Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 7137 Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have clear pictures of the LFM-1 EX ? Lots of pictures out there but not very good ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 7137 Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When I get mine, Ill take a crap load of them if people want to see them. Ill host them and they will be the 5 mega pixel type.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #63 of 7137 Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Here my system showcase.. it has some lfm-ex shots.

>> http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=68217
post #64 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, got it in yesterday and plugged it up:

Absolutely love it, I'm getting low now that I knew I was missing on my 10 year old Energy 12". You just gotta love how Outlaw ships stuff. Double boxed and they even wrap the friggen thing in cloth (see my pics).

I took a few 5 mega pixel snaps:

LFM-1 EX

Look how much bigger then my old energy sub it is (which is front fire)!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #65 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

@
post #66 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Decent pics probably better than most I've seen on the web. Can you take a good pic of the seams?? How does it sound in the lows? Feel lots of rumble? I like the looks of it .
post #67 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Decent pics probably better than most I've seen on the web. Can you take a good pic of the seams?? How does it sound in the lows? Feel lots of rumble? I like the looks of it .

As compared to the Energy next to it with 150w, the outlaw dominates it. It really isn’t all that much *louder* of course (in the room) but the thing digs WAY deeper. For example:

Sir Mix-a-lot Testorosa

Some of the bass in that song is pretty hard core. That rap song is one of the few songs that my Energy had no idea what to do with the bass in it. It couldn’t even produce it.

I plugged the Outlaw in and was absolutely shocked at how clear the bass was on all of its different types.

I haven’t tested a movie yet, I only have about an hour in music alone. But my space that it is in now has to be the worst acoustic space there is. When my HT space is done in 2 weeks which has the beginnings of a proper sound room, Ill know more.

I was shocked at how loud it sounded *outside* the room.

I have run that front fire sub for so long. I always wondered why people say you can’t tell where bass comes from but with the side fire Energy, I did. I could tell direction with it. I love the downward fire. For the first time on my rig, I actually could not place where the base was at, it just existed.

post #68 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterankoman View Post

Congrats on your new sub.

I looked over your pics and I have a question. Is the woofer surround suspension foam as it appears in your pictures?

The foam was type that fits on the corners only. They were maybe something like 6 inch's by 6 inches, not all the big in the realm of packaging, however the box was in the top 99% as far as shipping packaging goes and I put 15 years in at UPS so were talking a million

post #69 of 7137 Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

@
post #70 of 7137 Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Nice sub, tleavit. I look forward to hearing more reviews after you finish your HT room.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #71 of 7137 Old 09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

@
post #72 of 7137 Old 09-13-2007, 03:07 PM

If you want a definitive answer, just call Outlaw directly.
post #73 of 7137 Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM

I just added a Hsu MBM-1 to my LFM-1 EX in max extension and am in bass heaven right now. Flat to 15hz in my room, awesome punch; I couldn't ask for more!
post #74 of 7137 Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanion View Post

I just added a Hsu MBM-1 to my LFM-1 EX in max extension and am in bass heaven right now. Flat to 15hz in my room, awesome punch; I couldn't ask for more!

That must sound sweet. Can you take a picture of the pair and post it here? Thanks.

The sub in its current location unfortunately has a bass dead spot in the prime seating area. When I walk a few feet away, the sub is noticeably louder. Now that I replaced the CRT TV w/ a DLP one, I'll move the sub next to the TV and hopefully that will improve the bass.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #75 of 7137 Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I moved my LFM-1 Plus sub right between the TV and right speaker. I finally took off the paper from the top of the sub. Wow, that gloss sure is shiny!

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #76 of 7137 Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Ill be joining the ranks of Outlaw audio owners as soon as I get home from work. I ordered one of the B Stock LFM + with the free shipping deal. I can't wait to play around with the sub tonight. My only prior sub experience is with a Velodyne CHT-12 so I expect a big leap in performance.
post #77 of 7137 Old 09-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

@
post #78 of 7137 Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm also an outlaw owner... 970 owner considering picking up a 990 with the sale that's going on and possibly an LFM-1 Plus as well to replace my current Klipsch Reference LF-12 that I'm not sure was ever actually publically released as a product... Anyone have any thoughts on how the LFM-1 Plus might compare?
post #79 of 7137 Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

What volume settings are you all using for your Outlaw subs? I have mine at 6 on the sub (and +0 on the receiver). I'm thinking of lowering it to 5 on the sub (LFM-1 Plus).

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #80 of 7137 Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 AM

I have mine between 2 and 3 and -6 at the receiver. calibrated to 85db with the avia disc and shack meter.
post #81 of 7137 Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

What volume settings are you all using for your Outlaw subs? I have mine at 6 on the sub (and +0 on the receiver). I'm thinking of lowering it to 5 on the sub (LFM-1 Plus).

Doesn't really matter what others are using. Just set your receiver's sub level setting to -5 then calibrate your sub to whatever level you used for your speakers (75db or 85db) using the gain on your sub.

Some people may use 2 on their gain but others may use 5 or higher. The two I have in my room (different locations) use different settings even though they are both calibrated at the same level and independant of each other (this is due to the room).
post #82 of 7137 Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello fellow Outlaw owners. I am in need of a new sub and have been considering all possibilities. As such, I have been looking at Hsu and Outlaw as well as various other offerings. My question is how does the Outlaw LFM-1 EX compare to the Hsu VTF3.3? I noticed that the 3.3 has dual 4" ports and the LFM-1 EX has dual 3" ports. How does the LFM-1 Plus compare to these two? It is my understanding that the LFM-1 Plus is very much nearly the same as the VTF2.3. If that is the case, then is the LFM-1 EX on par with the VTF3.3?? My intention here is to NOT to start a sub war but rather to gain some very useful information. Keep in mind that my preference is on musical performance BUT I do want to have good ht effect. I really like punchy, tight, fast, articulate bass that is well-defined revealing distinctness in the transient response. I really could care less if it only plays down to the low 20's as I want more output in the 25-65 Hz range. My room is a tad under 2000 ft^3 with an opening to a small hallway closet and my dining area. My seating position is about 9 ft. away from my tv and my couch is up against the back-wall. Please offer some advice if you are familiar with both the Hsu and the Outlaw products outlined herein. Thank you for your time.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #83 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody care to offer a comment? Surely, there are some Outlaw owners here that have owned Hsu subs OR at the very least familiar with them. I hope there is anyways...........LOL!!!!! Please chime in if you can.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #84 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM

The most difference you will probably notice between the EX and the 3.3 is the look. The EX has ports on the bottom which help reduce port noise and makes it easier for placement since you don't have to worry about being too close to a wall, the 3.3 has them at the back. Either will be more than adequate (overkill really) for your size room. However, the HSU does have the option of the turbo if you want that extra performance later on.

The difference between the EX and LFM-1 Plus is that they are the same except that the EX has a larger enclosure which allows it to go deeper (16hz vs 18hz) and a littler louder (+3db supposedly).

Any of these subs will perform well for your room, so if you want to save some money go with the Plus but if you gotta have that extra oomph that may or may not be that noticeable, stick with the 3.3 or EX. These subs also do well with music, so no need to worry about that. I would solely base my opinion on looks and cost between the subs you are looking at, you can't/won't go wrong with any decision you make. I went with Outlaw over HSU due to the downward firing ports and liked the look of the Outlaws better.

BTW, the LFM-1 Plus is regarded to be equivalent to the HSU VTF 3.2 which is discontinued. The VTF 2.3 is its successor which isn't as powerful (only 250watts) as the VTF 3.2 (rated at 350watts).

Edit: forgot to add that all of these subs are tuneable - max extension mode (will go 18hz and below depending on which) and max output mode which seems what you want, so use that when you buy one. Max output gives you an extra kick in the 25hz and above range, just don't forget to take the port plug out (they come shipped in max entension mode).
post #85 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

Doesn't really matter what others are using. Just set your receiver's sub level setting to -5 then calibrate your sub to whatever level you used for your speakers (75db or 85db) using the gain on your sub.

Some people may use 2 on their gain but others may use 5 or higher. The two I have in my room (different locations) use different settings even though they are both calibrated at the same level and independant of each other (this is due to the room).

I was just curious what settings others are using. It looks like "6" is too high. Every once in a while, my sub "pops", as if it's trying to do too much. So I'll drop the sub to "5".

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #86 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Good answer. That leads me to another curiosity question. For those who have LFM-1 Plus/EX, do you have it in the max output or default max extension mode? I kept it as max extension, but I honestly haven't played around w/ it to try it both ways now that I moved the sub to its permanent location next to my DLP TV.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #87 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The most difference you will probably notice between the EX and the 3.3 is the look. The EX has ports on the bottom which help reduce port noise and makes it easier for placement since you don't have to worry about being too close to a wall, the 3.3 has them at the back. Either will be more than adequate (overkill really) for your size room. However, the HSU does have the option of the turbo if you want that extra performance later on.

The difference between the EX and LFM-1 Plus is that they are the same except that the EX has a larger enclosure which allows it to go deeper (16hz vs 18hz) and a littler louder (+3db supposedly).

Any of these subs will perform well for your room, so if you want to save some money go with the Plus but if you gotta have that extra oomph that may or may not be that noticeable, stick with the 3.3 or EX. These subs also do well with music, so no need to worry about that. I would solely base my opinion on looks and cost between the subs you are looking at, you can't/won't go wrong with any decision you make. I went with Outlaw over HSU due to the downward firing ports and liked the look of the Outlaws better.

BTW, the LFM-1 Plus is regarded to be equivalent to the HSU VTF 3.2 which is discontinued. The VTF 2.3 is its successor which isn't as powerful (only 250watts) as the VTF 3.2 (rated at 350watts).

Edit: forgot to add that all of these subs are tuneable - max extension mode (will go 18hz and below depending on which) and max output mode which seems what you want, so use that when you buy one. Max output gives you an extra kick in the 25hz and above range, just don't forget to take the port plug out (they come shipped in max entension mode).

Thanks for the info but I still have a few questions. You said the EX will go lower and play a little louder +3db -so is this true mainly for the lower octaves or will it also be louder in the 25-65 Hz range? I am NOT too concerned about extension below 22 hz or so. Which means, I am NOT interested in the turbo at all. The ports being on the bottom does what? Make placement easier perhaps? I know putting a sub w/rear firing ports in a corner can really make the bass more prominant and much more localized as such does that mean the EX is easier to place?? I also need to know how the dual 3" vented ports compare to the dual 4" ports? That is, would the dual 4" ports just allow the 3.3 to play lower more loudly as compared to the EX??? If so, then this would be of little concern to me. I have to be concerned with music because that is where my preference is. BUT, I also want good ht performance as well. Just dont need my sub to extend below 22 Hz or so. If it does that is fine but it is NOT a must for my application. However, tight, punchy, articulated bass is that must also have good definition when listening to music. So, out of the 3.3, EX, and the Plus which one would do a better job musically speaking??? I am aware the 3.3 is probably better over-all so a better question would be how much better is the 3.3 when compared to both the EX and the Plus? If the 3.3 just digs deeper with less distortion then I may just go with the EX or the Plus and save some money. Just need to ascertain as much info as possible so that I can make a well informed decision.

post #88 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Thanks for the info but I still have a few questions. You said the EX will go lower and play a little louder +3db -so is this true mainly for the lower octaves or will it also be louder in the 25-65 Hz range?

It will achieve higher DB ratings, so yes it will be able to achieve higher SPL readings throughout the range but 3db isn't all that much if you ask me unless you're trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out (which doesn't sound like you are).
Quote:

I am NOT too concerned about extension below 22 hz or so. Which means, I am NOT interested in the turbo at all. The ports being on the bottom does what? Make placement easier perhaps? I know putting a sub w/rear firing ports in a corner can really make the bass more prominant and much more localized as such does that mean the EX is easier to place??

Ports on the bottom reduce port noise (the sound of air rushing through the ports), this is mainly noticable when playing low frequencies when the woofer is displacing alot of air through the ports. By having them on the bottom, it greatly reduces this problem and also allows you to place the sub next to the wal if you wanted since you wouldn't have the ports against the wall. Generaly subs with rear ports need to have some space between the wall and the sub so it can breathe and not sound boomy. Most people tend to space it from the wall about 2"-3", so for the Outlaw you don't need to worry about this.
Quote:

I also need to know how the dual 3" vented ports compare to the dual 4" ports? That is, would the dual 4" ports just allow the 3.3 to play lower more loudly as compared to the EX???

Correct

Quote:

If so, then this would be of little concern to me. I have to be concerned with music because that is where my preference is. BUT, I also want good ht performance as well. Just dont need my sub to extend below 22 Hz or so. If it does that is fine but it is NOT a must for my application. However, tight, punchy, articulated bass is that must also have good definition when listening to music. So, out of the 3.3, EX, and the Plus which one would do a better job musically speaking??? I am aware the 3.3 is probably better over-all so a better question would be how much better is the 3.3 when compared to both the EX and the Plus? If the 3.3 just digs deeper with less distortion then I may just go with the EX or the Plus and save some money. Just need to ascertain as much info as possible so that I can make a well informed decision.

Subs that can play low frequencies (even beyond what you need) make the HT experience more fullfilling when watching movies such as War of the Worlds and others that have really low bass. I would say since you don't need the capabilities of the 3.3, it will cost you the most (unless on sale), I would take it out of the running.

Now the only question you have is should you go with the EX which has the ability to play slightly louder and digg a tad bit deeper for $100 extra (keep in mind this is also larger in size - check your space requirements) or save money and go with the Plus. Between the EX and the Plus they will both be equally musical so it doesn't matter which way you go, overall the Plus is all you need. Even though the Plus is the lower model of the three you won't be dissapointed at all with it, will probably blow you away at how good it is.

Edit: Keep in mind that the best sub in the world may not perform to your expectations in regard to tight and articulate bass if your room isn't the best for sound reproduction in which case you would need room treatments (bass traps, sound panels etc...). Alot of people love the Auralex Gramma which can help for better acoustic isolation.
post #89 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

^ Good answer. That leads me to another curiosity question. For those who have LFM-1 Plus/EX, do you have it in the max output or default max extension mode? I kept it as max extension, but I honestly haven't played around w/ it to try it both ways now that I moved the sub to its permanent location next to my DLP TV.

Just watch a few scenes on each mode and see what you like best. If you tend to like the 'punch you in the chest' bass more, you will likely feel that max output is more your thing.

I have both of my Plus subs in max extension since I like feeling the bass in the lower frequencies and since I have two, it still punches you in the chest plenty.
post #90 of 7137 Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will achieve higher DB ratings, so yes it will be able to achieve higher SPL readings throughout the range but 3db isn't all that much if you ask me unless you're trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out (which doesn't sound like you are).
Ports on the bottom reduce port noise (the sound of air rushing through the ports), this is mainly noticable when playing low frequencies when the woofer is displacing alot of air through the ports. By having them on the bottom, it greatly reduces this problem and also allows you to place the sub next to the wal if you wanted since you wouldn't have the ports against the wall. Generaly subs with rear ports need to have some space between the wall and the sub so it can breathe and not sound boomy. Most people tend to space it from the wall about 2"-3", so for the Outlaw you don't need to worry about this.
Correct

Subs that can play low frequencies (even beyond what you need) make the HT experience more fullfilling when watching movies such as War of the Worlds and others that have really low bass. I would say since you don't need the capabilities of the 3.3, it will cost you the most (unless on sale), I would take it out of the running.

Now the only question you have is should you go with the EX which has the ability to play slightly louder and digg a tad bit deeper for $100 extra (keep in mind this is also larger in size - check your space requirements) or save money and go with the Plus. Between the EX and the Plus they will both be equally musical so it doesn't matter which way you go, overall the Plus is all you need. Even though the Plus is the lower model of the three you won't be dissapointed at all with it, will probably blow you away at how good it is.

Edit: Keep in mind that the best sub in the world may not perform to your expectations in regard to tight and articulate bass if your room isn't the best for sound reproduction in which case you would need room treatments (bass traps, sound panels etc...). Alot of people love the Auralex Gramma which can help for better acoustic isolation.

Hey, the 3.3 is on sale right now for $629. Do you think that it is worth the extra money for my needs? I did want to mention that I did own a SVS PB10-NSD and the PB12-NSD and never felt overwhelmed in any way. Both did a great job with ht BUT did not find either of them musical at all. The PB12-NSD was much better down low whereas the PB10-NSD was just a tad bit better with music. I also owned the Mirage Omni S12 at one time and found it to be MUCH better than the PB12-NSD/PB10-NSD musically speaking AND just as good as the PB10-NSD with ht. In short, the Mirage S12 was a much better blance between the two extremes of ht and musical performance. Kinda wished I had not gotten rid on the S12. The S12 was also bottom ported and I never had a problem w/port noise. That is one thing I can NOT stand is "chuffing" sounds/port noise. With that said, which would you get and why???

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page