Official Outlaw Owners thread - Page 248 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #7411 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
So I finally had the time to connect my second lfm plus tonight. I have them connected to a y splitter. When I turned them off by flipping the power switches one at a time, the one that was still on played noise while the other was shutting down. It played a fluttering bass noise that slowly descended as the other one's amp was powering down... Is that normal? It sounds like residual power/signal or something left in the circuit that is coming through to whichever one is still turned on. It happens with both of them depending on which one I shut off first...
I've got two Outlaws connected the same way, with a Y-splitter. I just leave mine on standby all the time. I have never powered them down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post
I've got two Outlaws connected the same way, with a Y-splitter. I just leave mine on standby all the time. I have never powered them down.
Would you mind powering them down once just to see if you get the same noise?
post #7413 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
Buy a USB mic (the UMIK-1 or the UMM-6), and download the free room measurement tool REW. You'll be able to measure and see exactly what is happening at your MLP, and find out exactly where the best place for your subs are.
Thanks for the advice. It seems really complicated to set that up. Admittedly, its possibly out of my comfort zone...Wouldn't I need to buy an external soundcard for my laptop and a USB mic? I tried looking at several guides but am still confused what connections I need to make for few to work
post #7414 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Thanks for the advice. It seems really complicated to set that up. Admittedly, its possibly out of my comfort zone...Wouldn't I need to buy an external soundcard for my laptop and a USB mic? I tried looking at several guides but am still confused what connections I need to make for few to work
It's really not that complicated with a USB mic. You just plug it in to your PC or Laptop with the downloaded REW software, and follow the steps outlined here in this easy AVS set-up guide by Austin Jerry: Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

It might take you an hour to set everything up, but once you've got it figured out you'll be golden going forward for any of your measurement needs. There is a TON of help if you need it here at AVS - you can find the thread here:
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

Really anyone who's serious about their sound should measure to see what's going on in their rooms. You'll also be able to see what the response is across the entire frequency range, so you can play with toeing in and out speakers, positioning etc. It's a no brainer
mattdub1 likes this.
post #7415 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The x12 blends so nicely with the RC70s. Finally I feel like I have reached the sound I was after a year or so ago when I started this. I have upwards of 400w per speaker (dep on the ohm-age which varies - the highs amps are 125w @ 8hm / 180 @ 4ohn and lows amps are 200w @ 8ohm and 300 @ 4ohm) - I know it's overkill and I might have some placebo but when I bi-amped these it felt like opened up a new level of sound quality. The clarity is of the sound is just addicting to listen to a moderate to high volumes. So clear, clean, lively, smooth.. I think adding all the amps don't make things louder per say - but lower distortion so you can listen at higher volumes with zero fatigue.

Here's an older review of these I took to heart:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm

"My advice to potential buyers of the RC-70s would be to spend money on quality electronics to extract everything they have to offer. They can sound very good with budget gear, but their performance was elevated as the quality of the upstream components improved. The RC-70s are certainly revealing. When fed a signal that is as refined as they are, the result is so impressive that one might forget all about upgrading and simply get on with just listening to music. If this isn't the point of being an audiophile, I don't know what is."

YMMV but I think this is spot on. (I think I posted this review a while back also, lol. oh well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post
That Outlaw I'm sure pairs nicely with your RC's, I run dual Outlaw's (Plus & EX), with my RC 7.2 setup. Still impressive to me more than 2 years later. Can't imagine what those RC's can output hooked up to external amplification. I always wondered about that...

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Pioneer Elite DV-47ai | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + Outlaw Ultra-X12
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #7416 of 7435 Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Does anyone wished Outlaw had more subwoofer options?

(Asking a random question to join in this thread. Purchased my LFM-1 Plus in November of 2014)

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review - Motion 40 and HTD Level 2 Tower review coming "soon"!
Receiver : Denon x4000
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Towers, surrounds
Subwoofer : PB1000 (soon to be duals!)
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #7417 of 7435 Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 353
To answer your question, bgt, yes, but there is something to be said for keeping it simple and making the best product you can. I look at the Polk lineup of speakers and many of them are just crap!
Of course, now I think Outlaw only has the x12...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #7418 of 7435 Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It's been a while and I have spent time listening to a lot of different music on my Ultra-X12 and I have to say it performs admirably with just about all music. I know it's supposed to shine for HT but I am loving mine for music only. I am running it in max power mode still. I think this sounds a little more punchy at lower volumes but I need to play around with max extension mode more. I only tried it for a little bit and switched back to max power because it seemed like I needed more gain at lower volumes. In max power mode it goes plenty low for my listening and I am very used to that sound now. I'll switch it up in a bit and see how I like it in the other mode.

Elihawk - Outlaw also has that smaller 8 inch sub too, but yes, the Ultra-X12 is the only larger sub they offer now.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Pioneer Elite DV-47ai | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + Outlaw Ultra-X12
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #7419 of 7435 Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwvl View Post
I am going to be adding a Ultra X-12 to my LFM-1 plus and I have a couple questions.
1) I will be running them from my Pioneer SC-77 Receiver - My plan to minimize the amount of cables needing to be run (my subs are in the back of the room) was to just run them from one subwoofer out with a y splitter. Does it matter where that Y splitter is at? Can I run one cable to the back of the room and then split it to the two different subs instead of doing the y at the receiver?

2) As far as setting them both up, I know I need to set the level indepedently ( I have not been using MCACC) but what about phase setting? They will be symmetrical to the listening position.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helson View Post
Hey, let us know what your set up sounds like when you get the Ultra. I was thinking of adding the Ultra to go with my Plus too. I just saw this review on CNET...http://www.cnet.com/news/may-the-for...x12-subwoofer/
I too am interested in :
If you notice any sonic diff between the Plus and the x-12
The result of using both these subs vs. just the Plus
post #7420 of 7435 Old 04-01-2015, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I too am interested in :
Just getting over the winter up here in the Northeast. I haven't taken the time to order up the X-12 yet.
post #7421 of 7435 Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

I have an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus for sale. It's less than a year sold, virtually perfect condition other than the fact is technically used. It is used in a small room so the gain never surpassed 4 or 5. This sub has been well taken care of, I just think it's a little too big for my room. I'm asking only $300 - for local pick-up in the Houston, TX area

I will a couple sub cables also from Monoprice: a 25 ft. cord and a 6 ft. cord.

I have the original manuals, and both the carpet and hardwood spikes.

post #7422 of 7435 Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is LFM - EX1 67 or 80 lbs? The manual says 80 while the website says 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7423 of 7435 Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post
Is LFM - EX1 67 or 80 lbs? The manual says 80 while the website says 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the EX is 80 and the plus is 67.
post #7424 of 7435 Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I too am interested in :
Sorry i have been really busy at work. I have been very happy with the combination. I have the plus set to max output and the x-12 to max extension. My thinking was that they would match a little closer this way above 20 hz but i would still get the lower extension of the x-12
post #7425 of 7435 Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Just picked up the EX; was surprised to how thin the power cord was.
post #7426 of 7435 Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared, or seen a comparison of the lfm1 ex or lfm1 plus and the x12? Just wondering how similar they are?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
post #7427 of 7435 Old 04-07-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Has anyone compared, or seen a comparison of the lfm1 ex or lfm1 plus and the x12? Just wondering how similar they are?
While not exactly what you are looking for but this article will at least note the changes in X12 compared to the earlier Outlaws.

http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-...ofer-reviewed/
post #7428 of 7435 Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, that is probably as close to an answer as I will get...nice review!

post #7429 of 7435 Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Returning Amp

I purchased an Outlaw 7125 am last fall and finally finished my basement HT. Upon hooking up the amp I noticed a buzzing sound from 3 of my 7 channels. After spending some time troubleshooting the problem I came to the conclusion it was the amp. After customer service at Outlaw confirmed this I was instructed to send the unit in for repair. I received an email that stated I needed to use the same box it was shipped or order a new box. When I looked into ordering a new box (I didn't keep mine but then again if I kept every box from every component I ever bought my wife wouldn't have a parking spot in our garage ha!) I noticed it was going to cost $46.54 to order a box and have it shipped to me. Then, I get to pay shipping to send it to Outlaw. Does anyone have experience shipping back a defective product? This seems a bit steep, no?
post #7430 of 7435 Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplufkin View Post
I purchased an Outlaw 7125 am last fall and finally finished my basement HT. Upon hooking up the amp I noticed a buzzing sound from 3 of my 7 channels. After spending some time troubleshooting the problem I came to the conclusion it was the amp. After customer service at Outlaw confirmed this I was instructed to send the unit in for repair. I received an email that stated I needed to use the same box it was shipped or order a new box. When I looked into ordering a new box (I didn't keep mine but then again if I kept every box from every component I ever bought my wife wouldn't have a parking spot in our garage ha!) I noticed it was going to cost $46.54 to order a box and have it shipped to me. Then, I get to pay shipping to send it to Outlaw. Does anyone have experience shipping back a defective product? This seems a bit steep, no?
I too need to buy the boxes / styrofoam to ship an amp (M200), which was damaged by FedEx. However, I'm wondering if it is even worth sending it back now.
post #7431 of 7435 Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

That does sound a bit steep for a freaking box! I really don't know what kind of customer service Outlaw has and I hope I never find out!

post #7432 of 7435 Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was originally going to send my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus back after I purchased it. I don't remember my exact date of purchase, but it was around the beginning of November 2014. Anyways, for thanksgiving we went out of town which broke into the first week of December. I used the sub a lot when I first had it. Moving it around the room, playing with music, etc. I was having issues with the output and, what I now know, are nulls. The sub was my 2nd HT sub and I was/am very new to HT. I never felt satisfied with it. I thought it was the sub having issues, so I called Outlaw. I told them my dilemma because my 30 day trial was already over. The response they gave me was very pleasing. They said they would make an acceptation and I would be able to send the sub back at their cost - even though I had technically had the sub for 35 days. This conversation was on the phone with Outlaw, and I was never put on hold and the conversation was friendly and short. Outlaw never tried to hint that this was a placement or user error, they simply gave me an acceptation to send it back for a full refund.

After continuing to research about HT subs, etc., I concluded this was a user error, and not the sub; I decided to keep it.

Anyways, this story was my experience with Outlaw and their customer service, and I got no impression of them trying to make more profit on my purchased unit. I do work at UPS, so I can say the shipping is slightly high, but Outlaw is probably charging you for the extra box and packing supplies. I would contact them again, but I believe they will ship the unit back to you for free. The reason I say this is because:

I am currently having trouble with my Denon X4000 receiver. It makes random static pops, and occasionally faults and shuts down. Long story short, no troubleshooting, resetting, or swapping of cables, wires, or speakers has helped. Denon gave me the address of the closest repair shop based on my zip which was in Austin, TX (I am located in Houston, TX) which is about a 3 hr. drive given a little traffic. I asked if I could ship the unit instead because of obvious reasons. They said I could, but I was responsible for shipping the unit to the repair shop. I asked how I would get the unit back, and Denon customer service told me they would ship it back at their expense. So maybe Outlaw has the same policy about getting the unit back to you.

post #7433 of 7435 Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
It seems high to me. I get why they would prefer everything shipped in the original box, but as long as it's well packed, what difference does it make?

I understand not wanting to keep all your boxes. I throw mine out too, but usually after I'm sure the product isn't defective. I'll typically keep them for a year or so.
post #7434 of 7435 Unread Today, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just picked up a LFM-2 from Craigslist.

I am going from a Velodyne HGS15 to an LFM-2. so from a mammoth 15" to a svelte 8".

what i know now after installing the LFM-2 is that the Velodyne was way too big for my room. The sound is so much cleaner from all of my speakers now. I hear things i couldnt before because the velodyne would over power the rest of the system.

i find it amazing how much bass, and clean bass is produced from the 8" outlaw. now i am missing some "punch" from the velodyne, but the cleaner all around sound more than makes up for it.

if anyone knows how to get more punch, please let me know.

now do i go and find a second? laugh
post #7435 of 7435 Unread Today, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
That's about right. Fedex(and UPS) has minimum charges applied per the box dimensions. In some cases shipping the amp might be the same cost as shipping air. Whether or not they shoudl cover all costs per the product being defective is open to debate I suppose.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page