Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Mery Christmas/Happy Holidays! After some family time on Christams eve/Christmas day, I am going to spend some quality time with my Home theater!
SupaKats and Matt2026 like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Mery Christmas/Happy Holidays! After some family time on Christams eve/Christmas day, I am going to spend some quality time with my Home theater!
That's what I will be doing tomorrow. Family does Christmas on Christmas Eve so pretty much all day tomorrow not a whole lot going on. I have a new tv stand/entertainment center to set up and tomorrow I plan on really getting everything dialed in as well.

AVR - Denon AVR-X1100W
Mains - RBH R5Bi
Center - RBH R5Ci
Sub - Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Plexi-glass top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Don't know if I damaged the plexiglass or not, but i ignored the manual and used some cleaner on the plexiglass. I have since just wiped it off with a old Tshirt. i will have to look closely to see if I have damaged it in any way...
Question, please: Several people have mentioned a "plexi-glass" top on their Outlaw subwoofer. I just had an LFM-1 EX delivered (love it!!!). However, it has what appears to me to be a tannish laminate top (insert). Seems durable. Is this what is being talked about? I do not appear to have a scratching issue.

Thanks.

And, btw, I am absolutely astounded at the volume, clarity, and extension this thing offers in my large cubic footage (6500+) listening area. Now, I do have it in a very nearfield position, but even so! Most people I asked had suggested 18" subs (up to 4 of them). WAF had me back down to 15", max. Then, after getting my existing Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 more properly set up, she was not real wild about the effect. So, I backed off my thinking/plans/preferences, saw the great deal on the Outlaw closeout, and jumped.

I am so glad, and the 12" really does an incredible job--or so it seems to me.

JiminSTL

AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-35
Speakers: (Klipsch) KLF-30, KLF-20, KLF-10, KG 4.2, KLF-C7, KV-4, RC-3
Subs: Outlaw LFM-1 EX, (Klipsch) LF-10 & Synergy Sub-10
Old 12-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The tan laminate needs to be peeled off. That's the protective layer they put on to protect the plexi underneath
Old 12-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
The tan laminate needs to be peeled off. That's the protective layer they put on to protect the plexi underneath
Matt, thanks for the quick reply! Shows you what I know; I think it looks and feels nice. Is there really any reason I should remove it? Actually, seems to do exactly what I want to in terms of being a functional table top. Good WAF, too. And it blends perfectly w/ our other furniture. But maybe there is a good reason that I should remove it? Does it wear poorly if I leave it on?

JiminSTL

Old 12-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminSTL View Post
Matt, thanks for the quick reply! Shows you what I know; I think it looks and feels nice. Is there really any reason I should remove it? Actually, seems to do exactly what I want to in terms of being a functional table top. Good WAF, too. And it blends perfectly w/ our other furniture. But maybe there is a good reason that I should remove it? Does it wear poorly if I leave it on?
To follow on a little further, does anyone know if/have any experience with REMOVING that plexi-glass top to give it another look (such as a hammered copper spray paint), and reinserting it into the top of the sub?

Thanks!

JiminSTL

Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM

I can't say for certain whether there are issues with leaving the tan laminate on. I do remember reading a long time ago that a guy had some issues with doing that but I believe he talked to outlaw and they switched the type of paper to prevent further issues. Its probably fine to leave it on if you like. I have to imagine they sit in the warehouse for long periods of time before being purchased and that cover is on there that whole time.

Last edited by mattdub1; 12-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I can't say for certainty whether there are issues with leaving the tan laminate on. I do remember reading a long time ago that a guy had some issues with doing that but I believe he talked to outlaw and they switched the type of paper to prevent further issues. Its probably fine to leave it on if you like. I have to imagine they sit in the warehouse for long periods of time before being purchased and that cover is on there that whole time.
Matt, what you say makes sense to me!

JiminSTL

Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 237
i can imagine NO consequence of leaving a paper adhesive of your Outlaw sub, except that it might be much harder to peal if off down the road. Shoudn't affect sound quality or cause any deterioration.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 12-25-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree. If you like the way the protective top looks and feels it might be best to leave it there. The glossy black plexiglass lurking underneath is classy looking but a real bitch to keep clean and almost impossible to keep scratch free!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldFagen View Post
Agree. If you like the way the protective top looks and feels it might be best to leave it there. The glossy black plexiglass lurking underneath is classy looking but a real bitch to keep clean and almost impossible to keep scratch free!
Uh, I think I prefer what ALREADY is attractive and simple! Why complicate things needlessly? Thanks.

JiminSTL

Old Today, 12:31 PM

Can anyone tell me if the sub signal would degrade with a 40ft sub cable run? Thanks
Old Today, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the sub signal would degrade with a 40ft sub cable run? Thanks
Hi Matt,

I don't know, but Mediabridge sells them up to 75'. Dual Shielded with Gold Plated RCA to RCA. If you don't get an answer here you could give them a call and ask. I've purchased two subwoofer cables from them and found the price reasonable. http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-UL...ubwoofer+cable

Here's a number they gave me in a followup email. "Just reply to this email for help or give us a call at 856-216-8222"

Regards, Ken (Retired)
Denon AVR4520CI; 9.1 setup (Hope to be 9.2 soon)
Samsung 55H8000 TS02; Samsung BD-F7500 (2014)
Klipsch R-12SW Subwoofer (Looking to add SVS PC2000)
LRC & RS = Celestion 5s & 3s; Front height and side surrounds = Polks