post #241 of 7126 Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegoat View Post

sub(lfm 1+) is up an running, ordered on monday and received today. haven't played to much but sounds great so far. the tank tapping in finding nemo sounded & felt great. very happy so far

If you want an incredible LFE experience, rent or buy Cloverfield. After the first 15 minutes, it's non-stop LFE.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 7126 Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

If you want an incredible LFE experience, rent or buy Cloverfield. After the first 15 minutes, it's non-stop LFE.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Larry

thanks Larry

it's a movie I want to see anyway, now there is another reason

just curious are most of you running max output or extension? I'm in output now
post #243 of 7126 Old 05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Extension - due to the added MBM.

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #244 of 7126 Old 05-03-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks Larry

it's a movie I want to see anyway, now there is another reason

Hey littlegoat,

I have set it both ways for a couple of weeks and settled in on extension. I watch movies 100% of the time and when you watch Cloverfield, extension, IMHO. Also, I have placed my sub near-field (behind my sofa) until the MBM shows up.

weverb is right; I can't wait to get the Hsu MBM

Larry
post #245 of 7126 Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM

yeah, I am done for a bit with new purchases. wife has been great, but another sub might be tough to explain. Still can't believe how much of a difference the outlaw is over the old JBL. Great with movies, the PS3 and music. I will give it a week or so in output and then switch to extension and see what sounds(and feels) better
post #246 of 7126 Old 05-10-2008, 04:55 AM

Ok our mind is made up...the wife and I are going with an LFM+

We have hardwood floors, has anyone ordered recently and received the discs with their order? I read in the thread a little while back that they weren't shipping with the floor discs and people had to call to get them shipped.

Edit: Bought an SVS 20-39 PCI instead.
post #247 of 7126 Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post

Ok our mind is made up...the wife and I are going with an LFM+

We have hardwood floors, has anyone ordered recently and received the discs with their order? I read in the thread a little while back that they weren't shipping with the floor discs and people had to call to get them shipped.

I asked about the discs when I called to place my order, and the rep. said the ship with any order. They have worked great on the hard wood, and both the spikes and discs are metal. The discs have felt backing to prevent damage to your floor.
Enjoy your new +
post #248 of 7126 Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM

I just became an Outlaw owner.

I ordered an LFM 1 plus last Fri, and Fed Ex delivered it today, that's good shipping.

I received the discs with my order.

I'm probably going to wait until this weekend to set it up and try to get it dialed in. It'll be movie night Saturday night!

Edit for misspelling and unintended inuendo's
post #249 of 7126 Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Rivrrat,

Congratulations on your purchase! The LFM-1+ just rocks the house!

Let us all know what you think after you dialed it in. Enjoy.

Larry
post #250 of 7126 Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Any news on when Outlaw is going to do a hdmi 1.3 receiver? I currently own an Outlaw 1070 Home Theater Receiver. (A great receiver by the way). However I am missing all of the new audio formats from my PS3.

I have come sooooooooooo close to buying a denon 3808 but am waiting to see what outlaw can do. (But one can only wait so long).

PS. I also own the Outlaw LFM-1 and agree that the beast just rocks music and movies.
post #251 of 7126 Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There's been no official word yet, but there was some mention of new products in the pipeline last fall (in an October newsletter) - at that point, they had one or more product stuck waiting on the Cirrus 49700 DSP chip. Since I've seen reports from elsewhere indicating that the 49700 remained delayed at least an additional six months, with samples not shipping to manufacturers until about a month ago (although I haven't really figured out where the chip stands as far as large-scale production or approval from the folks like Dolby and DTS). If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we're still months away from any HDMI 1.3 hardware from Outlaw - and we're as likely to see that first piece be a processor like the 990 as we are to see a receiver like the 1070. Sorry I can't be more help...

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #252 of 7126 Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

There's been no official word yet, but there was some mention of new products in the pipeline last fall (in an October newsletter) - at that point, they had one or more product stuck waiting on the Cirrus 49700 DSP chip. Since I've seen reports from elsewhere indicating that the 49700 remained delayed at least an additional six months, with samples not shipping to manufacturers until about a month ago (although I haven't really figured out where the chip stands as far as large-scale production or approval from the folks like Dolby and DTS). If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we're still months away from any HDMI 1.3 hardware from Outlaw - and we're as likely to see that first piece be a processor like the 990 as we are to see a receiver like the 1070. Sorry I can't be more help...

Thanks for the info Gonk!!
post #253 of 7126 Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey folks, just ordered a new LFM-1Plus!!!!!! I have owned both the SVS PB10-NSD and the PB12-NSD. Also have owned a Mirage S12 and Hsu VTF-3MKIII. Currently, I own a Mirage S10 but will now give an Outlaw LFM-1Plus a chance. Just hope it measures up. My new dedicated ht room is much smaller coming in at only 706 ft. ^3 that is fully enclosed. Thus, the Mirage S10 does a superb job but just want more of it. I do believe the LFM-1Plus will do the job. It is kinda scary what the Plus may do in such a small ht room. The Mirage S10 is now up for sale!!!!!!

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #254 of 7126 Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi audiofreak38,

Congratulations on your LFM-1+ purchase.

Please stop back and tell all of us how the 1+ stacks up with the rest of the subs you have experienced. I am really interested in the comparison to the Hsu & SVS.

Larry
post #255 of 7126 Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi audiofreak38,

Congratulations on your LFM-1+ purchase.

Please stop back and tell all of us how the 1+ stacks up with the rest of the subs you have experienced. I am really interested in the comparison to the Hsu & SVS.

Larry

Hi Larry. Well, to be fair most of all of the subs I have owned were in my former ht room which was much larger and open to other rooms. With that said, it really would not be a fair comparison. I will say, however, that of all the subs mentioned the VTF3.3 was significantly better with music. The same holds true with respect to the PB12-NSD and ht performance. The rest were no slouches in that regard. Keep in mind too, that the PB12-NSD has been improved. I also preferred the pitch of the PB10-NSD the best of all. What surprises me is just how good the Omni S10 performs. It really does not sound like a 10" driver but larger. I just want more of it and I do believe the Plus is up to the challenge. I will post my initial impressions as soon as I can.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #256 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Hi Larry. Well, to be fair most of all of the subs I have owned were in my former ht room which was much larger and open to other rooms. With that said, it really would not be a fair comparison. I will say, however, that of all the subs mentioned the VTF3.3 was significantly better with music. The same holds true with respect to the PB12-NSD and ht performance. The rest were no slouches in that regard. Keep in mind too, that the PB12-NSD has been improved. I also preferred the pitch of the PB10-NSD the best of all. What surprises me is just how good the Omni S10 performs. It really does not sound like a 10" driver but larger. I just want more of it and I do believe the Plus is up to the challenge. I will post my initial impressions as soon as I can.

audiofreak - you should have stayed with the HSU! Even in the smaller room, there is no such thing as overkill !

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
post #257 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

moved

post #258 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weverb View Post

audiofreak - you should have stayed with the HSU! Even in the smaller room, there is no such thing as overkill !

I did not get rid of the 3.3 because of too much bass. It was because my former home had a roof leaking problem. Got rid of all my gear before it all got ruined due to water leaking in. I had no idea at the time I would be living in a much newer home. Otherwise, I would still have the 3.3. However, we all live and learn. Sometimes, life's lessons are costly.

post #259 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I did not get rid of the 3.3 because of too much bass. It was because my former home had a roof leaking problem. Got rid of all my gear before it all got ruined due to water leaking in. I had no idea at the time I would be living in a much newer home. Otherwise, I would still have the 3.3. However, we all live and learn. Sometimes, life's lessons are costly.

Why not get another HSU 3.3 and keep the headroom?? I bet you will have 2 Outlaws later
post #260 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Why not get another HSU 3.3 and keep the headroom?? I bet you will have 2 Outlaws later

Very good question Mike. Well, if you only knew how small my ht room is. The 3.3 is a bit larger than the Plus so I opted for the Plus. The 3.3 is also more expensive. Lastly, the Plus is a down-firing sub with down-firing ports. These do help to reduce distortion. Therefore, I just decided the Plus would be my best option right now. It is doubtful I will need a second Plus but you never know I always say. I was also looking at the Epik Valor but it too was more expensive.

post #261 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Plus= looks nicer also. Post has it sounds compared to the rest
post #262 of 7126 Old 05-17-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

These do help to reduce distortion.

Why would downfiring ports or drivers reduce distortion. If the port or driver is producing distortion, the directiion they are firing is not going to help.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #263 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Why would downfiring ports or drivers reduce distortion. If the port or driver is producing distortion, the directiion they are firing is not going to help.

They don't, it's just marketing hype. I'll stick with my front firing sealed sub thank you.

Thanks,

Ron
post #264 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Plus= looks nicer also. Post has it sounds compared to the rest

Yeah, the Plus does have a nice look to it. I just recently seen a good pic of one on audiogon and was really impressed with what I saw. As far as comparisons go, most would come from memory and as such be highly subjective. My new dedicated ht room is ONLY 706 ft.^3 whereas my former was a little under 2000 ft.^3 and was open to to a small hallway closet as well as my dining/kitchen area. Basically, the room would be much closer to 3000 ft.^3. My new room is not only much smaller, it is fully enclosed with an oblong shape to it. The room roughly measures 15' L X 7.5' X W X 7' H. It really is kinda scary thinking what the 3.3 or the newer designed PB12-NSD would do to a room that small. I am amazed at just how good the Omni S10 is performing. Anyways, when I get the Plus and once it is dialed in properly, I will be more than happy to share my thoughts.

post #265 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well Curtis, I guess you need to ask Outlaw on that one. From what I understand, down-firing ports reduces distortion due to the design itself. Mirage has claimed basically the same thing. Down-firing ports also allow for placement options that may not be available to a front or rear firing port design. The Omni S10 does sound extremely clean in my small ht room. It has plenty of extension with good visceral impact when watching a movie as well as providing some very tight, articulate bass when simply listening to a cd.

post #266 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickofthehype View Post

They don't, it's just marketing hype. I'll stick with my front firing sealed sub thank you.

So, are you implying that Outlaw is making a false claim? Sorry, but I am a bit confused here. Care to elaborate?

post #267 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Curtis I may have confused myself. Correct me if I am wrong, but the down-firing ports help to reduce port noise right? So, the higher the distortion the more port noise becomes audible. Am I correct here? If not, then what causes port noise??? That is one thing I do not care for is port noise. The only time I have heard any was when the driver bottomed out. I am still a bit confused here. Care to help as I know you seem to know a lot about this stuff.

post #268 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 AM

I don't care for ported designs they usually have higher distortion than a good sealed design like a Velodyne DD series or a Martin Logan Descent or Depth. I think all ported designs will produce port noise at a certain volume level, some more than others. Can you point me to a white paper or controlled test that proves downward ports reduce noise ? If so great and forgive my ignorance. If not then it is just marketing hype.

Thanks,

Ron
post #269 of 7126 Old 05-18-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickofthehype View Post

I don't care for ported designs they usually have higher distortion than a good sealed design like a Velodyne DD series or a Martin Logan Descent or Depth. I think all ported designs will produce port noise at a certain volume level, some more than others. Can you point me to a white paper or controlled test that proves downward ports reduce noise ? If so great and forgive my ignorance. If not then it is just marketing hype.

This issue comes up almost every day. The difference is that sealed designs will roll off more gradually at the lowest frequencies, while a ported design will have a much sharper roll of below its tuning frequency.

As far as distortion, the Velo DD series has the servo mechanism that will hold both distortion and output down as the subs limits are approached.

Some ported subs have been designed with limiters to hold distortion down.

It's interesting to note that in the test by Tom Nousaine, the $15,000 sealed Velodyne DD-1812 put out only 0.1 db more output from 25-62Hz than the $1,600 Epik Conquest. Even more interesting the Conquest just murdered the $15,000 Velo DD-1812 from 25Hz down to 12.5 Hz. The Conquest put out 112.3 db at 25Hz vs. 107.6 db for the DD-1812, 109.3 db for the Conquest at 20Hz vs. 103.9 db for the DD-1812.

And for people who like pipe organ or the deepest effects on DVDs, the Conquest did 104.7 db @ 16Hz vs. 101.9 db for the DD-1812.

Last but not least, at 12.5 Hz the Conquest put out 103.9 db with only 3.4% distortion.
The Velodyne DD-18 could not reproduce 12.5 Hz at any level without exceeding 10% distortion.
post #270 of 7126 Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Have any of you heard both an Outlaw ex and an AV123 mfw-15? I have the mfw-15 scheduled to arrive in a few weeks but recently have started to think about switching to a down-firing sub due to active kids/room config. Looks are important which is why I had these two on my radar all along.

What will I be giving up with the outlaw? Range seems similar so I assume just overall "impact" due to the 15 inch versus 12 inch?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page