Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #7201 of 7217 Old 11-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I think it would really depend on your room and how you use it. If you need help at a certain frequency and adding a second can help with that then you may hear/feel something you've been missing so that in and of its self could be a wow. Also if you just want to push it as loud as you can the extra db's could be huge. If you don't have any major nulls and you only listen at moderate volume you might not see the difference as much.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7217 Old 11-19-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah I have a poorly shaped large room with some definite nulls and I do like to listen loud . Sounds like it would be a good improvement
post #7203 of 7217 Old 11-19-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Agreed. I had the klipsch and the plus is a definite upgrade!!
What was the difference between the two? Are you using the port plug?
post #7204 of 7217 Old 11-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfinished94 View Post
What was the difference between the two? Are you using the port plug?
I'm not using the port plug because my room is big and I listen loud so I go for output over the extra few hz extension. The difference is that once you go to a higher quality sub like the plus, it just sounds different. Rather than being so boomy and always hearing the bass, you start feeling the bass more. Cleaner, tighter, a lot more output and more extension even though they both have 350 watt RMS. In my opinion, the outlaw smokes the klipsch. Its not uncommon from what I read for people to switch to a good sub like the plus and not like it the first day or two. That's because your used to hearing boomy bass rather than clear bass. After your ears hear the clean bass for a few days you would never want to go back to the klipsch. At least it was that way for me....
post #7205 of 7217 Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was finally able to get some new fuses to replace the blown fuse in my Outlaw sub. I replaced the fuse and it blew instantly. I got a pop when I plugged it in, but no power. I tried a second fuse just to be sure and it blew too. It seems my problem is bigger than a blown fuse.

I logged a ticket with Outlaw support, but does anyone here know what I can expect? Anyone else had this problem before? Thanks.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #7206 of 7217 Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for everyone's feedback earlier in this thread. I ordered the LFM-1 Plus, and it should arrive Tuesday. I cannot wait!

Question: My other speakers are Monitor 70, 30 and CS2. I have the ability to control the crossovers in each speaker set, and have been running them at 60 Hz on the L/R because my budget Dayton sub only plays one low note anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that the LFM-1 Plus will do much better in the upper bass frequencies than my Dayton could dream of...do you guys recommend starting out with an 80 Hz crossover across the board? Also, what is the typical output lost using the port plug? Should I start with the plug in (I'm eager to get some low extension), and then if I desire more output take it out? I do have a very large room, so this decision will likely come into play. Thanks.
post #7207 of 7217 Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback earlier in this thread. I ordered the LFM-1 Plus, and it should arrive Tuesday. I cannot wait!

Question: My other speakers are Monitor 70, 30 and CS2. I have the ability to control the crossovers in each speaker set, and have been running them at 60 Hz on the L/R because my budget Dayton sub only plays one low note anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion that the LFM-1 Plus will do much better in the upper bass frequencies than my Dayton could dream of...do you guys recommend starting out with an 80 Hz crossover across the board? Also, what is the typical output lost using the port plug? Should I start with the plug in (I'm eager to get some low extension), and then if I desire more output take it out? I do have a very large room, so this decision will likely come into play. Thanks.
I'd go with the crossover Audyssey sets for starters. You can change to taste later if you want.

Since you said you weren't dissatisfied with the output of the Dayton I would start with the port plugged and see how it goes. If you find the sub is distorting or you're getting chuffing you can unplug it. If you decide to run the Dayton and Outlaw together you might find integration a little easier with the ports open.
post #7208 of 7217 Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What would you do if me. Have an approximate 3600 cu. ft. basement getting finished. Will be going with emp tek bookshelf speakers for front and rear. Setup will be almost entirely for movies and TV.

If you wanted to spend 900-1000 on sub, would you go for two of the lfm1-plus woofers on sale or one soon to be released Hsu Vtf-15h mk2?
post #7209 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post
What would you do if me. Have an approximate 3600 cu. ft. basement getting finished. Will be going with emp tek bookshelf speakers for front and rear. Setup will be almost entirely for movies and TV.

If you wanted to spend 900-1000 on sub, would you go for two of the lfm1-plus woofers on sale or one soon to be released Hsu Vtf-15h mk2?
In general, assuming that the subs are real performers, (Outlaw or any of the other other well-respected brands discussed in this forum) two subwoofers is probably the better option, due to opportunities of smoothing out room response.
post #7210 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Just picked up a used LFM-1 (not a plus.) I see it has two ports, does plugging one do anything useful on this sub? I did get the original manual with it but it didn't say anything about that. It did impress a basshead friend already though

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
post #7211 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Can anyone comment with personal experience on how big a diff it makes when you added a second outlaw? I've read the varying 3-6db increase and smoother response but I'm wondering if others went WOW when they added another or if it was a minor difference? Thanks
With proper placement, you will get double the output(5-6 db), and a much smoother response. How do you ensure proper placement? Measure your room. Without doing that, its a crapshoot. How do you measure your room?

Download REW(free) onto, preferably, an HDMI laptop. Purchase umik-1 mic. Buy a long HDMI cable, long enough to go from your laptop to your AVR. Measure your subs and adjust placement, phase, gain, delay, etc to get the smoothest frequency response possible before applying any EQ(such as Audysey). If you do not have capable subwoofer eq capability, included with some AVR's, you can get a miniDSP. This will be the largest improvement anyone is likely to ever make for the quality of bass in your system.
One sub, two subs with no eq, two subs with eq(the FR you see of the single PB2000 was basically the same for the three subs I have had...PB2000, XS30, and XV15se) Dual subs filled the horrible null in the FR but left peaks. Eq pulls the peaks down, and I put in about a 5 dB house curve to make the bottom end hit harder for movies at moderate volume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	single pb2000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	380969   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual xv15se no eq.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	380977   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual xv15se 15-120 after eq.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	380985  

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Last edited by bear123; 11-23-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #7212 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post
I was finally able to get some new fuses to replace the blown fuse in my Outlaw sub. I replaced the fuse and it blew instantly. I got a pop when I plugged it in, but no power. I tried a second fuse just to be sure and it blew too. It seems my problem is bigger than a blown fuse.

I logged a ticket with Outlaw support, but does anyone here know what I can expect? Anyone else had this problem before? Thanks.
Probably going to need a new plate amp because repairing it would cost almost as much as a new one to do it right.
post #7213 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post

Get dual subs and place each one in opposite corners front to back.
post #7214 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks bear 123. I looked at REW but it looks very confusing for me. Do I need to have an external sound card ?

What's the best way to set dual subs up with audyssey multi eq in a denon 590 with only one sub input? I read about gain matching them in the middle of the room. And then doing the sub crawl to find the best location for each as long as they are equidistant from the mlp. Then do I just connect both and run audyssey? Thanks

Are these the correct procedures?
1. Gain-match the two subs so that they are playing at the same levels.
2. Experiment with various positions in your listening room to find the best location for the subs. Since Audyssey can only set one delay for the sub channel, the two subs should ideally be equidistant from the MLP.
3. Connect the subs to the AVR using a Y-cable so that each sub receives the same signal.
4. Run Audyssey room correction.
5. Check the resulting sub channel trim in the AVR. The level should not be "maxed out", i.e. at -12dB or +12dB. If maxed out, go back to step 1, adjust the sub gain down or up, depending on whether the trim was -12dB or +12dB, respectively, making sure the two subs remain gain-matched. Then run calibration again and verify the trim is no longer maxed out.

Thanks

Last edited by mattdub1; 11-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #7215 of 7217 Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Probably going to need a new plate amp because repairing it would cost almost as much as a new one to do it right.
That's what I was afraid of. What are my options for replacing the amp? Get one from outlaw, or is there a better/cheaper option?

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #7216 of 7217 Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nagel View Post
Just picked up a used LFM-1 (not a plus.) I see it has two ports, does plugging one do anything useful on this sub? I did get the original manual with it but it didn't say anything about that. It did impress a basshead friend already though
Another question. I'm using an AVR to drive this with LFE out. Does the crossover knob do anything with the line level input or is it for the speaker level inputs only? It's mostly an irrelevant question as I have it turned all the way up and am letting the AVR handle bass management, but I don't actually know and would like to, just because I'm curious.

thanks!
post #7217 of 7217 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Pg. 8 of the LFM-1 / LFM-2 owner's manual (PDF) says to flip the X-Over switch to "Bypass" to disable the x-over if you're using an AVR with bass management. I would do that.

And it doesn't seem that the LFM-1 was designed to have its ports plugged. So I wouldn't do that.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers