Holy smoke, my Buttkicker amp caught on fire! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there a list of serial numbers of the amps in question.I got my kit about 6 months ago and I was just wondering .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Call Buttkicker...it is a recognized defect in a production run. They should/will replace the amp for free and send you a return label for the fried amp.

I made a call on Monday (a couple of months ago) and had the new amp by Friday.

Edit: I see others talked about this same series problem in some of the above posts.

When was the production run sold? Recently or years ago?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #33 of 57 Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

When was the production run sold? Recently or years ago?

I don't know. When I spoke with them, they were surprised that one of that run was still out there and hadn't broken down yet. Since I was the second owner, I had no idea if the first owner didn't use it much or if it was just a slightly abnormal situation...

They were under the impression that most units were returned and that they typically broke down within the first several weeks of use.

I would recommend anyone who has a question just call the company. They will be able to help.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #34 of 57 Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Wow, this is still around??

FWIW, I bought these in an AVS group buy. It was in December, IIRC, but I can't remember if that was Dec '06, or Dec '05 (had them a while before I ever installed them). Even at that age, my serial# was new enough that it wasn't supposed to be in the "bad batch", but it blew anyway. The other amp that I bought at the same time as the bad one is still in service. But I keep it off the vast majority of the time. Only turn it on during specific movies that could benefit from a shaking floor. The replacement amp for the deck sub is also doing fine.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #35 of 57 Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I had one catch on fire too. Fortunately our dog alerted my wife and she called the fire department. I was out of state at my grandmother's funeral one of the scariest days of my life. I did not know this was an ongoing problem.
post #36 of 57 Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well, these guys got my goat. I got a hold of them, and they did not man up.
They asked the application, and I told them, a single 4 ohm subwoofer. (I'm too honest)
They said it was out of warranty, and would offer 25% off another one.

I bought an ep2500 instead, I do not want a amp with a KNOWN HAZZARD on all day while my kids play PS3.

At best I was hoping for a return/exchange and put the new one on fleabay. Maybe I should put this one on, and sell it as a "smoking appliance".

Buttkicker owners BEWARE!

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #38 of 57 Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I ordered two of the butt kicker gamers off Woot about a year ago. I gave one away as a christmas present and held onto the other. I finally got around to setting it up the other day and it didn't seem to work. After a few minutes of troubleshooting I turned it back on and it sparked inside and smoke came out!! I e-mailed them about it, waiting to hear back now. I'm wondering if I should even bother getting a new one. These things sound very dangerous. What if I had left it on for a few minutes??
post #39 of 57 Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlnvlslblE View Post

I ordered two of the butt kicker gamers off Woot about a year ago. I gave one away as a christmas present and held onto the other. I finally got around to setting it up the other day and it didn't seem to work. After a few minutes of troubleshooting I turned it back on and it sparked inside and smoke came out!! I e-mailed them about it, waiting to hear back now. I'm wondering if I should even bother getting a new one. These things sound very dangerous. What if I had left it on for a few minutes??

From the impression I've been reading about these (butt-kickers) seems like a dodgy investment, seems like there only good for one thing. Starting fires! You're damn lucky you didn't lave it turned on, could have touched the whole house while you slept.

LL
post #40 of 57 Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I have had a buttkicker amp for a few years now and have had no issues with it. I do not use it too often so I turn it off by the hard switch when not in use.
post #41 of 57 Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

I have had a buttkicker amp for a few years now and have had no issues with it. I do not use it too often so I turn it off by the hard switch when not in use.

I guess I'm doing good by switching the amp on and off when needed. ;-)

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #42 of 57 Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Just had my Buttkicker BKA1000 amp (purchased in 2008) go bad the other night. This thing powered 2 transducers under my couch, is sparingly used (about 1 to 2x/week in a dedicated home theatre room), and is left on 'standby' mode continuously. The other night I turned on the system to test out my MFW-15 subwoofer amp hum fix-repair (that's for another day), then powered everything off. Left for work, but 1 hour later, my wife smelled something like 'burning bacon' down in the HT room (located in the basement). She noticed the BKA amp was very hot, despite being on standby. I pulled the lid off, and took some pics. Thank god the house didn't burn down!

My unit is not in the previously listed s/n of 'recalled units', so I am going to contact Guitammer to see what they say...obviously, this isn't an isolated problem...

1st 4 pics are of the blown 6800uF-100V cap:

Next 3 pics are of some bad caps, including one that, from appearances, died a spectacular blown death. Not sure if you can see, but I count at least 2 more caps that have ballooned and are bad. I'm guessing the ruptured cap was a 6.8uF-100V cap, but can't be sure...

We'll see what Guitammer says...not sure how they can sell these amps when the failure rate/fire risk is this high...
post #43 of 57 Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish I felt confident to leave the amp on standby. I just can't take the risk. Oh well.

post #44 of 57 Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
wow, now there's an old thread to necro!
post #45 of 57 Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM

better than starting a whole new thread though...
post #46 of 57 Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Us Buttkicker Amp owners need to stick together! ^_^

post #47 of 57 Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

Well, after sending a email to Guitammer, I have to admit, I was very impressed with how quickly they responded to me. Received an email, then an actual phone call with their cust. service gal, and they looked to quickly resolve the issue. They sent me a new product, despite my amp being several years beyond any warranty date. They even paid for shipping my old unit back to them for inspection. Overall, extremely impressed!!!
post #48 of 57 Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM

My amp stopped working (red light doesnt go out or turn green via either of the power buttons) and Guitammer's customer service said I have to pay $60 for a replacement. Only had the amp for 3 years.
post #49 of 57 Old 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sorry to hear about your amp but $60 does not seem too terrible for an out of warranty replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonSky25 View Post

My amp stopped working (red light doesnt go out or turn green via either of the power buttons) and Guitammer's customer service said I have to pay $60 for a replacement. Only had the amp for 3 years.
post #50 of 57 Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my Amp just did the same, pretty scary! My wife and I were sleeping and we woke this morning to a horrible smell through our place and it was mainly in the living room, looking for the issue we noticed the Butt kicker amp was smoking and super hot. All it smelled like was straight chemicals, however I left for work and they're closed so I will call tomorrow, the unit was actually isolated under a coffee table with plenty of ventilation! Really crazy how this could have been much worse! Hope they work with us like they have with so many as I have 4 kickers and all other accessories. My SN is BKA1000-4A-A0011808.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	246826   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	246834   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	246842  

Last edited by kazykd; 09-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.
post #51 of 57 Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazykd View Post
So my Amp just did the same, pretty scary! My wife and I were sleeping and we woke this morning to a horrible smell through our place and it was mainly in the living room, looking for the issue we noticed the Butt kicker amp was smoking and super hot. All it smelled like was straight chemicals, however I left for work and there closed so I will call tomorrow, the unit was actually was isolated under a coffee table with plenty of ventilation! Really crazy how this could have been much worse! Hope they work with us like they have with so many as I have 4 kickers and all other accessories. My SN is BKA1000-4A-A0011808.
Did you have the Amp on from the front hard switch (ie in standby mode) or off?
post #52 of 57 Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Did you have the Amp on from the front hard switch (ie in standby mode) or off?
Never turned the unit off in over two years, but they called me back today at 9AM (est.) and very, very pleasant. Asked a few questions and will indeed send a replacement. Current unit is sitting on my counter but still smells pretty bad. Don't think I've ever received such a polite and understanding conversation from a company before, she also did recommend to turn the power off when not in use as a best practice. Again ave me no problems, so its true what they say their customer service is by far the best I've ever seen.
post #53 of 57 Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
One reason I use Crowns is safety and reliability QSC are another good option .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #54 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Just had a buttkicker amp fail. No smoke..so that's good, but I need a replacement and given this thread, am looking at another brand. Can someone recommend a Rack mount AMP that could replace two off the butkicers? Am powering 2 sets of 3 shakers. Thanks!
post #55 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Just had a buttkicker amp fail. No smoke..so that's good, but I need a replacement and given this thread, am looking at another brand. Can someone recommend a Rack mount AMP that could replace two off the butkicers? Am powering 2 sets of 3 shakers. Thanks!
Crown or QSC might have something see if you can match something up at either website to the requirements of your devices. I believe both offer 3 yr No Fault Warranty .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #56 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

This thread has me very concerned - I have a brand new BKA-1000N in a factory sealed box that has been in storage & which I had planned to use in the future - just wondering if it's worth taking the risk now - looks like they can be a very serious fire/hazard risk. I now thinking what if they starting burning or catching fire at at time when no one was at home or when asleep at night?

Only question is what to replace it with?

Bazzy!
post #57 of 57 Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazykd View Post
Never turned the unit off in over two years, but they called me back today at 9AM (est.) and very, very pleasant. Asked a few questions and will indeed send a replacement. Current unit is sitting on my counter but still smells pretty bad. Don't think I've ever received such a polite and understanding conversation from a company before, she also did recommend to turn the power off when not in use as a best practice. Again ave me no problems, so its true what they say their customer service is by far the best I've ever seen.
I had my bk amp for many years now and no issues but just to be safe I just turn if off from the front hard switch when not in use vs leaving it on and using the auto on feature.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page