SW-8 (subwoofer) (now being replaced by LFM-1 Plus).

Should I set all my speakers to small, crossover to 80Hz, then run Audyssey? What about the sub? Set X-Over to 'Active'? I have both ports open and set port to 'Max Output'. Set crossover to 80Hz? Set volume to 5? Finally, set phase to '0'?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7113 of 7126 Old 06-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Guys, I just got a used Outlaw LFM-1 Plus off Craigslist to replace my wimpy Pioneer 8" SW-8 (Andrew Jones) sub. I have no idea how to set-up my LFM-1 Plus properly. Please advise...

I have it near my seating area (sofa). My room is 18ft wide x 28ft long x 8.5ft high. Screen is on the width side. My current 7.1 speaker setup is: Pioneer SP-FS52 towers (fronts), SP-BS22-LR (surrounds) and SW-8 (subwoofer) (now being replaced by LFM-1 Plus).

Should I set all my speakers to small, crossover to 80Hz, then run Audyssey? What about the sub? Set X-Over to 'Active'? I have both ports open and set port to 'Max Output'. Set crossover to 80Hz? Set volume to 5? Finally, set phase to '0'?

Yes, your speakers should all be set to small. The crossover in your AVR is recommended to be set at 80 kHz. This is a THX recommendation, and it really just depends, some on here crossover at 100, but I personally cross mine over at 80. Make sure the X-Over switch on the back of the sub is not set on active since you will be utilizing the crossover in your AVR. Volume (gain) on the back of the sub is another contested topic. I have two Outlaws (a Plus and an EX), and my gain knob is set at about 2 or 2.5 on both. When I first set both of them up, I turned the gain knob to about 6 on both and put on some dubstep. I had pictures fall off of the walls. What I was told when I originally purchased these subs was you wanted to try to get your room correction adjustment on your sub as close to 0.0 as possible. With my gain knobs on 2.5 my room correction (YPAO) reads -1.5.

Hope this helps. I am by no means a professional, so maybe some on here can give you a little more advice. This thread has not seen much action lately though.

post #7114 of 7126 Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll try Audyssey with gain at 3 as my room is kinda large.

post #7115 of 7126 Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll try Audyssey with gain at 3 as my room is kinda large.

For what it's worth, the room that I originally had the subs in was over 5,000 cubic feet. Yours stands at about 4,300. 3 or 4 on the gain may be what you need, just try and get Audyssey to read it as close to zero as possible.

Side note, you will LOVE that sub. It is unreal the dimension a good sub or subs add to music and movies.

If you haven't seen Skyfall, there is a scene in it that is my favorite to demo bass output. If you have seen it, you know which scene I am talking about

And of course, let me know how it goes, and your general thoughts on the Outlaw.

Last edited by grizimes; 06-19-2014 at 06:53 AM.
post #7116 of 7126 Old 06-19-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I have seen 'Skyfall'... you mean the Skyfall ranch house blowing up, subway train crash or another scene?

post #7117 of 7126 Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I have seen 'Skyfall'... you mean the Skyfall ranch house blowing up, subway train crash or another scene?

The subway train crash. Awesome scene.

post #7118 of 7126 Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried it out last night... awesome indeed . This sub just trumps my Pioneer 8".

post #7119 of 7126 Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Tried it out last night... awesome indeed . This sub just trumps my Pioneer 8".

I noticed that you had also been looking at SVS, what made you decide on the Plus?

post #7120 of 7126 Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Price. Found an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus locally via Craigslist for $350. Couldn't justify paying more than double for 2x PB-1000's or a PB-2000.

post #7121 of 7126 Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys. New Oulaw LF-1 Ex owner here (and new to subwoofers as the Ex is my first). I just want to make sure I have everything set properly with my speakers. I have the Pioneer 52 towers as fronts, the CS 22 as center, and the Pioneer 22's as surrounds. I am using a Denon X2000 for my receiver. I ran Audyssey from listening position 1, chose calculate, and adjusted the volume nob until I got it set to 0 (which looks like it is around 2). After getting that set, I ran Audyssey for the rest of the listening positions (even though I don't have 8). After it was completed, I went in and manually changed the front speakers to "small" and changed the crossover on the fronts and center to 80 hz. I left the surrounds at 120 hz. The crossover switch on the back is not set on active. Does this sound correct? Anything else I need to check for on the sub itself or the receiver.

I've attached a sketch of my room and I have the Ex placed in the right corner near one of the front speakers (that is where the wife wanted to put it). Do you all think that is a good placement? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (83.0 KB, 6 views)
post #7122 of 7126 Old 08-09-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Seems good to me. How does it sound?

After you get used to how they sound together, you could try a 60hz crossover with the towers, but I wouldn't worry about trying it for a few weeks.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7123 of 7126 Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Seems good to me. How does it sound?

After you get used to how they sound together, you could try a 60hz crossover with the towers, but I wouldn't worry about trying it for a few weeks.
Does it matter where the "crossover frequency" knob is set on the back of the Outlaw since the crossover switch is set to "bypass"?

I have never had a sub before so I don't really have a point of comparison. It's hard to judge on TV and have only watched a couple of movies on it. My wife said she could hear the whole movie on the next floor up from our basement (where the HT is) and some pictures were shaking a bit. I wasn't physically feeling an overwhelming bass though. Long story short, I'm not sure what is normal.
post #7124 of 7126 Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Does it matter where the "crossover frequency" knob is set on the back of the Outlaw since the crossover switch is set to "bypass"?

I have never had a sub before so I don't really have a point of comparison. It's hard to judge on TV and have only watched a couple of movies on it. My wife said she could hear the whole movie on the next floor up from our basement (where the HT is) and some pictures were shaking a bit. I wasn't physically feeling an overwhelming bass though. Long story short, I'm not sure what is normal.
If you have the switch on bypass it doesn't matter where the crossover knob is set to.

If your wife is hearing the sub in another room or on another floor and you are not getting a good response, try moving the sub to a different location. Without measuring equipment you can find a good spot by doing the sub crawl test. Put the sub in your main listening seat and crawl around on the floor to where it sounds the best.
post #7125 of 7126 Old 08-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
If you have the switch on bypass it doesn't matter where the crossover knob is set to.

If your wife is hearing the sub in another room or on another floor and you are not getting a good response, try moving the sub to a different location. Without measuring equipment you can find a good spot by doing the sub crawl test. Put the sub in your main listening seat and crawl around on the floor to where it sounds the best.
If I do the sub crawl, do I need to rerun Audyssey for listening position 1 and get the sub level set to 0, and then finish the full calibration before doing the crawl?
post #7126 of 7126 Old 08-10-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Find the best placement for your sub and then run audyssey.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page